AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

6 minutes ago, LAG said:

Hi Rvee, congratulations on passing the test!

The interview and test are just part of the assessment process, not necessarily the last steps on the process. Usually after the interview case officers request a police clearance from the Australian Federal Police (they do that, you don't need to do anything). Maybe in your case they are just waiting for that. 

Hopefully the application gets approved soon! cheers.

Thanks 

much appreciated 

2 hours ago, Rvee said:

HI FRIENDS

Date of Application: August 10 2019

citizenship Test invitation date: Oct  21 2019

Test Date : 21 Feb 2020

Changed Test Date: 23 OCT 2019

Test passed but still shows in immi account RECEIVED 

anyone knows why ?

thanks

Ceremony Date: waiting

Hey Rvee. We're pretty close in dates. What city and council area are you in?

And yes as mentioned - they need to run police clearance and have a final review before approving (mine is still received too). 

I had a recent AFP check certificate hard copy with me at my interview, I offered it to the case officer but they declined it as the check has to be lodged through their system.

Edited by millski88
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, millski88 said:

Hey Rvee. We're pretty close in dates. What city and council area are you in?

And yes as mentioned - they need to run police clearance and have a final review before approving (mine is still received too). 

I had a recent AFP check certificate hard copy with me at my interview, I offered it to the case officer but they declined it as the check has to be lodged through their system.

Hi millski88

Thanks for answer 

city is Melbourne 

council : hume council

• Like 1

On 22/10/2019 at 19:23, millski88 said:
On 22/10/2019 at 00:40, Georgiegie said:

Hi everyone, 

I have a question regarding my online citizenship application. If you could help me out, I'd be much obliged. 

Which occupation should I list under "Occupation (ANZSCO)":

• my current one (I am a full-time STUDENT receiving Centrelink Ausstudy allowance) OR
  • the one that got assessed for my PR (EXTERNAL AUDITOR).  I worked for 3 years in corporate finance/accounting before deciding to change career direction and going back to uni.

Thanks heaps! 

Current one. I don't see a reason to put your previous one as there's nothing riding on you still being in the job you got PR on, especially 3 years later. You're allowed to be a full time student, aren't you?

I'll let others chime in of course!

Hi guys,

Read the above quoted question (and reply) and wanted ask another question about it to clarify:

- If I was a Software Engineer when given the PR, and  I am just traveling around in Australia (or simply doing nothing) and living on savings when I do the application, what do I need to put ? (and is it ok to be doing this (traveling around in Australia using saving or simply doing nothing and living on saving) from the application perspective? ) 

- If  If I was a Software Engineer when given the PR and now I am doing share trading as a private individual (not at any company or anything like that, then what do I need to put ? (and is it ok to be doing this - share trading as a private individual for living from the application perspective?)

Thank you

1 hour ago, Lasanga Herath said:

*****FURTHER UPDATE******

City/Council area - CITY OF CASEY
Online / Paper - ONLINE
Date of Application - 16-AUG-2019
Date of email - 21-OCT-2019

Original Test date - 03-Mar-2020

Reschedule test date - 06-Nov-2019

congratulation Dear Lasanga, how did you reschedule the test date earlier than original date? is there any option available once you receive the test date?

please address it. thanks 

4 hours ago, Sigemup said:

Hi guys,

Read the above quoted question (and reply) and wanted ask another question about it to clarify:

- If I was a Software Engineer when given the PR, and  I am just traveling around in Australia (or simply doing nothing) and living on savings when I do the application, what do I need to put ? (and is it ok to be doing this (traveling around in Australia using saving or simply doing nothing and living on saving) from the application perspective? ) 

- If  If I was a Software Engineer when given the PR and now I am doing share trading as a private individual (not at any company or anything like that, then what do I need to put ? (and is it ok to be doing this - share trading as a private individual for living from the application perspective?)

Thank you

There are no occupation requirements for citizenship, so strictly speaking you can put whatever you like. Being an extra-cautious 'no stone unturned' kind of mind myself, I would give consideration to a couple of things, but note that this is only because i value absolute peace of mind. 99% sure these things wouldn't even come up...

1. Time since you got PR

How long since you got your PR as a Software Engineer?

Even though we can be fairly confident in our PR (186) status if leaving our sponsored employer in less than two years, we can't make assumptions on how this may be considered by a case officer when progressing to citizenship.

I'm sure it would never effect your chance of being granted citizenship, but if your app goes in less than 2 years after gaining the PR and the occupation you state is far removed from that on your PR, then for extra peace of mind you could consider preparing an answer for why that is, based on a review of the wording around the '2 year employer commitment' part of your PR. Just to ensure it is less fiddly and time consuming should it ever arise.

2. Being 'above board' as a sole-trader

Put an occupation that aligns truthfully with what you do, obviously, but if the private share trader is a recent full-time occupation, have you declared this; made any necessary registrations; and are all of your Australian tax affairs 100% present, correct and up-to-date?

There's nothing to indicate a cross-check with the ATO has anything to do with the citizenship application process. For me personally again its about 'leaving no stone unturned' and ensuring everything is transparent and above board. There has been reports of some involvement between ATO and immigration for visa application processing floating around, so that'd where my extra-cautious mind goes.

These thoughts/ramblings are only to make life easier and to leave less to chance. There's every chance your application would breeze through without taking these in to account.

Edited by millski88
  • Like 1

On 24/10/2019 at 09:26, Rvee said:

HI FRIENDS

Date of Application: August 10 2019

citizenship Test invitation date: Oct  21 2019

Test Date : 21 Feb 2020

Changed Test Date: 23 OCT 2019

Test passed but still shows in immi account RECEIVED 

anyone knows why ?

thanks

Ceremony Date: waiting

It will say received until you are approved. So nothing to worry about 🙂

2 hours ago, millski88 said:

There are no occupation requirements for citizenship, so strictly speaking you can put whatever you like. Being an extra-cautious 'no stone unturned' kind of mind myself, I would give consideration to a couple of things, but note that this is only because i value absolute peace of mind. 99% sure these things wouldn't even come up...

1. Time since you got PR

Even though we can be fairly confident in our PR (186) status if leaving our sponsored employer in less than two years, we can't make assumptions on how this may be considered by a case officer when progressing to citizenship.

I'm sure it would never effect your chance of being granted citizenship, but if your app goes in less than 2 years after gaining the PR and the occupation you state is far removed from that on your PR, then for extra peace of mind you could consider preparing an answer for why that is, based on a review of the wording around the '2 year employer commitment' part of your PR. Just to ensure it is less fiddly and time consuming should it ever arise.

Put an occupation that aligns truthfully with what you do, obviously, but if the private share trader is a recent full-time occupation, have you declared this; made any necessary registrations; and are all of your Australian tax affairs 100% present, correct and up-to-date?

There's nothing to indicate a cross-check with the ATO has anything to do with the citizenship application process. For me personally again its about 'leaving no stone unturned' and ensuring everything is transparent and above board. There has been reports of some involvement between ATO and immigration for visa application processing floating around, so that'd where my extra-cautious mind goes.

These thoughts/ramblings are only to make life easier and to leave less to chance. There's every chance your application would breeze through without taking these in to account. 

Thank you millski88!

Millski88, guys, 

1. It has been about 4 years since I got this. And as of now I am a software engineer. I want to just look at various scenarios as I read the question and 
the reply to it 🙂 

2. As I understand, I am not a sole trader. I meant to ask about Stock / Share Market traders. Like investing in stock etc. as a private individual. If share trading
 is how money were to be made, I am not aware of any declaration or registrations are to be made ? Do you think there are (of course I would as a tax agent) but 
 just want to check what you meant by this ? As of now, mu income is in terms from being software person. So almost all tax deduction is from Sal. 

There are a couple of things I need to check though from tax perspective.

1. About a year ago, I had to pay medicare surcharge for the first timw about $1400. This was given when I lodged the tax return without a tax agent 
for the first time (and 2nd overall) and was not sure about how to pay it. I got busy in something and forgot about it. Then about 4 or  5 months after that
I received a letter from probe collections to pay it. I opened the box about 10 days after it was delivered and I immediately paid it and it shows zero 
balance after that. 

Is this a concern ? 

2. I did a masters degree in IT (part time) as a PR person. I am filed this years tax with agent and was informed the course fee is tax deductible. So the tax filing
    has requested a refund. Also, the prev tax return, the tax agent said can be amended and more fees can be claimed as tax deductible. I have given all
    the invoice to the tax agent. 

Is 1. claiming this tax refund and 2. filing amendment for prev tax return to claim more of the fees as tax deductible ok ? 
        Or could there be any concern in this?   

Edited by Sigemup

5 hours ago, Sigemup said:

Thank you millski88!

Millski88, guys, 

1. It has been about 4 years since I got this. And as of now I am a software engineer. I want to just look at various scenarios as I read the question and 
the reply to it 🙂 

2. As I understand, I am not a sole trader. I meant to ask about Stock / Share Market traders. Like investing in stock etc. as a private individual. If share trading
 is how money were to be made, I am not aware of any declaration or registrations are to be made ? Do you think there are (of course I would as a tax agent) but 
 just want to check what you meant by this ? As of now, mu income is in terms from being software person. So almost all tax deduction is from Sal. 

There are a couple of things I need to check though from tax perspective.

1. About a year ago, I had to pay medicare surcharge for the first timw about $1400. This was given when I lodged the tax return without a tax agent 
for the first time (and 2nd overall) and was not sure about how to pay it. I got busy in something and forgot about it. Then about 4 or  5 months after that
I received a letter from probe collections to pay it. I opened the box about 10 days after it was delivered and I immediately paid it and it shows zero 
balance after that. 

Is this a concern ? 

2. I did a masters degree in IT (part time) as a PR person. I am filed this years tax with agent and was informed the course fee is tax deductible. So the tax filing
    has requested a refund. Also, the prev tax return, the tax agent said can be amended and more fees can be claimed as tax deductible. I have given all
    the invoice to the tax agent. 

Is 1. claiming this tax refund and 2. filing amendment for prev tax return to claim more of the fees as tax deductible ok ? 
        Or could there be any concern in this?   

1. No need to worry about occupation being software developer then.

2. I don't know anything about being self employed to be honest, i was generally referring to ensuring everything with government is above board in how you are earning an income.

then:

1. Apologies, i really don't know about tax/medicare charges and their impact. The ATO would be able to tell you if you owe anything or what you need to do. So long as you're on top of your account, regardless of whether you owe anything, i can't see DOHA using it against you.

2. This has turned in to a tax conversation and i'm really not sure about this stuff i'm afraid. My guidance is to generally ensure nothing is 'untoward' with anything government related. Owing to the ATO is not a crime, but being in touch with them and on top of your accounts could only work in your favour.

OH took the test and passed today. she won't blow her own trumpet like me but she passed 100% 👏

She's now APPROVED immediately this afternoon 🙄 😂

I'm sure this has been answered a million times before, but is it likely just due to different case officers 'queues'? i.e. - OH's police checks came back quickly this afternoon and case officer was quick off the mark to check and approve, whereas mine might be sitting with a more over-loaded case officer with a pile of cases?

Anyway, good news all round!

• Congratulations 1

OH took the test and passed today. she won't blow her own trumpet like me but she passed 100% [emoji122]
She's now APPROVED immediately this afternoon [emoji849] [emoji23]
I'm sure this has been answered a million times before, but is it likely just due to different case officers 'queues'? i.e. - OH's police checks came back quickly this afternoon and case officer was quick off the mark to check and approve, whereas mine might be sitting with a more over-loaded case officer with a pile of cases?
Anyway, good news all round!

Congrats to your OH.
Same scenario as mine. I took my test in May, approved October. OH took test in July, approved same day. No idea why!
  • Like 1

On 24/10/2019 at 20:14, millski88 said:

1. Time since you got PR

Hi Millski88,

I was reading the 1300t - it appears this question related to occupation is not on it. Is it something that is there only on online application ? 

Thank you 

7 hours ago, Sigemup said:

Hi Millski88,

I was reading the 1300t - it appears this question related to occupation is not on it. Is it something that is there only on online application ? 

Thank you 

Hi Sigemup, 

There is a question in relation to your occupation in the online application form. There is a drop down list, and you're provided with a plethora of choices to pick from, you need one that most closely describes the occupation/profession/trade you're involved in (as of the date of your application). 

As far as I understand, there is no requirement to work in the same SOL occupation that was assessed and claimed as a basis for PR visa, nor there is any penalty for being unemployed, self-employed, etc. 

This is merely my personal understanding of the matter,, please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Wishing everyone a speedy processing!

Cheers

• Like 3

Interesting one today - my OH received a letter from the Australian Electoral Roll stating "It looks like you're eligible to vote but have not enrolled..."

Weirdly the letter is dated 21st October and my OH only took her test on 25th.

Must be a mistake and a coincidence. Funny timing though.

1 hour ago, millski88 said:

Interesting one today - my OH received a letter from the Australian Electoral Roll stating "It looks like you're eligible to vote but have not enrolled..."

Weirdly the letter is dated 21st October and my OH only took her test on 25th.

Must be a mistake and a coincidence. Funny timing though.

You can vote in local council elections without being a citizen, is there one in your area?

• Like 1

On 27/10/2019 at 15:43, Georgiegie said:

Hi Sigemup, 

There is a question in relation to your occupation in the online application form. There is a drop down list, and you're provided with a plethora of choices to pick from, you need one that most closely describes the occupation/profession/trade you're involved in (as of the date of your application). 

As far as I understand, there is no requirement to work in the same SOL occupation that was assessed and claimed as a basis for PR visa, nor there is any penalty for being unemployed, self-employed, etc. 

This is merely my personal understanding of the matter,, please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Wishing everyone a speedy processing!

Cheers

Thank you Georgiegie

Want to preface this with the fact that we have been *incredibly* lucky on our visa/migration journey in regards to turnaround times. I definitely did not expect this timeline or take this for granted.

But, this morning my citizenship flipped over to Approved too, after the OH's has end of last week. We're on the last straight!

image.png.9008f5f81cf11318da3be84554997f67.png

Edited by millski88
  • Like 1
  • Congratulations 3

38 minutes ago, millski88 said:

Want to preface this with the fact that we have been *incredibly* lucky on our visa/migration journey in regards to turnaround times. I definitely did not expect this timeline or take this for granted.

But, this morning my citizenship flipped over to Approved too, after the OH's has end of last week. We're on the last straight!

image.png.9008f5f81cf11318da3be84554997f67.png

Congratulations 

Just updating my timeline - got my citizenship ceremony booked in today 🙂. Almost there!! 

Came to Australia in 2015 on a 457 Visa and then gained permanent residency (189) in 2016. 

Date applied - 14/06/2019

City/Council area - Whyalla, South Australia

Online / Paper - Online

Date received the acknowledgement email - 14/06/2019

Email received 16/07/2019 with date for citizenship test 

Date of the Citizenship Test - 28/08/2019 

Date of approval on immi site   - 09/10/2019

Date of ceremony - 12/11/2019

Type of ceremony - Private 

Edited by shaundennis
Spelling correction
  • Congratulations 1

2 hours ago, millski88 said:

Congratulations - its a great feeling 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, millski88 said:

Congratulations!

I think you are from Moreland right? anyway, there is a very active whirlpool forum and they've just created a list of people waiting for ceremony by council

Moreland Council

Mikhel Approval:22 August 2019 Ceremony waiting
Mikhel's partner Approval:28 August 2019 Ceremony waiting
kokodajs Approved Sept10th, ceremony waiting

Link to the list https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/ceremony_backlog and the thread in case you want to have a look https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/9w0vkxm3?p=1207

Cheers, the wait is almost over!

• Like 1