Going back to the UK - Property Prices

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

I can’t believe the price of property now in the UK for what you get, and I’m talking up North prices not down South.

I just looked in the village I grew up as a child I could only afford a 1 bed. Where we then lived in the Yorkshire Dales we could again only afford a 1 bed flat. 

If I crossed the border in to Lancashire (god forbid) I’d maybe get a 2 up/2 down at the wrong side of town.

‘How do you all manage downsizing when you go back. I just couldn’t live in a flat or terrace house with neighbours. 

Where could you get a lovely detached property for under £200k and that’s if you get a mortgage which most people returning won’t be able to get. 

9 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

I can’t believe the price of property now in the UK for what you get, and I’m talking up North prices not down South.

I just looked in the village I grew up as a child I could only afford a 1 bed. Where we then lived in the Yorkshire Dales we could again only afford a 1 bed flat. 

If I crossed the border in to Lancashire (god forbid) I’d maybe get a 2 up/2 down at the wrong side of town.

‘How do you all manage downsizing when you go back. I just couldn’t live in a flat or terrace house with neighbours. 

Where could you get a lovely detached property for under £200k and that’s if you get a mortgage which most people returning won’t be able to get. 

You shouldn't assume everyone returns to a little flat of terraced house, reading posts from lots of returnees that doesn't seem to be the case. 

My son lives in Salisbury. He bought his 3 up council house when he left the army (the council rented it to the Army. The family has outgrown it. He ain't short a few bob but after years of owning his own home, he has sold it and is renting until such time as he can find what he wants. He wants a doer upper because he says the new houses are like match boxes and a 3 bed average 350000 quid..............it isn't the price so much as the size.

Even older houses although bigger the mortgage retentions on them are silly. He viewed one that had been re-wired 3 yrs ago and they still put a re-wiring retention on it. He'd rather move out to the sticks than buy what Barrats are throwing up. Their houses look wonderful online and in brochures but they're shot with a wide angle lens that adds depth to the rooms. Their plans don't even show dimensions of the rooms and the priority seems to be to just get you to view and then the hard sell whilst you're there. "You couldn't swing a cat in the bedrooms" was his opinion.

We are thinking of buying the house we currently rent in Sandford. Picture postcard village and think it will be valued at about £115k. I would get a fibro (made of asbestos) shack in a crap area for the same money in Perth. 

My dads house was valued last year - fairly middle class area - three bed with massive garden, new bathroom, new double glazing, new central heating, could do with a new kitchen but nothing desperate. £95 -- 100k. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

We are thinking of buying the house we currently rent in Sandford. Picture postcard village and think it will be valued at about £115k. I would get a fibro (made of asbestos) shack in a crap area for the same money in Perth. 

My dads house was valued last year - fairly middle class area - three bed with massive garden, new bathroom, new double glazing, new central heating, could do with a new kitchen but nothing desperate. £95 -- 100k. 

£115k in Sandford?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?searchType=SALE&locationIdentifier=REGION^21452&insId=1&radius=0.0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&minBedrooms=&maxBedrooms=&displayPropertyType=&maxDaysSinceAdded=&_includeSSTC=on&sortByPriceDescending=&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondaryDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldPrimaryDisplayPropertyType=&newHome=&auction=false

Or is this a different Sandford?

4 hours ago, bristolman said:

We didn't downsize, far from it, we have the same size garden and a bigger house. There are many areas in the UK where housing is still affordable, nice areas. 

I thought you were living in Cornubia mate.  Not too many small houses in Cornubia so quite surprised that you bought a bigger house in England for less money.  You did well there.

Too many houses here are too big really but in the UK room sizes are generally too small.  It’s finding that happy medium.........

Just now, Gbye grey sky said:

I thought you were living in Cornubia mate.  Not too many small houses in Cornubia so quite surprised that you bought a bigger house in England for less money.  You did well there.

Too many houses here are too big really but in the UK room sizes are generally too small.  It’s finding that happy medium.........

No, not Cornubia and i didnt say the house was small only that our current house is bigger. Yes we did very well, thank you. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I agree, my MIL is trying to get a 2/3 bed bungalow iin wilts, nr Melksham and she is in the 325k-450k dependent on size of garden and age of property. 

6 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I am hoping to return middle of this year so I’ll let you know! It is a bit of a concern but it will only be me in the UK house where as there are 3 adults in the Australian house, so different needs. Agree with @Gbye grey sky in that houses here are often bigger than is necessary, ours really is but we wanted the independent living option.

When I spoke with the Halifax over there they will offer a mortgage with just a job offer letter so I have hope! I think @VERYSTORMY was offered a mortgage with them when he returned and had just stepped off the plane with an offer of employment.

It’s more the proximity to others that concerns me, narrow roads etc. I want everything, affordable housing with no near neighbours but close to work and amenities! Not going to happen on my budget but I’ll give it my best shot. ?

Most people who are returning from Melbourne or Sydney and owned property here should do very well if returning to the UK.

Selling a home in Australia for well over $1M or $1.5M will get you a nice home in the UK.

If you lived rural in Australia you may find it tough going as you may not have experienced much property growth here and then trying to buy back into a higher market in the UK.

Buying rural property is a double edged sword. It is affordable but can lock you in permanently to cheap properties and you miss out on growing your wealth.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

But where could you get a nice detached property in Australia for under $350,000?  None of the cities, I don't think.   House prices go up everywhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

But where could you get a nice detached property in Australia for under $350,000?  None of the cities, I don't think.   House prices go up everywhere.

None of the cities that's for sure.  Possible in Tassie in a decent town.  This is one in St Helens on the east coast for $235,000.

house.jpg

3 hours ago, Toots said:

None of the cities that's for sure.  Possible in Tassie in a decent town.

Yes, quite a few very liveable houses  under $350K on the northwest coast.  Employment is the problem there, of course.  Not a problem  for retired people.

• Like 1

To balance out the debate....we live on the Gold Coast and built our house 2 years ago...today the house is worth $750k (£425K) 

I could buy a very nice house back home (Suffolk) for that 425k.....definitely with a bigger garden than we have here in QLD, and it would be less over looked too, House size would be about the same...certainly no smaller.

• Like 2

To balance out the debate....we live on the Gold Coast and built our house 2 years ago...today the house is worth $750k (£425K) 
I could buy a very nice house back home (Suffolk) for that 425k.....definitely with a bigger garden than we have here in QLD, and it would be less over looked too, House size would be about the same...certainly no smaller.

That’s fine to make that comparison, but only if your mortgage repayments (as a percentage of your income) was the same in Suffolk as it is on the Gold Coast (unless you own it outright of course!).

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
17 hours ago, bristolman said:

You shouldn't assume everyone returns to a little flat of terraced house, reading posts from lots of returnees that doesn't seem to be the case. 

And you shouldn’t assume that I assume everyone lives in a flat or terrace, don’t put words in my mouth. What I did say is how do people manage downsizing. We had a lovely acreage property in the UK before we left but it was tiny, in fact I don’t think the majority of UK houses will be larger than here in Australia. 

Guest The Pom Queen
13 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

But where are these Chris, that’s what I’m wanting to know. Are the houses as large as the one you had in Perth?

Guest The Pom Queen
12 hours ago, bristolman said:

Or 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/Sandford-21448.html

Houses in our village range from undeŕ 100k up to close to a million. The one you quoted is Somerset, Verystormy is in Scotland

Please can you show me one for under £100k down South, I didn’t start this thread to slate the UK I’m just shocked at how much even a 2 Up 2 Down in a crappy area up North is so high.