Emirates/ dubai airport

jkm10

Hi, I'm flying back to UK (Manchester) in September. I'm looking at going with Emirates as they have the best flight times. On the return journey i'm looking at booking i would have 1hour 40minutes layover in Dubai, realistically is this enough time to transfer from one plane to the other? I don't want a long layover but also don't want to be running to catch a flight. 

Also, I wanted to treat myself to Business class but just do it on the long journeys (aus-dubai, Dubai-aus), however, whenever i try doing this online it says it's not possible to travel in mix classes. Does anyone know a way around this? I looked at booking separately e.g. the aus-dubai route in business and Dubai - uk route in economy but it worked out too expensive. 

thanks jess :)

Hi, yes 1hr 40 minutes is doable. We have flights booked to Europe with Qatar in August and the transit time in Doha is 1hr 30mins. I believe when you search for flights they will only be displayed if there is adequate transit time between the two.

You will be better to contact a travel agent to see if it's possible to book a mixed class fare or you might be able to find them through the Skyscanner website. 

If the airline is offering the connection as part of an ongoing itinerary then you should be fine. Dubai generally churns through security quite quickly when you get off the plane to transit. I generally get through flights and the turn around is about that length and it’s enough to walk the length of the terminal and back before reboarding. 

Re the airport. Good luck with that turnaround. It can be done as I've done it but if a flight is delayed or you get lost on the way in the airport, you are cutting it very fine. 

Dubai is a massive hub airport. Huge. I hate flying through it and the only reason I do so is because the last few of times its been a cheaper route by a fair bit. However, I loathe and detest the airport and transiting through it. But, I know the flight numbers and the gates and so can zoom around as I need to now. 

I have caught a connecting flight in that time, however I know the airport and where I was and needed to go. First time obviously I didn't and was thankful I had a 2 hour window in which to work it all out. Plus my gate wasn't announced till later. 

In more recent trips we thankfully didn't arrive at the very end of the terminal and have a 15 minute walk to the security check (no train or anything running when we landed, everyone had to walk the entire way after a 14 hour flight). Then it was a 10 minute wait at security as people had to take shoes off also. Plus dump any and all bottles of liquid etc And have bags etc scanned. Then its a hop up the escalator into the massive terminal area and a squizz at the nearest board to see if your flight is showing up yet. If it is, get going, if it isn't, take a few to get your bearings.

Our connecting flight is another walk, 5 minutes or so through a very busy duty free area/thoroughfare (I find the giant maps at the information useful as if you scan your ticket, it lights up your route to the departure area you need). Then for us its a lift down to the train station, then on a train for a few minutes, then a short walk to either the giant lifts or the giant escalator up the GIANT INDOOR WATERFALL to the terminal xD. Then its another walk to the departure gate. Then its a sit and wait to be allowed to go into the boarding area. Once there you go through ANOTHER security check (I always, always stress about this one, especially if I am with my child) as they check lots of people and hand luggage. Swabs of clothes, person and shoes can be done. Seems almost every other person gets checked. Then its sit and wait to board. 

In short, its fine if you are on time and don't get held up or hang around. Once you get to the gate, thats when you can sit and catch your breath and stuff. However, nothing will change my mind on my dislike of airport and the general unfriendliness of the employees within it. Give me Singapore Changi or HK any day of the week. Next time we'll be going via one of those for sure.  

1h40m connection time is absolutely normal and fine. Emirates and Dubai Airport have a 'MCT - Minimum Connection Time' of 60 minutes and this realistic and reasonable considering that misconnecting passengers is an undesirable and costly situation for the airline. It is in their interest that passengers make a connection. 

In a worst case scenario where you do miss a connection (i.e. due to a late inbound flight) you will be rebooked on of the other 3 Sydney flights for the day and provided meal vouchers and/or hotel accomodation and possibly be entitled to compensation.

As for mixed class bookings, you can call the Emirates call centre to see if they can do it over the phone although its probably unlikely to be much cheaper than a sale Business Special or Saver fare you might find online. 

• Like 3

An hour 40 is fine.  My last trip arrived 5 mins early into Dubai and I had time for a coffee and massage at the parlour opposite my next gate before the flight.

Just get off and get to your next gate, then you can establish how much time you have to wander.  A brisk walk not using the moving walkways and escalators is a good idea after a long flight anyway.  Easy on your own but not so easy with toddlers I know.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rammygirl said:

An hour 40 is fine.  My last trip arrived 5 mins early into Dubai and I had time for a coffee and massage at the parlour opposite my next gate before the flight.

Just get off and get to your next gate, then you can establish how much time you have to wander.  A brisk walk not using the moving walkways and escalators is a good idea after a long flight anyway.  Easy on your own but not so easy with toddlers I know.

It certainly can be a challenge. One time my son at 3 years old had a meltdown in Dubai airport after a 20-30 min walk between gates at 3am as we were departing from C gates (very seldom used for the UK/Australia flights), I think that was with a 60 minute connection that time.  

A slight digression as it's not about Dubai - but we flew into Fort Worth with a short turn around for an onward flight into New Orleans - we'd had to renew the kids visa's (ours were still valid) and the kids had to wait in an immigration line for over 25 mins ... we really thought we were going to miss our connection.

18 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Always shout out to someone if you are in a long line with an imminent flight. They will move you to the front of the queue. It has happened to us when transiting and they always help.

They did  - perhaps because it was America  or without us in the line they were ignored and when hubby and I tried to speak to someone we were told to stand back from the place we were waiting for them.

2 hours ago, ali said:

They did  - perhaps because it was America  or without us in the line they were ignored and when hubby and I tried to speak to someone we were told to stand back from the place we were waiting for them.

America is unusual though as they require you to have a visa even if you are just changing planes

On 06/02/2018 at 16:24, jkm10 said:

Hi, I'm flying back to UK (Manchester) in September. I'm looking at going with Emirates as they have the best flight times. On the return journey i'm looking at booking i would have 1hour 40minutes layover in Dubai, realistically is this enough time to transfer from one plane to the other? I don't want a long layover but also don't want to be running to catch a flight. 

Also, I wanted to treat myself to Business class but just do it on the long journeys (aus-dubai, Dubai-aus), however, whenever i try doing this online it says it's not possible to travel in mix classes. Does anyone know a way around this? I looked at booking separately e.g. the aus-dubai route in business and Dubai - uk route in economy but it worked out too expensive. 

thanks jess :)

Just booked those flights for November 

business  on the long haul section , extra leg room on the short flights to and from Manchester 

we booked direct with emirates over the phone 

• Like 1

On 06/02/2018 at 22:23, CaptainR said:

1h40m connection time is absolutely normal and fine. Emirates and Dubai Airport have a 'MCT - Minimum Connection Time' of 60 minutes and this realistic and reasonable considering that misconnecting passengers is an undesirable and costly situation for the airline. It is in their interest that passengers make a connection. 

In a worst case scenario where you do miss a connection (i.e. due to a late inbound flight) you will be rebooked on of the other 3 Sydney flights for the day and provided meal vouchers and/or hotel accomodation and possibly be entitled to compensation.

As for mixed class bookings, you can call the Emirates call centre to see if they can do it over the phone although its probably unlikely to be much cheaper than a sale Business Special or Saver fare you might find online. 

Thanks :) I’m travelling to Brisbane not Sydney but I think there’s multiple flights per day as well to Brisbane. 

• Like 1

I had a 1hr 5min transfer time when I last went through Dubai (on Emirates flight booked via Qantas), which was originally a longer time period but the onward flight was moved to an earlier time.

I was in business class and flagged to the cabin staff that I had a short transfer time, so they put me and a few others into the first cabin, just before landing, so we could be shoved off ahead of everyone else.  The flight landed late so I was in a bit of a flap by this point... had to go through security and the staff there were not amazingly receptive to me and another woman who were saying we needed to rush, etc. And of course I got pulled over for a frisking.

Luckily the next gate was only around the corner and we made it with plenty of time.  But with no thanks to the staff onboard or the airside staff, which I found particularly bloody annoying, given the short transfer was not of my own making, and most airports are set up for short turnarounds and are often waiting for passengers with a short transfer window. 

• 2 months later...

I dislike Dubai airport, so the shorter the connection time the better. As you are highly likely using Emirates for both legs to the UK, the airline would not book your connecting flight if it was not possible to make it.  And as they will have done so, you are their responsibility to get you on the next flight.  If not, Emirates have a hotel they use, close to the airport, so you can rest there and get meals  etc.  I think all the Australia/UK flights use the same terminal now,  but check anyway. You don't want to be caught short and find you need to take the train between terminals. So do your shopping/looking at shops at your departure terminal.   If you decide to take a Dubai stopover for a few days on the way back be aware that all the flights seem to arrive at the same time of midnight or 1am.  The ques to get through immigration are long and take time.  Then you get out to the taxi area and find more long ques, and the heat hits you.  We are so over Dubai now. Wouldn't go back.  Now we fly Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong. Much better, and HK very exciting for a stop over.  C.P. fly to Manchester too !! win-win !     BUT last year when we came back, the security at Manchester was the worst (or best) we ever experienced. It was just after the Area Grande bombing, and the security was checking everyone very thoroughly. Everything had to go in the big box, your passport, wallet, money, belt, shoes.  It was pandemonium !!vPeoples belongings were getting mixed up and lost. It was chaos.  It could still be the same.   So glad to get through into the departure lounge.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I personally avoid Dubai airport now as I have missed connecting flights and found it just too busy (queues upon queues).

I was delayed out of LHR and the captain said.."dont worry they know your on your way" well the flight left while i was trying to make it to the gate. The i queued for 3 hours to rebook along with everyone else.  7 hours later off I went.

I have made connections in that time, just if there is a delay its a stress.

Abu Dhabi on the other hand with Etihad was like a day at the spa. Superb service throughout and no queues.

Edited by Leighbee98

On 31 May 2018 at 14:56, Leighbee98 said:

I personally avoid Dubai airport now as I have missed connecting flights and found it just too busy (queues upon queues).

I was delayed out of LHR and the captain said.."dont worry they know your on your way" well the flight left while i was trying to make it to the gate. The i queued for 3 hours to rebook along with everyone else.  7 hours later off I went.

I have made connections in that time, just if there is a delay its a stress.

Abu Dhabi on the other hand with Etihad was like a day at the spa. Superb service throughout and no queues.

I would agree when flying economy. But it is a great place if in business or first. Have gone through it about 40 times, most luckily business or first. The last time I went through was in first at 2am. I fancied a proper meal, but only breakfast chefs were on. So, they sent a can to go and get another chef so I could have my caviar, steak with lobster (free). Then wondered off for a complimentary massage in the spa. I was also a platinum member, so am pretty certain they wouldn't leave without me as one of the perks of platinum is they gauruntee a seat in business or first even if full. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I would agree when flying economy. But it is a great place if in business or first. Have gone through it about 40 times, most luckily business or first. The last time I went through was in first at 2am. I fancied a proper meal, but only breakfast chefs were on. So, they sent a can to go and get another chef so I could have my caviar, steak with lobster (free). Then wondered off for a complimentary massage in the spa. I was also a platinum member, so am pretty certain they wouldn't leave without me as one of the perks of platinum is they gauruntee a seat in business or first even if full. 

Alright for some!!  Do you need someone to carry your bags next trip? me me me me (jumping with hand in the air)

• Haha 1