Rough Guide - Guess top destination for 2018

tea4too

Newcastle and the whole NE area is a fabulous place. We’ve just left after living up there for six years. It has everything - beautiful beaches, countryside, amazing history, loads of cultural venues/events, lovely people, easy access to the rest of the country (apart from the A1) via decent transport links. It’s also underpopulated which is a huge plus!

The only thing I couldn’t live with long term is the weather - if you don’t mind that then it’s the best place anywhere and I’m glad it’s getting the recognition it deserves!

• Like 2

Spent a lot of Spring and summer around there was his year running a geological investigation. My wife had never been and was stunned by it. In fact the first time she went to South Shields she actually cried at how stunning the beach was. 

The north east in general has a huge amount to offer. 

• Like 1

We looked at that area when we were starting to make plans to move back to the UK.  It was one of the main contenders, to be honest.  My aunt and uncle have just moved up there from Hereford and love it.  My cousin isn't very happy though, because he's at uni in Cardiff and can't just pop home for the weekend to get his washing done!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LKC said:

We looked at that area when we were starting to make plans to move back to the UK.  It was one of the main contenders, to be honest.  My aunt and uncle have just moved up there from Hereford and love it.  My cousin isn't very happy though, because he's at uni in Cardiff and can't just pop home for the weekend to get his washing done!

My daughter was at Bristol uni and her boyfriend was at Cardiff. They used to fly up all the time from Bristol - it’s only £30-60, so much cheaper and quicker than the train. Home on a Friday evening and back on Sunday night or early Monday morning. Good old easyJet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Spent a lot of Spring and summer around there was his year running a geological investigation. My wife had never been and was stunned by it. In fact the first time she went to South Shields she actually cried at how stunning the beach was. 

The north east in general has a huge amount to offer. 

and the people are great ...

we have relatives in north shields

• Like 2

23 hours ago, tea4too said:

Newcastle, England! With  Wales coming in at a credible Number Five - ahead of Cuba, Russia, Nw Orleans, Chile and Sierra Leone.

Good news for the UK tourist economy.

www.roughguides.com/best-places-to-travel/the-rough-guide-to-2018/

wait till 2022 and brums commonwealth games ?.....the 100m backstroke in the canal should be interesting ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Parley said:

The Tyne must be one of the great rivers of Europe.

Who would have known ?

Worked on Bywell castle and Hall before coming out to oz , lord and Lady Allandale 2 of the nicest people you could meet , some of the best salmon fishing in the uk he was telling me , a very beautiful place indeed and top people as well 

• Like 3

On 21/12/2017 at 09:44, caramac said:

Newcastle and the whole NE area is a fabulous place. We’ve just left after living up there for six years. It has everything - beautiful beaches, countryside, amazing history, loads of cultural venues/events, lovely people, easy access to the rest of the country (apart from the A1) via decent transport links. It’s also underpopulated which is a huge plus!

The only thing I couldn’t live with long term is the weather - if you don’t mind that then it’s the best place anywhere and I’m glad it’s getting the recognition it deserves!

Northumberland and County Durham  ..............  two of my favourite parts of the UK.  Got friends in Romaldkirk a lovely village in County Durham.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

Northumberland and County Durham  ..............  two of my favourite parts of the UK.  Got friends in Romaldkirk a lovely village in County Durham.

It’s such a beautiful part of the world. I feel lucky to have been able to live there for a while.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toots said:

We looked at the area to move to before OH was offered his job in Scotland.  I'd have been happy there.  Funnily enough, mu aunt and uncle have just moved up that way from Hereford.  I can trace my ancestors to Barmoor and Etal castles in Northumberland, so it's in the blood!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caramac said:

It’s such a beautiful part of the world. I feel lucky to have been able to live there for a while.

My great granny lived in Whitley Bay and Mum spent a lot of time there as a child.  She had asthma and it was thought the sea air was good for her at the time.  She had such lovely memories of the whole area that she took us there many times on holiday.  I go back there whenever I'm back in the UK.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Toots said:

My great granny lived in Whitley Bay and Mum spent a lot of time there as a child.  She had asthma and it was thought the sea air was good for her at the time.  She had such lovely memories of the whole area that she took us there many times on holiday.  I go back there whenever I'm back in the UK.

The air probably was good there - it blows so hard sometimes it’d fill your lungs without any effort to breathe! It’s such a pretty coastline up there - totally unspoilt, huge sandy beaches. Our dog loved it. He’d run for miles! I hope he likes Melbourne beaches as much when he comes back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caramac said:

The air probably was good there - it blows so hard sometimes it’d fill your lungs without any effort to breathe! It’s such a pretty coastline up there - totally unspoilt, huge sandy beaches. Our dog loved it. He’d run for miles! I hope he likes Melbourne beaches as much when he comes back.

A bit like the north coast of Tassie.  We get huge winds here and the air is so fresh too.  Today there is no wind at all which is quite unusual. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toots said:

A bit like the north coast of Tassie.  We get huge winds here and the air is so fresh too.  Today there is no wind at all which is quite unusual. 

I’m going to be there next week to do a bit of exploring on our way down to visit my husband in Hobart. Can’t wait to see it!

We were in Hobart last week - that’s stunningly beautiful (and windy!), so looking forward to seeing more of your lovely island.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, caramac said:

I’m going to be there next week to do a bit of exploring on our way down to visit my husband in Hobart. Can’t wait to see it!

We were in Hobart last week - that’s stunningly beautiful (and windy!), so looking forward to seeing more of your lovely island.

The downside of Tassie at the moment is busy roads - lots of tourists and lack of rain so things are looking a bit on the golden brown side.  The farmers are using large irrigation sprinklers on the pastures and crops.

irrigation.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

The downside of Tassie at the moment is busy roads - lots of tourists and lack of rain so things are looking a bit on the golden brown side.  The farmers are using large irrigation sprinklers on the pastures and crops.

irrigation.jpg

Looks like Norfolk! I’m driving around Melbourne at the moment... That’s traffic!! I guess you’ll notice it more though.

Just now, caramac said:

Looks like Norfolk! I’m driving around Melbourne at the moment... That’s traffic!! I guess you’ll notice it more though.

...........................  and watch out for hoons on little country roads - they go far too fast and tailgate.  :/

After me saying how dry it's been   ......................  we have had a shower of rain and it's much cooler.  Loving it! 

• Like 1