Stamp Duty

Aussiebird

I've been trying to find a thread where stamp duty was a topic, can't find it.

I recently emailed an estate agent to ask a few things but never replied, so not helpful at all!

Just wanted to know if it is paid on established houses as a first time buyer?

We are not really keen on building. 

Is there any help to buy first time for established homes?

Thank you. Xx

I think it varies from state to state. We bought our established house two years ago in NSW - at that time you could spend up to $650000 without paying anything, then it tailed off until you got nothing (at I think $800000). If you google ‘ stamp duty’ and the state, I bet you’ll find loads of info.

8 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

Also I believe that if you have owned property anywhere in the world, you cannot access the first time buyer discount.

When my son bought his first house in Qld he was not eligible for first home buyer discount as he had owned a house in UK and he had lived here and payed tax for 6 years before he bought.

I don’t think a new immigrant should be eligible as they haven’t worked or contributed to the economy, just my opinion, 

24 minutes ago, ramot said:

When my son bought his first house in Qld he was not eligible for first home buyer discount as he had owned a house in UK and he had lived here and payed tax for 6 years before he bought.

I don’t think a new immigrant should be eligible as they haven’t worked or contributed to the economy, just my opinion, 

That's tough and i hope he got the correct info , we were told it doesnt matter what property you have owned overseas, if its your first home purchase in Aus you get the grant. I know of quite a lot of families who received it back when i was doing relocations, all had had a UK home at some point.

Cal x

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, calNgary said:

That's tough and i hope he got the correct info , we were told it doesnt matter what property you have owned overseas, if its your first home purchase in Aus you get the grant. I know of quite a lot of families who received it back when i was doing relocations, all had had a UK home at some point.

Cal x

He bought about 6?  years ago in Brisbane. There is so much misinformation about generally you never know who to believe, but unfortunately if you are told no by someone who should know, you have to accept it. 

14 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Just wanted to know if it is paid on established houses as a first time buyer?

Real estate rules, regulations and grants differ between states.  I believe you are moving to W.A.?   In which case you can access a Stamp Duty Calculator provided online by the Real Estate Institute of W.A. :

https://reiwa.com.au/advice/calculator-tools/stamp-duty-calculator-wa/

1 hour ago, ramot said:

. There is so much misinformation about generally you never know who to believe, but unfortunately if you are told no by someone who should know, you have to accept it. 

Nooooo!  😀      I would  always double check what so called "experts" say - especially in the real estate industry  😏  - and  check with the relevant authority which makes the rules.  Fortunately these days it is usually easy to find online.  Owning a home in another country wouldn't make one ineligible now...and I suspect it was the same back when your son bought:  https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/buying-owning-home/financial-help-concessions/qld-first-home-grant/apply-first-home-grant

• Like 1

But don't forget that there are two types of Home buying concession with different eligibility rules depending on state.

First Home Owners grants are separate to and different from Stamp Duty concessions.  In some states it was possible to get the Stamp Duty concession but not a FHO Grant and probably the opposite applied too.

15 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

Also I believe that if you have owned property anywhere in the world, you cannot access the first time buyer discount.

Unless this has changed during the last two years, this is definitely not true. We had owned property in the UK before we moved here and we got the first time buyers discount. If you’d owned elsewhere in Australia you didn’t.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ramot said:

He bought about 6?  years ago in Brisbane. There is so much misinformation about generally you never know who to believe, but unfortunately if you are told no by someone who should know, you have to accept it. 

My son was here today so I asked him. Now I know nothing about this, but he said that it had something to do with claiming tax for renting out his UK house for 6 years. Reckoned he went into it thoroughly at the time, and it’s all water under the bridge now, if he was given the wrong information. We were refused in 2003 but we weren’t PR and thought if we don’t ask we won’t get!

We were told the same, bought in QLD 6 years ago. I questioned whether an overseas house counted because how they would know and monitor it and we were told that if they discovered it later, they’d say we had fraudulently declared. [emoji15][emoji3525]
Needless to say we didn’t claim!
  • Like 1

The Queensland government needs to clarify its requirements.  This also from a Qld government website:  https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/buying-owning-home/financial-help-concessions/qld-first-home-grant/apply-first-home-grant

To be eligible for the grant:

• You must be at least 18 years of age.
  • You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (or applying with someone who is).
  • You or your spouse must not have previously owned property in Australia that you lived in.

41 minutes ago, LouDYorkie said:

We were told the same, bought in QLD 6 years ago. I questioned whether an overseas house counted because how they would know and monitor it and we were told that if they discovered it later, they’d say we had fraudulently declared. emoji15.pngemoji3525.png
Needless to say we didn’t claim!

Good to hear he wasn’t the only one, wonder if the rules have changed since? Or it was just rubbish advice at the time? 

Not sure if it was also relevant, but his partner is from NZ and had also previously owned a property there. 

Edited by ramot

18 minutes ago, Skani said:

The Queensland government needs to clarify its requirements.  This also from a Qld government website:  https://www.qld.gov.au/housing/buying-owning-home/financial-help-concessions/qld-first-home-grant/apply-first-home-grant

Were these the conditions 6/7 years ago, because if they were as clear as that then it’s illogical they were unknown. 

5 hours ago, Skani said:

They were the rules when we bought 12 years ago BUT we didnt still own a home in the UK, we had sold it prior to moving here. We did check with the solicitor if having previously owned in the UK  it made a difference and he said No as long as you haven't previously owned one in Aus.

Cal x

• 1 month later...
On 26/07/2020 at 00:48, DukeNinja said:

That is not true. We moved from NZ to Australia in 2003 (after being in the UK for many years and having owned several houses including two in NZ) and we were able to get the first home owners discount as we were buying our first home IN AUSTRALIA.

8 hours ago, BobHatton said:

That is not true. We moved from NZ to Australia in 2003 (after being in the UK for many years and having owned several houses including two in NZ) and we were able to get the first home owners discount as we were buying our first home IN AUSTRALIA.

See my post above with the screenshot 

Screenshot_20200727-141722_Chrome.jpg

Yeah, I read that. I think it depends on who arranges the mortgage for you to be honest. We were accepted, although that was in January 2003 - things may have changed.

This is taken verbatim from the Queensland Government site today;

To be eligible for the grant:

• You must be at least 18 years of age.
  • You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (or applying with someone who is).
  • You or your spouse must not have previously owned property in Australia that you lived in.
  • You must be buying or building a brand new home.
  • The value of the home including the land is less than $750,000.
  • You must move into the new home as your principal place of residence within 1 year of the completed transaction and live there continuously for 6 months.

We won't be buying any time soon in Australia.  We have only just arrived in Perth (15th) and unfortunately the sale of our home in the UK was meant to complete on the 7th September but the client concerned of our buyer failed to complete and has now been served notice by our solicitor.  2 more dates were meant to have completed but each time failed again. If no completion has taken place by lunchtime on Monday then the contract will rescind and we will have to put our home back on the market.

We have been through hell these last few weeks and never, ever thought we would have to deal with this on top of moving abroad. There has been many tears, anger and frustration and we now face the prospect of having to reinstate our direct debits in the  UK just so we can pay for our home sitting empty, plus storage costs of our belongings in Perth.  Our dream of buying our first home in Australia is long gone, now we have a tough time ahead, having to wait until we are out of quarantine at the end of the month, to find work fir the both of us. On the upside, we have family we can stay with, but not for ever.

We are happy to be back in Australia,  but no excitement due to our home not completing.😭😭😭😭😭🎂

• Sad 2