AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

Long time reader - nearly there now so update below for information in case anyone finds it useful:-

Date applied - 13/9/18

City/Council area - Brisbane

Online / Paper - Paper

Date received the acknowledgement email - 16/9/18

Email received 19/06/2019 with date for citizenship test for 16/09/2019

Email received 19/06/2019 with request for further information - original overseas penal certificate (to send in or bring to test) 

Date of the Citizenship Test - 10/07/2019 (rescheduled from 16/09/2019)

Date of approval on immi site (within ten mins of leaving test centre)  - 10/07/2019 

Citizenship approval letter received -19/07/2019

Date ceremony invite letter received - 17/08/2019

Date of ceremony - 14/09/2019

Type of ceremony - Normal

• Congratulations 1

On 17/08/2019 at 17:58, Lasanga Herath said:

Date applied - 16/8/19

City/Council area - City of Casey / Victoria

Online / Paper - Online

Date received the acknowledgement email - 16/8/19

Date of the Citizenship Test - TBA

Citizenship approval letter - TBA

Date of ceremony - TBA

Type of ceremony - TBA

Thanks for sharing your details. I applied on 8/8/2019. We are on the same boat. Would be good to be in touch.

• Like 1

On 16/08/2019 at 04:18, Indianinoz said:

I heard that they're routing the new applications through the new system which is quicker whereas the ones in 2017 and early 2018 are still being processed by the old system which is slower. The process remains the same, only the processing time has reduced. This is what I read at a few places.

By time it has got quicker, don't know about the 2017 and 2018 applications whether they'll be considered in the faster process or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tosh14 said:

hi guys 

If anyone can tell me eligibility for applying citizenship? How many months/year one should be resident before applying or can I apply straight after becoming resident ?

You should be a permanent resident for 1 year before you apply for citizenship 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tosh14 said:

hi guys 

If anyone can tell me eligibility for applying citizenship? How many months/year one should be resident before applying or can I apply straight after becoming resident ?

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/tools/residence-calculator

Calculator above allows you to check your intended lodgement date for citizenship

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tosh14 said:

hi guys 

Minimum of 1 year must have been spend in Australia as a permanent resident to be an Australian citizen. 

• Thanks 1

After getting my PR approved I have not travelled outside Australia. However, before getting PR I lived in USA for 5 years. As part of my PR I submitted FBI Police clearance from USA. Now my citizenship timeline is as follows 

Applied for Citizenship: 15-March-2018
Test Invitation: 01-May-2019
Test date: 12-Jun-2019 (Pass test 100%)
Test Centre: Parramatta,NSW
Council:Cumberland Council
Approval letter: Waiting
Ceremony: Waiting

Do you folks think Australin IMMI might perform a fresh Police check for me for the US ?  Not sure what has happened to my application. Appears to have slipped into a black hole somewhere.

Regards

Bamborabi

8 hours ago, Bamborabi said:

After getting my PR approved I have not travelled outside Australia. However, before getting PR I lived in USA for 5 years. As part of my PR I submitted FBI Police clearance from USA. Now my citizenship timeline is as follows 

Applied for Citizenship: 15-March-2018
Test Invitation: 01-May-2019
Test date: 12-Jun-2019 (Pass test 100%)
Test Centre: Parramatta,NSW
Council:Cumberland Council
Approval letter: Waiting
Ceremony: Waiting

Do you folks think Australin IMMI might perform a fresh Police check for me for the US ?  Not sure what has happened to my application. Appears to have slipped into a black hole somewhere.

Regards

Bamborabi

They will ask you to supply that overseas police clearance if they need it.

And yep a waiting game this whole thing is.

51 minutes ago, Bamborabi said:

Anyone here in this forum has applied for citizenship via the Sub Class 309/100 Spouse Visa route ? Can you please share your timelines. Does the approval for folks applying through this route take longer ?

Regards,

Bamborabi

visa class shouldnt affect citizenship application , when you have done your time as  PR you can apply ...

we are 189 PR visa  to citizenship  so very straight forward and still waiting from 1/18 to even sit a test ........  🙄

• Like 1

Just sharing my timeline - Citizenship test next Wednesday 🙂

Came to Australia in 2015 on a 457 Visa and then gained permanent residency (189) in 2016. 

Date applied - 14/06/2019

City/Council area - Whyalla, South Australia

Online / Paper - Online

Date received the acknowledgement email - 14/06/2019

Email received 16/07/2019 with date for citizenship test 

Date of the Citizenship Test - 28/08/2019 

Date of approval on immi site   - TBA

Date of ceremony - TBA

Type of ceremony - TBA

Edited by shaundennis
More information
  • Like 2
  • Congratulations 1

37 minutes ago, shaundennis said:

Just sharing my timeline - Citizenship test next Wednesday 🙂

Came to Australia in 2015 on a 457 Visa and then gained permanent residency (189) in 2016. 

Date applied - 14/06/2019

City/Council area - Whyalla, South Australia

Online / Paper - Online

Date received the acknowledgement email - 14/06/2019

Email received 16/07/2019 with date for citizenship test 

Date of the Citizenship Test - 28/08/2019 

Date of approval on immi site   - TBA

Date of ceremony - TBA

Type of ceremony - TBA

Wow, quick! And so very close to me in application date! woo.

• Congratulations 1

2 hours ago, shiveringpom said:

visa class shouldnt affect citizenship application , when you have done your time as  PR you can apply ...

we are 189 PR visa  to citizenship  so very straight forward and still waiting from 1/18 to even sit a test ........  🙄

Shivering Pom, I am really shivering now. Very long wait..Wonder why ? 2019 folks are also getting approvals.  2017/18 applications are the ones who are suffering due to this Ridiculous process followed by IMMI.

• Sad 3

28 minutes ago, Bamborabi said:

Shivering Pom, I am really shivering now. Very long wait..Wonder why ? 2019 folks are also getting approvals.  2017/18 applications are the ones who are suffering due to this Ridiculous process followed by IMMI.

its the lack of any contact that is a pain in the ass.....almost 20 months and just literally nothing ....no request for info/no emails/no calls just a black hole of nothingness.....saying that we still have 4 months left to get a test/get approved and get a cermony before we go over 24months wait .....after that i go to the press and PM 🤣

even just to get a test date would be nice ........ if we were complex or were being asked for more info i could understand but just nothing  whatsoever .....i will have another whine when we hit 20months on 2/9  and another one at 21 months and so on ........but trust me when we get that magic ticket to go for the test there will be a massive party !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shiveringpom said:

its the lack of any contact that is a pain in the ass.....almost 20 months and just literally nothing ....no request for info/no emails/no calls just a black hole of nothingness.....saying that we still have 4 months left to get a test/get approved and get a cermony before we go over 24months wait .....after that i go to the press and PM 🤣

even just to get a test date would be nice ........ if we were complex or were being asked for more info i could understand but just nothing  whatsoever .....i will have another whine when we hit 20months on 2/9  and another one at 21 months and so on ........but trust me when we get that magic ticket to go for the test there will be a massive party !

Third world customer service/support in a first world country. I agree the lack of communication hurts. Atleast, they should let us know what is holding them back. A simple email giving a status , without giving too much away can be reassuring.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And I thought the nightmare of this process would soon be over...😞

Application approved on 10th August but I need ceremony ASAP for uni purposes. Called my local council today to see if they could fit me in soon, only to find out that dept of home affairs hasn't even passed on my details to them yet. Lady on the phone was really nice, but obviously nothing she could do without my info from home affairs, but she did tell me that the next available ceremony was FEBRUARY 2020, but by the time my info has been sent through I could be waiting until March or April 2020, which would put me at twenty-five months from when I put my application in....really not acceptable in my eyes. 

So, next port of call was dept of home affairs. After a relatively shot wait on hold, was told that they can't tell me how long my application will take to be sent to the council, but I can send off an email to ceremonies.wa to see if I'm eligible for an urgent ceremony. So did that this afternoon and attached my uni fee invoice as evidence. Here's hoping they agree to let me have it urgent 🤞

I've thought about emailing my federal MP,  but not sure what use that would be? I'm not sure they could do anything?

Now just another waiting game...

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

I've a question - Will the below affect my partners or my citizenship applications?

Partner was granted 457 visa in October 2013 (I was de facto)

PR subclass 187 granted on 20th March 2017 (I was de facto)

Partner submitted Citizenship application April 2018, sat test September 2018 and received approval on 29th May 2019 (still waiting on ceremony)

I submitted my citizenship February 2019 (I went back to our home country in 2014 for about 6/7 months so delayed the date I could apply). My citizenship status is still received (not expecting any updates anytime soon with the current processing times)

Partner has been with the same employer from the beginning, they sponsored him on 457 and again for the 187 PR. Yesterday they handed him a causal contract (obviously was on a permanent full time contract since 2013) this causal contract came as a surprise, when he was handed it he was told it was just because work was getting a little quiet (construction industry) he signed the contract last night and took it to work this morning as he also wanted to ask questions eg he has over 100 hours built up in personal leave so wanted to know if he will still have these or will they be gone. He was told they would be gone. He's angry now because he has been a loyal hardworking employee since 2013 and now he's loosing all his accrued personal leave, sick leave, holiday leave (he only has a few hours built for holidays as we are just back from a home visit so used them up). He understood that with the casual contract he wouldn't get sick leave or annual leave from the date on the new contract but he wasn't expecting to loose all that he has accrued. 

The company must be in difficult situation as all other employees were moved to casual contracts a few months back (we were overseas at the time so my partner was still on permanent contract) all other employees there aren't sponsored they are Australian citizens.

My question is will this affect our citizenship applications? My partners is at the approved stage and just waiting on the ceremony mine is at the received stage?

We would hate to think we have come this close and not get the citizenship.

I checked our 187 PR paperwork and the only obligations I can see is that you must remain in the nominated position in the regional area for at least 2 years. 20th March 2019 would of been his two year mark on PR. Does this therefore mean he can now change employers but still have his PR? 

Any advise would be greatly apricated.

Thank you

1 hour ago, kirsty160990 said:

I checked our 187 PR paperwork and the only obligations I can see is that you must remain in the nominated position in the regional area for at least 2 years. 20th March 2019 would of been his two year mark on PR.

It sounds like your partner has already got the all-clear. But even so, I think this part above is key. If that's the case then you're no longer bound by the condition of the original visa anyway. I would say with 99.9% certainty based on the above that there is no issue.

I had a similar concern regarding conditions on the 186 prior to preparing my citizenship app. My legal advice stated that the specific conditions of the 186 are not 'brought across' in to the application screening for citizenship. So long as you meet the specific conditions of the citizenship (residency requirement) and you're not a risk to the country then there's no issue.

This particular source of legal advice has not failed me yet on several visa apps. Happy to share this experience with you via a DM if it'll help.

Edited by millski88
  • Like 3

Hi everyone,
I've a question - Will the below affect my partners or my citizenship applications?
Partner was granted 457 visa in October 2013 (I was de facto)
PR subclass 187 granted on 20th March 2017 (I was de facto)
Partner submitted Citizenship application April 2018, sat test September 2018 and received approval on 29th May 2019 (still waiting on ceremony)
I submitted my citizenship February 2019 (I went back to our home country in 2014 for about 6/7 months so delayed the date I could apply). My citizenship status is still received (not expecting any updates anytime soon with the current processing times)
Partner has been with the same employer from the beginning, they sponsored him on 457 and again for the 187 PR. Yesterday they handed him a causal contract (obviously was on a permanent full time contract since 2013) this causal contract came as a surprise, when he was handed it he was told it was just because work was getting a little quiet (construction industry) he signed the contract last night and took it to work this morning as he also wanted to ask questions eg he has over 100 hours built up in personal leave so wanted to know if he will still have these or will they be gone. He was told they would be gone. He's angry now because he has been a loyal hardworking employee since 2013 and now he's loosing all his accrued personal leave, sick leave, holiday leave (he only has a few hours built for holidays as we are just back from a home visit so used them up). He understood that with the casual contract he wouldn't get sick leave or annual leave from the date on the new contract but he wasn't expecting to loose all that he has accrued. 
The company must be in difficult situation as all other employees were moved to casual contracts a few months back (we were overseas at the time so my partner was still on permanent contract) all other employees there aren't sponsored they are Australian citizens.
My question is will this affect our citizenship applications? My partners is at the approved stage and just waiting on the ceremony mine is at the received stage?
We would hate to think we have come this close and not get the citizenship.
I checked our 187 PR paperwork and the only obligations I can see is that you must remain in the nominated position in the regional area for at least 2 years. 20th March 2019 would of been his two year mark on PR. Does this therefore mean he can now change employers but still have his PR? 
Any advise would be greatly apricated.
Thank you

I don’t believe employment has any impact on citizenship and he does appear to have met his obligation on the visa but I’m no expert there.

Personal Leave includes Sick Leave generally and yes, he can lose accrued personal leave. That is not his employer, there is no protection for accrued personal leave under the award.
They cannot take away his accrued Annual Leave though, they should pay it out even if it is a few hours.
He should get casual loading on top of his hourly rate on his new contract which in theory compensates for not getting sick and annual leave.
He should also be able to continue to accrue Long Service Leave and potentially even move it between employers (depending on which state you live in it can work a little differently).

Final update:

Date Applied: 28/05/2018

City/Council Area: Melbourne 

Online/Paper: Online

Date received the acknowledgement email: 28/05/2018

Date of receiving Citizenship appointment letter: 04/03/2019

Date of Citizenship Test: 17/05/2019

Date of Approval: 17/05/2019

Date of Ceremony: 25/09/2019

Joined in early 2017 while waiting for approval of PR,

went through many things, finally I graduated from this forum.

Wish everyone here all the best.

Edited by Elliot kan
  • Like 1
  • Congratulations 2