Warning, Warning. Do NOT move to Perth.

Parley

50 minutes ago, Evandale said:

For a young man new to Australia fresh from the Uk of land and honey, discos and women in abundance Perth might be boring for the minority ... different ball game for "many" people who want to settle in a relatively new city with a good infrastructure with their family, buying a home etc... having less flying time to Europe as opposed to the east!

If its booze and boobs one is seeking there are plenty of more 'choice' places than the 'goldfish tank' scenario too often found in Perth. Young Aussies galore move on from Perth to greener pastures. Depends on where you are used to graze I suppose.

Well you can't actually just hand the keys in as in England. Debt will be chased to be paid. But I agree paying for over priced assets in a declining market, is hardly a sensible thing to do. I'm afraid plenty have been, or will discover they have been shafted by brokers and loans obtained over the course of time.

On 23/08/2017 at 09:56, Pura Vida said:

It these days goes beyond a love hate relationship to one of feasibility. Moving is a very expensive operation to say the least. Some folk do like to know or be aware of possible pit falls after forking out so much. Those minted can of course take it on the chin and return or move away. Moving across Australia is hardly a cheap operation either though.

So where would you recommend migrants settle?

12 hours ago, Toots said:

Anywhere on the planet except Australia and especially Perth is probably his answer to your query. :cool:

Actually no. I do wish people would get an understanding of the issues at stake.Australia has been and remains a prime migration country. You really should read with a little more depth into my comments. I am not anti immigration. In fact quite the contrary. What I am not is pro the present policy of record immigration and excessive back door immigration through the badly flawed 457 and Working Holiday and Student Visa.

Without immigration from far and wide, Australia would be far much the poorer, here I'm not talking about economy.  What I refer to is importing the greatest number of people into the country probably ever, where most settle into two cities.

There is nothing in the world wrong with a return to previous norms of 80,000 a year at all. Perth certainly does not require above normal migration. But that has largely taken care of itself due to falling job opportunities. But even in this state, I'd encourage more to settle into regional centres, where people are really needed. But sadly there are few jobs.

12 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

So where would you recommend migrants settle?

Your asking my advise? It depends. From a British context what sort of migrant are we talking about? An intellectual migrant, (ie, not reliant on trade skills or unskilled work)I personally (and did) go with a fellow European country. (If restricted or too lazy to learn a language possibly USA)If an economic migrant then obviously where the economy appears best at any given moment. (There was a time British construction workers for example worked in Germany) But then there is always the option of staying home and attempting to improve situation  in an familiar environment or within the nation of birth.Perth would not fulfil that criteria at this point in time IMHO.