Just trying to work some stuff out.

LKC

Oh were you in Bury?! So was Daniel Watts!

Indeed I was @Quoll, and I think my heart still is/will always be. Lovely place, and I think thats why it makes it hard to settle here.

The opposite to @LKC experience, I was not settled here in Aus and pined for 'home' first holiday back for 3 years was in June this year and it was amazing, better than I had constantly dreamed of for 3 years, I had forgotten that feeling like you belong and familiar with an area...and it wasnt until i got back home suddenly felt different, less anxious, pressured, weight on my shoulders etc that I remembered what it felt like to be 'settled' the time flew and it just felt like i had never left, and our kids loved it (they were 3 and 1 when we left UK so not really know much other that Aus) and they still miss england now, 4 months after the holiday, although that could be the amount of ice-cream nanny bought them!

BUT for the time being, the holiday has given me the 'fix' i needed and has made me appreciate what we have here in Aus, for the time being. We are going to give it 1 year after the holiday (so july next year) and then decide....I cant say that in x months/years etc we will go but I know deep down that we will end up back in UK once we feel 'done' with our life here.

In the mean time, worse places to 'make do'

I hope it all works our for you @LKC

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, thank you for the reply. We're noticing that food shopping is cheaper. In fact I've started on a spreadsheet, comparing our usual Australian supermarket shop to a Tesco and Sainsburys one, and it does seem to be coming out cheaper for most things. Of course it is difficult to know what proportion of our monthly budget would be spent at the supermarket (so I can compare to Australia without the exchange rate getting in the way) until I look at things like potential salary after tax, car costs, utilities etc.

Noticeably cheaper for us, some things considerably cheaper and you just think how, how is it possible to be so much cheaper but it is. Utilities are also less. Car costs roughly the same, cheaper insurance and the equivalent of CTP but fuel more expensive so yeah roughly the same.

Noticeably cheaper for us, some things considerably cheaper and you just think how, how is it possible to be so much cheaper but it is. Utilities are also less. Car costs roughly the same, cheaper insurance and the equivalent of CTP but fuel more expensive so yeah roughly the same.

This is pretty much what we had thought. OH's smaller salary will stretch further, just as it did before!

I just got the 'online check-in' email from Singapore Air, which set the tears off again. If I could stay here with the kids and send OH over to Australia to sort everything out, I would. However, I know that our cats will need rabies vaccinations so that we can bring them, which will take a minimum of 6 months, plus we have to finish renovating the house/garden so that we can sell it more easily (there is lots to do there!), and OH needs to sell his business and find a job over here, so I will go back, and I will keep my chin up and put my head down and get on with the business of letting go of Australia.

I love Australia, it was everything and more that I dreamed of. But it isn't enough, and I want to come home.

With the state of the pound and coming from Sydney, if you have some equity in a house there it may be the best time ever to move home financially.

All the talk of this or that is cheaper is a bit pointless if earning 100k here and 30k there however. If you are earning less than half in pounds what you are in dollars I think Britain would be more expensive for day to day costs.

Are you still in scotland, which part? Maybe you'll change your mind once you get back to Australia but it sounds like you're quite certain that you dont want to live in aus forever

No, we've been in Kent for a week. We know we wouldn't want to move here, but I am filled with dread at the thought of going back to Aus on Wednesday.

With the state of the pound and coming from Sydney, if you have some equity in a house there it may be the best time ever to move home financially.

All the talk of this or that is cheaper is a bit pointless if earning 100k here and 30k there however. If you are earning less than half in pounds what you are in dollars I think Britain would be more expensive for day to day costs.

We pretty much own our Sydney home (small amount outstanding) plus will have the proceeds from the sale of OH's business, which obviously puts us in a great position. We'd possibly be able to afford a home outright plus one or maybe even two small holiday lets as an investment.

The salary thing is where I'm struggling tbh. He earns $70k per year as a salary but has a large bonus sometimes, which topped his before tax to $214k last year, but we pretty much spent all of that in day to day living costs plus our holiday to the UK. I certainly wouldn't consider that we are extravagant, although I don't work, which I suppose is extravagant. The bonus is very variable, and is profit related. In the July-Sept quarter this year, for example, he got $5000 which hardly even makes a dent in the bills when living on a $70k salary in Sydney. We have no idea what the next quarters bonus will be. Sometimes it is nothing, sometimes it is lots.

Edited by LKC

If you dont need a mortgage then that should help quite a lot. You can get a lot here compared to aus

Think you have it backwards. Sydney housing would be by far the greatest cost. With a much higher salary in Sydney than Uk they should be much better off here.

Personally I find I have much more money left over here but Brisbane housing much cheaper than Sydney. Too many variables really, I used to spend a big chunk of my wage on trains which are extortionate In the UK for peak travel.

Selling in Sydney should leave them mortgage free with nice house anywhere but London.

Hi @LKC just a quick one about the rabbies injection - I have rung the vets who are registered with Det of Agriculture in Australia to undertake these injections - 21 days is the minimum time before departure (not six months).

Also here is link from UK website.

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

Check out Department of Agriculture in Australia - the vet you use must be registered and approved to give rabbie injections - my local area doesn't have registered vet and we need to put cats in car for an hour drive (that will be a test for the flight).

I gave them a call and they gave me the link to the list of registered vets - of cause now I can't find it so I can give to you. Also they need to be wormed within 48hrs of getting on the plane. The pet transport company generally takes care of that as they need to present proof / documentation this was done.

Edited by suesmalls

No, we've been in Kent for a week. We know we wouldn't want to move here, but I am filled with dread at the thought of going back to Aus on Wednesday.

The problem with Kent and the south east is living expense. Particularly housing.

For example, we were in Berkshire and I earned £48k which allows us to rent a flat and after bills we struggled on that. Here in Scotland I earn £30k and rent a nice cottage and have plenty of disposable income left over - healthy amount saved each month and enough for living comfortably.

Hi @LKC just a quick one about the rabbies injection - I have rung the vets who are registered with Det of Agriculture in Australia to undertake these injections - 21 days is the minimum time before departure (not six months).

Also here is link from UK website.

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

Check out Department of Agriculture in Australia - the vet you use must be registered and approved to give rabbie injections - my local area doesn't have registered vet and we need to put cats in car for an hour drive (that will be a test for the flight).

I gave them a call and they gave me the link to the list of registered vets - of cause now I can't find it so I can give to you. Also they need to be wormed within 48hrs of getting on the plane. The pet transport company generally takes care of that as they need to present proof / documentation this was done.

Thank you for this information. I'd thought it was six months and hadn't realised you have to take them to specific vets. I'll check this out now.

It will be easier now that you know it is only going to be for a "holiday" - it's the "forever" departures that wrench your guts out. Just a little bit of reframing! Hang in, bawl your eyes out if necessary and start making plans!

We have been planning our move since we got back from our holiday to the UK at the end of July. We knew before we went that it would be the last time we would holiday there and that a move was imminent.

The house has been decorated and de cluttered and is now on the market. We have got quotes from removal companies and pet transport companies. In fact we are mentally packed and ready for the off!! Just the small matter of the house sale now.....[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info about the cats @suesmalls. I've had another look at the relevant UK and Australian websites and can see that it isn't as complicated as I thought. I got the idea that they'd have to have blood tests and things to make sure the vaccination had 'taken'. One of the vets listed is one no too far away from us, we have used them occasionally when our own vet has been closed. I know it's going to cost us a fortune, but I would not contemplate leaving our cats behind. They aren't therapy cats, but they do help my daughter feel calm if she is anxious, she seems to have something about her personality that the cats love, they all prefer her as their human!

Hi @Martinbjulieb - well done on getting the house sorted - we've been trying to declutter and garage sale for 5 months and it's really hard getting it all done. Because I know this is final it has different feel to when I'm just doing my never ending painting and gardening I'm doing. Just hired help from gumtree (cross fingers) to try and get us over this hump.

Who did you choose in the end for pet carrier? Dogtainers?

Best of luck with the house sale - hope you get good quick response on that.

:wink:

Hi @LKC great to hear you found out some info that made things a bit easier. The agreement between UK and Australia on pet transfer is much better now and means not at stressful on the paper work side (and no quarantine period).

It will cost a bit unfortunately but sounds like with your sale of house at least it's not out of the question. I think our cats are definitely therapy cats for us. They've just got awesome personalities and make us feel calm too. I'm glad your daughter loves the cats - I think it's great kids having pets, teaches them so many different things and shows compassion (a characteristic unfortunately not seen too much these days).

Best wishes with it all :yes:

Hi @Martinbjulieb - well done on getting the house sorted - we've been trying to declutter and garage sale for 5 months and it's really hard getting it all done. Because I know this is final it has different feel to when I'm just doing my never ending painting and gardening I'm doing. Just hired help from gumtree (cross fingers) to try and get us over this hump.

Who did you choose in the end for pet carrier? Dogtainers?

Best of luck with the house sale - hope you get good quick response on that.

:wink:

Thanks! It's been hard work. Yes, we are going with Dogtainers. [emoji190]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info about the cats @suesmalls. I've had another look at the relevant UK and Australian websites and can see that it isn't as complicated as I thought. I got the idea that they'd have to have blood tests and things to make sure the vaccination had 'taken'. One of the vets listed is one no too far away from us, we have used them occasionally when our own vet has been closed. I know it's going to cost us a fortune, but I would not contemplate leaving our cats behind. They aren't therapy cats, but they do help my daughter feel calm if she is anxious, she seems to have something about her personality that the cats love, they all prefer her as their human!

I would appoint your shipper before you get the immunisations. The reason being is when we were waiting at Heathrow there were a family waiting / trying to collect their cat, but the vet had made a small error in the paperwork and it was looking like the cat may be refused entry. It doesn't cost anymore to appoint them early and that way they will oversee all the paperwork.

We used dogtainers who were excellent.

Also, it lets you consider flight options as there can be good reason for not having them on the same flight as you.

Thanks @VERYSTORMY goodness that story brought a tear to my eye, can you imagine how stressed you would be due to an administrative blip. I hope logic prevailed and they didn't be ridiculous and potentially cause extreme stress on the cat and family. I think I would have done an absolute hissy fit and the army would have been called.

That is good advice and appreciate it. I know OP has booked their shipping through other posts so seems they'll be ok too - but I'm sure they'll read this and double check now. Didn't know order so great to hear, thanks.

We pretty much own our Sydney home (small amount outstanding) plus will have the proceeds from the sale of OH's business, which obviously puts us in a great position. We'd possibly be able to afford a home outright plus one or maybe even two small holiday lets as an investment.

The salary thing is where I'm struggling tbh. He earns $70k per year as a salary but has a large bonus sometimes, which topped his before tax to $214k last year, but we pretty much spent all of that in day to day living costs plus our holiday to the UK. I certainly wouldn't consider that we are extravagant, although I don't work, which I suppose is extravagant. The bonus is very variable, and is profit related. In the July-Sept quarter this year, for example, he got $5000 which hardly even makes a dent in the bills when living on a $70k salary in Sydney. We have no idea what the next quarters bonus will be. Sometimes it is nothing, sometimes it is lots.

I think the salary question would give me pause. He makes a massive amount of money by any measure - the equivalent of 133,000 pounds. If you spent all of that on living, and your house is almost paid off, how will you go if your income is only 30,000 pounds?? Thats less than 1/4 of your current income. I know you have talked about rental properties but they are often fraught with expenses. I worry about my own standard of living dropping when I (eventually) get home - and I will go form making $85,000 to about 35,000 pounds. I think you need to thoroughly look in to your expected take home pay in the UK and what your expenses will be, particularly with a family.

I think the salary question would give me pause. He makes a massive amount of money by any measure - the equivalent of 133,000 pounds. If you spent all of that on living, and your house is almost paid off, how will you go if your income is only 30,000 pounds?? Thats less than 1/4 of your current income. I know you have talked about rental properties but they are often fraught with expenses. I worry about my own standard of living dropping when I (eventually) get home - and I will go form making $85,000 to about 35,000 pounds. I think you need to thoroughly look in to your expected take home pay in the UK and what your expenses will be, particularly with a family.

That might be £133k at current exchange rates but that is not a sensible comparison, if it were then September last year you would have said "that is like a salary of £97k" and even a few months ago you would have said "that is like a salary of £115k". Big difference. It certainly would be a big drop down to £30k though if that is what OP said though.

As to yourself, I think you will find the buying power of $85k much the same as £35k. Both a touch higher than national averages, perhaps slightly worse off in UK but not by much and depends where you will move to specifically.

Anyways, if you want to go you want to go. I spent a couple of years in a tax free country earning about US$500k between me and the OH. But we (me mainly) weren't happy. Moved back and I had to take a sabbatical to recover so we lived on one salary a fraction of what we previously earned but did not regret it for even one second. Life is too short.

We have more disposable income here. I know that flies in the face of opinion on here but I'm not alone in that, other people I know have too. I get 150k a year here, I got, and will get, about 40K in the UK. That's not stopping me wanting to move back but it's not a foregone that people are better off in the UK, no chance.

I believe I will be in similar position that I will earn considerably more in Australia than I potentially will in England - as I've never lived in England I can't say how far it will go and most claim it does go further in England. But I will be earning over half as much when I finally do move there. It is a concern, but as this move for us is about family the financial side is not taking a precedence - rightly or wrongly.

We have more disposable income here. I know that flies in the face of opinion on here but I'm not alone in that, other people I know have too. I get 150k a year here, I got, and will get, about 40K in the UK. That's not stopping me wanting to move back but it's not a foregone that people are better off in the UK, no chance.

Like I said on another thread, so much depends on where you moved to and what profession you're in.

When I migrated, practically everyone could expect a better salary and a cheaper cost of living in Australia. The cost of housing is sky high in some parts of Australia now, and salaries haven't kept up. But there's still plenty of places where housing is affordable, and there are still a few occupations which pay better in Australia than in the UK. Put those two together and I'm sure there are some people who have much better disposable incomes than they did in the UK. On the other hand, you'll find plenty of people in high-priced cities like Sydney who are doing it tough.