Converting U.K. driving licence to NSW

FirstWorldProblems

Looking for pointers on a couple of driving licence related questions please. 

I understand that PR and citizens need to convert their licences writhing 3 months  but I am unclear if the details  

1) Can you retain your U.K. licence for when you are back in the U.K. visiting?  As of a couple years ago it’s very hard to add a foreign licence holder to U.K. insurance temporarily.  

2) My kids will have held full licences for 4 years and 1 year respectively.  Both will be under 25.  I believe they will have to take the theory and practical tests again and will enter the NSW tiered driving licence system according to the number of years experience they have.  Is that correct? 

thanks. 

4 minutes ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Thx. 

Any way of dodging that? Like applying for a replacement U.K. licence because you have “lost” the original?

Rules may have changed in the last few years or could be different for each State, but we didnt have to hand ours in, i dont personally know anyone who has. My advice would be dont hand it unless asked for it.

Cal x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was having a look at this as also curious, looks like it's a no no if you technically have no valid UK address/use someone else's address as your own incorrectly. Some guidance here - 

Can You Renew Your UK Driving Licence as an Expat?– Keith Michaels Insurance

I guess you don't have to hand the existing one in per se, but to be valid your address and residential status has to be accurate, so if you move away from the UK and convert to a license in your new 'home country', it becomes null and void. That's my interpretation anyway.

Edited by Raplin45
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Raplin45 said:

I was having a look at this as also curious, looks like it's a no no if you technically have no valid UK address/use someone else's address as your own incorrectly. Some guidance here - 

I guess you don't have to hand the existing one in per se, but to be valid your address and residential status has to be accurate, so if you move away from the UK and convert to a license in your new 'home country', it becomes null and void. That's my interpretation anyway.

Correct. You can, however hire a car in the UK with a foreign licence. Local car hire is usually  cheaper than anything you collect from the airport. Depending where you are one of the e hire companies may be available (where you hire on line and open the car with an app). We hired one for a fraction of the price of anything else we could find a couple of years back.  Lovely new car, no issues at all.

• Thanks 1

I can only talk for NSW and VIC but in those states you do not have to surrender a foreign licence when you use it as a credential for getting a local licence (whereas if you swap interstate you do surrender the licence).

Whether that foreign licence is still valid is another question though...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

I can only talk for NSW and VIC but in those states you do not have to surrender a foreign licence when you use it as a credential for getting a local licence (whereas if you swap interstate you do surrender the licence).

Whether that foreign licence is still valid is another question though...

I had to surrender my UK licence when I got my NSW and also complete a theory test, but this was over 25 years ago so I guess the rules have changed. I have a friend who recently migrated to QLD, and they mentioned they did not need to surrender their licence either.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2023 at 20:46, Raplin45 said:

If you move back to the UK and renew an expired licence they just send it to you and ask you to destroy your old licence. They don't ask the reason why you didn't renew it for so long, or if you've been overseas, or have another licence - so I don't think 'null and void' would be an accurate description.

• Thanks 1

On 10/08/2023 at 17:17, FirstWorldProblems said:

Thx. 

Any way of dodging that? Like applying for a replacement U.K. licence because you have “lost” the original?

I converted my licence in NSW in 2021 and there was no need to hand in the overseas licence.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, that's what I was going to say.  We've had at least two members come up against that issue and they weren't able to find a workaround.

Yep.  We first encountered it last year.  MIL comes for 8-10 weeks a year.  Made her a virtual prisoner in the house as she's not very mobile.  She and SIL are here now so we tried again and so far haven't been able to find a way.  

I wonder if it’s the same the other way around then.  Last time I was in Australia, my son said I could drive his car.  When I asked about insurance he said his rego covers anyone third party (or something like that) does that mean as I’d be using my UK license I wouldn’t be covered? 

3 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Yep.  We first encountered it last year.  MIL comes for 8-10 weeks a year.  Made her a virtual prisoner in the house as she's not very mobile.  She and SIL are here now so we tried again and so far haven't been able to find a way.  

Didn't you say the way. Just hire a car.

Or get ubers.

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

I wonder if it’s the same the other way around then.  Last time I was in Australia, my son said I could drive his car.  When I asked about insurance he said his rego covers anyone third party (or something like that) does that mean as I’d be using my UK license I wouldn’t be covered? 

Insurance works differently in Australia.

https://www.aami.com.au/faq/can-someone-with-an-international-driving-licence-drive-my-car.html

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, that's what I was going to say.  We've had at least two members come up against that issue and they weren't able to find a workaround.

Google temporary car insurance UK.

You can get insurance.

It sounds like FWP wants to drive in the UK without paying anything, eg hiring a car or for insurance as an international driver on a borrowed car.

He can pay for insurance like everyone has to.

Is there a workaround - insurance fraud but probably the consequences are worse than paying for insurance.

Like travel insurance you can choose to have it or not have it, but if you want it you need to pay for it.

Edited by Parley

14 minutes ago, Parley said:

It sounds like FWP wants to drive in the UK without paying anything, eg hiring a car or for insurance as an international driver on a borrowed car.

He can pay for insurance like everyone has to.

Be reasonable.  If you're a family member, going to stay with family for a few months, isn't it only natural that you'd want to use the family car (which is probably sitting in the garage while they're at work?).  I'm sure FWP wouldn't have a problem paying extra to add his MIL to the family's insurance for that period, but it's not even an option in the UK.  

Edited by Marisawright

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Be reasonable.  If you're a family member, going to stay with family for a few months, isn't it only natural that you'd want to use the family car (which is probably sitting in the garage while they're at work?).  I'm sure FWP wouldn't have a problem paying extra to add his MIL to the family's insurance for that period, but it's not even an option in the UK.  

I don't believe it isn't an option. I've told you how you can purchase the insurance.

Show me where it says you can't pay to have an international driver insured.

10 minutes ago, Parley said:

I don't believe it isn't an option. I've told you how you can purchase the insurance.

Show me where it says you can't pay to have an international driver insured.

Well blow me down, you are right.  @FirstWorldProblems, did you look into this?

https://www.insuredaily.co.uk/landing-g/temporary-car-insurance

Several other insurance companies seem to do the same thing.

It needs to be accepted that the risk of an insurance claim is greater with a  foreign visitor.

Even coming from an English speaking country like Australia many of the road signs will be different and unfamiliar to the visiting driver. I am sure i would not understand many of the road signs driving around the UK. This can naturally lead to a greater chance of accidents.

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Well blow me down, you are right.  @FirstWorldProblems, did you look into this?

https://www.insuredaily.co.uk/landing-g/temporary-car-insurance

Several other insurance companies seem to do the same thing.

I had not come across this - that's very helpful, thank you.  I did not think a car could be covered by 2 policies at once, so perhaps I assumed wrong.  It doesn't mention foreign licence holders, but worth a call.

Edited by FirstWorldProblems
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'm sure FWP wouldn't have a problem paying extra to add his MIL to the family's insurance for that period, but it's not even an option in the UK.  

Thanks @Marisawright That's what we did for about 18 years.  From memory I want to say it was about £100 for a couple of months but rules seem to have changed in the last few years.  It was super helpful - it meant the MIL could entertain the little kids all summer long whilst we were both working.  Like many young families we had neither the money nor space for an additional car so paying to add an overseas driver was great.  Shame that it's changed.  I'm sure there must be a good reason.

• Like 1