Moving home alone after 10 years

Banana707

Some people as said before should never leave the place they were born and lived in all their lives before emigrating. 

i think the women pioneers who moved here years ago are unsung heroes. If you have been to Longreach and visited the Stockmans Hall of fame and read the hardships they endured. Eg nearest neighbour 100 miles away, 10 miles to their front gate, giving birth with almost no help, bringing children up in harsh conditions, you wonder what modern woman are moaning about. 

Australia is a different country, it’s not for everyone, we have been made very welcome here, made it our home. Have no desire to live in UK, it’s not for us after 25 years away, but certainly don’t criticise it on post after post. To busy living life.

I do understand finding living in another country hard, as I lived in a Muslim country for 10 years, and yes it was tough at times, husband often home for only 6 days a month, but that was what it was, my home was where my husband’s work was.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 7

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 08:18, Booma said:

Perhaps I’m just odd but my family is my husband. I have other extended family but my husband is the one I have chosen to do life with. Without him my life would be meaningless and empty. He is my home.

I can fully agree and understand that statement .

thank god I chose well .

5ft 2 in and carrying our immediate family , and the responsibilities of an extended family on her shoulders .

someday soon ,all those responsibilities will lessen .....we will hold hands , walk forward and say " job done , our time now " ?

• Like 4

On 26/06/2018 at 09:18, starlight7 said:

I'm just guessing things are not quite as rosy as the distant perception was for the O.P. Things are rarely that black and white, particularly when a life has been lived elsewhere for many years!

why do you guess that?

11 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

Once you get enough cash together get that ticket booked and don't look back.

UK is a great place.  The best in the world.  

I tend to agree ,during a decent summer ?.

somewhere in europe ....probably is the best place in the world ,taking everything into account

Italy in a few weeks ..cant wait ....bloody love Italy

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Banana707 said:

Hi all. It's been a little over 2 months and I'm absolutely loving it.

Came back on my own and now have a flat, my friends and family and even been on a few dates.

Best decision I ever made.

now banana , going back to your original post , about having a better lifestyle in oz ?....i was just about to take up the issue with you ?

I get the big house , job etc ...but the lifestyle bit is debateable ?

now , take out a map and look at the possibilities within a £50 flight ....barcelona ...madrid ...rome ...innsbruck ...berlin ....venice ...prague ....budapest ...etc etc ?.....oh , don't forget Paris ?

1 hour ago, Banana707 said:

Came back on my own and now have a flat, my friends and family and even been on a few dates.

You sound so happy.  ?  Good to hear your move back has worked out so well for you.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2018 at 17:18, Booma said:

Perhaps I’m just odd but my family is my husband. I have other extended family but my husband is the one I have chosen to do life with. Without him my life would be meaningless and empty. He is my home.

I think this is why migrating for us has been like a duck to water - we were a set family unit of 2+2 and have always had a focus on that.  We miss friends etc. but overall has been a good move for us.

It actually wouldn't matter where we were tbh (before Australia we were set on a step via New Jersey), just so happens at the moment there isn't anything that would get me out of Queensland.

It sounds like @Banana707 made the right call - good luck with your life back in the UK!

Edited by Ferrets
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Banana707 said:

I was wondering how things were going for you and so glad to hear that you’ve hit the ground running! Long may the good times continue!

• Like 2

I think this is why migrating for us has been like a duck to water - we were a set family unit of 2+2 and have always had a focus on that.  We miss friends etc. but overall has been a good move for us.
It actually wouldn't matter where we were tbh (before Australia we were set on a step via New Jersey), just so happens at the moment there isn't anything that would get me out of Queensland.
It sounds like [mention=217307]Banana707[/mention] made the right call - good luck with your life back in the UK!

We moved to Australia 13 years ago and initially had simular feelings about the move as yourself..

However i don't think we envisage how we may feel in the long run.

We change over time and the things that are important to us may change over time too....

We are moving back to the uk in August. I know it wont be easy, but we will appreciate things more about the uk that perhaps we used to take for granted.

Hoping you settle well and enjoy the time in your new home.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, MelT said:

We moved to Australia 13 years ago and initially had simular feelings about the move as yourself..

However i don't think we envisage how we may feel in the long run.

We change over time and the things that are important to us may change over time too....

We are moving back to the uk in August. I know it wont be easy, but we will appreciate things more about the uk that perhaps we used to take for granted.

Hoping you settle well and enjoy the time in your new home.

It feels like a cheat of a caveat; all of our siblings are here, my parents are here, my wife's parents are 6mos/6mos.....

It has made it a "low risk" migration from our perspective, but appreciate it's likely not the norm.

That's wonderful news :) Great to hear the move has gone so well :)