Differences between England and Australia what do you miss?. Food, people, education etc

Mmirfin

Hello everyone,

My husband, two boys (3 and 7 months) dog and I are currently in the process of waiting to see if we have our PR visa... (immi says finalized but not heard anything of yet) .. we plan to move to Richmond if granted the visa and I just wanted to know the differences and what people miss about England to Australia..

Im a major foody so would be interested to know what Is different or what people miss not having! Iv heard cheese isn't the same... I love cheese!

Not just wanting to know about food... anything else anyone can think of too. Education, people etc

also anything that people think is much better in Australia than England.

with having young ones using nappies etc any child products advice would be ideal too thanks everyone x

Hello, Having been living both countries on and off i can give you a little insight.

Food: Cooked deli meat in Oz usually has some processing to it but cured meats are sensational. Ham as we know it (gammon) is called pickled pork and very hard to come by. Olives and cheeses are fine. Olives are much better in Oz. There are many good cheese makers and imports. Fresh fruits and veggies are often seasonal in Oz are are priced as such. They are mostly local and all shapes and sizes. There is also an abundance of choice and great asian produce. I find the UK choice limited. Spices and oils are again great in Oz. Wine and wineries are also great (also tastes great in the sun;).

Education is much of muchness but primary is somewhat less stressful in Oz and more play based. Lots of outdoor play areas. My kids all enjoyed primary schools in the Oz. Sports clubs are also much more abundant in Oz with more variety however, they are costly, a soccer club can cost up to $350 a season compared to a few pound subs a week in the UK.

Cost wise, think of Oz being a third more expensive but this runs in line with higher salaries. Expect to pay of school things. Healthcare is great in Oz. You can get most things done on Medicare and bulk billed if you look out for the bulk billing practices and services. The bonus is the waiting time is almost nil compared to the UK which is forever. A blood test can be done in a morning compared to a three week wait in the UK.

Just relax go and have a great time. Food stuff, just get into what the Ozzies like and you'll be fine. Outdoors aren't as green or as pretty but that's what sunshine does. They bring babies up in Oz so you'll find things for babies too ;)

Good luck xx

The main thing that I missed was daylight. It gets dark much earlier in Australia, no long summer nights, even in summer it was getting dark by 7.30pm. I guess it would stay light for a bit longer in the winter, but I would still be at work anyway so wouldn't feel that benefit.

Food and stuff, well it is different and I would say slightly less choice of produce but I wouldn't go so far as to say I miss it, I can't see th repoint in missing foods, just adapt. I will never understand why people will pack their suitcases with their favourite biscuits or get food parcels or whatever.

:smile:

I agree with the above poster that Medicare is an absolute joy compared to the NHS. So easy to use, no queues, no waiting around, less beurocracy. Expect to pay for some things at the point of use - it isn't always possible to find bulk billing and to be honest I always understood this is intended for people on low incomes so I did not seek it out.

I enjoyed the work place in Sydney more than workplaces in London. Found it much friendlier and more time was spent on networking, it was quite normal to just go out for coffee with someone, to spend time developing work relationships, in London it can be heads down bum up all day. That should not be tqken to mean that everyone clocks off early to go to the beach however, on the contrary! Working hours and leave entitlements are likely to be less favourable.

Food wise, Australia isn't dominated by chains like UK so a bit more interesting. At the fine dining end it probably isn't as flash however and service more laid back. Going out for breakfast is a big thing, get used to eating a lot of avocado.

Food wise, Australia isn't dominated by chains like UK so a bit more interesting. At the fine dining end it probably isn't as flash however and service more laid back. Going out for breakfast is a big thing, get used to eating a lot of avocado.

And beetroot. I was amazed at th popularity of beetroot.

Hi Mmirfin

It's hard to say what people miss or what's better as it's different for everyone, and everyone tends to go on a bit of a journey over time as well, these things are very personal and emotional and as such, completely subjective.

I've just been back to the UK for 3 weeks (first time in 3 years) and this time it felt like coming back to Australia was coming "home". We had a wonderful time and it was fantastic to catch up with people, but we were ready to come back. The trip also confirmed to me that whilst I'd happily live in the UK again, it would need to be in a rural area and not be tied to London (especially) or indeed any form of big city commuting which is what I used to do. We stayed with friends in Shropshire and it was heavenly - love that whole Welsh Borders area.

So - what do we miss? Mostly friends and family. Family (esp parents) is the big one to us as both sets are pretty old now and won't be around for ever. There's an element of selfishness in emigrating anywhere that one needs to deal with, as for us we simply won't be physically present in their final years. Friends we miss but in the modern world it's easy to keep in touch with a little effort and this time we certainly came back knowing we would be seeing these people again in a couple of years or so, and more of them seem determined to make the effort to come out for a holiday as well.

As time goes on we miss other things about the UK much less, not because we don't like them any more, but because the odd trip back confirms they're all still there and what we have in Australia is different rather than particularly better or worse. So I focus more on what I love in the UK rather than what I miss when in Australia, if you see what I mean.

Examples, when in the UK, I love :

• The millions of km of rights of way (footpaths etc) that crisscross the whole of the UK and the wonderful OS maps that show them. My wife couldn't give a stuff about this ;-)
  • British pubs. The number and cosiness of them and the range of beer they serve
  • Historic towns, just the atmosphere
  • Decent curries
  • That particular shade of green you get from Field Maple, Ash, Hazel
  • The closeness of Europe and a stack of places to visit all completely diverse
  • Frenetic business energy and edginess of London. A true global city and economic powerhouse
  • Long summer evenings, light from 4am to 10pm
  • Business practices and approach to innovation and change

When in Australia, I love:

• Fantastic amount of sunshine and the positive outlook it engenders (It does a rain a lot here but it's much more concentrated and there are far fewer grey, overcast days)
  • Sense and feeling of space, you're away from the major cities pretty damn fast when you want to be
  • The seemingly limitless expanse of unbelievably beautiful coast
  • Fresh seasonal produce
  • Casual dining cafes/restaurants, the range and general quality
  • Sydney harbour, the city's setting is fantastic
  • General friendliness and openness in shops etc
  • The accessibility, range, number and cost of sporting facilities and clubs for both kids and adults
  • Going out for breakfast

As for a few of your specifics: There is great cheese here, although the range is a bit more limited as you don't get nearly so much imported cheese, and the range is much more limited in supermarkets. Use delis, and this is pretty easy because every shopping centre will have at least one. I agree with Siblin that fresh fruit/veg is often seasonal - much more so than the UK. Again it's because there are far fewer imports. Healthcare I agree is great. I really like the funding system here, it feels more fair than in the UK (people who can afford to pay are expected to) and there seems much less pressure on healthcare resources. Baby products, almost all the ones you know are here, these are international products although brandnames might be different (eg Aptamil formula is sold here as Karicare)

Education I think you can be lucky or unlucky in either country and its so much down to the individual child and the school(s) and whether they fit with them. Primary here seems less stressful, partly because if you live in catchment then you're in, none of that "apply and keep your fingers crossed" stuff. High schools a bit different, a much higher percentage of people here go private at that age, partly because private schools also get govt funding so the fees are cheaper. Public high schools, there are good and bad ones same as at home

I quite like Richmond, it has a few rough edges and it's very much a "country town" feel although it might look on the map like it's almost part of Sydney. The escape from there into the Blue Mountains up the beautiful Bells Line of Road is very quick and easy. Be warned, it can get pretty hot there in summer and cold in winter, the climate is much more extreme than more coastal areas of Sydney (you'd be amazed how different it can be in only 30 or 40km) so pick your house well if you can.

Edited by northshorepom

Guest The Pom Queen
And beetroot. I was amazed at th popularity of beetroot.

Lol yes, if you get a burger expect it to come with mountains of salad including grated carrot, cheese and Beetroot.

That when an Aussie is excited to take u to see an amazing creek or waterfall (usually walking miles n miles) and it's just a dribble of water (or none at all) n your standing thinking there was better waterfalls/creeks in your garden or town in the U.K. Lol

Edited by xxlornaxx

Just thought of one thing that is unavoidably different on the food front: seafood

Most species are different and some that are common in European fisheries/cuisine (herring, mackerel, sea bass, trout, Atlantic cod) are rare or absent

OTOH, there are loads of other species that are much more common in shops - lots of different types of crabs, great squid, snapper, barramundi, kingfish etc

I do miss a good kipper :-)

Edited by northshorepom

sainsburys, oh how id love to walk around sainsburys i miss their baguettes.

mozzarella ball for like 60p

missing premier league football is a hard one for me AFL just wont do it

family

friends

like a good costa

british fish and chips

history- i seemed to be more intrigued about our countries history after i left

television- we dont have foxtel yet but im hoping it matches sky because normal tv isnt great

but on the upside 32 degrees in perth today so we are off to the beach.

Richmond? It's a bit out of the way and too far from the Coast for my liking. I don't think there's much in the way of fine dining without travelling quite a way. There's very limited public transport around there so you would be driving everywhere.

Roads into Sydney from Richmond are a nightmare.

I love Melbourne fish and chips. My usual order is a piece of Flake (shark), a couple dim sims, a chiko roll, a couple of potato cakes and chips. Regarding sport, AFL is a much more spectacular and entertaining game than football - the season has just finished and I am going through withdrawals already. Melbourne has the world's best coffee. Melbourne is an events city - there's always something happening. All of this may be irrelevant if it's not the Richmond in Victoria where you are going - I know there's a also a Richmond in NSW.

Sausages in Australia are shocking & predominately are beef - even when we've bought an 'English sausage' they've not tasted quite as nice! Beef & lamb are a lot cheaper here than at home so that's a bonus. I did miss Yorkshire puddings until I realised you can buy yummy frozen ones in Coles! Service in restaurants is generally quite laid back...even in fine dining restaurants they will clear plates before everybody in the group has finished eating! Breakfast is massive here & so are avocados!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apart from the amazing wildlife & fab scenery & beaches etc one practical difference in oz i love is having electrical sockets in the bathroom. even though i have been here several years i still enjoy plugging my hairdryer & straightener in to finish getting ready in the bathroom. still in the bathroom i love the showers in oz as well. they are the proper job & the water pressure is to die for. i also adore having a big seperate laundry room instead of having to do laundry in the kitchen. my laundry room alone is half the size of our flat in the uk was & its wonderful :)

it rains in oz more than people think but its not such a problem because you dont tend to get endless days of grey skies with drizzling rain. when it rains it really rains but then the blue sky & sun comes back. we have little children & the great weather means we spend most of our time outdoors. there are lots of free bbq's at the beach & parks with gazebo huts & tables which is lovely. everyone seems to take care of them as well so they stay in working order & are nice to use.

one big difference i noticed was that people tend to entertain at home rather than go to the pub. the houses in oz are generally a lot bigger so i guess that makes it easier to have people over. usually children are invited as well which is nice as we like to do things as a family. thats not to say people dont go out but they are more likely to go to a cafe for breakfast or brunch than to a pub.

No idea if relevant to OP but without a doubt the ease of going out in London compared to OZ. Regardless of day of week. The lack of social activities here also, partly because of the non existent pub culture, which like most things has been changed on its head over the decades.

The lack of reliable public transport for many, making a car essential for many and the great distances involved, often to get anywhere, impacts on social relations as well.

One cannot compare the nature which is vastly superior in Australia or the ever expansive coffee culture, which came out of nowhere over the past few decades. Hardly cheap though, going out tends to be on the expensive side.

Richmond? It's a bit out of the way and too far from the Coast for my liking. I don't think there's much in the way of fine dining without travelling quite a way. There's very limited public transport around there so you would be driving everywhere.

Roads into Sydney from Richmond are a nightmare.

I dunno, bit harsh Paul

It's on the train line, half hourly trains to Sydney but they stop a lot so quite slow. Roads aren't that bad - Richmond Rd isn't that busy, and that takes you to the M7 which is then motorway all the way to the bridge. It's a slowish journey mainly because it's quite a long way (must be 50km to the CBD) rather than the roads being particularly poor.

Tolls would get a bit salty on a daily basis mind

Thanks everyone for replying its been really interesting reading your posts! we choose to go to richmond NSW as we already have family there... we received the amazing news this morning our visa has been granted! im so happy to be able to start a new life and have a more outdoorsy lifestyle as thats what we love... When i told my 3 year old we were going to move to australia his response was a huge scream and "we going to australia thats where nemo and dory live!" although i know we will be a journey from the coast however i am from the south west and love the countryside however my husband is a city boy in the north whos always wanted to live "in the middle of no where" australia is a dream come true! it will be an adventure for us all. so any advice and info would be a great help! food tends to be a small issue with my 3 year old as he has a dairy allergy so eating out is normally a no go anyway and trying to find a dairy free milk that he would drink was very difficult in finding. im mostly intrigued by what people miss and love about england and australia its interesting to see peoples opinions and views and to get a better picture of what it is like. I live over 250 miles away from my family and friends at this moment and get to see them about 5 times a year travel down on fri evening and leave sunday morning... no time at all really.. so im used to being away from them and i do think if they came to visit for 2 weeks of a year thats probably more quallity time that what we get now as we are always so exhausted from travelling for 5/6 hours x

Oh my god I'm SO happy someone else misses kippers!!! Air tight packaged kippers with a bit of lemon from asda's for a few quid. Yummy! :D

Oh can i just say to the OP, i work in the deli department of a certain supermarket and some of the fresh chicken items we get in..."heaves"....yeah, go buy from a butchers. Cheaper and tastes like ACTUAL juicy chicken, not a manky, rubber piece of chicken that fell from out of a tramps pocket.

:D

Just thought of one thing that is unavoidably different on the food front: seafood

Most species are different and some that are common in European fisheries/cuisine (herring, mackerel, sea bass, trout, Atlantic cod) are rare or absent

OTOH, there are loads of other species that are much more common in shops - lots of different types of crabs, great squid, snapper, barramundi, kingfish etc

I do miss a good kipper :-)

Thanks everyone for replying its been really interesting reading your posts! we choose to go to richmond NSW as we already have family there... we received the amazing news this morning our visa has been granted! im so happy to be able to start a new life and have a more outdoorsy lifestyle as thats what we love... When i told my 3 year old we were going to move to australia his response was a huge scream and "we going to australia thats where nemo and dory live!" although i know we will be a journey from the coast however i am from the south west and love the countryside however my husband is a city boy in the north whos always wanted to live "in the middle of no where" australia is a dream come true! it will be an adventure for us all. so any advice and info would be a great help! food tends to be a small issue with my 3 year old as he has a dairy allergy so eating out is normally a no go anyway and trying to find a dairy free milk that he would drink was very difficult in finding. im mostly intrigued by what people miss and love about england and australia its interesting to see peoples opinions and views and to get a better picture of what it is like. I live over 250 miles away from my family and friends at this moment and get to see them about 5 times a year travel down on fri evening and leave sunday morning... no time at all really.. so im used to being away from them and i do think if they came to visit for 2 weeks of a year thats probably more quallity time that what we get now as we are always so exhausted from travelling for 5/6 hours x

If you get visitors come for 2 weeks you'll be doing well. We quickly realised we had to put a time limit on some visitors, parents really, as they had ideas they might come for 3 months.

Problem is, for some reason everyone that comes seems to think everyone in Aus is loaded, just here to run a hotel and provide transport and sightseeing. They forget you have to go to work, pay the mortgage, pay for petrol, food, beer.