Warning, Warning. Do NOT move to Perth.

Parley

5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

All this earning too much is a relative term isn't it. My eldest has been working FIFO as an electrician/instrument technician for a few years now. For the last 18 months he's been on a 4 weeks on 1 off swing, 10 hour days. He gets up at 4:00am to go the the gym. By the time he's finished work, has something to eat he's tired and goes to bed.

Fair enough he's been well paid, travelled, had long periods off work and done things, been places that other people his age (27) could only dream of. 

If you break it down to hourly rate though it's not fantastically high. I get more hourly than he does, working in Perth and being home every night. He's single though and loves travelling so do it while he's young I reckon.

If you're going to bring wages into it start with the bankers and the million dollar bonuses. That's what needs to change.

Well yes Paul, bonuses certainly should be culled. But the constant boom/bust scenario long associated with WA is hardly beneficial. Some punters were claiming that scenario was over as the last 'boom' that created a degree of havoc in this state would last a generation, with ever increasing standards of living. Clearly it wouldn't have benefited all, but the fallacy of such assumptions are now clear to see.  It created a darn expensive state with declining means and far more division.

17 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

i asked you this before paul ...whats the hourly rate ?

because to me ,if you are living and working up in the desert , They better be bloody paying you well .

I have a family member that does it ....his hours and working situations wouldn't be allowed in Europe .

As far as I'm concerned mate they deserve every penny. It's a young single mans game for sure. It's let my son have a fantastic life whilst he's young but he works hard for it. He is off back to Darwin today for another 4 weeks. 

To be fair the unions fought for decent wages, safety, living conditions and pay. Otherwise if it was left to Gina Rheinhart they would be employing Chinese on $10 a week.

I know there's been a lot said about the "boom" being over but unemployment was down to 5.4% this month and there's a terminal at the airport that just services FIFO. So there's work around and it's picking up.

17 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

there again , I have just got back from Milan , lugano , lake come and lake Maggiore ....there is no comparison .

it would be bunbury for me if I was in oz ...margaret river would keep me occupied for a couple of days ...but live there 24/7 365 ...when I have Europe on the doorstep ..no chance

Sounds nice Bunbury. Hope you had a good time.

As far as I'm concerned though I live in a place that is the equal of any of them with nice weather for the most part. I'm lucky in that I love most of the things that living here provides. We are off to Bali in a couple of weeks and as much as I'll enjoy it I'll be wishing I had my surf ski and paddle board with me.

I know a lot of people go on about how good it is to have Europe on the doorstep and all that BS but in reality, if you're lucky and can afford it it's usually a couple of weeks in Spain.

I know one of the drivers for us to emigrate was we were newly married with our first mortgage and child, both working and we couldn't afford to get out of the UK. That summer wad horrible weather and it wasn't looking like we'd be any better off for a while. We just started thinking is this as good as it gets?

Thought we may as well go and live somewhere where they had at least decent summers.

Maybe would have gone to Portugal or Greece as we loved those places but then there's the language barrier and job worries.

Ah well mate, doesn't suit everyone I know but we are happy with our lot.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wa7 said:

FIFO is a big con imo.

Few years back got into a discussion with a few lads who do it and thought it was great money.

Long story short, I would earn the same if not a bit more if I worked every other weekend and that's doing a 6 - 8 hour day and get to go home every night. 

Depends what you do. All the stories anout toilet cleaners earning $150K were just stories but my Son earns a lot more than if he worked in Perth. He knows as he's done both and wouldn't be doing FIFO if it wasn't worth it.

I saw his first weeks salary and it was 4 grand plus net for a week. Admittedly he worked a long weekend in Darwin for that so got double time for Sunday, Monday. Lets him save up though.

• Like 1

That's in the region of $250000 a year gross??( If not more ) thats great. ( I am presuming gets paid on the week off )

i suppose we all put a different value on being home every night and not all would get that sort of money.

Edited by Wa7
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wa7 said:

That's in the region of $250000 a year gross??( If not more ) thats great. ( I am presuming gets paid on the week off )

i suppose we all put a different value on being home every night and not all would get that sort of money.

He gets an hourly rate when he's working. Not salaried.

You're right not everyone gets that type of money. Depends what project who you work for, what you do and what your experience and quals are.

He's spent loads over the years doing courses, he has a 4 year apprenticeship behind him, got some good experience and has instrumentation qualfications too. So like having dual trades. He has a good work ethic too, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to swap jobs quite so easily.

1 minute ago, Paul1Perth said:

He gets an hourly rate when he's working. Not salaried.

You're right not everyone gets that type of money. Depends what project who you work for, what you do and what your experience and quals are.

He's spent loads over the years doing courses, he has a 4 year apprenticeship behind him, got some good experience and has instrumentation qualfications too. So like having dual trades. He has a good work ethic too, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to swap jobs quite so easily.

Sounds like a baby boomer to mexD

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Sounds nice Bunbury. Hope you had a good time.

As far as I'm concerned though I live in a place that is the equal of any of them with nice weather for the most part. I'm lucky in that I love most of the things that living here provides. We are off to Bali in a couple of weeks and as much as I'll enjoy it I'll be wishing I had my surf ski and paddle board with me.

I know a lot of people go on about how good it is to have Europe on the doorstep and all that BS but in reality, if you're lucky and can afford it it's usually a couple of weeks in Spain.

I know one of the drivers for us to emigrate was we were newly married with our first mortgage and child, both working and we couldn't afford to get out of the UK. That summer wad horrible weather and it wasn't looking like we'd be any better off for a while. We just started thinking is this as good as it gets?

Thought we may as well go and live somewhere where they had at least decent summers.

Maybe would have gone to Portugal or Greece as we loved those places but then there's the language barrier and job worries.

Ah well mate, doesn't suit everyone I know but we are happy with our lot.

I have Europe on the doorstep , the real europe .

Prague ,berlin ,Paris , lucerne , Innsbruck , Rome ,and i have made it my mission to see them all ,and some .

we are only here once ,so for me , for my girls to see al of that as well , is a bonus .

The youngest has seen Venice ,four times , she isn't 18 yet .

its called experience on the life c.v .

they can now go off and do their own thing , with all that in the bank .

sort , but their is no comparison .

my children have Aussie passports .

one day they might decide to us them

Really FIFO is by a large a mugs game. While fine when young, it is nothing long term. It has been shown in fact to cause substantial harm. From family break up to severe mental anguish and rather high risks of self harm.

The pay rates in many areas has declined from peak times, but that industry is hardly alone in restructuring and lowering conditions where able. The Unions are definitely, for all their faults, worth membership, just to get the legal side of things abided by, as certain CEO's attempt to ride rough shot over legalities, in the hope it won't be noticed.

I'm not sure either country matters greatly, apart from obvious accessibility to Europe living in UK, or Asian region in Australia. It is more a matter how one travels. Easy enough to travel and remain as dumb, even more so than one who hasn't, but has swotted up on the outside world. Just calling out a pile of countries visited is somewhat meaningless in itself.

1 minute ago, Pura Vida said:

Really FIFO is by a large a mugs game. While fine when young, it is nothing long term. It has been shown in fact to cause substantial harm. From family break up to severe mental anguish and rather high risks of self harm.

The pay rates in many areas has declined from peak times, but that industry is hardly alone in restructuring and lowering conditions where able. The Unions are definitely, for all their faults, worth membership, just to get the legal side of things abided by, as certain CEO's attempt to ride rough shot over legalities, in the hope it won't be noticed.

I'm not sure either country matters greatly, apart from obvious accessibility to Europe living in UK, or Asian region in Australia. It is more a matter how one travels. Easy enough to travel and remain as dumb, even more so than one who hasn't, but has swotted up on the outside world. Just calling out a pile of countries visited is somewhat meaningless in itself.

Best keep away from it then hey! leave it to others

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Keith and Linda said:

Best keep away from it then hey! leave it to others

Even better. Get a clear a picture as possible, that will allow punters a fuller picture of the reality. Many are on a Cloud 9 of high expectation, meaning they will only take on board how they prefer to see it,anyway or more the case, how they hope to find it.

It these days goes beyond a love hate relationship to one of feasibility. Moving is a very expensive operation to say the least. Some folk do like to know or be aware of possible pit falls after forking out so much. Those minted can of course take it on the chin and return or move away. Moving across Australia is hardly a cheap operation either though.

• Like 1

Did PB migrate or was he on a WHV?

We lived in Perth from Nov 1982 until March 1986.  I thought it was a lovely clean city and I also liked the climate.  Friends and family who visited us from the UK thought the same.  Our sons were born there so I wasn't fussed about any sort of nightlife at the time.  I do know that when we moved to Sydney it took me a while to get used to the much larger city and noise.   I've been back to Perth only a couple of times since then but I still think it's a very nice city.

21 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

Even better. Get a clear a picture as possible, that will allow punters a fuller picture of the reality. Many are on a Cloud 9 of high expectation, meaning they will only take on board how they prefer to see it,anyway or more the case, how they hope to find it.

Sometimes 'punters' have to find out for themselves.  There are enough people on this forum warning everybody just what Perth is like if they care to look at those threads.  True enough, some of them are going to find out the hard way but others may settle down just fine.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toots said:

Sometimes 'punters' have to find out for themselves.  There are enough people on this forum warning everybody just what Perth is like if they care to look at those threads.  True enough, some of them are going to find out the hard way but others may settle down just fine.  

For those that do 'settle down just fine', they won't be perturbed then. Immigration is massive business these days and fraught with opposing sides. Most mean well, but it is a business with little care if the individual sinks or swims.

I suspect the 'convinced' will only tend to believe the info posted on here that they wish. It is those tossing the throw, perhaps wanting to search out all sides of the coin, that may just strike something of significance to further their decision.

Australia is hardly the migrant country of old, when things generally were easier for most. Even then as many as a third I believe returned.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Good for you, I am in the opposite camp as many are.

For a young man new to Australia fresh from the Uk of land and honey, discos and women in abundance Perth might be boring for the minority ... different ball game for "many" people who want to settle in a relatively new city with a good infrastructure with their family, buying a home etc... having less flying time to Europe as opposed to the east!

On 23 August 2017 at 16:40, Parley said:

Someone can always quit if they get sick of it.

As long as they haven't got carried away with the $$$$$ and financially over committed on a house, cars or both etc, then realised this is no fun for the next few years.

Of course they could just quit and hand the keys back, probably wasn't the plan though.