Government reshuffle

Paul1Perth

1 hour ago, Dusty Plains said:

Fair enough but I can't see that any of these factors are necessarily earth shattering, really. Especially when you consider that in March 2020 Scomo closed the borders in light of the worldwide spread of Covid 19 and at the same time advising expats to "make their way home" as soon as possible. That act alone probably saved countless lives in Australia, and at a time when other world leaders were twiddling their thumbs.  Whether or not such actions will be remembered at the next election remains to be seen.  I think however that Albo a.k.a."Mr 26% (approval rating)" has a far greater challenge ahead than SCOMO   

I would also add that in no way it states anything about being a thief or actually committing fraud, 

might not have been very good at the jobs and sacked 🤔

17 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

I would also add that in no way it states anything about being a thief or actually committing fraud, 

might not have been very good at the jobs and sacked 🤔

Scott Morrison was sacked as managing director of Tourism Australia in 2006 with a year left to run on his contract. For 14 years the reason for the sacking has remained one of the best kept secrets in Parliament. Now, FoI documents accessed by Jommy Tee reveal the PM either lied about a critical probity report, or numerous government departments and agencies are so incompetent that all of them – together, coincidentally, jointly and severally – lost it.

https://www.michaelwest.com.au/where-the-bloody-hell-is-it-did-scott-morrison-lie-about-the-report-that-saved-his-bacon-at-tourism-australia/

4 hours ago, Peach said:

Scott Morrison was sacked as managing director of Tourism Australia in 2006 with a year left to run on his contract. For 14 years the reason for the sacking has remained one of the best kept secrets in Parliament. Now, FoI documents accessed by Jommy Tee reveal the PM either lied about a critical probity report, or numerous government departments and agencies are so incompetent that all of them – together, coincidentally, jointly and severally – lost it.

https://www.michaelwest.com.au/where-the-bloody-hell-is-it-did-scott-morrison-lie-about-the-report-that-saved-his-bacon-at-tourism-australia/

When you appoint a big 4 firm to do work for you, there is generally a clause that the work is for internal use only and it cannot be published to a wider audience.  This protects the big 4 from others who might rely on their report to make decisions, and later take legal action against the big 4 firm if they are wrong.  If you want a report you can rely on publically it costs a whole lot more money, and might be less useful internally as they make less firm observations or comments.

10 hours ago, Peach said:

Still only  opinion no hard facts 

also nothing about being a thief 

I will take Scomo being pm over Albo any day of week. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

I will take Scomo being pm over Albo any day of week. 

I can't say I really like either of them.  My missus once said to me: "In Australian politics, it is a choice of voting for who you hate or who you despise".  She wasn't wrong.

6 hours ago, Peach said:

I can't say I really like either of them.  My missus once said to me: "In Australian politics, it is a choice of voting for who you hate or who you despise".  She wasn't wrong.

Not much difference in the UK either. Libs and Labor here seem more middle of the road than Labour and Conservatives in the UK though. 

I was a lifelong Labour supporter in the UK but would have found it hard to vote for Corbyn. I was behind brexit too so probably would have voted Conservative, actually more likely to have not voted at all.

Here I tend to vote for who seems best at the time, federally and locally.

7 hours ago, Peach said:

True. I have also heard of people intending to vote for the person who would most likely do the least amount of damage if elected.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

Anybody here in Canberra can tell you that Morrison is the worst PM for decades, but then we eat, breath, sleep politics, 24 hours a day..

Yeah Right. He only won the unwinable election when everyone in the media counted him out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

Anybody here in Canberra can tell you that Morrison is the worst PM for decades, but then we eat, breath, sleep politics, 24 hours a day..

I can't name a single policy that he took to the last election except budget surplus and that's so pre-Covid.

37 minutes ago, Melbpom said:

I can't name a single policy that he took to the last election except budget surplus and that's so pre-Covid.

The election was Pre-Covid.

When Covid happened he certainly acted very quickly to support people who lost their jobs as well as businesses. Pretty hard to fault Australia's response to Covid, so I'm sure he will romp in next election.

Don't be surprised if there is an election late this year.

7 hours ago, Parley said:

When Covid happened he certainly acted very quickly to support people who lost their jobs as well as businesses. Pretty hard to fault Australia's response to Covid, so I'm sure he will romp in next election.

JOB keeper was put together by McManus and Combet and sold to Porter.  Morrison was dragged into it.  

13 hours ago, Bulya said:

How do you think shorten would have handled last 12 months if he had been pm any better or worse? 
Albo is just full of hot air just looking for media reaction no real policy to go forward. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, newjez said:

I quite liked Turnbull. Not many libs I would vote for but I would have voted for him.

What was it you didn't like about him?

He is More labour than a lib 

He swaps and changes his mind to suit current mood , latest coal needs to go in nsw he wasn’t saying this when in government. 
still very bitter about getting boot 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

He is More labour than a lib 

He swaps and changes his mind to suit current mood , latest coal needs to go in nsw he wasn’t saying this when in government. 
still very bitter about getting boot 

More labour than lib? The libs put themselves forward as the party of business. I think you would be hard pressed to say Turnbull isn't pro business.

He was pro a coal mine in Queensland, and has come out against a coal mine in NSW. Are you saying that you either need to be for coal mining or against coal mining? Is it not possible to take each mine on its own merits?

Everyone seems to crucify politicians for changing their minds, and it is often seen as poor leadership, which it often is. However, you must appreciate there are situations where it is sensible to alter your view as you gain more knowledge?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Parley said:

I agree with you there.

My impression of Scott Morrison has certainly improved. Post covid.

And yes, it is very hard for a covid leader to fall. Trump being the obvious exception because of his terrible performance.

1 hour ago, newjez said:

More labour than lib? The libs put themselves forward as the party of business. I think you would be hard pressed to say Turnbull isn't pro business.

He was pro a coal mine in Queensland, and has come out against a coal mine in NSW. Are you saying that you either need to be for coal mining or against coal mining? Is it not possible to take each mine on its own merits?

Everyone seems to crucify politicians for changing their minds, and it is often seen as poor leadership, which it often is. However, you must appreciate there are situations where it is sensible to alter your view as you gain more knowledge?

How can you be pro coal in one state and against in another stupidity at its best coal is used in so much more than just creating electricity , he is still bitter about being dumped but was happy to do same to TA