Warning, Warning. Do NOT move to Perth.

Parley

Having just been been granted visas for WA.....should we be concerned? We are planning to head south west to Bunbury?

It depends what your occupations are & if you already have work lined up.

If you have work then actually it is probably a good time to go as rentals are much easier to secure and house prices are dropping.

If you are in a profession that is not really impacted by the economy - healthcare, education etc. then it should be okay.

Most businesses are affected one way or another by the downturn but if you work in mining or construction then you probably should be concerned.

Disclaimer: I no longer live in Perth but have friends that do and frequent this board.

Going to Bunbury tomorrow. Personally wouldn't want to live there as it is a long way off Perth. Mandurah is at least touching distance. Bunbury is a fast growing place though and has many positives. As other posts have suggested it will very much depend on your work situations.

Going to Bunbury tomorrow. Personally wouldn't want to live there as it is a long way off Perth. Mandurah is at least touching distance. Bunbury is a fast growing place though and has many positives. As other posts have suggested it will very much depend on your work situations.

Am I right in thinking Bunbury is around 90 mins from Perth? Too far to commute but within visiting distance.We have to settle in regional WA to meet visa requirements, are there any areas you would recommend?

Am I right in thinking Bunbury is around 90 mins from Perth? Too far to commute but within visiting distance.We have to settle in regional WA to meet visa requirements, are there any areas you would recommend?

someone told me that Perth counts as regional for the visas but I could be wrong. Only time I spent in bunbury was passing through on bus. Mandurah is nice and so is Margaret river. I think I could definitely live in Margaret river but I'm guessing the work side would be hard depending on the job

North Mandurah, I think Meadow Springs , Madora Bay is the first area south of Perth that counts as regional so you don't have to go as far as Bunbury Newjez is right it's about 2rs 30 from central Perth to Central Bunbury certainly day trip able. Bunbury is a beautiful place to live dependant on careers obviously. There is talk of a train link happening to Perth but I wouldn't hold my breath it's taken 6 plus years to build the new Aubin Grove station and it's still not open.

someone told me that Perth counts as regional for the visas but I could be wrong. Only time I spent in bunbury was passing through on bus. Mandurah is nice and so is Margaret river. I think I could definitely live in Margaret river but I'm guessing the work side would be hard depending on the job

It totally depends on the visa - we were discussing the 187 visa specifically which does class the whole of WA as regional

http://www.australiaherewecome.com.au/rsms-postcode-list/

For a 489 the list is different as it requires an area that is also low population growth

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Allocation-dates-for-General-Skilled-Migration-applications/regional-growth#wa

Having driven around Bunbury in depth on Tuesday it did seem very nice. It has a meth problem like many other places but I heard it's slightly higher in Bunbury. Maybe someone can clarify? I'd suggest you could drive to Bunbury in two hours from Perth but only at a quiet time, so two hours thirty is realistic. Again you need to be realistic in terms of jobs, it's not easy to advise on an area when we don't know what type of job you are looking for!

WOW, this looks a Belter of a post for someone planning on returning to Western Australia. It just goes to show how helpful so much of the information is here on this site. How the mighty have fallen. I remember being there at the height of the mining boom and people were sloshing money around like there was no tomorrow. I recall thinking, what are this lot going to do if all this goes Bit's Up. Many people out of W.A were quite envious of it all. So looking in from an Outside position (still in UK right now) it looks a sad situation.

Western Australia is Australia's worst performing state.

Even worse than Tassie.

So to all Poms wanting to move to Australia it is best to come over to the Eastern side.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/nsw-is-australias-best-performing-state-while-western-australia-has-slipped-to-last-place/news-story/9b49f3ad440a83b75e101bb2db9bf1d6

WOW, this looks a Belter of a post for someone planning on returning to Western Australia. It just goes to show how helpful so much of the information is here on this site. How the mighty have fallen. I remember being there at the height of the mining boom and people were sloshing money around like there was no tomorrow. I recall thinking, what are this lot going to do if all this goes Bit's Up. Many people out of W.A were quite envious of it all. So looking in from an Outside position (still in UK right now) it looks a sad situation.

Dont believe all the hype. The big paying Mining boom type jobs may not be available in WA , but the real work is still ticking along nicely. Just do your research and you should be fine. I've just returned from a trip to Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast and I really don't think things are any different. In my circle of friends Brits & Aussies, none are unemployed, but in fairness they are skilled. Not sure about how the mighty have fallen, I know there are many families that have carried on living their lives unaffected by booms or busts in the mining field. I know many who are in the high paying mining boom type jobs that still live in WA but FIFO to Darwin until something becomes available in WA again, it's very swings and roundabouts. As I've said just research research and research some more.

Having driven around Bunbury in depth on Tuesday it did seem very nice. It has a meth problem like many other places but I heard it's slightly higher in Bunbury. Maybe someone can clarify? I'd suggest you could drive to Bunbury in two hours from Perth but only at a quiet time, so two hours thirty is realistic. Again you need to be realistic in terms of jobs, it's not easy to advise on an area when we don't know what type of job you are looking for!

Meth problem......? Really that sounds scary as will have teenager in tow.

Hubby is in facilities management and I'm main visa applicant as child care centre manager, 489 visa.

Meth problem......? Really that sounds scary as will have teenager in tow.

Hubby is in facilities management and I'm main visa applicant as child care centre manager, 489 visa.

You'll hear Mandurah and Rockingham have issues as well. To be honest there's issues all over Australia, but Bunbury have a bigger rap than others for some reason. I'd like to think there is more education over the use of meth now but there are still a lot of people who use unfortunately.

You'll hear Mandurah and Rockingham have issues as well. To be honest there's issues all over Australia, but Bunbury have a bigger rap than others for some reason. I'd like to think there is more education over the use of meth now but there are still a lot of people who use unfortunately.
I don't think meth was around when I was going through my drug taking phase. But from what I've heard it is highly addictive and destructive.

WA as a new kid on the rock block, it's called bath tub. Named because it's made in the tub using items found in the bathroom a derivative of crack very worrying times.

Although Sydney house prices should curtail much interest in that city. 6% more expensive than London, I believe. Not letting Perth off the hook though, by any means. This town remains some 6% (oddly) more expensive than Sydney.

House prices, while supposedly declining 7% are still vastly over priced IMO in Perth. Rents are becoming a far better deal. Do what my accountant is in the process of doing. Sell your $1.2 plus house and rent. Crunch the figures and they stuck up.

Plenty of evidence of downturn in Perth. Office space galore on the market for rent in West Perth. Fremantle and Subiaco among many others have shops empty and don't appear to be takers for rent. (rents far too high, I know a hairdresser in Leederville that shut up shop in the centre here more than a year ago and works from home, saving huge over heads)

Work is difficult to find, but Perth may well reinvent itself as a centre for retirement over coming years. There is still a lot of baggage to be swept out that inflicted this town during ' the excess years'.

Hopefully the dog eat dog mentality will dissipate over time and a more caring, less hyped up, money focused with loud displays of ostentatious displays of wealth materialises. Or could it be a case of dream, on we are what we are?

I have done away with all the bullshit here in the u.k .....speaking to some lads I know ,giving it the "big one " is bloody expensive .

I don't know how some sleep at night ...a mate who's outgoings are £67,000 a month .....and another with a new growing business who's outgoings are £100,000 a month ....all the bullshit of big house ...cars etc ...can be very expensive

Although Sydney house prices should curtail much interest in that city. 6% more expensive than London, I believe. Not letting Perth off the hook though, by any means. This town remains some 6% (oddly) more expensive than Sydney.

House prices, while supposedly declining 7% are still vastly over priced IMO in Perth. .

Plenty of evidence of downturn in Perth.

Work is difficult to find

Perth may well reinvent itself as a centre for retirement over coming years.

Great post and sums up Perth in a nutshell.

Fake, False, Overpriced, Overvalued and a bubble that has well and truly burst.

As far as it being a retirement centre, you hit the nail on the head, it already has the reputation of being most isolated town and biggest retirement village in the world.

if we were young again, knew what we knew and were absolutely intent on migrating somewhere out of Britain, we would be trying to migrate to America or somewhere with a bit of vibe about it.

Bunbury .....????? I would not wish Bunbury on my worst enemy !!

Perth is dull and sleepy but fliiping eck, Bunbury is about as depressing as it can get, miles away from anything.

Mandurah is slightly better, at least you can get to the edge of Perth and stuck in your first traffic jam in Como easily in under one hour and a half.

If you absolutely have to migrate to WA, get right into Perth to the inner city suburbs

You should be picking property up there for a song over the next few years, so why move away out in the sticks to those remote semi vacated transit camp suburbs with no facilities.

Before you go, make sure you get a job first. Work is very hard to come by.

I have done away with all the bullshit here in the u.k .....speaking to some lads I know ,giving it the "big one " is bloody expensive .

I don't know how some sleep at night ...a mate who's outgoings are £67,000 a month .....and another with a new growing business who's outgoings are £100,000 a month ....all the bullshit of big house ...cars etc ...can be very expensive

What! 100,000 quid a month. :shocked: Different world to the one I live/lived in.

Unless I've lost track here on who's posting the person going to Bunbury is on a 489 visa and is a Child Care Centre manager - personally in that position I would go much further south - Bussleton & Margaret River are wonderful, Albany and Denmark worth considering too. Anywhere South of Bussleton is nice as far as I know, these are the places people in Perth go to for holidays. I remember our first trip to Margs, my mum probably already knowing what I wasn't admitting to myself that Perth was a bit meh and asked why we didn't move there - the answer was simple 'work' but as a child care manager you can really work anywhere.

I presume you chose Bunbury because it is the first 'big' town in regional WA but although technically doable in a day, a 5 hour return trip is not something you'd do often and I would trade that for a much nicer place to live.

An awful lot of my friends in Perth were dreaming of the time they could retire 'down south' - one Family moved to Margaret River (& could have pretty much chosen anywhere as they were seriously rich), another bought land inland from Dunsborough with plans to build an eco holiday village, another with a second home in Walpole.

If I could live in South West Australia I might just move back!

Personal choices will always make for debate. Personally we love bunbury and beyond so much better than inner city crawl. Why live inner city when most inner cities are much and the same anyway?

Great post and sums up Perth in a nutshell.

Fake, False, Overpriced, Overvalued and a bubble that has well and truly burst.

As far as it being a retirement centre, you hit the nail on the head, it already has the reputation of being most isolated town and biggest retirement village in the world.

if we were young again, knew what we knew and were absolutely intent on migrating somewhere out of Britain, we would be trying to migrate to America or somewhere with a bit of vibe about it.

You don't sound so happy :-(