Quarantine food

Cots

On 17/05/2021 at 18:31, Cots said:

You presume correctly. You don’t move a family of 5 easily across the world without checking everything. What’s not clear is how many rooms we’re being charged for as this info relates to hotel stays, not self contained unit stays. For instance, we don’t get laundry done for us,  we have a washer in the unit (that really doesn’t launder well).  The price relates to hotels preparing food. We’re heating the ready meals they advertise on the tv and toasting half a loaf of bread every day whilst eating an apple 😃 

OK, this may help with the figures for budgeting. Please note this is Queensland specific info.

If you are in  a self-contained apartment, with one apartment number, eg Apt 230X, then that is billed as one room.

If you are in separate rooms, eg Room 230X and Room 230Y, with an adjoining door, then that is billed as two separate rooms. 

The Mantra is used for families for this reason - makes ot slightly cheaper as they can all be in one self-contained apartment. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, emanyalpsid said:

The sentiment in this thread is crazy. Does nobody else sympathise with OP?! It's alright saying you knew the costs before travel bla bla but I'd be pretty pissed off to be receiving ready meals full stop, regardless what I'm paying. 

Well I did think I was being helpful with my last post, I can't solve the food issue, its beyond my control, but did manage to source the room billing info. However if that's just dismissed as crazy I won't make any phone calls next time!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

OK, this may help with the figures for budgeting. Please note this is Queensland specific info.

If you are in  a self-contained apartment, with one apartment number, eg Apt 230X, then that is billed as one room.

If you are in separate rooms, eg Room 230X and Room 230Y, with an adjoining door, then that is billed as two separate rooms. 

The Mantra is used for families for this reason - makes ot slightly cheaper as they can all be in one self-contained apartment. 

I very much appreciate you having looked into this. It does make me feel a little better that the cost will be more around 5k than 7k.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, emanyalpsid said:

Sorry your posts do look helpful just the sentiment in general in this thread is typically Australian. "Don't like it go back whinging pom"

It is very much like that isn’t it? I appreciate you chipping in on my behalf.

My 13 year old son is now living on toast and cereal.. I know we could buy food in but it really does work out expensive on top of the already high charge that will be made to us. 

Nobody asked for Covid and the circumstances it has brought with it ie. £10k flights when they would have been £3k plus a landing fee of €5-7k (quarantine) as well as the almost quadruple costs of shipping blamed on Covid. 

9 minutes ago, emanyalpsid said:

Sorry your posts do look helpful just the sentiment in general in this thread is typically Australian. "Don't like it go back whinging pom"

My 13 year old son is now living on toast and cereal.. I know we could buy food in but it really does work out expensive on top of the already high charge that will be made to us. 

Nobody asked for Covid and the circumstances it has brought with it ie. £10k flights when they would have been £3k plus a landing fee of €5-7k (quarantine) as well as the almost quadruple costs of shipping blamed on Covid. 

13 minutes ago, Cots said:

I very much appreciate you having looked into this. It does make me feel a little better that the cost will be more around 5k than 7k.

Yep, every little bit counts doesn't it, so I'm glad I could find the answer. Apparently the hotel should have told you at the start of the stay! 

Good luck with the next few days, hope they pass without a hitch.  

1 hour ago, Cots said:

Why is he just eating toast and cereal? I thought you said you had ready meals/sandwiches/sausage rolls/sweets and fruit delivered daily. If the food is inedible, then speak to someone about it (you’ve made a point of saying you’re not criticising the quality of it) but if not then I’m wondering why he can’t eat anything but toast and cereal.

Edited by Tulip1

Because he’s ’ had enough of the ready meals, as have we !!

maybe I wasn’t  clear: 5 days out of 7 we will get brea for breakfast and a ready meal for lunch and a ready meal for dinner.  1 day out of 7 we get toast/bagel/stodge for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and a ready meal for dinner and 1 other day we get cereal for breakfast, sausage roll/pie for lunch and a ready meal for dinner. So the majority of the time it’s a ready meal kind of day and it’s too much.Bearing in mind they’re  calorie controlled and mainly vegetables, as much as I want my kids to eat well; they’re not fans of veg. We’ve all had enough of it. Does that help you understand why he’s filling out on bread? I can see it really bothers you 😆 also, I don’t want them filling out on packaged treats like brownies, it’s not really good for them!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cots said:

Because he’s ’ had enough of the ready meals, as have we !!

maybe I wasn’t  clear: 5 days out of 7 we will get brea for breakfast and a ready meal for lunch and a ready meal for dinner.  1 day out of 7 we get toast/bagel/stodge for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and a ready meal for dinner and 1 other day we get cereal for breakfast, sausage roll/pie for lunch and a ready meal for dinner. So the majority of the time it’s a ready meal kind of day and it’s too much.Bearing in mind they’re  calorie controlled and mainly vegetables, as much as I want my kids to eat well; they’re not fans of veg. We’ve all had enough of it. Does that help you understand why he’s filling out on bread? I can see it really bothers you 😆 also, I don’t want them filling out on packaged treats like brownies, it’s not really good for them!

It doesn’t bother me at all, just curious as you had listed several things that get delivered on an earlier post and said you had no issues with the quality.  If it was me, I’d let them have some packaged treats. It’s hard enough being stuck in there, you all need a treat.  Eating some brownies and treats for a week or two won’t do them any harm.  I expect on an average family holiday they tuck into ice cream, fizzy drinks, puddings and some general rubbish, most kids do and no harm done for a week or so. Be kind to yourselves, anything that gets you through it is ok. 

• Like 2

I’m bowing out, most of you are an aggressive bunch who have been on here for way too many years and you struggle to see the point others make.  It’s difficult to say everything you need to say in a post and you can miss out elements but then need to defend yourself because of it.  I moved to Australia to get away from the anxiety I felt living on a small Island where people constantly criticize and judge. Scotland would have done me but we could apply to Oz. People on here have said things like, count yourself lucky you can have the new life. It’s not luck,  we paid the money,  husband did the qualification tests, we completed the forms and there are many, and we got the visa. That wasn’t luck, it was hard work and expensive. We have the right to live here.

Take care all and cheer up!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I confess to being slightly confused.

on Thursday day 6 of quarantine you wrote

”We are in a 2 bed apartment with a balcony, with more food arriving at the door than we can eat.”

On Friday you wrote

”the hotel made a note of the twins birthday and brought them gifts, cards and a cake, which was so thoughtful “ I agree I think that was a lovely gesture.

I’m sure that it’s very hard being cooped up for 14 days and it has got you down,, but hopefully with the end in sight, life will improve, and hasn’t been all bad as the kind gesture mentioned above.

Yes many of us have been here for years, but we continue to post because most of us genuinely try to help, obviously the written word is sometimes clumsy or misinterpreted, 

Just to clarify I wish you all the best for your new life in Australia as I’m sure do the others who have posted

• Like 4

11 hours ago, emanyalpsid said:

None of the comments here have been made by Australians.  They are all from the UK.  Some of them have only been here for a short while and one member is still in the UK.

I dare say one or two of the older and long time posters consider themselves to be Australian now but on the whole I'd say a huge percentage of the folk who post on this forum are from the UK. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Toots said:

None of the comments here have been made by Australians.  They are all from the UK.  Some of them have only been here for a short while and one member is still in the UK.

I dare say one or two of the older and long time posters consider themselves to be Australian now but on the whole I'd say a huge percentage of the folk who post on this forum are from the UK. 

I didn't say they had. Just that the sentiment was. Nothing like showing a bit of compassion and understanding for someone who is probably suffering from a bit of cabin fever then feels like they're getting held over a barrel for crap food.

How many here would be happy to eat ready meals 14 days in a row?

Edited by emanyalpsid
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, emanyalpsid said:

I didn't say they had. Just that the sentiment was. Nothing like showing a bit of compassion and understanding for someone who is probably suffering from a bit of cabin fever then feels like they're getting held over a barrel for crap food.

No I wouldn't like 14 days of ready meals -  plus the cost does seems steep for what the Cots family are getting but it's for 2 weeks not 2 months stuck in a room with not the greatest of food.  Not the best of times for them but they will be out soon.  

Did you have a bad time with Australians?  You have made a couple of negative comments about them in your posts.

38 minutes ago, emanyalpsid said:

I think people have tried to help by making suggestions.  As for the 14 days of ready meals.  That would get a bit boring but billions across the world would give anything for that luxury.  Lots of old/less able people live on them for years, we are talking about 2 weeks here and the issues have arisen in the first week!  Whilst the OP has spent a lot of money and would rather not spend more, I think the anxiety it seems to be causing is worth spending $50 on a Coles delivery.  Even if she buys tins of beans/spaghetti hoops, at least they can have them on toast for a change and some soups to dunk the bread into.  There’s lots of cheap things you can ping in a microwave as well as some treats.  You’d get a reasonable amount of those types of things for $50 I’d say and if it makes things better then it’s worth that small outlay.  She seems very angry regarding the costs spent so far which is understandable but it’s a choice they made and hopefully it will all be worth it. No point in making yourself stressed out about what you can’t change.  It’s a shame their start has been so effected by this.  The cost is bad but to get so down and angry over ready meals isn’t worth it.  Fill up on rubbish for a while, it won’t matter.  It will be less harmful to your health very short term than the stress she is causing herself which may well be reaching all the family members.  That’s my advice to her and if she sees that as me getting at her well she’s best to leave and not wind herself up any further. 

38 minutes ago, Toots said:

Did you have a bad time with Australians?  You have made a couple of negative comments about them in your posts.

Theres good and bad in both countries. Brits are by no means perfect either. I just think I am able to see these quirks from both sides as (like a lot here probably?) I have lived in both countries and understand the grass isn't greener anywhere

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cots said:

I’m bowing out, most of you are an aggressive bunch who have been on here for way too many years and you struggle to see the point others make.  It’s difficult to say everything you need to say in a post and you can miss out elements but then need to defend yourself because of it.  I moved to Australia to get away from the anxiety I felt living on a small Island where people constantly criticize and judge. Scotland would have done me but we could apply to Oz. People on here have said things like, count yourself lucky you can have the new life. It’s not luck,  we paid the money,  husband did the qualification tests, we completed the forms and there are many, and we got the visa. That wasn’t luck, it was hard work and expensive. We have the right to live here.

I totally agree with you, I also see there is an element of luck (but that is all front-loaded, as in we are both lucky our skills are on the wanted list, but once you get over that hurdle it is as you say all down to hard work and paying the fees as when told to).

I hope I didn't upset you with my comments about the way they are accounting for the costs, it wasn't meant to be upsetting, just a different spin on how to look at it.

At the end of the day this moving malarkey isn't cheap normally, but it certainly is worse just now.

As I said I'll be going through the same in a just a short while and I'm sure I'll find many things dislike about the process and ways I can see (and wonder why they can't) that are obvious to have made it more palatable.

If I have hit a nerve with some of my earlier comments, sorry, put it down to intense jealousy that you are there before me 😉

Edited by Ausvisitor
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Cots said:

Moving across the world is stressful, moving during a global pandemic even more so.  Being stuck in quarantine for two weeks is just more opportunity to experience the full range of emotions we all carried on the plane, the difference is most of us got the opportunity to dive into our new lives to alleviate some of those stresses and anxieties, whereas you're stuck with nothing to do but experience them over and over with no relief.

People are right, we are all privileged to be here, but people expressing those opinions (with the best of intentions), including myself, can only understand our own world view. We can't possibly understand how hard it is to be in your position, or how much something we might perceive as trivial from the comfort of our own homes, can have a significant impact on your wellbeing when you're stuck in a strange box for two weeks having just left everything you know behind.

We all have opinions and views, but all that matters is your own experience and your own perspective. You're right, you've earned the right to be here, worked hard for it and deserve it, like we all have/do. Sometimes words are written in kindness or jokingly but come across very badly.

Generally people here are supportive of each other and it can be a great place to vent frustrations, anxieties and worries. It would be a shame to lose that valuable resource we all need from time to time, and it would be sad for the community to lose the opportunity to hear your stories of happiness and success when you start your new life after quarantine. 

I think what I'm trying to say is I'm sorry you're having a difficult time, that those feelings are valid, none of us can understand how you're feeling and our opinions really don't matter at the moment. But also, that some comments perceived as a personal attack are not intended to be.

I do hope you stay on the forum and share your positive stories when you take the first steps out of quarantine into your new life. All the experiences and opinions, good and bad, positive and negative enrich this community.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I think people have tried to help by making suggestions.  As for the 14 days of ready meals.  That would get a bit boring but billions across the world would give anything for that luxury.  Lots of old/less able people live on them for years, we are talking about 2 weeks here and the issues have arisen in the first week!  Whilst the OP has spent a lot of money and would rather not spend more, I think the anxiety it seems to be causing is worth spending $50 on a Coles delivery.  Even if she buys tins of beans/spaghetti hoops, at least they can have them on toast for a change and some soups to dunk the bread into.  There’s lots of cheap things you can ping in a microwave as well as some treats.  You’d get a reasonable amount of those types of things for $50 I’d say and if it makes things better then it’s worth that small outlay.  She seems very angry regarding the costs spent so far which is understandable but it’s a choice they made and hopefully it will all be worth it. No point in making yourself stressed out about what you can’t change.  It’s a shame their start has been so effected by this.  The cost is bad but to get so down and angry over ready meals isn’t worth it.  Fill up on rubbish for a while, it won’t matter.  It will be less harmful to your health very short term than the stress she is causing herself which may well be reaching all the family members.  That’s my advice to her and if she sees that as me getting at her well she’s best to leave and not wind herself up any further. 

Just wondered where my toaster and microwave were hiding in my quarantine room , even the iron had been removed . I would say 14 days of ready meals would have been better than the slop we were served at the Westin Perth they should be ashamed . Yes I have paid my bill when it arrived 4 months later as I felt that it was part of the conditions to enter at that time .

40 minutes ago, palaceboy1 said:

Just wondered where my toaster and microwave were hiding in my quarantine room , even the iron had been removed . I would say 14 days of ready meals would have been better than the slop we were served at the Westin Perth they should be ashamed . Yes I have paid my bill when it arrived 4 months later as I felt that it was part of the conditions to enter at that time .

No idea where yours was but the OP has them which is why I made the suggestions.

Okay, I want to respond, firstly, I may seem angry but I’m not angry,  just frustrated.

I said the hotel were kind to the twins and they were, there is more food that we can eat and on day 2 that was okay but after 10 days of carrots and broccoli with random meat, it’s no longer fun. I don’t blame the hotel, they’re doing what they can. If we received one ready meal a day plus alternative lunch, that would be better. My children don’t love veg, who’s kids do? So everyday it’s a struggle to get them to eat properly. 2 of my kids are carrying a little excess weight and I’m trying not to encourage them eat too many treats which is just being a good parent.  

we have a kettle and a toaster because we’re in a self catering unit, not a hotel with a kitchen, as  mentioned earlier this is an alternative to a hotel and something they do for my families i understand. if we are only charged for 1 room then that will be a real bonus as far as cost goes, keeping it around 5k and not 7k. As it stands today we have 30 ready meals in the fridge we haven’t eaten.  We are dropping them to a church mission in the morning so they won’t go to waste. We could take them with us but we know we’ll never eat them again. 

From tomorrow we will laugh about this as a family when we see the ufoodz adverts but as food is the highlight of  our day it’s been a chore and something I thought id share with the forum when we first got here.

On a positive note, although it has been a bit pants, the hotel has done the best it can. We’ve used the time wisely, I’ve got a job interview Monday and husband has 3 interviews next week. We’ve re enrolled in everything we need to, bought a car which is being delivered to the hotel in the morning when we leave, we’ve applied for a  rental and have booked viewings for others to see next week, it’s been productive.

Apologies if I was sensitive 😃 

• Like 5