Sh*t towns of Australia

Toots

What do Kalgoorlie, Tennant Creek, Mount Gambier, Dubbo, Mount Isa and Logan have in common?

Key points:

Facebook's Shit Towns of Australia page has polarised communities with some finding it funny but others feeling insulted.

Kalgoorlie's mayor is not amused and says it is social media 'out of control'.

They're all in the running to be crowned Australia's 'Shit Town of the Year' in a competition that has attracted a mix of horror and enthusiastic support from residents.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-10/shit-towns-of-australia-facebook-page/11689850

You ain’t seen nuthin’ yet...Go and see Elliot in the NT...Or Wyndham, Roebourne and Hall’s Creek, In WA. Those you named are well above those I named.

And, yes, have been to and through all of them.
Cheers, Bobj.

Edited by Bobj
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, calNgary said:

To be fair some suburbs of Logan (mainly around the centre) are pretty dire in comparison to other areas. At the end of the day though i guess it depends what you are comparing too as ive seen way worse places to live, whilst growing up.

Cal x

There's the same sort of pages for towns in the UK too. It used to be called chavtowns but might have changed it's name. I have a read and a laugh now and then. The place I'm from, Chesterfield, doesn't come out too well but I loved growing up there.

I've visited a few of those Aussie towns mentioned on work trips when I worked in the mining industry and there's no way I could live in them. Family would be the same. We are typical poms in paradise though and love being near the beach. We are only 30km out of Perth though, so perfect for us.

Pages are meant as a joke but people love to be offended by something. If they likr living in Kalgoorlie that's all that matters.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

I’ve stayed in Isa, ok it was a few years ago and I do like rural and exploring, but I liked it. I suppose passing through is different from living there.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, annatour said:

what is it that makes a town terrible?

is it the lack of jobs

is it the people

is it the location and isolation

for me, the place may be paradise but what happens when the people are parochial, exclusive or nasty? Or there are few jobs? Or it is isolated?

A bit of everything you mention.  

Which sh!t town do you live in?  

I’ve stayed in Isa, ok it was a few years ago and I do like rural and exploring, but I liked it. I suppose passing through is different from living there.

I have a friend from Mt Isa, he goes back and goes fishing there from time to time and I’ve said I’ll go at some point. It doesn’t strike me as somewhere I’d like to live (just too remote for me) but somewhere I’d be more than happy to visit!
  • Like 1