Been here a while.

Dm1

3 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Out of curiosity would you all choose Australia or UK to live in present day?

I have always felt at home here in Australia and I've now lived over half my life here so I would choose Australia.  Absolutely nothing against the UK.  I have very happy memories of the place, however we are now retired and very much enjoying life in Tasmania after living and working in Sydney for a long time.  I only have one sister back in Scotland and my husband also has only one sister in England so no other close family there. 

17 hours ago, Dm1 said:

There are ups and downs for all countries. Depends what you want from life, what type of life you can make for yourself and whether you can give it a fair go or not. I've met people in Melbourne who love living here and have embraced Oz 110% and then there those who are still homesick all the time, pine for British goods and pay $$$ for groceries cos they pay for overpriced imports and don't seem to be happy at all. Wherever you live, life is what you make it so make it a good one!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beffers said:

There are ups and downs for all countries. Depends what you want from life, what type of life you can make for yourself and whether you can give it a fair go or not. I've met people in Melbourne who love living here and have embraced Oz 110% and then there those who are still homesick all the time, pine for British goods and pay $$$ for groceries cos they pay for overpriced imports and don't seem to be happy at all. Wherever you live, life is what you make it so make it a good one!!

Cheers Beffers

I've never understood buying food that your used to when your away from home.  Always makes me laugh when your abroad and you see people stoking up on food that they get back home.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lavers said:

Cheers Beffers

I've never understood buying food that your used to when your away from home.  Always makes me laugh when your abroad and you see people stoking up on food that they get back home.

Little Englanders

What is good about living in Australia is being very far away from the never ending toxic mire the UK is in over Brexit, illustrated recently by the comments of a fairly well know left wing female comedian who has fantasies of throwing acid at politicians she does not like. 

1 hour ago, Red Rose said:

What is good about living in Australia is being very far away from the never ending toxic mire the UK is in over Brexit, illustrated recently by the comments of a fairly well know left wing female comedian who has fantasies of throwing acid at politicians she does not like. 

The thing is red rose is that most people dont even pay any attention to what is going on with Brexit seeing as it has gone on for so long.

Businesses seem to be booming at the minute and especially in my line of work (engineering) companies have work lined up into next year.

Houses seem to be selling within a couple of months also.

24 minutes ago, Lavers said:

The thing is red rose is that most people dont even pay any attention to what is going on with Brexit seeing as it has gone on for so long.

Businesses seem to be booming at the minute and especially in my line of work (engineering) companies have work lined up into next year.

Hi Lavers that is good news hopefully the rest of the UK economy is not too impacted by the Brexit uncertainty. High streets though (in the UK) still look like they are struggling. 

40 minutes ago, Red Rose said:

Hi Lavers that is good news hopefully the rest of the UK economy is not too impacted by the Brexit uncertainty. High streets though (in the UK) still look like they are struggling. 

High streets are struggling but I think that's just down to the internet letting us buy things cheaper seeing as we have had our pants pulled down for years and secondly they keep building retail parks just outside of town centres which everyone seems to go to instead.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Lavers said:

Out of curiosity would you all choose Australia or UK to live in present day?

I'm happier in Australia but it's not a logical choice, it's a gut feeling.   I think that's often the case for people.  I remember arriving in Sydney and having the oddest feeling that I'd come home, and that feeling has never left me.   Whereas it's not unusual for Brits to arrive in Australia and never, ever lose the sense that they're in a strange land and don't truly "belong".  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

High streets are struggling but I think that's just down ....and secondly they keep building retail parks just outside of town centres which everyone seems to go to instead.

I'm sure the retail parks make a big difference.   You see that in Australia too.   In Sydney, a group called Westfield has built several huge shopping malls dotted across the suburbs over the last fifty years or so.   The result is that many Sydney suburbs are awful faceless places - they may have leafy streets but they have no shops and no pubs.  They might have a Chinese and a kebab shop if they're lucky.  Everyone gets in the car to go shopping.   The same thing didn't happen in Melbourne, and I'm still astonished at the way every inner suburb has a high street bursting with cafés and shops.

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:51, Lavers said:

If that is the case then I would stay put unless you have a permanent job already lined up to move to here.  My view is that the economy here is not great and, unless you are well paid, the cost of living here is high and there are lots of hidden extras.  You have to pay alot of out of pocket here for medical care.  There is no free dentistry and private dentistry is very expensive.  If you have private health insurance it covers less and less each year....  Schoolbooks and materials are also not free here so you have to pay for those.  When we had three in school, the school resources cost us about $1000 a year.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

If that is the case then I would stay put unless you have a permanent job already lined up to move to here.  My view is that the economy here is not great and, unless you are well paid, the cost of living here is high and there are lots of hidden extras.  You have to pay alot of out of pocket here for medical care.  There is no free dentistry and private dentistry is very expensive.  If you have private health insurance it covers less and less each year....  Schoolbooks and materials are also not free here so you have to pay for those.  When we had three in school, the school resources cost us about $1000 a year.

You have hit quite a few nails on the head there.  The economy has slowed greatly over the past few years.. there is jobs but rates of pay have at best stagnated. Im actually getting less now than i did over 7 years ago.. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

I'm retired now but I received a decent pay rise each year.  I don't think that is happening now.  The economy has defiintely slowed.  I would be a bit worried if I was a new migrant and didn't have a job ready and waiting for me.  As you say, you have to budget for those things you mention above.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input guys and loopylu I have factored all these things into my budget best i can. Also i think things like that will start happening in the UK also.

I've looked on the job sites for my trade as a boilermaker / metal fabricator and there seems to be plenty of jobs available with good rates of pay.

Theres a few guys at my place who have just come back from Aus and they say that they struggle to get skilled men just like they do here, so I'm confident that with my experience I will find a job.

The thing is you never know if you're doing the right thing or not financially but then I'm not thinking of moving for financial reasons, so as long as we can live fairly comfortably then that will do for me.

I'm a supervisor in the UK but I can earn the same money in AUS back on the tools.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Thanks for the input guys and loopylu I have factored all these things into my budget best i can. Also i think things like that will start happening in the UK also.

I've looked on the job sites for my trade as a boilermaker / metal fabricator and there seems to be plenty of jobs available with good rates of pay.

Theres a few guys at my place who have just come back from Aus and they say that they struggle to get skilled men just like they do here, so I'm confident that with my experience I will find a job.

The thing is you never know if you're doing the right thing or not financially but then I'm not thinking of moving for financial reasons, so as long as we can live fairly comfortably then that will do for me.

I'm a supervisor in the UK but I can earn the same money in AUS back on the tools.

You sound like you have your head screwed on.  Very best of luck to you.  😀

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Lavers said:

I reckon you should be able to get work ok.. 

On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 13:06, Lavers said:

I think the migrants from the so called lesser countries will be moving for a better life, where as people like myself from the more established countries are just moving for a different life.

I'm under no elusion that I will encounter the same issues which I encounter in the UK but would like to see what its like when 9 times out of 10 you have decent weather at a weekend where we can all go out and hopefully the kids have a bit more to do than hanging around on street corners getting pissed at 11 yrs old.

When I get home from work I am knackered and just want to chill so I don't think that the minute we get to Aus that we will be going down to the beach every night. 

Nothing wrong with my life in the UK but what's wrong with trying something different.

You might not go to the beach every night but live close enough and you could. We still go every weekend, even in winter and a couple of times after work.

In summer I go most mornings before work, usually 5:30 for a ski paddle or swim then coffee with mates to put the world right before the working day starts.

It's amazing how much good weather and good environment can influence your wellbeing. You might still feel knackered when you get home from work but if you force yourself to go do stuff you'll feel a lot better than just watching TV. I know a lot of people will say you could do that in the UK too but it doesn't happen. My cousin came to stay with us a few years back. Got him into getting up and coming to the beach with me most mornings. He started running and exercising and swore he would get a few of our mutual friends to join him running when he got back to Chesterfield.

He was all fired up and managed to get half a dozen interested for a few weeks. Then the cold wet weather came and they dropped out one by one. Got an email from him couple of months later and he was back in the welfare every night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Paul, has there ever been a scenario discussed on this site that you haven't had a 'mate' go through so that you can share his/her experience with us?

You name it, a mate has done it, the Australian version of events is preferable and everyone agreed it was. Every time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

You might not go to the beach every night but live close enough and you could. We still go every weekend, even in winter and a couple of times after work.

In summer I go most mornings before work, usually 5:30 for a ski paddle or swim then coffee with mates to put the world right before the working day starts.

It's amazing how much good weather and good environment can influence your wellbeing. You might still feel knackered when you get home from work but if you force yourself to go do stuff you'll feel a lot better than just watching TV. I know a lot of people will say you could do that in the UK too but it doesn't happen. My cousin came to stay with us a few years back. Got him into getting up and coming to the beach with me most mornings. He started running and exercising and swore he would get a few of our mutual friends to join him running when he got back to Chesterfield.

He was all fired up and managed to get half a dozen interested for a few weeks. Then the cold wet weather came and they dropped out one by one. Got an email from him couple of months later and he was back in the welfare every night.

Cheers Paul and that's the sort of things we want to be doing as a family.

We are all heavily into our sports and keeping fit so it will be nicer not having to worry about the weather all the time.

Hopefully it wont be any worse in Aus than the UK but we may as well have the weather 😎

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Cheers Paul and that's the sort of things we want to be doing as a family.

We are all heavily into our sports and keeping fit so it will be nicer not having to worry about the weather 

You just need to be sure you’re moving somewhere you can afford to be close to the beaches. I’m Sydney for instance, the average person lives an hour or two from the nearest beach, far inland, because homes near the beaches are for millionaires only 

On 17/06/2019 at 18:10, Lavers said:

Its just about adapting and not comparing everything to the country which you have just left (I would imagine).  Been in the UK all my life and been at the same company since I left school (20 yrs ago), so it will be a big change in many ways but something I just have to try.

The out door lifestyle is what my family wants the most as that is what we love here but is hard work at times.  We are into the so called summer season but it hasn't stopped raining in the 3 weeks.

The area I live in the UK isn't bad but there isn't much for kids as they keep shutting everything, and the play areas we do have for kids aren't really well maintained.

Main thing is I don't want to wake up in 20yrs time thinking what if.

I think i wrote a near identical post 13 years ago.. and,,, no regrets yet, its tough at times (mainly missing family /friends) but much more suited to our family and outdoor lifestyle.

Cal x

• Like 4