A citizen at last

ramot

We had our citizenship ceremony today, and are finally Australians after nearly 18 years here.

The ceremony was low key in comparison to our children’s ceremonies pre covid, no native tree for us!! but not as bad as I was expecting. We were welcomed as new citizens and I felt quite emotional to finally become Australian.

We went out for lunch afterwards and another couple from the ceremony were also there. So we took each other’s photos against the perfect background of the river and the sea at Cotton Tree. We were very touched when a fair few other diners congratulated us and welcomed us as new Australians, such a lovely gesture.

Quite a few posters know that as a family the citizenship route has not been easy for any of us, but we are all now citizens, and Australia is home.

• Like 4
  • Congratulations 15

14 hours ago, ramot said:

We had our citizenship ceremony today, and are finally Australians after nearly 18 years here.

The ceremony was low key in comparison to our children’s ceremonies pre covid, no native tree for us!! but not as bad as I was expecting. We were welcomed as new citizens and I felt quite emotional to finally become Australian.

We went out for lunch afterwards and another couple from the ceremony were also there. So we took each other’s photos against the perfect background of the river and the sea at Cotton Tree. We were very touched when a fair few other diners congratulated us and welcomed us as new Australians, such a lovely gesture.

Quite a few posters know that as a family the citizenship route has not been easy for any of us, but we are all now citizens, and Australia is home.

Aren’t people lovely, I know that we have made good friends, since living here, both expats and Australians. Ive just popped out to our letter box, to find an Australian friend, putting clip on koalas around our letter box, and adding a gift of Australian pencils in a koala pencil case for us to use for bridge. I feel very blessed for the friends we have made.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations Ramos I was just browsing looking for info on citizenship so wondered if you or anyone else might be able to help.

We only got our 143 parent visas in 2018 and we are in our early 70’s  I understand older people can apply earlier for citizenship but not sure if this is true. Also are there any downsides we should be aware of, would we still be able to draw our UK state pensions for instance? We have never worked in Australia and have a private pension too. Also are we able to have dual citizenship?  We have no intention of going back to UK to live but just wondered about passports ours have several years left.

I would be grateful for any info.

56 minutes ago, nyorksgrannie said:

We only got our 143 parent visas in 2018 and we are in our early 70’s  I understand older people can apply earlier for citizenship but not sure if this is true. Also are there any downsides we should be aware of, would we still be able to draw our UK state pensions for instance? ....Also are we able to have dual citizenship?  We have no intention of going back to UK to live but just wondered about passports ours have several years left.

There are no downsides of citizenship, except that it's compulsory to vote at elections.   Being an Australian citizen has no effect on your rights to British pensions etc.  You can be a dual citizen so you can hold both passports.

7 hours ago, nyorksgrannie said:

Congratulations Ramos I was just browsing looking for info on citizenship so wondered if you or anyone else might be able to help.

We only got our 143 parent visas in 2018 and we are in our early 70’s  I understand older people can apply earlier for citizenship but not sure if this is true. Also are there any downsides we should be aware of, would we still be able to draw our UK state pensions for instance? We have never worked in Australia and have a private pension too. Also are we able to have dual citizenship?  We have no intention of going back to UK to live but just wondered about passports ours have several years left.

I would be grateful for any info.

Sorry I have only just seen this. Im afraid I don’t know if you can apply earlier for citizenship. As you probably know the amount you receive from your state  pension will be frozen at that rate when you arrive to live in Australia, should you go to UK on holiday, it will be increased while you are there to the amount you should receive had you not left. On your return to Australia it reverts back to the original frozen amount!! 

Marisa has helped with your other questions. 

You will probably need good advice on your tax situation, when you move here, and Alan Collett who is a tax expert on both UK and Australian tax is recommended by posters. 

All the best.

ps. We kept our UK bank account and our pensions etc are paid into that, and we use transfer wise to transfer money we need to our Australian bank. It suits us, as pre covid we went to UK every year for 3 months as we have grandchildren there.. I afraid I don’t know if it’s the best to keep a UK account open  or not if you are never going to visit UK much? 

Edited by ramot

On 25/11/2020 at 20:50, ramot said:

Sorry I have only just seen this. Im afraid I don’t know if you can apply earlier for citizenship. As you probably know the amount you receive from your state  pension will be frozen at that rate when you arrive to live in Australia, should you go to UK on holiday, it will be increased while you are there to the amount you should receive had you not left. On your return to Australia it reverts back to the original frozen amount!! 

Marisa has helped with your other questions. 

You will probably need good advice on your tax situation, when you move here, and Alan Collett who is a tax expert on both UK and Australian tax is recommended by posters. 

All the best.

ps. We kept our UK bank account and our pensions etc are paid into that, and we use transfer wise to transfer money we need to our Australian bank. It suits us, as pre covid we went to UK every year for 3 months as we have grandchildren there.. I afraid I don’t know if it’s the best to keep a UK account open  or not if you are never going to visit UK much? 

Thank you Ramot we are already living in Australia, we came out in 2017 and our 143 visa was issued in 2018, see below. We haven’t visited UK since  and I didn’t know the state pension went up when visiting, how strange  I thought you would have to be back permanently and prove it for that to happen. As we have no close relatives in the uk it is unlikely we would visit for long and we hope some  friends will visit us here post Covid. We have kept a UK bank account too and also do a transfer from that via Halo.

I will investigate Citizenship further, it’s tricky when the necessary documents on line are not available to view until you have reached the qualifying number of years to apply. We are so happy to be here.

Thank you for replying.

• 2 weeks later...