Raining

Gbye grey sky

Guest The Pom Queen
How do people live in such a freezing climate is beyond me.
I would hate to live in Scotland.
The South of England was too cold too in Winter but slightly bearable I suppose in Summer at least.

I thought the same Parley but when we were last in America we went to Salt Lake City and I absolutely loved the snow. I suppose the novelty would soon wear off.
b084f49e3583a0ef88b36094459ed0d9.jpg

9dfdc8893878f2aa74a24fe0eb48b847.jpg

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

40 minutes ago, Parley said:

How do people live in such a freezing climate is beyond me.

I would hate to live in Scotland.

The South of England was too cold too in Winter but slightly bearable I suppose in Summer at least.

Taking into account your very thin blood ,  thats why you choose to live in tropical Melbourne.... I too lived in Scotland at one time and it was a different kind of "cold" . Warm insulated, double glazed homes made living there very acceptable.

The temperatures are consistent which you cant say  for Melbourne.. I have frozen my socks off there before now, having started my day with a t shirt.

I dont believe anyone lives in :biggrin: Melbourne or Tasmania for a constant suntan Parley!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was back in Bristol for 3 months this year, I was so cold at the end of March and April it wasn't funny. On the beach at Easter in 12' with the grandchildren wearing 3 tops plus coat (and trousers of course). Had to laugh when the temperature finally reached a balmy 16' and everyone sunbathing! Well except me.

On a slightly more serious note, when you get older snow and ice is not funny, I have osteoporosis and the last time I was there in December it had snowed and the pavements were very icy, hardly any were cleared. To say I was nervous is an understatement especially as I was recovering from a bad fall. 

No one climate suits everyone, I just prefer warmth for my bones, and can't stand stuffy central heated houses any more.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

As I write it is finally raining now in Redlands (SE Queensland).  Looks like over the next 24 hours we are going to have our first worthwhile  rain since May.  It is so welcome in light of the extreme fire risks the drought and recent record high temperatures has brought.

this big wet is on its way.

Guest The Pom Queen
1 hour ago, simmo said:

this big wet is on its way.

Yes we have got rain today, we are so thankful. Our local Dam is at 5.4%

10 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Yes we have got rain today, we are so thankful. Our local Dam is at 5.4%

Our dams here are only 40% full.  Apparently that's OK.  Currently 93 per cent of the power Tasmania uses is renewable, predominantly from hydro-generated electricity.

• Like 1

Just returned from a week in Albany in SWWA. It rained every day for various durations but not all day. (not to dissimilar to Tasmania I would expect, definitely similar to Melbourne) I enjoyed the grey 'gothic' feel to the city. It was great for walking. The wind on days a little tiresome in places, but the country side was very green and fresh.

My only gripe with rain is the poor state of housing in the main. The inclination towards dampness being a factor. Rather nice to be in a place with definite seasons and a view too much.

• Like 1