Help relationship break up

Hi im currently waiting for my PR to arrive and wonder where i stand because im thinking of leaving my husand long story short hes not bringing nothing to our marriage and i feel i cant stay much longer. I would just go back to England but whats the process just any advice would be great 

If you don’t have kids then there is nothing stopping you from just packing your bags and heading home. If you’re a family with kids then you’re in a much more tricky situation as your OH can stop you from removing the kids from Australia if he so much as says “no they can’t go” then the Family Court will not allow them to leave with you. If you are on a temporary visa then you are obliged to notify DOHA of your break up and your visa status could be at risk - you’d be wise to consult a registered agent about your options there.

Pretty much what the others have said. If kids are involved its a whole other ball game. That could get really messy and needs handling properly. 

If no kids and you are on a temp partner visa at present and the relationship ends you need to inform immigration and chances are your visa will be cancelled. The PR stage would not happen then. You'd leave Aus obviously. 

If you are still together and PR is granted and your relationship ended after the grant, I think you get to keep the PR status. However, you are still having to observe the visa requirements and travel conditions etc as the travel portion will run out in X amount of years etc. 

If there are no kids involved and you truly don't want to be in Australia and are really unhappy in your relationship or feel its over, then why sit and wait for the PR? If its to keep your options open for the future then thats a bit crap on your husband. You could leave him and Australia right now, notify immigration the relationship has ended and you'd lose the $7,000 obviously and your temp partner visa would be cancelled. There is nothing really stopping you from leaving apart from yourself and whatever your reasons are to remain (which only you know and can decide). 

I've just looked back over your posts, you seem to have been unhappy for a while. Homesickness can be tough going. Is your husband aware of this? Have you sought counselling or anything in your own or as a couple? If your relationship is really over in your mind then perhaps have a conversation with him to let him know how you feel and what you want to do. 

FWIW you are not yet a year into the waiting stage of the PR part. It could be a few more months, it could be another 6. Its really hard to know the processing times for the onshore PR stage these days. 

11 hours ago, Schutzy11 said:

Hi im currently waiting for my PR to arrive and wonder where i stand because im thinking of leaving my husand long story short hes not bringing nothing to our marriage and i feel i cant stay much longer. I would just go back to England but whats the process just any advice would be great 

Reading your past posts, I would strongly advise you not to leave your husband right now.   You're very homesick and that probably means you're depressed.  You may not be aware of it, but it's very unlikely that you're thinking straight. 

What if you leave now, go back to the UK, and then realise it was the country you hated, not your husband, and you'd like to get back together?   You'll have thrown it all away.  

If you can, I'd advise trying to hold out until you get your PR.   Go and get some counselling to help you through the waiting - you need a sympathetic shoulder to cry on, and if you don't have a friend who can do that for you, then a counsellor is a good alternative.   You could give Lifeline a ring as a starting point.  

• Like 2

Sounds like a good step forward. Hopefully whatever is going wrong in your marriage is something that can be resolved and worked out given some time and support. Also if you are struggling with your mental health and wellbeing I think addressing that is a very important step. 

Have you had a holiday back to the UK at all? Your mum was out last year wasn't she? I think that if you are struggling with depression then I do tend to agree that you may not be thinking clearly nor able to be more rational about things and perhaps cope with them better. If we are feeling down, depressed, its very easy to focus on the negatives and stop even looking for positives in things. To the point that the person you love, your partner is the one being blamed and you begin to resent even. And things like homesickness can become even more magnified with a person putting so much on to their desire to return.

Some counselling sessions seem a very good idea. Maybe if you both try to set a few goals in making you feel more at home here, that could be joining a new club that is a new activity to both of you. This then gives you level playing ground for both of you to learn the new activities together.

Be very careful not to report any separation to the immigration department until you are certain the relationship is over, I would say a 3 month cool off period.

Best of luck. 

• 1 month later...

Oh my goodness...I wish someone had given me this advice 18months ago ? please don’t rush into anything. Take you one and think it through in Australia.

I met my partner in 2009 in Aus, married in 2014 and applied for defacto visa I was granted the temporary residency and was 6 months off my PR. We moved to rural NSW and this is where is all went wrong. I became very depressed, lonely, homesick and started having panic attack. I packed my bags and left Aus.

Worst decision ever. I never gave me  and my husband a chance and made a completely rash decision, that was completely wrong! My visa was cancelled and now I am stuck in England feel worse than I did there!

We are still in contact and neither of us want to get a divorce as I have this feeling we are meant to be together, and I get the feeling he does too. I am actually going to Aus for a 2 week holiday on 27th April and we are obviously going to meet up, and it may just rekindles things ??

Long story short - we do we stand..? If we do want to make a go of it again I know we will have to apply for a spousal visa again but we obviously wiudknt have the evidence of the continuing relationship for 2 yrs, but then again we are still married. 

Any advice would be much appreciate, as I am at a loss what to do. I am looking as state sponsorship as I am an Enrolled Nurse (trained in Aus) but the timeframe on that just seems too long. ?

Thank you x

p.s I hope you have managed to get yourself in a better frame if mind. Glad to hear you are trying counselling. I truly hope everything works out for you, whichever way that may go x

On 09/02/2018 at 11:26, Schutzy11 said:

3 hours ago, Harriet.Frances said:

Oh my goodness...I wish someone had given me this advice 18months ago ? please don’t rush into anything. Take you one and think it through in Australia.

I met my partner in 2009 in Aus, married in 2014 and applied for defacto visa I was granted the temporary residency and was 6 months off my PR. We moved to rural NSW and this is where is all went wrong. I became very depressed, lonely, homesick and started having panic attack. I packed my bags and left Aus.

Worst decision ever. I never gave me  and my husband a chance and made a completely rash decision, that was completely wrong! My visa was cancelled and now I am stuck in England feel worse than I did there!

We are still in contact and neither of us want to get a divorce as I have this feeling we are meant to be together, and I get the feeling he does too. I am actually going to Aus for a 2 week holiday on 27th April and we are obviously going to meet up, and it may just rekindles things ??

Long story short - we do we stand..? If we do want to make a go of it again I know we will have to apply for a spousal visa again but we obviously wiudknt have the evidence of the continuing relationship for 2 yrs, but then again we are still married. 

Any advice would be much appreciate, as I am at a loss what to do. I am looking as state sponsorship as I am an Enrolled Nurse (trained in Aus) but the timeframe on that just seems too long. ?

Thank you x

I am really not sure what your options are tbh. If you have the holiday and talk things over with your husband and decide you want to give it another go, then you are probably best to discuss your case with a reputable migration agent to see how best to proceed. It could be with a cancelled visa and applying for a new one its not too much of an issue but you've been separated so its possible this could present problems. Having an agent to handle your case could potentially save a lot of heartache and stress.

Any of those who post regularly on here would be a good starting point. 

@Raul Senise @wrussell @Alan Collett @Richard Gregan

FWIW, if you both do decide to give your marriage another go I'd ensure you discuss counselling and make sure its something you are both open to should you return and things get tough again. And perhaps look at the area you were living and not return there but go somewhere that works for you BOTH. And also, if you've had any issues in the UK or sought help for any depression or mental health issues, hopefully you've been able to get back on a more even keel and are looking at things in an objective way. If not, suggest seeing a good GP to see if there is anything that can help. I doubt the problems or feelings you have or have had are going to go away without some input. 

If you had been properly advised, you might have withdrawn your application, which would not have been good, but would have been better than having a visa cancellation on your record.

In the circumstaances you described, you should be able sucessfully to reapply, others have.

Thank you for your comments, however I believe I may have been too hasty in my thoughts as last night his fb status change to ‘in a relationship’ with another person so that was a kick but in the guts ?

Looks like his thinking and mine were not on the same wave length. But thank you for all the advice...

8 hours ago, wrussell said:

If you had been properly advised, you might have withdrawn your application, which would not have been good, but would have been better than having a visa cancellation on your record.

In the circumstaances you described, you should be able sucessfully to reapply, others have.

Yes I did withdraw the application as I informed immi the relationship had broken down...so hopefully this was the correct way and won’t hinder any other visas I may apply for.

9 hours ago, snifter said:

I am really not sure what your options are tbh. If you have the holiday and talk things over with your husband and decide you want to give it another go, then you are probably best to discuss your case with a reputable migration agent to see how best to proceed. It could be with a cancelled visa and applying for a new one its not too much of an issue but you've been separated so its possible this could present problems. Having an agent to handle your case could potentially save a lot of heartache and stress.

Any of those who post regularly on here would be a good starting point. 

@Raul Senise @wrussell @Alan Collett @Richard Gregan

FWIW, if you both do decide to give your marriage another go I'd ensure you discuss counselling and make sure its something you are both open to should you return and things get tough again. And perhaps look at the area you were living and not return there but go somewhere that works for you BOTH. And also, if you've had any issues in the UK or sought help for any depression or mental health issues, hopefully you've been able to get back on a more even keel and are looking at things in an objective way. If not, suggest seeing a good GP to see if there is anything that can help. I doubt the problems or feelings you have or have had are going to go away without some input. 

Thank you for the advice. I was seeing a gp in Aus and over here and I am on the medication required to keep me in a happy(ish) place ? 

21 minutes ago, Harriet.Frances said:

Thank you for your comments, however I believe I may have been too hasty in my thoughts as last night his fb status change to ‘in a relationship’ with another person so that was a kick but in the guts ?

Looks like his thinking and mine were not on the same wave length. But thank you for all the advice...

Sorry to hear that there won't be a reconciliation.

49 minutes ago, Harriet.Frances said:

Yes I did withdraw the application as I informed immi the relationship had broken down...so hopefully this was the correct way and won’t hinder any other visas I may apply for.

If you are planning to meet up when you go to Aus on holiday, just go with an open mind and no expectations. He could be thinking to talk about the relationship being over, maybe making the separation official and preferring to do so in person, but also you could find you both want to reconcile. Or something else. 

If you find you want to be in Aus again and you don’t reconcile then I hope you have a visa path open to you :)