Flights & International Cap Levels

DavidIII

Hi,

I want to book 3 one way flights from London to Adelaide during the first week of Jan with Singapore Airlines flying in Business Class, but just don't know exactly how the international cap level works and would appreciate some guidance.  I have to assume that the airlines only have limited seats available to achieve the cap in that given week, so if I do book the flights, with seats available there is a reasonable level of certainty that I may get on the flight? 

Would appreciate knowing if my assumption is right.

Thanks 🙂

1 hour ago, DavidIII said:

Hi,

I want to book 3 one way flights from London to Adelaide during the first week of Jan with Singapore Airlines flying in Business Class, but just don't know exactly how the international cap level works and would appreciate some guidance.  I have to assume that the airlines only have limited seats available to achieve the cap in that given week, so if I do book the flights, with seats available there is a reasonable level of certainty that I may get on the flight? 

Thanks 🙂

If you are booking business then there is a reasonable level of certainty. If you book economy then you are at the whim of the airline business model.

You see if they cancel your flight they have to refund you. If they cancel 14 days out thats all you are entitled to. Within 14 days if you fly from the UK (under current rules Brexit may chnage these) they would also have to pay you 600 Euro compensation.

Now if your ticket is £750 one-way and the business ticket is £3,500 they will bump you because it will cost them (at most) £1350 to refund and compensate you but they just got £3500 for the same "travel cap" usage

• 2 weeks later...

The aussie government's intention is to bring australians home before christmas. I reckon that will relief some of the pressure after christmas. Combine that eith your intention to book business class and I reckon you're set. Never 100% guarantee. But quite safe I reckon. I flew back a week and a half ago. Economy class got cancelled in 2 days. Business class went through without hassle.

Edited by FOL

@DavidIII Singapore Airlines are a great airline of course but they are not reliable at the moment. They cancelled on us twice and my wife got here with Qatar in the end. Unless you want to have your money tied up in the airline's refunds system, I'd highly recommend you check to see if they are currently flying to your required destination before you book. No sign of any SA flights arriving in Adelaide airport at the moment...

https://www.adelaideairport.com.au/flight-information/flight-search/?flt_no=&carrier=SQ&city=&dte=Recent&leg=Arrivals

On 12/11/2020 at 05:52, Wanderer Returns said:

@DavidIII Singapore Airlines are a great airline of course but they are not reliable at the moment. They cancelled on us twice and my wife got here with Qatar in the end. Unless you want to have your money tied up in the airline's refunds system, I'd highly recommend you check to see if they are currently flying to your required destination before you book. No sign of any SA flights arriving in Adelaide airport at the moment...

https://www.adelaideairport.com.au/flight-information/flight-search/?flt_no=&carrier=SQ&city=&dte=Recent&leg=Arrivals

Hi Wanderer, did your wife end up flying business class or economy with Qatar? 

On 23/10/2020 at 17:51, DavidIII said:

Hi,

Thanks 🙂

We flew with Singapore Airlines recently, and booked Premium Economy.

Whilst we had our flights cancelled three times (not Singapore Airlines fault) we did not get "bumped" when we came to board.

Good luck.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PerthLondonGirl89 said:

Hi Wanderer, did your wife end up flying business class or economy with Qatar? 

Hi @PerthLondonGirl89, she flew economy and I recall it was just a couple of weeks or so before they introduced the caps. People were getting bumped when they first introduced the caps because too many people were already booked on those flights, but I believe (based on what others are saying) that isn't a problem now because the airlines aren't selling more seats than they can bring passengers into Australia. It stands to reason as turning people away at airports is going to be very bad for business in the long-term. When my wife flew we paid £600 one-way and now flights are £2,000+ one-way, so it would seem that the reduced number of seats has already been factored into the airlines' business model.

2 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Glad you made it in the end! How is life in Brisbane compared with Derbyshire? 🙂 

Hi and thank you.

The Sunshine Coast is gorgeous, just love it, it's going to be a great place to enjoy the next phase of our life 😊

We loved our spell back home in Derbyshire, and, if we had found the right house over there, we may have stayed. We love it here, but also  loved it there. I just feel very lucky and very grateful that we have the option to choose.

• Like 2

On 14/11/2020 at 23:33, Wanderer Returns said:

Hi @PerthLondonGirl89, she flew economy and I recall it was just a couple of weeks or so before they introduced the caps. People were getting bumped when they first introduced the caps because too many people were already booked on those flights, but I believe (based on what others are saying) that isn't a problem now because the airlines aren't selling more seats than they can bring passengers into Australia. It stands to reason as turning people away at airports is going to be very bad for business in the long-term. When my wife flew we paid £600 one-way and now flights are £2,000+ one-way, so it would seem that the reduced number of seats has already been factored into the airlines' business model.

Thanks for getting back to me. Hopefully that is the case.. Qatar are half the price of Singapore economy (and everything else is business / first only for when we need to go!). Though we haven't ruled out Singapore (before COVID we planned to fly with them) obviously money is a big factor so we are leaning towards Qatar. I am hoping it is a case of many Aussie's being able to get back before Christmas and therefore easing the amount arriving in January... of course can never be certain but unless we do fork out for business class we just have to keep our fingers crossed!

15 hours ago, PerthLondonGirl89 said:

Thanks for getting back to me. Hopefully that is the case.. Qatar are half the price of Singapore economy (and everything else is business / first only for when we need to go!). Though we haven't ruled out Singapore (before COVID we planned to fly with them) obviously money is a big factor so we are leaning towards Qatar. I am hoping it is a case of many Aussie's being able to get back before Christmas and therefore easing the amount arriving in January... of course can never be certain but unless we do fork out for business class we just have to keep our fingers crossed!

Singapore had some restrictions on which passengers were allowed to transit through Changi airport. You couldn't fly through there from the UK on to Australia, but they may have changed now - I haven't been keep up with the latest developments. If I were in your shoes I'd get my flights booked fairly soon, as the longer you leave it the more expensive it's likely to get.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/01/2021 at 04:14, rtritudr said:

The international cap levels have just been halved until 15 February.  You must also produce a negative COVID-19 test before boarding.

Thanks, that's useful to know. How recent must the test be? Are there specific criteria that must be met for the type of test etc? Does it apply to children too? Can I ask where you got this information, so I can keep on top of these updates?

Also, this is likely a silly question, but I don't want to make assumptions. Do you have to book your hotel quarantine in Australia in advance of travel or are you just allocated a place on the basis of arriving into Australia? I can't find this information anywhere... And really wouldn't want to turn up and not have this sorted if it requires forward planning/form filling on my part!

On 14/11/2020 at 20:14, AliQ said:

We flew with Singapore Airlines recently, and booked Premium Economy.

Whilst we had our flights cancelled three times (not Singapore Airlines fault) we did not get "bumped" when we came to board.

Good luck.

That's good to know. Can I ask, did you find the level of cleaning/hygiene/social distancing on the plane reassuring? I have looked at different airlines, and it seems Singapore has a more strict set of protocols then Qantas for example. I'd prefer to fly with an airline that is doing everything it can to avoid transmission of the virus, and they all seem to have different protocols. 

We are looking to fly a bit later this year and Singapore flights are around £500 one way to Melbourne for economy, which seems pretty good. Hopefully we can book something soon, but it all feels a bit risky when we have no idea what the world will be like in 6 months when it comes to covid!

2 hours ago, bicek said:

Thanks, that's useful to know. How recent must the test be? Are there specific criteria that must be met for the type of test etc? Does it apply to children too? Can I ask where you got this information, so I can keep on top of these updates?

Also, this is likely a silly question, but I don't want to make assumptions. Do you have to book your hotel quarantine in Australia in advance of travel or are you just allocated a place on the basis of arriving into Australia? I can't find this information anywhere... And really wouldn't want to turn up and not have this sorted if it requires forward planning/form filling on my part!

At this point it's just a press release and details on implementation are still scant.  I suggest that you contact your airline on how they plan to implement this.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/australian-health-protection-principal-committee-ahppc-statement-on-safe-air-travel-enhancing-end-to-end-mitigations-international

Regarding hotel quarantine you don't have to book it like New Zealand, everything will be arranged for you after you arrive in Australia.  You don't even have to pay for it until you receive the bill in the mail after you check out.

13 hours ago, bicek said:

That's good to know. Can I ask, did you find the level of cleaning/hygiene/social distancing on the plane reassuring? I have looked at different airlines, and it seems Singapore has a more strict set of protocols then Qantas for example. I'd prefer to fly with an airline that is doing everything it can to avoid transmission of the virus, and they all seem to have different protocols. 

We are looking to fly a bit later this year and Singapore flights are around £500 one way to Melbourne for economy, which seems pretty good. Hopefully we can book something soon, but it all feels a bit risky when we have no idea what the world will be like in 6 months when it comes to covid!

Hi bicek. Singapore Airlines were excellent with their infection control measures, during the flight and at Singapore Airport.  Cabin crew limit their interaction with passengers, and only came around when the main meal was due. There were no drink rounds, no snack rounds and no drinking water rounds. You could walk to the back of the plane though and request a drink / snack.

@bicek see below from the press release:

"Passengers travelling to Australia must be tested for COVID-19 72 hours or less prior to departure, and display evidence of a negative test result. PCR testing is required. Exemptions from this requirement may be available in extenuating circumstances including use of rapid antigen testing in rare cases. Members of a travelling party who have been close contacts (e.g. household contacts) of a traveller who has a positive test result will also not be allowed to travel to Australia until all members of the party are no longer infectious."

12 hours ago, AliQ said:

Hi bicek. Singapore Airlines were excellent with their infection control measures, during the flight and at Singapore Airport.  Cabin crew limit their interaction with passengers, and only came around when the main meal was due. There were no drink rounds, no snack rounds and no drinking water rounds. You could walk to the back of the plane though and request a drink / snack.

Oh wow, that does sound quite different to the usual. Good to know, thank you. It's definitely my preference to fly with them I think. I'll be flying with 2 young kids and a baby, so will probably be heading to the back a few times for snacks/drinks!

10 hours ago, JMcKie said:

"Passengers travelling to Australia must be tested for COVID-19 72 hours or less prior to departure, and display evidence of a negative test result. PCR testing is required. Exemptions from this requirement may be available in extenuating circumstances including use of rapid antigen testing in rare cases. Members of a travelling party who have been close contacts (e.g. household contacts) of a traveller who has a positive test result will also not be allowed to travel to Australia until all members of the party are no longer infectious."

Thanks for this. I don't think we can get that sort of testing from the usual test centres, so assuming we have to go private and pay to have this done before flying? Anyone else have experience of this?

On 10/01/2021 at 10:24, JMcKie said:

Where did you find this information? We are traveling with a 4 month old baby next week (if the flight even happens) and cant find out information if he needs tested or not. It was my understanding children under 12 don't need tested? Theres so much information out there that says all different stuff, cant find a definitive answer lol 

17 hours ago, bicek said:

Thanks for this. I don't think we can get that sort of testing from the usual test centres, so assuming we have to go private and pay to have this done before flying? Anyone else have experience of this?

You need a private PCR test, dont know where you are located but if you google it you will find one. We are getting one done at Edinburgh airport couple days before due to fly out, 80 quid it costs! They dont accept NHS ones apparently but makes sense as its for people who require them and i imagine they are already under a massive amount of stress with the testing. 

8 hours ago, LB93 said:

You need a private PCR test, dont know where you are located but if you google it you will find one. We are getting one done at Edinburgh airport couple days before due to fly out, 80 quid it costs! They dont accept NHS ones apparently but makes sense as its for people who require them and i imagine they are already under a massive amount of stress with the testing. 

Ok thanks. I can see Heathrow has a drive through test centre for PCR but quite a hassle to go down there a couple of days before and then again for the flights! We are not local to that area at all. 

I am wondering if there will be any flex on the need for a test if we manage to have the vaccine by the time we get to flying, it is quite a few months away. But the kids will need the PCR test I suspect either way. It's so hard to know what the protocols will be in a few weeks let alone months. Will just have to keep an eye on how it develops. 

I hope you get on ok with your tests and flights - are you travelling soon?

8 hours ago, LB93 said:

Where did you find this information? We are traveling with a 4 month old baby next week (if the flight even happens) and cant find out information if he needs tested or not. It was my understanding children under 12 don't need tested? Theres so much information out there that says all different stuff, cant find a definitive answer lol 

I'd be keen to know this too, we will have 3 kids under the age of 12! I think the age restriction varies depending on the country, but can't find anywhere that states the specifics for entry into Australia. I'll keep looking...