Changes to pathway to Citizenship

Beffers

11 hours ago, Roberta2 said:

I wouldn't bother contacting the One Nation Senators....

Although that could be fun and who knows they might change their minds!

In France we have the say: "Only idiots do not change their mind."

:P

15 hours ago, wombatinabox said:

Hi Folks,

Important reminder, The following Senators will be the main deciding factor if this Citizenship Bill goes ahead or rejected. So if you are affected by this bill, without delay make sure you email the following senators with your story and opposition to this bill and ask them to reject the bill:

1. Nick Xenophon (Team Xenophon Party) senator.xenophon@aph.gov.au

2. Stirling Griff (Team Xenophon Party) senator.griff@aph.gov.au

3. Skye Kakoschke-Moore (Team Xenophon Party) senator.kakoschke-moore@aph.gov.au

4. Derryn Hinch (Justice Party) senator.hinch@aph.gov.au

5. Lucy Gichuhi (Independent) senator.gichuhi@aph.gov.au

Points you can mention (Retrospective/backdating nature of this Bill, Applications freeze since April20, extra 4 years wait for non-PR, English level 6 test, extra votes they can win by rejecting this bill from near-future citizens, new powers for Minister to override courts, any other stuff affecting you, etc )

I have personally received responses from all of these Senators, spoke to some of them and in some cases their policy assistants, who all confirmed that they are leaning towards rejecting or watering down the bill but haven't made a decision yet (on the fence), continued pressure from the public like yourselves will help steer them in the right direction. I have also been in touch with Labour and Greens Reps & senators who are united in strongly opposing the bill.

In addition, it also helps contacting your local MP and State Senator (regardless of Party),  you can find them using the following tool: http://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members

I hope most of you got the time to email the Senate committee with your submissions, these submissions will be reviewed by the Senate:  legcon.sen@aph.gov.au  (Deadline July 21st )

Keep up the pressure, we can do it!

my local MP is Alex Hawke Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection but it looks like it's not worthy to talk to liberty party MP for this bill.

Edited by whtzau
CHANGE

On 22/07/2017 at 08:58, Parley said:

Given none of you can vote, do you really think politicians care what you think ?

Surely they would listen to voting citizens in their electorates.

Yes, they most likely would considering most if not all will be eligible to vote in the not too distant future. Don't forget just because an individual raising a concern on this forum may not be in a position to vote at present, there is a reasonable chance they have family members that may be eligible!

On 22/07/2017 at 10:58, Parley said:

Given none of you can vote, do you really think politicians care what you think ?

Surely they would listen to voting citizens in their electorates.

I can vote, moreover, i'm in Dutton's electorate area. 

Edited by ovel
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spinny said:

The processing time frame is really starting to blow out now....

Conferral (lodgement to ceremony**) 11 months  16 months

It's going to get worse as backlog piles up, We are headed to 24 months wait time soon. Used to be 3-6 months..

Very dark and cruel times for citizenship applicants. 

Edited by wombatinabox

I did e-mailed to review committee and other senate members as mentioned by others in previous posts. looks like immigration people informing the people to wait till september to get an update weather bill will pass or not.  I am not clear on the travel restrictions after visa is lodged and while approval is still pending.

Immigration site mention that we can travel outside Australia after the case is approved and travelling out of Australia after the case is approved doesn't impact the case status. However it did not mention explicitly anything about travelling before case is approved. People lodging the applications and no one knows when it is going to get approved, Based on current citizenship rules and processing times,it may taken anywhere between 6-12 months to get approval( it is an assumption). Are we legally allowed to travel outside Australia when the case yet to be approved? I will be lodging my application in sep,  I have travel plans end of the year and want take long vacation 3-4 months. while I dont find any info reg that some people are saying that we are not supposed to travel out side Australia while case is in pending approval state. Want to get right info reg that. Experts, could you please share your thoughts? 

9 minutes ago, seeker said:

I did e-mailed to review committee and other senate members as mentioned by others in previous posts. looks like immigration people informing the people to wait till september to get an update weather bill will pass or not.  I am not clear on the travel restrictions after visa is lodged and while approval is still pending.

Immigration site mention that we can travel outside Australia after the case is approved and travelling out of Australia after the case is approved doesn't impact the case status. However it did not mention explicitly anything about travelling before case is approved. People lodging the applications and no one knows when it is going to get approved, Based on current citizenship rules and processing times,it may taken anywhere between 6-12 months to get approval( it is an assumption). Are we legally allowed to travel outside Australia when the case yet to be approved? I will be lodging my application in sep,  I have travel plans end of the year and want take long vacation 3-4 months. while I dont find any info reg that some people are saying that we are not supposed to travel out side Australia while case is in pending approval state. Want to get right info reg that. Experts, could you please share your thoughts? 

I always saw this so called rule that you can't travel after you apply for citizenship and that you can only travel after approval. But this was only discussed on forums

I can't find any official rule that states this, is this just an internet rumour?

Edited by wombatinabox

2 hours ago, wombatinabox said:

I always saw this so called rule that you can't travel after you apply for citizenship and that you can only travel after approval. But this was only discussed on forums

I can't find any official rule that states this, is this just an internet rumour?

Its not a rule. You ccan still travel.

Just now, Jason Martin said:

Just tried to apply online under the old rules. Only got to page 4 before it came up saying the site had technical difficulties.  Anyone else having similar issues?

Having the exact same problem mate, since Friday. Glad I'm not alone! Hopefully it's just a Tech glitch and not them blocking apps!

6 minutes ago, wombatinabox said:

Having the exact same problem mate, since Friday. Glad I'm not alone! Hopefully it's just a Tech glitch and not them blocking apps!

Hopefully it is a glitch.  Trying to get my application done before Parliament resits.

15 minutes ago, Jason Martin said:

Hopefully it is a glitch.  Trying to get my application done before Parliament resits.

What the reason of trying to apply before parliament starts? When do they start?

Am i missing something here while was able to apply under old rules back on 1st june but we left it for now to see what happens under new rules she would not be able to apply till july 2018.

Ideally would prefer if we could apply now but is there any point?

4 minutes ago, bwatt99 said:

What the reason of trying to apply before parliament starts? When do they start?

Am i missing something here while was able to apply under old rules back on 1st june but we left it for now to see what happens under new rules she would not be able to apply till july 2018.

If you are eligible under BOTH old and new rules you might as well apply now. It puts you in the waiting queue for processing. As you know, the wait times have increased from 3-6 months to now 16 months due to massive backlog created by the freeze. 

If freeze continues it will soon exceed 20 months wait time so you might as well block a slot in the queue now if you are eligible. 

9 minutes ago, wombatinabox said:

If you are eligible under BOTH old and new rules you might as well apply now. It puts you in the waiting queue for processing. As you know, the wait times have increased from 3-6 months to now 16 months due to massive backlog created by the freeze. 

If freeze continues it will soon exceed 20 months wait time so you might as well block a slot in the queue now if you are eligible. 

16 months thats crazy wife is only One Left in family to apply but We Never bothered as heard loose Application fee etc etc.

And if new rules did apply then she would need to wait till july 2018 anyway.

Was tempted regardless for her still to apply back in june but now that you say that maybe if new rules did kick in by time they did her application it be officially ok as she be under new rules anyway.

But if these new rules don't kick in and go in her favor or old rules then maybe she will have a head start.

Surely they cant keep a back log for that long aint they going to start new staff so they can catch up.

Sometimes i wonder if its even worth it to be honest.

28 minutes ago, bwatt99 said:

No particular reason.  Just did not want to apply and for them to say that all current applications will be processed but all new ones will have to abide by the new rules i.e. not back dated but the new rules apply if passed through parliament.

2 minutes ago, Jason Martin said:

No particular reason.  Just did not want to apply and for them to say that all current applications will be processed but all new ones will have to abide by the new rules i.e. not back dated but the new rules apply if passed through parliament.

There is a chance that can happen btw. Smart to apply now IF eligible under BOTH old and new rules. 

10 minutes ago, bwatt99 said:

16 months thats crazy wife is only One Left in family to apply but We Never bothered as heard loose Application fee etc etc.

And if new rules did apply then she would need to wait till july 2018 anyway.

Was tempted regardless for her still to apply back in june but now that you say that maybe if new rules did kick in by time they did her application it be officially ok as she be under new rules anyway.

But if these new rules don't kick in and go in her favor or old rules then maybe she will have a head start.

Surely they cant keep a back log for that long aint they going to start new staff so they can catch up.

Sometimes i wonder if its even worth it to be honest.

In your case you should just wait till the new rules are either confirmed or hopefully rejected.

Edited by wombatinabox

23 minutes ago, wombatinabox said:

There is a chance that can happen btw. Smart to apply now IF eligible under BOTH old and new rules. 

I will not be eligible under the new rules until Apr 2020.  I have to chance it and apply now. If it does get the new rules do get rejected, then at least my application will be in the long waiting list.

54 minutes ago, wombatinabox said:

Where are you getting the info on the time line for processing?  Admittedly, I haven't looked myself but I am curious.

1 hour ago, wombatinabox said:

Not sure about that one.  Suspect everyone will have to apply or reapply under the new rules once the new law is put into effect.   I doubt officials are going to trawl through thousands of frozen applications to make sure the applicant is eligible under the new laws. The Senate committee is due to report on 4 September.

19 minutes ago, Roberta2 said:

Not sure about that one.  Suspect everyone will have to apply or reapply under the new rules once the new law is put into effect.   I doubt officials are going to trawl through thousands of frozen applications to make sure the applicant is eligible under the new laws. The Senate committee is due to report on 4 September.

They will not have too trawl to hard.  A quick computer search will tell them all they have to know. Refunding everyone that has applied will be fun though as everyone whom has applied after the 20th Apr until the new rules (if passed) is technically able to apply. I think the rules will change but not in the present format, but what that will be, will be another issue.  Besides, with the current MP/Senator eligibility wrangle that is going on, I think that the proposed changes are going to be put on the back burner as each party gets its own little ducks in a row.  Hopefully the Senate review committee will not support the proposed changes in terms of (time) eligibility.

Edited by Jason Martin
Spelling mistake

3 hours ago, Roberta2 said:

I wonder what happens in my case. I'm already a citizen, but my wife and children are not, we have already submitted, and eligible under old and new rules. The only thing that may affect the application is if my wife fails ielts. So, what are they going to do then ? they will grant children with citizenship, and skip my wife but will invite her on the ceremony or what ?