AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

Update **********************

Date of Application: 18/03/2016.

City Council/State: Wagga Wagga / NSW.

Application Mode: Online (Provided all documents upfront).

Acknowledgement date:18/03/ 2016.

** 23/03/16 got a email form Immi asking to send a copy of original birth certificate and Form 1339 before book for test

Email for Citizenship Test/Interview: TBA

Citizenship test: TBA

update;

Date of Application: 18/03/2016.

City Council/State: Wagga Wagga / NSW.

Application Mode: Online (Provided all documents upfront).

Acknowledgement date:18/03/ 2016.

23/03/16 got a email form Immi asking to send a copy of original birth certificate and Form 1339 before book for test

Email for Citizenship Test/Interview: 07 April 16

Test date : 05 May 16

Edited by Dinu001

Hey All,

Sharing my citizenship timelines:

Application date: 03-Feb-2016

Correspondence Email for a Test Appointment: 09-Feb-2016

Test Date: 04-Apr-2016 (Parramatta NSW)

Approval: Waiting

Ceremony Date:

Waiting for the approval after the test. Any idea how many days/weeks for approval?

Though it's not even a week since I gave the test, a bit concerned because they got my address wrong in my test invitation letter (they would have posted it to my PR address in their profile). I got an email so I know the test appointment date. Should I call them and check? Is it too early?

Thanks!

Guest paulthepom

Hi v190

I sat my test on 14 January and the approval letter was dated 9 February, so it was about a month after sitting the test until I received approval. My wife sat her test 2 weeks later and also received her approval letter about a month later. It may be worth calling immi to check they have your correct address, but be prepared to be waiting 'on hold' for a while if you call. Our experience is they're usually pretty busy

Hi v190

I sat my test on 14 January and the approval letter was dated 9 February, so it was about a month after sitting the test until I received approval. My wife sat her test 2 weeks later and also received her approval letter about a month later. It may be worth calling immi to check they have your correct address, but be prepared to be waiting 'on hold' for a while if you call. Our experience is they're usually pretty busy

Thank you paulthepom! Is the approval by letter/mail or 'e-mail'? And after that approval how long did it take for you to receive the ceremony invitation letter in your mailbox?

Thank you paulthepom! Is the approval by letter/mail or 'e-mail'? And after that approval how long did it take for you to receive the ceremony invitation letter in your mailbox?

Approval is by mail directly from Canberra. Don't expect anything by email or in your immi account from here onwards.

The ceremony invitation comes from your council by mail (unless your council is Sydney Council if I recall correctly, who are the only ones to use email). It depends on how many ceremonies they run per year, how many invitees per ceremony and how many people are in the queue ahead of you. Melbourne councils are notoriously slow taking over six months, Canberra is extremely fast based on what one reads. Either way you can get more insight into timlines at http://www.sharemytimeline.info

Approval is by mail directly from Canberra. Don't expect anything by email or in your immi account from here onwards.

The ceremony invitation comes from your council by mail (unless your council is Sydney Council if I recall correctly, who are the only ones to use email). It depends on how many ceremonies they run per year, how many invitees per ceremony and how many people are in the queue ahead of you. Melbourne councils are notoriously slow taking over six months, Canberra is extremely fast based on what one reads. Either way you can get more insight into timlines at www.sharemytimeline.info

Thank you, littlegreenman for the info! I got my approval letter today in my mailbox :) Exactly one week from the test date (4th Apr) and the letter was dated 5th Apr.

Waiting begins for the last step in the process!

Hi guys

I am going to apply for citizenship

on 1st week of may-2016.currently im on 186/ens since 7/5/2015 I am still

confused about few things. let me describe my situation in a short.

I am

working in same employer from last 5 years from where ive got my sponsorship.my

pr granted on 07/05/2015. my wife with

got pr at the same time ( she was

offshore applicant, ive applied for both of us at the same time ).

I am

living Australia from 04/2008. I've been visited overseas for 290 days in total

in last 8 years period in 6 different times which includes 43 days since I have got my pr (last

year)

------------------------

My queries are

1. Should I need to get

police clearance certificate from both Australia and Bangladesh? I still

have the one ive collected for pr

application on 03/2014 from both countries .would that work?

2. If I

apply online from my immiaccount ,do I still need to printed -filled up-scanned copy of form

1195 -identity declaration ? if yes ,what is the easiest way to get singed on

photo and on the form, as I don't know personally any of the mentioned

professionals .

3. When my wife will be eligible to apply for citizenship

( she first arrived here on 14/5/2015 after granting her pr)

4. I have my current passport,

old passport , birth certificate , driving licence , gas bill, national id

ready, anything else I need to apply for

citizenship?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone

from the same/linked situation please!!please!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

a lot

mohammed

My Citizienship Timeline:

Applied: 2/12/15

Sat Test: 8/1/16

Approval Letter: 15/1/16

Ceremony Date: May 16

5 months from passing test to the ceremony date, however it did note that extra ceremonies were taking place due to amount of applicants.

good luck everyone.

Hi guys

I am going to apply for citizenship

on 1st week of may-2016.currently im on 186/ens since 7/5/2015 I am still

confused about few things. let me describe my situation in a short.

I am

working in same employer from last 5 years from where ive got my sponsorship.my

pr granted on 07/05/2015. my wife with

got pr at the same time ( she was

offshore applicant, ive applied for both of us at the same time ).

I am

living Australia from 04/2008. I've been visited overseas for 290 days in total

in last 8 years period in 6 different times which includes 43 days since I have got my pr (last

year)

------------------------

My queries are

1. Should I need to get

police clearance certificate from both Australia and Bangladesh? I still

have the one ive collected for pr

application on 03/2014 from both countries .would that work?

2. If I

apply online from my immiaccount ,do I still need to printed -filled up-scanned copy of form

1195 -identity declaration ? if yes ,what is the easiest way to get singed on

photo and on the form, as I don't know personally any of the mentioned

professionals .

3. When my wife will be eligible to apply for citizenship

( she first arrived here on 14/5/2015 after granting her pr)

4. I have my current passport,

old passport , birth certificate , driving licence , gas bill, national id

ready, anything else I need to apply for

citizenship?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone

from the same/linked situation please!!please!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

a lot

mohammed

1. Since police checks are done when you get your permanent residency I believe you only need to have them done again for the period since you got your PR and only for countries that you spent more than 12 months in during that period (which should mean you don't need them since DIAC do the Australian police check themselves - but hopefully others who've obtained PR after arriving in Australia may be able to confirm that).

2. Most people have seen a Doctor during their time in Australia. If they have a record that shows they first saw you at least a year ago they're normally happy to sign.

3. If that's the first time she's ever visited Australia then 14/5/2019 - i.e. in 4 years provided she doesn't spend more that 1 of those 4 years outside of Australia including no more that 3 of the final 12 months (same rules as for you). If she has visited Australia in the past then 14/5/2018 provided she doesn't leave Australia at all during those 3 years (because she can include the first year when she was outside of Australia as part of her 4 year residency).

4. You'll also need a passport type photograph that's no more than 6 months old.

5 months from passing test to the ceremony date, however it did note that extra ceremonies were taking place due to amount of applicants.

good luck everyone.

Hi downunderthestairs,

When did you get your ceremony invite letter in your mailbox. And your City/council name please? Thanks!

Hi,

I'm wondering when I can apply for Citizenship. My timeline is as follows:

2012 March - June: first entered Australia on a Tourist visa (evisitor)

<spent 6 months overseas>, tourist visa still valid but had a limitation of no more than 3 months any given time

2013 January - March: Tourist visa (evisitor)

2013 March - May: Bridging for 457 (no period spent unlawful)

2013 May - 2015 Nov: on 457, < total of 7 weeks out of the country during this period >

2015 Nov - 2016 Nov: on 186 (PR)

Now, I'm unclear on whether I can apply in November 2016 when my PR turns 1 year old, or January 2017 when my continuous stay started. If I count back 4 years from November 2016, I wasn't in the country then, so does the fact that I've been to the country previously still count as the start of my 4 years?

Thanks to anyone who can give a *definite* answer, especially if they're from 1st-hand experience.

I checked the border site, it says if I ever spent any time on any sort of bridging visa then I should contact them. It's not November yet, so I haven't contacted them, but I'm wondering why that's mentioned...

Hi,

<spent 6 months overseas>, tourist visa still valid but had a limitation of no more than 3 months any given time

2013 May - 2015 Nov: on 457, < total of 7 weeks out of the country during this period >

Now, I'm unclear on whether I can apply in November 2016 when my PR turns 1 year old, or January 2017 when my continuous stay started. If I count back 4 years from November 2016, I wasn't in the country then, so does the fact that I've been to the country previously still count as the start of my 4 years?

Thanks to anyone who can give a *definite* answer, especially if they're from 1st-hand experience.

I checked the border site, it says if I ever spent any time on any sort of bridging visa then I should contact them. It's not November yet, so I haven't contacted them, but I'm wondering why that's mentioned...

Sorry I don't know what difference the bridging visa makes. As the site says you'll need to contact them about that. I will tell you that the fact that you weren't in the country 4 years before your application makes no difference (I wasn't in Australia for the entire first year of my 4 year residency for example and had last been in Australia - for a week - 2 years earlier). If it weren't for the bridging visa then you'd merely need to have been in Australia for 3 or more of the last 4 years including 9 or more of the last 12 months and have held PR for the last 12 months.

Edited by Ken

Hi,

I actually had a less convoluted yet similar timeline. Bottom line is you need to have been in the country exactly four years before the day you've applied. Since you were out June 12 - January 13 you will not be able to apply June 16 - January 17. Whether you were in the country on a tourist visa, bridging visa etc. doesn't matter as long as you had a valid visa while you were in the country, while overseas doesn't matter and the visas don't need to have been continous. In my case I had a tourist visa and was in the country for only 5 days until I left, visa expired, got PR three months later and moved here for 3+ years. I was able to apply during the 5 day window from the 5 day work trip I had four years earlier.

Guest dubsydney

good luck everyone.

Hi congrats!

When did you get the mail for the ceremony date?

thanks

Date applied - 20/8/15

City/Council area - Melbourne, Banyule

Online / Paper - Paper

Date received the acknowledgement email - 1/9/15

Date of the Citizenship Test - 30/9/15

Family of 5 - 4 approval letters were received 8/10/15 . The 5th approval letter arrived 2/11/15.

Date of ceremony - 14/4/16

Type of ceremony - normal

Hi congrats!

When did you get the mail for the ceremony date?

thanks

hey mate. literally got it (in the post) earlier this week. I'm in bondi so Waverley council have had to start using extra venues to fit everyone into the alleged 6 month time limit. quite happy with 5 months as the locals who'd recently been through the process were telling me 7-8 months. its a Tuesday afternoon ceremony but ill be happy to not go back in work and drain a few beers in bondi, just hope the sun comes out!

unless you are abby and Brittany Hensel, then yes.

what do you think?!!!

one more question, can i choose specific council or DIBP allocated council based on my address?

i'm asking this question because i'll move to new address around November 2016 but i'll lodge my application on october 2016.

Good day! I have a question about the good character check (Australian police check) for the citizenship application.

When can you apply for it? Is it after the day you satisfied the eligibility requirements?

I will be eligible to apply for the Citizenship on the 30th of April. Thank you.

@MaggieMay24

I just want to know that, can i choose a specific council? or DIBP will allocate the council based on my address?

i'm asking this question because i'll move to new address around November 2016 but i'll lodge my application on october 2016.

If your circumstances change after submitting the application, then you'll have to notify them of your new address. It really is as straightforward as that.

Ceremonies are allocated to the council in which you reside.