AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

26 minutes ago, hb31 said:

Hi kirsty160990

Thats more than the timeframe officer told me today. He said about 6 months to ceremony. Could you call and ask?

Hi hb31 

yes interviewer told my partner approval can take 6 months from test. Haven’t called though as online their processing times for conferral to decision is 17-21 months so if called they will probably just say it’s still well within that timeframe 😔

0D49A3C2-B236-4435-A8F6-9C159913AE64.png

Hi everyone, I had my test today. 

Applied online: 15/03/2018

mail received test: 14/02/2019

test date: 26/02/2019

i had 10 days not include the day received  mail and test day to read that book. Finally I passed 100% today. But the status is still received. 

He said have to wait 6 months. 

On 25/02/2019 at 19:13, hb31 said:

Passed my test today in WA.

Lodged : 30/03/2018
Test : 25/02/2019 (Originally 02/04/2019 - I rescheduled)

Has anyone who brought their test date forward got approval on same day? It seems some people are stuck on received forever post their test.

I did my test on 12 Feb 2019. (Original Year day 5 April 2019 but I rescheduled)

Council: City of Canning, WA

I have asked a few people who did the test in WA in 2019, they either got approval on the same date or still waiting for approval. I will keep you updated once I got the approval.

Cheers:)

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I applied for citizenship back in June 2018 (Adelaide) and I received my appointment date today for 27th March. 

There's one small problem. I'm moving to Tasmania on the 5th of March!  I could in theory fly back to Adelaide for the test but it would be expensive and inconvenient. Does anyone know if immigration can help me to reschedule the location? Should I just call the main contact number? 

If anyone has any experience with this, I'd appreciate you sharing your thoughts!

Thanks,
Vish.

4 minutes ago, swordvish said:

Hi everyone,

I applied for citizenship back in June 2018 (Adelaide) and I received my appointment date today for 27th March. 

There's one small problem. I'm moving to Tasmania on the 5th of March!  I could in theory fly back to Adelaide for the test but it would be expensive and inconvenient. Does anyone know if immigration can help me to reschedule the location? Should I just call the main contact number? 

If anyone has any experience with this, I'd appreciate you sharing your thoughts!

Thanks,
Vish.

on the email you will find the reschedule link. everything DIY, you can even change it to the next day as soon as they have available time slot.

I received my email they arranged my interview in a month time and i changed it to within just 2 days. no point wasting extra one month for nothing. good luck to you.

Edited by jimmy2621

11 minutes ago, jimmy2621 said:

on the email you will find the reschedule link. everything DIY, you can even change it to the next day as soon as they have available time slot.

I received my email they arranged my interview in a month time and i changed it to within just 2 days. no point wasting extra one month for nothing. good luck to you.

There's no option to change location online

r u so not ready for a test before you move?

I think your application is tied to the local council you chose, so as soon as you move you will need to inform immi and change the processing centre, interview as well the ceremony being held.

why dont you just call the department asap? you probably get the most accurate answer from them.

5 minutes ago, jimmy2621 said:

r u so not ready for a test before you move?

I think your application is tied to the local council you chose, so as soon as you move you will need to inform immi and change the processing centre, interview as well the ceremony being held.

why dont you just call the department asap? you probably get the most accurate answer from them.

There is no test date available online before I move. 

Yes I will call the Immigration number but I'm still keen for anyone to comment if they have any experience of this situation. 

Thanks anyway Jimmy

14 hours ago, swordvish said:

There is no test date available online before I move. 

Yes I will call the Immigration number but I'm still keen for anyone to comment if they have any experience of this situation. 

Thanks anyway Jimmy

I wanted to change test location (just within Sydney as we moved to a different suburb since submitting application) and the guy on the phone said that they can only change test locations if someone moved to a different state, not within the same state. So definitely call the help line and they should be able to swap it for you.

Filling out my citizenship application (taking forever to enter in amount of travel since I was 18!!)

Random question. It asks do you give permission for anyone else to ask about the application on your behalf. My wife and I want to be able to ask about each others if needed so ticking yes.

It says 'describe your relationship'

Options that seem correct are:

"Spouse/Interdependent partner" or "Spouse/De Facto partner"

Clearly I am my wifes spouse and she is mine. What is the difference between the two options above though? There isn't an option that just says husband/wife.

I'm sure it's irrelevant which one I pick for this answer but I'm genuinely curious which one would be correct and why?

3 hours ago, Animesh said:

Hi again, just checking if there is anyone here who has withdrawn their citizenship application after giving the test, are they allowed to go back on permanent residency?? 

Not sure why you would want to withdraw the application but you are not a citizen until you attend a ceremony. Until then your PR remains in force it isn’t cancelled until you become a citizen at conferral. So if you withdraw it won’t affect your PR. 

59 minutes ago, imthedave said:

Filling out my citizenship application (taking forever to enter in amount of travel since I was 18!!)

Random question. It asks do you give permission for anyone else to ask about the application on your behalf. My wife and I want to be able to ask about each others if needed so ticking yes.

It says 'describe your relationship'

Options that seem correct are:

"Spouse/Interdependent partner" or "Spouse/De Facto partner"

Clearly I am my wifes spouse and she is mine. What is the difference between the two options above though? There isn't an option that just says husband/wife.

I'm sure it's irrelevant which one I pick for this answer but I'm genuinely curious which one would be correct and why?

The paper version says you only need to do the last 10 years. I found this out after I had completed over 30 years of travel

8 minutes ago, welljock said:

The paper version says you only need to do the last 10 years. I found this out after I had completed over 30 years of travel

Are you serious?!?!

It took me 2 days to complete my wifes travel (around 200 lines) and I'm already 2 days into mine but only up to 2002!

I'm going to phone them and ask

21 minutes ago, imthedave said:

Are you serious?!?!

It took me 2 days to complete my wifes travel (around 200 lines) and I'm already 2 days into mine but only up to 2002!

I'm going to phone them and ask

I just called them. They said they only consider the last 10 years and only countries where you spent more than 90 days continuous.

Unbelievable!!! It's not clear at all on the application.

2 minutes ago, imthedave said:

I just called them. They said they only consider the last 10 years and only countries where you spent more than 90 days continuous.

I don't think the second part is correct, I think they are mixing up the countries you would need to supply a police certificate for. 

If you don't give any holidays they wouldn't be able to work out if you qualified by spending less than 1 year out of the country and less than 90 days in the last year

7 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Not sure why you would want to withdraw the application but you are not a citizen until you attend a ceremony. Until then your PR remains in force it isn’t cancelled until you become a citizen at conferral. So if you withdraw it won’t affect your PR. 

Thanks rammygirl, so I do a lot of volunteering work around Nepal and in the last year or so, I have had a lot of commitments over there which require me to be there, and leaving them and running back for citizenship approval is becoming a big hindrance for me, generally the approval comes through right after the test which didn't happen in my case and they asked me to get back within 1 month of me being away which is not what I need right now...and then they have asked for PCC for the time i was away, and I wasn't away for 90days continously in any of the countries, so yea it's just a bit of being back n forth and them not giving a time frame which I feel is not worth it... So just hoping to keep my PR and think about citizenship when I'm a bit more settled, as I can't be wasting my time n efforts just waiting around... 

Hopefully they can give me some concrete answers soon as I need to head back in a month or so again 🙂

22 hours ago, imthedave said:

Hmm not sure if that's correct, I had to mention every single country I went to even though it wasn't for 90 days, in the last 10 years... So pls make it sure that ur on the same page, coz then it might delay ur application... 

Hi All

Wondering if anyone has applied for citizenship through Perth office or knows of current timelines etc?

I applied for my citizenship in January 2018, still haven't heard anything re test date etc, on the immi website it just says application is received, not even been looked at yet.

14 hours ago, Vickit89 said:

Hi All

Wondering if anyone has applied for citizenship through Perth office or knows of current timelines etc?

I applied for my citizenship in January 2018, still haven't heard anything re test date etc, on the immi website it just says application is received, not even been looked at yet.

Thanks 🙂

Hi Vickit89,

A friend from Perth applied in Jan/Feb 2018, received the invitation for the test in Dec 18. Had the test in Feb 2019 and received the approval a week or so later. No date  on the ceremony yet though. Application done online.

Hope this helps. 

On 28/02/2019 at 10:57, jay9320 said:

Date Applied: 22/12/17 Online

Council: Gold Coast 

Date of Test: 09/01/19  Passed 100%

Anyone else in Gold Coast council with similar timings? Going travelling for a while early April 😬

Attach a letter stating your travel plans in your IMMI account online, that's the only thing you can do apparently... I cleared my test on 30.11.18, still waiting for approval, although I have been in n out of the country a lot... And I need to leave again in April, this is Sydney office though... I'm pretty close to withdrawing my application as well as its getting a bit too much for me and not sure if it's worth all that.. 

On 19/02/2019 at 15:26, kirsty160990 said:

Hi littlefoot, does your application tell you that you need to submit UK police check?

I'm due to submit my application soon and didn't know i would need to have a police check from the uk. I have been on PR since March 2017 and have only been out of Australia twice for 5 weeks each trip.

I have been following this forum for my partner - he submitted his citizenship April 2018 with application still waiting to be approved. He completed his test on 03/09/2018.

If I remember correctly your UK police check is only valid for a certain amount of time. This plus the fact that it never asked for one to be submitted when I completed my online application means I didn't submit one! If they as for further documentation then I'll get on when it's requested so it's current. I only applied in August '18 so will be waiting a while longer before I hear anything from them. I've had to get a Returning Resident Visa (RRV) to permit ongoing overseas travel whilst my application is in situ.

On 19/02/2019 at 15:13, littlefoot said:

Hi all - quick question. I've recently become eligible to apply for citizenship and noticed I needed police checks from the UK. Do I have to attach them before I submit the application? Or can I attach them at a later date?

If I remember correctly your UK police check is only valid for a certain amount of time. This plus the fact that it never asked for one to be submitted when I completed my online application means I didn't submit one! If they as for further documentation then I'll get on when it's requested so it's current. I only applied in August '18 so will be waiting a while longer before I hear anything from them. I've had to get a Returning Resident Visa (RRV) to permit ongoing overseas travel whilst my application is in situ.