Missing the UK

JJNot

19 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Of course. Go to the South West of Western Australia. Perth is, after all, not necessarily representative of the rest of WA. Trip Advisor has nominated that the South West of Western Australia is the best location to either visit or live within the entire Asia Pacific Region.   

That's why we're moving there....it's 'country' though so as always won't suit all as a permanent place to live rather than a holiday spot. Suits us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

Yes. That's the region

The Margaret River Region is generally famous as wine country which is not news to anyone or to most people.  Yet if you go to Margaret River township, its a surfie town, with surf shops up and down the main street, attracting barefoot people from far and wide. The Margaret River Pro Surfing Championship is held at Prevelly Beach at Surfers Point and is an event within the World Surfing League Championships.

Wine and surfing eh? I just can't make the connection.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

The Margaret River Region is generally famous as wine country which is not news to anyone or to most people.  Yet if you go to Margaret River township, its a surfie town, with surf shops up and down the main street, attracting barefoot people from far and wide. The Margaret River Pro Surfing Championship is held at Prevelly Beach at Surfers Point and is an event within the World Surfing League Championships.

Surfing because there is really good surf there. I remember surfing monster waves at yallingup.

Wine because the grapes grow well.

The wine tends to be quite good though. I doubt the surfers drink it. We didn't. We made good with cheap goon.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, newjez said:

The wine tends to be quite good though. I doubt the surfers drink it. We didn't. We made good with cheap goon.

Wine is really cheap here now.

BWS always have specials on and usually a bottle of pinot noir is only about $10 to $13.

I have developed a taste for having pinot noir with a box of shapes haha.

I know i shouldn't but i drink the whole bottle on my own. Usually then i sleep for a few hours on the couch.

21 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Margaret River is way over rated and over priced  IMO. It's quite far removed from the alternative surfie/hippie localities of the seventies. It obviously has its fans. It does produce some decent wine but the own is limited and during holidays crawling with day trippers and holiday makers. 

But saying that The South Coast of WA does have attractions in natural beauty. Parts resemble the West Coast of Ireland. Even Cornwall in places. I just hope they don't over play their natural  attractiveness and greed destroys or displaces much of that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Margaret River is way over rated and over priced  IMO. It's quite far removed from the alternative surfie/hippie localities of the seventies. It obviously has its fans. It does produce some decent wine but the own is limited and during holidays crawling with day trippers and holiday makers. 

But saying that The South Coast of WA does have attractions in natural beauty. Parts resemble the West Coast of Ireland. Even Cornwall in places. I just hope they don't over play their natural  attractiveness and greed destroys or displaces much of that. 

Found quite a nice Margaret River wine labelled Cow Bombie. As it turns out Cow Bombie is the name of the surf break at Prevelly Beach at MR.

Connection now established. 😉  Surf and Chardy.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Found quite a nice Margaret River wine labelled Cow Bombie. As it turns out Cow Bombie is the name of the surf break at Prevelly Beach at MR.

Connection now established. 😉  Surf and Chardy.

Indeed. It appears connection made. Now for some home grown herb, a bottle or two of Cow's Bombie chilled of course, a few surf lessons , from a spunky instructor obviously and the past will be foggy indeed. Stoke on Trent? Never heard of it. QLD is it? ...

Edited by Blue Flu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/05/2021 at 14:33, Blue Flu said:

There's 1000's of km's of coastline to go at down south. A lot of places are brilliant without going near margaret river. 

Much prefer going South than North.

• Like 2

Just now, Paul1Perth said:

There's 1000's of km's of coastline to go at down south. A lot of places are brilliant without going near margaret river. 

Much prefer going South than North.

I do as well.  Although The North is very special  way up in The Kimberly. I lived Down South for many years. As I mentioned a fantastic coastline. 

We drove up to Monkey Mia once from Perth, for me it was a one-off, I didn't see anything going north that I'd be in a rush to do again (granted, I didn't go as far as you have mentioned but 10 hours drive is enough).

Down South is good for a few jaunts.

• Like 1