DavidIII

Flights & International Cap Levels

Hi,

I want to book 3 one way flights from London to Adelaide during the first week of Jan with Singapore Airlines flying in Business Class, but just don't know exactly how the international cap level works and would appreciate some guidance.  I have to assume that the airlines only have limited seats available to achieve the cap in that given week, so if I do book the flights, with seats available there is a reasonable level of certainty that I may get on the flight? 

Would appreciate knowing if my assumption is right.

Thanks 🙂

1 hour ago, DavidIII said:

Hi,

I want to book 3 one way flights from London to Adelaide during the first week of Jan with Singapore Airlines flying in Business Class, but just don't know exactly how the international cap level works and would appreciate some guidance.  I have to assume that the airlines only have limited seats available to achieve the cap in that given week, so if I do book the flights, with seats available there is a reasonable level of certainty that I may get on the flight? 

Thanks 🙂

If you are booking business then there is a reasonable level of certainty. If you book economy then you are at the whim of the airline business model.

You see if they cancel your flight they have to refund you. If they cancel 14 days out thats all you are entitled to. Within 14 days if you fly from the UK (under current rules Brexit may chnage these) they would also have to pay you 600 Euro compensation.

Now if your ticket is £750 one-way and the business ticket is £3,500 they will bump you because it will cost them (at most) £1350 to refund and compensate you but they just got £3500 for the same "travel cap" usage

The aussie government's intention is to bring australians home before christmas. I reckon that will relief some of the pressure after christmas. Combine that eith your intention to book business class and I reckon you're set. Never 100% guarantee. But quite safe I reckon. I flew back a week and a half ago. Economy class got cancelled in 2 days. Business class went through without hassle.

Edited by FOL

Lived in Perth for 18 months. Pingponging back in Juli '15!

Tempted given that Singapore airlines are offering free changes to book some flights in September 21.  One way economy to Perth for £540 adult.

PR (100) Planning to move to Perth September 2021

@DavidIII Singapore Airlines are a great airline of course but they are not reliable at the moment. They cancelled on us twice and my wife got here with Qatar in the end. Unless you want to have your money tied up in the airline's refunds system, I'd highly recommend you check to see if they are currently flying to your required destination before you book. No sign of any SA flights arriving in Adelaide airport at the moment...

https://www.adelaideairport.com.au/flight-information/flight-search/?flt_no=&carrier=SQ&city=&dte=Recent&leg=Arrivals

On 12/11/2020 at 05:52, Wanderer Returns said:

@DavidIII Singapore Airlines are a great airline of course but they are not reliable at the moment. They cancelled on us twice and my wife got here with Qatar in the end. Unless you want to have your money tied up in the airline's refunds system, I'd highly recommend you check to see if they are currently flying to your required destination before you book. No sign of any SA flights arriving in Adelaide airport at the moment...

https://www.adelaideairport.com.au/flight-information/flight-search/?flt_no=&carrier=SQ&city=&dte=Recent&leg=Arrivals

Hi Wanderer, did your wife end up flying business class or economy with Qatar? 

On 23/10/2020 at 17:51, DavidIII said:

Hi,

Thanks 🙂

We flew with Singapore Airlines recently, and booked Premium Economy.

Whilst we had our flights cancelled three times (not Singapore Airlines fault) we did not get "bumped" when we came to board.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Perth WA  / UK / Queensland

12 hours ago, PerthLondonGirl89 said:

Hi Wanderer, did your wife end up flying business class or economy with Qatar? 

Hi @PerthLondonGirl89, she flew economy and I recall it was just a couple of weeks or so before they introduced the caps. People were getting bumped when they first introduced the caps because too many people were already booked on those flights, but I believe (based on what others are saying) that isn't a problem now because the airlines aren't selling more seats than they can bring passengers into Australia. It stands to reason as turning people away at airports is going to be very bad for business in the long-term. When my wife flew we paid £600 one-way and now flights are £2,000+ one-way, so it would seem that the reduced number of seats has already been factored into the airlines' business model.

3 hours ago, AliQ said:

We flew with Singapore Airlines recently, and booked Premium Economy.

Whilst we had our flights cancelled three times (not Singapore Airlines fault) we did not get "bumped" when we came to board.

Good luck.

Glad you made it in the end! How is life in Brisbane compared with Derbyshire? 🙂 

2 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Glad you made it in the end! How is life in Brisbane compared with Derbyshire? 🙂 

Hi and thank you.

The Sunshine Coast is gorgeous, just love it, it's going to be a great place to enjoy the next phase of our life 😊

We loved our spell back home in Derbyshire, and, if we had found the right house over there, we may have stayed. We love it here, but also  loved it there. I just feel very lucky and very grateful that we have the option to choose.

• Like 2

Perth WA  / UK / Queensland

On 14/11/2020 at 23:33, Wanderer Returns said:

Hi @PerthLondonGirl89, she flew economy and I recall it was just a couple of weeks or so before they introduced the caps. People were getting bumped when they first introduced the caps because too many people were already booked on those flights, but I believe (based on what others are saying) that isn't a problem now because the airlines aren't selling more seats than they can bring passengers into Australia. It stands to reason as turning people away at airports is going to be very bad for business in the long-term. When my wife flew we paid £600 one-way and now flights are £2,000+ one-way, so it would seem that the reduced number of seats has already been factored into the airlines' business model.

Thanks for getting back to me. Hopefully that is the case.. Qatar are half the price of Singapore economy (and everything else is business / first only for when we need to go!). Though we haven't ruled out Singapore (before COVID we planned to fly with them) obviously money is a big factor so we are leaning towards Qatar. I am hoping it is a case of many Aussie's being able to get back before Christmas and therefore easing the amount arriving in January... of course can never be certain but unless we do fork out for business class we just have to keep our fingers crossed!

15 hours ago, PerthLondonGirl89 said:

Thanks for getting back to me. Hopefully that is the case.. Qatar are half the price of Singapore economy (and everything else is business / first only for when we need to go!). Though we haven't ruled out Singapore (before COVID we planned to fly with them) obviously money is a big factor so we are leaning towards Qatar. I am hoping it is a case of many Aussie's being able to get back before Christmas and therefore easing the amount arriving in January... of course can never be certain but unless we do fork out for business class we just have to keep our fingers crossed!

Singapore had some restrictions on which passengers were allowed to transit through Changi airport. You couldn't fly through there from the UK on to Australia, but they may have changed now - I haven't been keep up with the latest developments. If I were in your shoes I'd get my flights booked fairly soon, as the longer you leave it the more expensive it's likely to get.

• Thanks 1