Western Australia Teachers 491

Rob Frain

My wife and I are two teachers who started the AITSL process and TOEFL process back in September. My wife's AITSL has come through as passed (she's the main applicant as shes been teaching for 15 years) and has also completed the TOEFL English test. My AITSL wanted further info which I have now provided and I should hear from them in early April/late March. My question is we were thinking of applying on the 491 and really want to head to WA to teach, however I'm now hearing we cant do this now? Please can someone confirm and if true what other options do we have? 

Secondary teacher isn't a demand occupation in WA.

Almost all the other states are available to you on a 491 (and some on a 190)

Primary teacher also not an option for WA.

Almost any other state is available as a 491 (with less on a 190 than secondary teacher)

So to put it bluntly unless you can amass a huge points haul and go for a 189, then Western Australia is not an option under any circumstances for your career.

Edited by Ausvisitor

1 minute ago, Ausvisitor said:

Almost any other state is available as a 491 (with less on a 190 than secondary teacher)

So to put it bluntly unless you can amass a huge points haul and go for a 189, then Western Australia is not an option under any circumstances for your career.

When was it taken off the list?! :-(  WA is really where we want to go. Lots of friends in WA. Family are in NSW but really don't want to move over there as pretty old school.

1 hour ago, Rob Frain said:

When was it taken off the list?! 😞 WA is really where we want to go. Lots of friends in WA. Family are in NSW but really don't want to move over there as pretty old school.

No idea when WA decided not to include it in their nomination lists.

WA seem to be particularly stingy with sponsorship full stop at the moment regardless of career.

As someone else said, once you are out in Oz you do your time in the state that nominates you and if by then it hasn't won you over you can move to your preferred location

On 03/02/2020 at 23:30, Ausvisitor said:

No idea when WA decided not to include it in their nomination lists.

WA seem to be particularly stingy with sponsorship full stop at the moment regardless of career.

As someone else said, once you are out in Oz you do your time in the state that nominates you and if by then it hasn't won you over you can move to your preferred location

I'm trying to find out how long the "time" is?! 🙂  Is it different for different states - or is it all 5 years for the 491?

Edited by Rob Frain

17 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

I'm trying to find out how long the "time" is?! 🙂  Is it different for different states - or is it all 5 years for the 491?

The rules for 491 are standard across the country. The max length of a 491 is 5 years, if you want to stay longer you need another visa type after the 5 years.

Once you meet the residence/employment conditions on your 491 you can if you wish apply for a 191 which is permanent (little is known about this at present as no-one can apply for one untl 16th Nov 2022 - 3 years after the 491 became active as a program)

FROM THE IMMI WEBSITE 

You must:
  • hold an eligible visa
  • have lived for at least 3 years and have a taxable income at or above a specific income threshold for at least three years
  • both primary and secondary applicants have complied with the conditions of the eligible visa you hold or have held

=====

So assuming you get a job at the right salary (I don't know if this is published yet) on day one of living in Oz, you can apply for a 191 exactly 3 years later (if you haven't left the country at all - time out (even for a day) stops the clock until you return)

It will take some time to process the 191 - so assume 6-9 months; so you could be a PR within 4 years. You can't or work outside a regional area until you actually have the 191, so it will be longer than the qualifying 3 years before you can move

44 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

The rules for 491 are standard across the country. The max length of a 491 is 5 years, if you want to stay longer you need another visa type after the 5 years.

Once you meet the residence/employment conditions on your 491 you can if you wish apply for a 191 which is permanent (little is known about this at present as no-one can apply for one untl 16th Nov 2022 - 3 years after the 491 became active as a program)

FROM THE IMMI WEBSITE 

You must:
  • hold an eligible visa
  • have lived for at least 3 years and have a taxable income at or above a specific income threshold for at least three years
  • both primary and secondary applicants have complied with the conditions of the eligible visa you hold or have held

=====

So assuming you get a job at the right salary (I don't know if this is published yet) on day one of living in Oz, you can apply for a 191 exactly 3 years later (if you haven't left the country at all - time out (even for a day) stops the clock until you return)

It will take some time to process the 191 - so assume 6-9 months; so you could be a PR within 4 years. You can't or work outside a regional area until you actually have the 191, so it will be longer than the qualifying 3 years before you can move

Thanks for this - loads of help 🙂

So AITSLs have been done and our English test has been done... now just need to find a decent place to live and apply to. Loved WA - may need to book a holiday now to have a look around other states! Want somewhere similar to WA - modern!

10 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

So AITSLs have been done and our English test has been done... now just need to find a decent place to live and apply to. Loved WA - may need to book a holiday now to have a look around other states! Want somewhere similar to WA - modern!

WA is modern?  Can you explain what you mean by that?     Australia is a fairly new country wherever you go.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

WA is modern?  Can you explain what you mean by that?     Australia is a fairly new country wherever you go.  

Probably as they are still building it! I also love the areas around it where you can build your own house. Having been to other places in Melbourne and close to Coffs Harbour the houses are a bit "dated" - or at least the ones I've visited. Please tell me if im wrong.. As I said may need a visit again to look other than WA.  

7 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Got to agree, Sydney and Melbourne centres are certainly more "glass everywhere" modern than Perth, with better transport and culture too. WA is lovely but it is too far from anything

7 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

Got to agree, Sydney and Melbourne centres are certainly more "glass everywhere" modern than Perth, with better transport and culture too. WA is lovely but it is too far from anything

Ill have to take another visit!! 🙂 Any decent places for teachers?!

13 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

Probably as they are still building it! I also love the areas around it where you can build your own house. Having been to other places in Melbourne and close to Coffs Harbour the houses are a bit "dated" - or at least the ones I've visited. Please tell me if im wrong.. As I said may need a visit again to look other than WA.  

Lol - you'll find on the forum Rob that Perth is a place that people love to hate and gets bashed a lot for being too isolated and boring.  I like visiting over East but love living in the West - don't know when you last visited Elizabeth Quay is looking really good and the Ritz have built a hotel there.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rob Frain said:

Bear in mind that if you go for the 491, you won't be allowed to live in any of the capital cities until you get your permanent visa.  What you saw in Coffs is probably typical of the kind of place you'll be living.  However in all th smaller cities, you would have a reasonable chance of affording to build your own new home.

Edited by Marisawright

5 minutes ago, ali said:

Lol - you'll find on the forum Rob that Perth is a place that people love to hate and gets bashed a lot for being too isolated and boring.  I like visiting over East but love living in the West - don't know when you last visited Elizabeth Quay is looking really good and the Ritz have built a hotel there.  

I loved it. The Ritz was half built when I was last there. Our friends live in Secret Harbour and we loved some of the houses there. Also loved Mandurah. We'll just have to take a look now.....

1 minute ago, Rob Frain said:

That's what we want to do!

If you are going on a 491 you need to be aware that the process for buying property is more involved.

You need "FIRB" permission to buy/build (essentially government permission) and you'll pay a punitive stamp duty (much worse than the UKs second home uplift) - although as you are building its only on the cost of the land which in the regions will be pretty cheap.

You also won't qualify for first time buyer incentives (either mortgage or stamp duty discounts)

This changes once you get your PR and its the same as if you were a citizen then (but you can't claim back any of the premiums you've already paid as a temp resident)

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 06/02/2020 at 09:17, Rob Frain said:

If you want to build your own home, then you'll stand a much better chance if you avoid all the capital cities, including Perth - unless  you are very rich.  Most new suburbs in the capitals are far out of town, faceless dormitory suburbs with little to no infrastructure and a long commute into the city.  

The other reason to avoid the capital cities is that there's a glut of young teachers who want to work there.   The only reason Australia wants to attract teachers is because there's a shortage out in the regional areas.  The bonus for you, is that land in the regional areas is cheap (compared to the cities) and you'll be able to afford a nice country house rather than a suburban shoebox. You also stand a lot more chance of affording a home closer to the beach.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/02/2020 at 06:17, Rob Frain said:

So many options to build - definitely achievable.  I'm in an older suburb and have found that people are buying, demolishing the house on it and re-building so a few new builds sprouting up in our area.

Good luck with the visa, my daughter has headed into teaching and has got her first permanent position after being on contract for 2 years. 

• 2 months later...
On 04/02/2020 at 04:58, Ausvisitor said:

Hi @Ausvisitor - thank you for your contributions above.

I have seen that teachers are on the graduate list for WA, however, part of the problem is ensuring that you have a contract when your visa application comes around. Looking at how unpredictable things are, this almost certainly rules out offshore candidates, even though we have graduated from WA.

Has WA always had this condition..? Thank you.

41 minutes ago, Rick2021 said:

Hi @Ausvisitor - thank you for your contributions above.

I have seen that teachers are on the graduate list for WA, however, part of the problem is ensuring that you have a contract when your visa application comes around. Looking at how unpredictable things are, this almost certainly rules out offshore candidates, even though we have graduated from WA.

Has WA always had this condition..? Thank you.

Offshore applicants are already explicitly ruled out at the moment: “Only applicants currently residing in Australia are eligible for Western Australian State nomination. ”

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, paulhand said:

Offshore applicants are already explicitly ruled out at the moment: “Only applicants currently residing in Australia are eligible for Western Australian State nomination. ”

Hi @paulhand - thank you. Yes, I understand that. But am I also correct in assuming that WA has historically had the contract condition as well? Thanks for your input.