Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

Dutton is trying to change the waiting period after the grant PR status from one year to four.  Personally I doubt it will stay at one year, but it is unlikely to be four either.  It all depends on the final provisions of the Citizenship  Bill when it becomes law, and no one can predict that.   If your wife had applied two months ago, her application would have been frozen, so I don't understand your point.  All applications submitted after 20 April have been frozen.

5 minutes ago, Roberta2 said:

Dutton is trying to change the waiting period after the grant PR status from one year to four.  Personally I doubt it will stay at one year, but it is unlikely to be four either.  It all depends on the final provisions of the Citizenship  Bill when it becomes law, and no one can predict that.   If your wife had applied two months ago, her application would have been frozen, so I don't understand your point.  All applications submitted after 20 April have been frozen.

I know applications have been frozen but some have applied in the hope they have a head started in processing  if they stick to old rules. If they dont stick to old rules maybe a few unhappy people. And im also told by applying say now before parliament opens that they might accept application up until then but any new applications might be under what they decide.

This could be bad having not applied sooner. 

Its bad enough having just missed applying by 6 weeks but if they said new applications will be affected by the new laws would be even worse.

1 minute ago, Roberta2 said:

Of course new applications will be affected by new laws. How could it be otherwise?

What you talking about why should it?either my wife is able to apply for citizenship or she is not. She was able to 1 june but due to changes from 20th april means now july 2018.

She was 6 eeeks away from applying but cause the backdated it from 20th april she cant.

She will have 4 yrs pr july 2018 is this is still a requirement.

But she should not be knocked back once again just cause she did not apply two months ago that would not be right.

The obvious wanted most to hold off new laws are in places but i believe many just applied anyway.

Some are like 3 or 4 yrs away from being able to apply if the go with new rules.

I would find it very unfair just cause they applied before parliament sit they are ok when wife was able to apply 2 months ago or only has till july 2018 if pr time is an issue.

2 hours ago, bwatt99 said:

Im curious when you say eligible for citizenship is this under the old rules or new rules if passed?

Im starting to wonder if my wife is the only one holding back on citizenship to see if new laws kick in or not.

We will be eligible under the new rules. We arrived here on PR so the new residency requirements don't affect us. We will have to give the English test if the new rules pass.

1 hour ago, bwatt99 said:

What you talking about why should it?either my wife is able to apply for citizenship or she is not. She was able to 1 june but due to changes from 20th april means now july 2018.

She was 6 eeeks away from applying but cause the backdated it from 20th april she cant.

She will have 4 yrs pr july 2018 is this is still a requirement.

But she should not be knocked back once again just cause she did not apply two months ago that would not be right.

The obvious wanted most to hold off new laws are in places but i believe many just applied anyway.

Some are like 3 or 4 yrs away from being able to apply if the go with new rules.

I would find it very unfair just cause they applied before parliament sit they are ok when wife was able to apply 2 months ago or only has till july 2018 if pr time is an issue.

I understand your predicament but nobody really can give you the answer you're looking for.

Either you apply now and risk losing the application fee OR don't apply and risk missing out applying under the old rules.

That's the decision you have to make. Nobody really knows if the new rules will pass or be thrown out or there will be some compromise in the middle.

Hi all,

My first post here, I appreciate if you can help. Me and my wife just became eligible to apply for citizenship under old rules. I want to apply anyway hoping that the new rules will be rejected or at least  there will be changes to the retrospective part. My question is , if the new rules get approved and our application gets rejected, will we be banned for applying again for a period of time (i.e 2 or 3 years)? Or it won't effect our future applications (once we become eligible again with the new rules!)?

Cheers,

Hoomi

Hi all,
My first post here, I appreciate if you can help. Me and my wife just became eligible to apply for citizenship under old rules. I want to apply anyway hoping that the new rules will be rejected or at least  there will be changes to the retrospective part. My question is , if the new rules get approved and our application gets rejected, will we be banned for applying again for a period of time (i.e 2 or 3 years)? Or it won't effect our future applications (once we become eligible again with the new rules!)?

Cheers,
Hoomi

I don't think because there is no such capping on filing a case d again......
But still not sure some expert advice is to be taken here.....

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using PomsinOz mobile app

12 hours ago, coker said:

I understand your predicament but nobody really can give you the answer you're looking for.

Either you apply now and risk losing the application fee OR don't apply and risk missing out applying under the old rules.

That's the decision you have to make. Nobody really knows if the new rules will pass or be thrown out or there will be some compromise in the middle.

Are you sure that the application fee would be lost?

5 hours ago, Roberta2 said:

Are you sure that the application fee would be lost?

I'm not sure either way. I was responding to the poster's concern that he might lose the application fee if he applied now. If someone knows for sure either way, it makes the poster's decision easier.

19 hours ago, captain_hoomi said:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Hoomi

Any one knows the answer of my question? Will someone be banned for sometime if apply under old rules and get  rejected when new rules get approved?

You won't be banned.  What we are debating is whether your application fee will be refunded if you are deemed ineligible.  I believe that the government would have to refund it, otherwise it would probably face some kind of class action.  But I don't really know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roberta2 said:

You won't be banned.  What we are debating is whether your application fee will be refunded if you are deemed ineligible.  I believe that the government would have to refund it, otherwise it would probably face some kind of class action.  But I don't really know.

Thanks for the answer. The confusing part is when I use the citizenship wizard it tells me I am eligible!!

Hello,

We arrived on PR 4 years ago and met all of the criteria both before 20/4 and after. I was partway through the online application as at 20/4 and since then have had trouble progressing on the online application as it won't let you proceed past a certain page. I decided I would simply print it off and fill in the 1300 form and mail it in via registered delivery, prior to 30/6 just in case any other rules were suddenly implemented without notice on 1/7. I haven't heard anything from DIAC/DIBP as to whether they have received the mail application, my account has not been debited either...I'm debating continuing with the online application? Any thoughts or advice?

Contacting the helpline is a nightmare from when I have tried to call them in the past.

Thanks,

Stephen

• Like 1

No point in pushing any application now.   Not sure why you thought the end of the financial year would have made any difference.  Just hope that the Citizenship Bill is actually debated in Parliament this session.  Turnbull has only a one seat majority in the House of Reps, and it all looks very volatile right now.

interesting twist, even OneNation now opposes the retrospective/backdating nature of this bill and apps freeze. It's getting likely that the retrospective nature at the very least will get thrown out. 

This is OneNation Senator's response to someone who tried emailing them with his objections about the bill (obtained from another immigration forum)

""

Thank you for your e-mail,

One Nation is fully supportive of the Citizenship changes, however I can understand the frustration of those specifically who have lodged Citizenship applications after the Minister’s announcement on April 20 this year and having complied fully with the current Citizenship law and the Government gladly taking their money. I will support any measure that allows these legally lodged applications to proceed under the current law. It has been an error of judgement by the Department to allow any Citizenship applications to continue to be submitted after the Ministers announcement and finalisation of the proposed changes.

Kind Regards,
Brian Burston | Federal Senator for New South Wales ""

Edited by wombatinabox

6 hours ago, wombatinabox said:

nteresting twist, even OneNation now opposes the retrospective/backdating nature of this bill and apps freeze. It's getting likely that the retrospective nature at the very least will get thrown out. 

This is OneNation Senator's response to someone who tried emailing them with his objections about the bill (obtained from another immigration forum)

So it seems they're not opposed to the backdating but rather that applications could still be lodged after 20 June. What he is really saying is that they support the legislation and the freeze, but because there was in their view a stuff-up in allowing applications to be lodged post 20 April, they'll graciously support those who feel their application should be processed on the basis of prevailing legislation.

21 minutes ago, Spinny said:

So it seems they're not opposed to the backdating but rather that applications could still be lodged after 20 June. What he is really saying is that they support the legislation and the freeze, but because there was in their view a stuff-up in allowing applications to be lodged post 20 April, they'll graciously support those who feel their application should be processed on the basis of prevailing legislation.

So for a wife who could have applied 1st june but if under new rules would be july 2018 to have the 4 yrs pr. I wonder if she should just go ahead and apply.

2 hours ago, bwatt99 said:

So for a wife who could have applied 1st june but if under new rules would be july 2018 to have the 4 yrs pr. I wonder if she should just go ahead and apply.

Depends....can you afford to lose whatever it is you may lose if her application is rejected?

3 hours ago, bwatt99 said:

Mate, basically if you can afford to lose $285 just do it, although i am 99.9% certain they will REFUND you the money if the rules change. 

Hi Guys :)

It's been a while I haven't heard any news about this citizenship changes bill sitting in the parlimant . Is there any maximum time for a bill to stay in the parlimant and then water down by itself when the MPs dont reach to a decision? Is there any time given by the government  when this bill will be finalising?

I'll be due to apply my citizenship in November if the existing rules will still be in place or I will be waiting for another 3 years  if this new bill passes through the parlimant .

Any signs of this bill successfully  passing through the parlimant as in its original shape or any signs of it thrown out of the parlimant by the opposition parties ?

Cheers

Parliament has been on its winter break.  Spring session starts next week.  The relevant Senate committee reports on 4 September.   And no, a Bill once introduced is not like an ice bloc- doesn't slowly melt. Maybe you should watch Annabelle Crabb's new program on how Parliament House operates!

Does anyone know when the Bill is going back before the House? Or are they going to wait for the results of the Senate committee?

The lack of progress is starting to get annoying. Whilst I appreciate that they have just come back from their Winter break, this has been rolling around since April with no clear indication of time lines etc, etc.  I just would like to know either way so that I can get on with things and make plans instead of being stuck in application process purgatory!

Edited by Jason Martin