Moving back to uk after 35 years

irish4ever

We both have come to a decision to move back. As we get older we have realised it’s time to go all our families live in uk we have no family here.

Our only son was born in Australia and moved to uk 18 months ago and has no plans to return. Australia has been good to us and great place to live but as we all get older our priorities change. 

My question is we were both born in the uk and lived there for 24years before we emigrated to Australia we let our British passports run out can we fly into uk and apply for British passports later on?.

As a UK citizen, you are supposed to enter the UK on your British passports.   Having said that, if you enter on your Australian passports and claim you're just coming for a holiday, who will know otherwise?  (I don't know the answer to that, just thinking aloud).   

Do please do your homework on things like superannuation and pensions.  It's likely you will be worse off financially. If you're going to be entirely reliant on your superannuation to see out the rest of your life, make sure you've got enough.

If you leave Australia before you're eligible to claim the Australian govt pension, you will never be able to claim it.  Astonishing, I know, as you've been here 35 years - but that's the way it is.  And if you left the UK at 24, you won't be eligible for any British govt pension either.   

Superannuation - if you can take a lump sum before you leave Australia and put it in your Australian bank account before you leave, then you can do whatever you want with it.  If you take a lump sum after you've left Australia, the British taxman will take a massive chunk of it.  About a third, in fact.  So you'll be better off to convert it to a pension, but that will be taxed by the British taxman too, as normal income. So you'll have less income than you would've had in Australia, where a super pension is tax-free. 

One solution is to look at going to a country in Europe that has a reciprocal agreement on pensions with Australia.  Most European countries do, unlike the UK, so you'd be able to claim your Australian govt pension if you lived in, say, Spain.   It's a myth to say you can't settle in Europe after Brexit - it's not as hard as you think.  And if you settle in a resort, your relatives in the UK will be eager to come and visit you often!

Edited by Marisawright

Are you wanting to go for yourselves or because of your son? That is the question I would ask myself. It is a long time 35 years and things have changed a lot- not trying to put you off but that is how it is in any country . It is a difficult decision for you and family does become very important at a certain stage of our lives.  Good luck!

18 hours ago, irish4ever said:

We both have come to a decision to move back. As we get older we have realised it’s time to go all our families live in uk we have no family here.

Our only son was born in Australia and moved to uk 18 months ago and has no plans to return. Australia has been good to us and great place to live but as we all get older our priorities change. 

My question is we were both born in the uk and lived there for 24years before we emigrated to Australia we let our British passports run out can we fly into uk and apply for British passports later on?.

You can get your British passport before you go if you want. We've not bothered with 2 passports, just use the Aussie one, too expensive to keep 2.

With a posting name like Irish4ever no big surprise you are heading back.

• Like 2

If you have to come in on your Oz passports, bring your birth certificate and you’ll get stamped indefinite leave to remain then renew your passport at home if pushed.
Best way and easier way is renew them there.

When we got into LHR the immigration officer said “Welcome Home” to us.   That felt so GREAT to hear him say that.!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/11/2020 at 18:08, irish4ever said:

We had a British friend pulled up at UK immigration when he entered Britain on a one way ticket on his Aussie passport ( It was an emergency and his UK passport had run out years before the trip ) He was 'detained ' for an hour and a half and then set free lol I would get your UK passport well before you leave 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, patsmb said:

We had a British friend pulled up at UK immigration when he entered Britain on a one way ticket on his Aussie passport ( It was an emergency and his UK passport had run out years before the trip ) He was 'detained ' for an hour and a half and then set free lol I would get your UK passport well before you leave 

Perhaps he did not have his expired UK passport with him, or other "immediate" proof he was a UK citizen? I did travel home once using my Aussie passport because my UK passport had expired and I don't remember any great delay, other than the "insult" of having to enter as an "alien."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...