I am so bored in Australia

d4ftpunk

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

What I do is I believe, simply state how i find Perth , warts and all and air a degree of comprehension into some of the issues raised by others. But you are correct. I am very dissatisfied with aspects of Perth , I'm being forced to endure. I suspect most all would and it would certainly cloud opinions of living in Perth.  Something of a different issue though for the reasons most often raised on here, although aspects of concerns raised most certainly strike a cord with me.

Here's hoping for a better New Year for all which is reflected in the Toots household, already imagined as a place of imposed serenity.   

Why Poms move to Perth en masse is a mystery.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Marisawright said:

This is true - however, you have to remember that if a migrant is happily settled in Australia and enjoying life, they have no reason to seek out these forums.   So the percentage of those who don't settle is, logically, much higher than it is out there in the real world.

Yes but surely that equates a stat saying the number of people going to a doctor are in some shape or form sick?  Indeed , gloriously content with their living conditions  , or simply indifferent in all likelihood will probably not seek out such forums. Still saying that, more than a few pipe up in varying degrees of contempt for negative views.

2 hours ago, Quinkla said:

Many visas require little or no English. The Ielts 4.5 level for functional English is a very low level, and many visa holders are not even required to get to that level.

I can understand for short term visa but hopefully not PR.

There may be rare cases where a citizen by descent cannot speak English.

40 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

At the end of the day though Bobj, you washed up in an English speaking country, in very different days, not too dissatisfied to be out of England. There were clear markers at least to the economic superiority  of life in Australia, compared to just coming out of austerity, Post War Britain. Today's migrants will find it very far from being so clear cut the benefits of  moving to Australia.  Surely the real measure of integration, of course  may be better ascertained if that country was say Brazil or the like, where a whole new language  and very different cultural sensitivities and ability to really take on board a real difference. 

I originally came from India...And there are many languages spoken there...😛

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

It has bemused me for years that people migrate to a ‘new’ country and seek out their own people  and ways they left behind, rather than try to mix with the people of their chosen nation.

Six months after arriving in Australia, I moved to The Kimberley Region of Western Australia and spent the next  7 years in that magical place, not some pommy enclave in Perth, or any of the big cities.

And all I can say, is that I have had one hell of a fabulous life in the 58 years since I left the UK.

I’ll  gerroff my soapbox now…

Cheers, Bobj.

There was a bloke on here a few years back who had a mate coming out to visit for the first time. He was desperately trying to get advice on English style pubs, Soccer matches and the like.

So silly. Who wants to go on holiday and try and recreate Australia instead of experience a country they may only get to experience one time in their lives.

• Like 4

On 27/12/2021 at 00:18, d4ftpunk said:

I have been living here for a few months, I am originally from an European country and my life is really boring.

I am in my early thirty and we moved in Sydney with my Aussie partner, she has her family and friends here. For her, life is pretty fine. I work for a relatively small company with only a dozen of people in our office and I spend 100% of my time in front of a computer. With Covid, I work mostly from home and I rarely see my colleagues. We are all quite different, they all are Australians and live their life with their partners/kids etc. It doesn’t look like any of them could become an “out of work” friend…

I literally have no friend or family within thousands of kilometres around, the only person I talk to (irl) is my partner. I used to have a lot of friends before moving here and it’s quite depressing to be on the other side of the spectrum. My partner told me to join clubs but I don’t even know which ones, where etc. Beside working, I only go to the gym a few times a week, which is quite a lonely sport.

I am not sure really why I am posting here but it would be interesting to hear how other foreigners manage loneliness and a boring life. I don’t feel homesick, just bored.

Thanks.

Just reminding of the OP and suggestions form managing the loneliness and feeling bored.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Parley said:

I can understand for short term visa but hopefully not PR.

There may be rare cases where a citizen by descent cannot speak English.

You might be surprised if you actually look up the language requirements. 

Be that as it may; fundamentally, the OP states boredom in Australia. Poor person... Use your natural intelligence, surprising what one can achieve if one uses it!

I live in a village that has NO facilities other than a public phone booth. Yet, in the 22 years I have retired here, I cannot understand 2 very common human 'traits', depression and boredom. Never been bored, or depressed. Instead of feeling sorry for one's self, they should use their mind and get off their bums and do something instead of wallowing in self pity.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Here you go, we have just had 3 days of rain, 9 inches total so I read about ancient  crop marks, lit up the old computer and looked for some using Google Maps. What an interesting hobby I just found for dull days when I can't go fishing.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bobj said:

Be that as it may; fundamentally, the OP states boredom in Australia. Poor person... Use your natural intelligence, surprising what one can achieve if one uses it!

I live in a village that has NO facilities other than a public phone booth. Yet, in the 22 years I have retired here, I cannot understand 2 very common human 'traits', depression and boredom. Never been bored, or depressed. Instead of feeling sorry for one's self, they should use their mind and get off their bums and do something instead of wallowing in self pity.

Cheers, Bobj.

Depression is real and shouldn't be fobbed off, although a lot more people claim it these days.

In my extended family a young man committed suicide at age just 24. A horrible thing for his parents and siblings to cope with. They have to carry on but life is always going to be difficult for them. It happened in the week leading up to Christmas so it is a difficult time of year for them.

Probably easy to dismiss if you are not a sufferer or know someone who is,

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Yes but surely that equates a stat saying the number of people going to a doctor are in some shape or form sick?  Indeed , gloriously content with their living conditions  , or simply indifferent in all likelihood will probably not seek out such forums. Still saying that, more than a few pipe up in varying degrees of contempt for negative views.

I would never have found this forum if I hadn't been googling how to renew my British passport.  I found the info I needed on this forum and subsequently joined in with the craic not because I was bored or unhappy.  Purely for the craic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

What I do is I believe, simply state how i find Perth , warts and all and air a degree of comprehension into some of the issues raised by others. But you are correct. I am very dissatisfied with aspects of Perth , I'm being forced to endure. I suspect most all would and it would certainly cloud opinions of living in Perth.  Something of a different issue though for the reasons most often raised on here, although aspects of concerns raised most certainly strike a cord with me.

Here's hoping for a better New Year for all which is reflected in the Toots household, already imagined as a place of imposed serenity.   

It is this afternoon.  Husband has nodded off, the dog is snoring and I've just been for a swim.  Not much happening in our house.  Serenity is a good description.  😉

3 hours ago, Toots said:

I would never have found this forum if I hadn't been googling how to renew my British passport.  I found the info I needed on this forum and subsequently joined in with the craic not because I was bored or unhappy.  Purely for the craic.

It takes all sorts Toots . Just enjoy the craic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobj said:

Cheers, Bobj.

Probably the worst advise you could offer someone suffering any form of The Black Dog. Depression and boredom being to quite differing things anyway. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Parley said:

There was a bloke on here a few years back who had a mate coming out to visit for the first time. He was desperately trying to get advice on English style pubs, Soccer matches and the like.

So silly. Who wants to go on holiday and try and recreate Australia instead of experience a country they may only get to experience one time in their lives.

Same reasons English breakfasts, English pubs, English sports , and so on are available and widely appreciated through out the Spanish Costa's.   

16 minutes ago, Toots said:

😄

Yes, but sometimes when the arguments get a bit heated I withdraw from commenting.  Not as bad these day though.  

Seldom notice anything outside at times a little passion, which in my view there is too little off in life. 

5 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Seldom notice anything outside at times a little passion, which in my view there is too little off in life. 

Not so much the arguments I suppose but in the past there was a fair bit of nastiness from some posters.  Can't really remember who now but I do recall thinking to myself WTF.  Don't like nastiness in any shape or form.  Some folk don't mind it and brush it off but I prefer to have nothing to do with it.  No need for it really.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Toots said:

Not so much the arguments I suppose but in the past there was a fair bit of nastiness from some posters.  Can't really remember who now but I do recall thinking to myself WTF.  Don't like nastiness in any shape or form.  Some folk don't mind it and brush it off but I prefer to have nothing to do with it.  No need for it really.  

I've been in the line of vengeful fire myself here in the past. Never really bothered me, beyond a few rather too personal comments that strayed wellaway from the subject. Reflects somewhat life I guess. No way is everybody going to react in the preferred way , nor remain neutral with regards to reflections of a personal dislike towards though with a view they disagree with. 

17 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The original poster hasn't returned, not surprisingly when you see how far off the subject we've got - and how unhelpful and depressing some of the on-topic posters have been.  I hope she is OK.

Agree.  This thread will be closed and reopened at the OP's request