Uk Hmrc

kelv

Hey guys

Been nearly 5 yrs since we came to this great country,won’t lie been hard been very ill,move from Melbourne to the regionals just before covid and only Pom in the work force,bought our second house last year and sold one so all good and flights booked in September for a visit to the Uk and get a copy of my birth certificate so can get my citizenship [emoji1] then back home to oz.

Just wondering how many of you guys informed hmrc when you left the Uk

This link to the UK government website might help. It clarifies that you must inform HMRC if you leave the UK to live abroad permanently, or to work abroad full time for at least one full tax year. Tax on UK incomes is also referenced, along with the option for paying National Insurance Contributions. T x

https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk

There’s no need to inform HMRC of your departure from the UK.
However, you will generally be required to continue to file a UK income tax return if you have any UK source income.

Thanks I thought that might be the case [emoji6]

1 hour ago, tea4too said:

This link to the UK government website might help. It clarifies that you must inform HMRC if you leave the UK to live abroad permanently, or to work abroad full time for at least one full tax year. Tax on UK incomes is also referenced, along with the option for paying National Insurance Contributions. T x

https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk

ooppss we didnt inform them, not that i can recall anyway.

Cal x

7 hours ago, kelv said:

Hey guys

Been nearly 5 yrs since we came to this great country,won’t lie been hard been very ill,move from Melbourne to the regionals just before covid and only Pom in the work force,bought our second house last year and sold one so all good and flights booked in September for a visit to the Uk and get a copy of my birth certificate so can get my citizenship emoji1.png then back home to oz.

Just wondering how many of you guys informed hmrc when you left the Uk

I told them I was going, as that was the only way to get a refund of the tax I had paid for that financial year. If I remember rightly, the form is a P85

13 hours ago, kelv said:

Thanks I thought that might be the case emoji6.png

There's really no benefit in not informing them.   If you're trying to avoid tax somehow (though I can't imagine how), it's not worth the risk because the British and Australian tax authorities share information these days.

Edited by Marisawright

7 hours ago, JetBlast said:

I certainly did - and got a nice tax refund as a result!

But you would have got that anyway at the end of the year, you didn't get a refund for leaving you got a refund based on how much you earnt and how much tax had been withheld

4 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

But you would have got that anyway at the end of the year, you didn't get a refund for leaving you got a refund based on how much you earnt and how much tax had been withheld

If I hadn't filled out the paperwork and notified them I would have received nothing.

12 hours ago, JetBlast said:

If I hadn't filled out the paperwork and notified them I would have received nothing.

You would have, but without the filing it generally takes about 3 years for them to work through the backlog.

Nowadays it's much quicker and they are working through backlogs from the last decade or so, many people are getting cheques for past overpayments sent back to them.

That said I am looking forward to hitting submit on my final UK tax return and my first AUS one in the next few weeks.

The UK owes me £5,700 in overpaid tax for last year and the AUD authorities about $13,500 for 21/22 tax year.

Kerching ! ! !

• Congratulations 1

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

You would have, but without the filing it generally takes about 3 years for them to work through the backlog.

Nowadays it's much quicker and they are working through backlogs from the last decade or so, many people are getting cheques for past overpayments sent back to them.

That said I am looking forward to hitting submit on my final UK tax return and my first AUS one in the next few weeks.

The UK owes me £5,700 in overpaid tax for last year and the AUD authorities about $13,500 for 21/22 tax year.

Kerching ! ! !

There was me getting excited when I found $10 when the first time I put my coat on this winter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/07/2022 at 10:04, Ausvisitor said:

Kerching ! ! !

Nice isn't it 🙂 I have to say both the UK and AU tax paid me in about a week once I submitted.  

• 10 months later...

Got our citizenship certificate last week so knuckling down and getting my private and state pensions from Uk sorted.Need to voluntarily pay my national insurance contribution to qualify for a full pension went on gov
Website bit of a mind field any easy solutions out there [emoji106]

47 minutes ago, kelv said:

Got our citizenship certificate last week so knuckling down and getting my private and state pensions from Uk sorted.Need to voluntarily pay my national insurance contribution to qualify for a full pension went on gov
Website bit of a mind field any easy solutions out there emoji106.png

Contact the International Pension Centre and ask for a pension forecast. They'll send you a letter telling you what you're entitled to and also an explanation of exactly how to pay.

https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre