Going back to the UK - Property Prices

Guest The Pom Queen

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 07:21, The Pom Queen said:

But where are these Chris, that’s what I’m wanting to know. Are the houses as large as the one you had in Perth?

We are looking to buy in our village in Scotland. No, its not as big as we built in Perth, but £115k is a very different price to $430k which is what we sold it for. With hindsight, what we built in Perth was idiocy. We are a couple with no kids. We don't need a massive house - I think we used the home cinema once! My wife who does most of the cleaning far prefers something more sensible.

My dads place is on the outskirts of Middlesbrough

• Like 2

On 12/03/2018 at 21:03, calNgary said:

We looked at property elsewhere in the UK before we moved here, so i am going back a few years. We found the nicest best value for money properties unfortunately didnt have appropiate work available. There are some lovely little villages with nice cottages but miles away from any work.

We lived in a standard 3 bed semi at the time, the 3rd bedroom was just big enough to fit a single bed and nothing else furniture wise really  but the garden was pretty darn big in comparison to most semi's (approx 25 mtrs long) and we had a good size single garage and driveway, i just had a quick look on Right move and they seem to be up for sale for around 170 to 190K which is 30 to 40 thousand GBP more than they were when we sold 11 years ago. 

Cal x

We were similar.  Pebble dash 1930s 3 bed semi with extension on back and garage converted into an office.  Garden was 90ft long, shared drive, hard standing on front to park the car.

But we got £423,000 for it in 2015.  Had bought it 10 years earlier for £250,000 but had spent a fair amount over the years improving the interior particularly.  Made a good profit though.  Amazingly we had it valued early in 2014 before our recce at £325,000 but prices then went mad.  The exchange rate leapt from 1.6 to 2.1 in that time too so we went from a top budget of $500,000 on our recce to $700,000 (but bought for less than that) with $180,000 change.

Not one of the better parts of Surrey, believe it or not, or it would have been worth at least £50,000 more.

In our case it helped us buy a much better property than we had envisaged owning just a year earlier.  But it is too big for us in all honesty.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, horsemad1976 said:

We currently live in Wiltshire looking to head over to Aus within the next 18 months. In terms of getting a UK mortgage it is much harder than it was say, 20 years ago. You will almost certainly need a deposit, an income ( at least 3-6 months), UK bank account (not sure if you still have one). Our current UK mortgage took about 8 weeks to process - we used a independent mortgage broke who was fantastic! There are various 'Help to Buy' schemes available here at the moment but limited to New Build homes. 

What area are you looking to re-settle in?

We will be heading to Salisbury initially to stay with family, however will be aiming to head to Somerset and work in Bristol, but we are happy to go where the work is. May end up staying in Salisbury or may end up towards Bmouth or Soton. 

We still have our UK bank accounts and will have a deposit from the sale of our house here in SA, it's obviously just the income we will need. If we need to wait 3-6 months then we can look at renting initially, however that probably isn't as easy as it used to be either.

The house buying process is incredibly slow in the UK compared to here so we know we will be in with a wait anyway. 

• Like 2

We moved moved from SA to the UK in August last year were flexible with regards to where we would buy a house.  We ended up buying on the outskirts of Yeovil on the Dorset/Somerset border and moved into our house in October.  We have the choice of Sherborne (has a Waitrose and Sainsburys) and Yeovil offers (Tesco, Asda and Morrison’s) and 2 Lidl for food shopping as opposed to just Coles, Woolworths, Foodland and Aldi  in SA. We can get to the beach within about 30 minutes, Dorchester is about 20-25 minutes.  So this area ticks the boxes for us but it wasn’t on the radar when we left Australia. Hospital, GP and dentists good.  We found house prices here reasonable compared to other areas we looked at in Wilts/Dorset/Devon.  

We love the area and are Happy to be back?

Good luck with your plans.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2018 at 19:13, VERYSTORMY said:

We are looking to buy in our village in Scotland. No, its not as big as we built in Perth, but £115k is a very different price to $430k which is what we sold it for. With hindsight, what we built in Perth was idiocy. We are a couple with no kids. We don't need a massive house - I think we used the home cinema once! My wife who does most of the cleaning far prefers something more sensible.

My dads place is on the outskirts of Middlesbrough

That explains why it is so cheap Middlesbrough is one of the most  undesirable places to live in the UK.

Edited by Sandgroper

The area of Scotland where I grew up used to be a quiet, sleepy place.  Over the last 30 years it has become a desirable place to retire to - especially for cashed up southerners.  Now property is really expensive there especially for the young locals wanting to buy their own property.  Of course there are still cheaper properties available but they are cheap for a reason.

:ph34r: Give it a rest all of you that are starting on each other. Lets not have another thread go off topic into bickering, digs and point scoring. 

snifter