Waiting for an invite.....

Rob Frain

So we're ready and waiting and have been doing so for a few weeks now. 

EOI is sitting there on skillselect as submitted with 80 points. I'm going mad every morning checking my emails to see if an invite has come through. Any ideas on when the next Invites for a 189 will come out? I can see that 35,000 went out in early December... Is there anything I can do whilst i wait?

In previous years, you'd have stood absolutely no chance of being invited with such a low score (pre-Covid, no one with a score of under 90 got invited).  However you're in luck, because I believe people with lower scores are being invited at the moment. 

All the same, remember it's a contest, not a queue.  They don't look at applications in order, they cherry-pick the ones with the highest scores.  You may get invited or you may never get invited.  What to do while you wait?  Start decluttering the house.  Otherwise, get on with your life as if you weren't going to get invited.

Checking December many with just 65 points were getting visas, and being two teachers we have everything crossed. There just seems to be a delay - hopefully due to the 35,000 being processed. I know these 35,000 only have 60 days to press apply. I’d be keen to see how many of these pressed apply! 

We actually ate decluttering at the minute so let’s see what happens! 

The way I read the quota guidance is that out of the 195k visas to be granted, 17k are for 189, 55k for 190/491 state sponsored.

So when you consider the average 189 awardee is coming with their partner and on average one child that's 3 of those visas taken up meaning there are effectively 6,000 189 awards available.

If you have a career that your chosen state is sponsoring you are far better applying for a sponsored visa - you get more points, and there 3 times as many chances to get an award.

Also of importance, the 189 is very much highest points first granted, whereas in the state sponsored they can pick and choose a bit more (I had 70pts with a 190 application and was offered in 24 hours of putting in EOI)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

Checking December many with just 65 points were getting visas, and being two teachers we have everything crossed. There just seems to be a delay - hopefully due to the 35,000 being processed. I know these 35,000 only have 60 days to press apply. I’d be keen to see how many of these pressed apply! 

We actually ate decluttering at the minute so let’s see what happens! 

There was a lot pre Christmas that were fast tracked because they had medical backgrounds and at present the medical profession is desperate for people, for most other careers the wait time seems to have increased.

There are also huge amounts of onshore visas where people have applied for a visa after doing 2 years on a Holiday working visa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ausvisitor said:

There was a lot pre Christmas that were fast tracked because they had medical backgrounds and at present the medical profession is desperate for people, for most other careers the wait time seems to have increased.

There are also huge amounts of onshore visas where people have applied for a visa after doing 2 years on a Holiday working visa.

I’ve been reading that teachers are in very short supply in WA. We’ll wait for the next load of invites and if we don’t get one we’ll look at the 190.

As a teacher you need state licensing as well, and they almost always post new teachers into the rural community rather than the big cities.

Given that you might as well accept it and apply for a 491 (or 190) in the state you want to be in, as it will be quicker and either way you'll probably get your first job outside the city anyhow.

I'm sure there are other recent teacher migrants or migration agents that can explain this better as I'm only going off anecdotal stories

Also teacher shortage is really only in the BIG high profile subjects (maths science) the others have more applicants than vacancies

Edited by Ausvisitor

12 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

As a teacher you need state licensing as well, and they almost always post new teachers into the rural community rather than the big cities.

Given that you might as well accept it and apply for a 491 (or 190) in the state you want to be in, as it will be quicker and either way you'll probably get your first job outside the city anyhow.

I'm sure there are other recent teacher migrants or migration agents that can explain this better as I'm only going off anecdotal stories

Also teacher shortage is really only in the BIG high profile subjects (maths science) the others have more applicants than vacancies

In WA they don't post you rural that was phased out about 10 years ago and that was more for new graduates. You can of course choose to go rural and there is potentially more jobs that way. Maths is also not the only shortage subject, schools are keen to listen to English, Science, Maths and Technologies at the moment. HASS not so much but there is some vacancies. There's always an abundance of Phys Ed teachers so a second subject is important. In my experience, currently involved in recruitment of teachers in WA.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

Now two months in and still waiting. We’ll give it another two months and then change to a 481 visa and try and get in that way!

On another thread, I saw someone say they've usually filled the whole quota by this time of year, and won't be issuing any more invites until the new Australian financial year (starts July 1). Might be worth checking to see if that's true.  

I assume the 481 is a typo and you mean the 491

• 1 month later...

Hi, qualified secondary teacher here. Agent put in EOI last Friday and we were invited to apply the following Wednesday. 189 on 65 points. 
Don’t necessarily listen to anyone except a registered agent when they say you won’t get invited. The agents know what’s actually happening now with visas. Most other people it’s just conjecture. 
Same for what people are saying about teaching jobs. I’d only listen to those on the ground at the moment applying for jobs. I have been told on this forum that the best I’ll likely do for a job is some part time language tutoring. Given that I’ve been a small company director, a high school teacher/manager and also have qualifications and experience in the civil service and digital learning, I highly doubt I’ll be settling for a few hours tuition. I have had a job since I was 14 and that’s unlikely to change because I’m moving. 
Good luck with the process and I really hope you got your invite, my agent said it was really just nurses and teachers who got the nod. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Hi, qualified secondary teacher here. Agent put in EOI last Friday and we were invited to apply the following Wednesday. 189 on 65 points. 
Don’t necessarily listen to anyone except a registered agent when they say you won’t get invited. The agents know what’s actually happening now with visas. Most other people it’s just conjecture. 
Same for what people are saying about teaching jobs. I’d only listen to those on the ground at the moment applying for jobs. I have been told on this forum that the best I’ll likely do for a job is some part time language tutoring. Given that I’ve been a small company director, a high school teacher/manager and also have qualifications and experience in the civil service and digital learning, I highly doubt I’ll be settling for a few hours tuition. I have had a job since I was 14 and that’s unlikely to change because I’m moving. 
Good luck with the process and I really hope you got your invite, my agent said it was really just nurses and teachers who got the nod. 

Great news.

Only thing I would add is set your expectations well and you won't be disappointed.

I'm not a teacher but otherwise have a similar sort of storied background to yours in terms of leadership and senior roles.

The one thing I noticed moving here (been here 16 months), was that whilst Aussies like to hear about your overseas success, they also have a "it's very different here though" base setting.

Once you've shown competence though you get over that, I guess what I'm saying is if you expect to walk into a place and be headteacher (or whatever we call them nowadays) you'll probably be disappointed, if you are willing to show them your abilities then no reason why that role won't be yours 12 months later.

I think sometimes this forum does take the doom and gloom too far, but it's usually done with good intentions and the reality is that many people have had that bad experience when coming here, but many more haven't 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Great news.

Only thing I would add is set your expectations well and you won't be disappointed.

I'm not a teacher but otherwise have a similar sort of storied background to yours in terms of leadership and senior roles.

The one thing I noticed moving here (been here 16 months), was that whilst Aussies like to hear about your overseas success, they also have a "it's very different here though" base setting.

Once you've shown competence though you get over that, I guess what I'm saying is if you expect to walk into a place and be headteacher (or whatever we call them nowadays) you'll probably be disappointed, if you are willing to show them your abilities then no reason why that role won't be yours 12 months later.

I think sometimes this forum does take the doom and gloom too far, but it's usually done with good intentions and the reality is that many people have had that bad experience when coming here, but many more haven't 

They're called principals over here, and 12 months would be pushing it unless the school was hit by a meteor and you're the last one standing. That said, you're on point about rapid progression. A colleague of mine went from teacher to principal in 5 years. If you're willing to do a stint in country Australia, take on roles that no one else wants to do, and spend your free time schmoozing then you'll rocket up the ladder - regardless of whether you have talent or not.

• Like 2

On 25/05/2023 at 15:15, RubyMonday said:

Did you get your invite?

I got mine for 189 this morning. 

Yeah we got ours.We're about to try and press the button today to apply. The only thing we're struggling with is getting a photo of our two year old that the photo software their end likes(!) Havent done medicals but they can ask for them if (I expect) they are needed. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

Yeah we got ours.We're about to try and press the button today to apply. The only thing we're struggling with is getting a photo of our two year old that the photo software their end likes(!) Havent done medicals but they can ask for them if (I expect) they are needed. 

Excellent! Well done. 
You will need medicals. 
Hope all goes well. All the best with it! 

14 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Great news.

Thanks. We’ll celebrate if and when we have the actual visa in our hands lol. 

I’ll have to be ambitious with jobs but in all honesty, I’d rather not teach. I have zero ambition to be a headteacher (or principal). I will do what I have to do though. I’ve been out of the classroom for 5 years now and a comeback is less than appealing! However, as we say here what’s for you won’t go by you. 

When I left my first job to retrain as a teacher everybody thought I was mad - why are you doing that? Then when I left teaching to grow our family business - are you mad, why are you doing that? Then when I decided to retrain and get a job in digital learning - are you mad, why are you doing that? I’m sure we’ll get plenty of ‘are you mad, why are you doing that?’ about Australia. However, our mortgage has always been paid and we’ve not gone hungry yet so I’ll bet on myself. I don’t mean that in an arrogant way, more in a I have proved more than once that I can do it way. If I had listened to everyone else about what I couldn’t do, I would literally never have done anything! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Thanks. We’ll celebrate if and when we have the actual visa in our hands lol. 

I’ll have to be ambitious with jobs but in all honesty, I’d rather not teach. I have zero ambition to be a headteacher (or principal). I will do what I have to do though. I’ve been out of the classroom for 5 years now and a comeback is less than appealing! However, as we say here what’s for you won’t go by you. 

When I left my first job to retrain as a teacher everybody thought I was mad - why are you doing that? Then when I left teaching to grow our family business - are you mad, why are you doing that? Then when I decided to retrain and get a job in digital learning - are you mad, why are you doing that? I’m sure we’ll get plenty of ‘are you mad, why are you doing that?’ about Australia. However, our mortgage has always been paid and we’ve not gone hungry yet so I’ll bet on myself. I don’t mean that in an arrogant way, more in a I have proved more than once that I can do it way. If I had listened to everyone else about what I couldn’t do, I would literally never have done anything! 

Nothing arrogant about that whatsoever, you do what you need to do.

As Ausvisitor said come with realistic expectations and you’ll be fine.

I was a Manager at an engineering company before coming out to Aus and had no interest in being one out here. Far too many hours and lost family time for my liking.

Came to Aus went back on the tools for a few years then start of this year I went on a 3 day week to share looking after my newborn with my wife.

Our money covers the mortgage and can have a holiday overseas every year if we wish and that will do for us.

Time to relax for once haha.

All the best with your application 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Excellent! Well done. 
You will need medicals. 
Hope all goes well. All the best with it! 

Thanks. 150 photos taken and not one approved of our little boy! He’s a pain. Also I hear some people get their medical done before applying? Is this correct? We thought you had to wait for a HAP number for the medical? 

Edited by Rob Frain

12 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

Thanks. 150 photos taken and not one approved of our little boy! He’s a pain. Also I hear some people get their medical done before applying? Is this correct? We thought you had to wait for a HAP number for the medical? 

Correct, you need you HAP number and I’m sure your medical and police check is only valid for 12 months.

So you could do them early but run the risk of them expiring.

1 minute ago, Lavers said:

Correct, you need you HAP number and I’m sure your medical and police check is only valid for 12 months.

So you could do them early but run the risk of them expiring.

We got the police checks done in February but left the medicals. We’ll just wait until we get the HAP numbers. I’ve been on a massive diet and been doing 5k a day since the invite! Anyone know exactly what they test for? I also have a 6 and a 2 year old so hopefully it’s not too bad for them? 

47 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

We got the police checks done in February but left the medicals. We’ll just wait until we get the HAP numbers. I’ve been on a massive diet and been doing 5k a day since the invite! Anyone know exactly what they test for? I also have a 6 and a 2 year old so hopefully it’s not too bad for them? 

Nothing to worry about whatsoever, the medicals are very very basic unless you have a known medical condition.

Wee sample and bloods, but if I remember correctly your kids will not need to do blood tests.

Eye test which was just a quick read the first few lines.

Your kids will sit on the bed whilst the Dr puts a hammer to their joints and tests movements etc.

My kids where 4 & 9 at the time, the test for your 2 yr old would be very short I’d imagine as they wont be willing to sit still for too long.

They weigh you and do your height, so unless you’re really overweight I wouldn’t worry about it. Just they may look at diabetes if they thought your weight could be an issue.

Sorry forgot to add that you will do a chest x ray as well. My daughter said she didn’t I couldn’t remember haha.

Edited by Lavers