"Free movement of peoples" between the UK and Oz?

Roberta2

The local beaches where I grew up were all lovely sand - no pebbles.

..........I like the pebble beaches TBH.....

..........I remember many years ago visiting Mudeford beach.....

...........and thought how attractive the pebbles were.....

............sand nearer the sea but a lovely alternative to have the pebbles....

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In like the way things sound posher when you say them in French?

Actually, I don't think they are that much different. It's an illusion.

What's an illusion? Actually when I was living in England and feeling like a fish out of water, I'd come on these forums and get told i was imagining it, and I'd start to believe it. Then we'd go to Vienna or Helsinki or Milan . . . and I'd be reminded that no, I wasn't imagining it. Of course cultures vary a lot across European cities but they all have that fundamental cafe society/fresh food vibe.

I also worried that I was having rose-tinted glasses about Sydney/Melbourne offering the same vibe. Would I be sadly disappointed when I got back? Was it all an illusion? No.

Nothing wrong with Brighton, if cast eyes beyond the scum floating on the water, close to beach, spotted last time at that beach some five years ago. Which I must admit put to rest thoughts of entering the water.Still plenty of alternative activities to do. A coach from Victoria Coach Station was then still good value on a Day Return.

Plenty of lovely English beaches I've been on from Cornwall to Norfolk.

Frankly Brighton doesn't have much going for it.

What's an illusion? Actually when I was living in England and feeling like a fish out of water, I'd come on these forums and get told i was imagining it, and I'd start to believe it. Then we'd go to Vienna or Helsinki or Milan . . . and I'd be reminded that no, I wasn't imagining it. Of course cultures vary a lot across European cities but they all have that fundamental cafe society/fresh food vibe.

I also worried that I was having rose-tinted glasses about Sydney/Melbourne offering the same vibe. Would I be sadly disappointed when I got back? Was it all an illusion? No.

Im curious. What did the cafes in proper Europe say when you toured their kitchens to check that the food was all fresh and not microwaved?

Have to agree - I went there once and hated it. each to his own.

As they say each to their own. Always found Brighton having a nice 'buzz' in warmer months, but like most coastal UK localities a little dour during winter. I suspect more than a single trip would be in order to gauge the possibilities.

Only place for years outside of London I would have consented to move to.

I didn't have to. Many kitchens in small European restaurants are visible from your seat

True. Also a number of restaurants would not remain in business if served up microwave food. Sadly I have noticed in Germany, a lot of the old establishments are disappearing. The quality of food was superb in these places. Now if you want horrid tourist inspired, tepid food venture no further than Central Paris.

I can only say that in the case of Perth, while we get the variety, it doesn't come particularly close in comparing to the meals (especially price compared) with a lot of European centres. Some shockers there too of course ,just as some exceptions here.

As they say each to their own. Always found Brighton having a nice 'buzz' in warmer months, but like most coastal UK localities a little dour during winter. I suspect more than a single trip would be in order to gauge the possibilities.

Only place for years outside of London I would have consented to move to.

Oh for god sakes. Brighton is lovely in the winter, as is Rottnest or any summer tourist destination.

I can't believe you would prefer all that holiday hype that goes with tourist destinations.

It makes me sick.

Have to agree - I went there once and hated it. each to his own.

The trashy tourist places are chunder inspiring, but the true Brighton, as you get away from the seafront to Hanover and other less touristy areas it has a relaxed bohemian feel to it. Lots of great little pubs, lots of restaurants. It is quite a good place to live, without kids.

Oh for god sakes. Brighton is lovely in the winter, as is Rottnest or any summer tourist destination.

I can't believe you would prefer all that holiday hype that goes with tourist destinations.

It makes me sick.

Well I spent a year very close to Brighton as a twelve year old and found the winter dour from my perspective. Nothing to do with holiday hype either. I have since visited both Worthing and Brighton during winter, and know which seasons I prefer. Rather miserable with that wind blowing, pier shut and what have you.

The trashy tourist places are chunder inspiring, but the true Brighton, as you get away from the seafront to Hanover and other less touristy areas it has a relaxed bohemian feel to it. Lots of great little pubs, lots of restaurants. It is quite a good place to live, without kids.

I think the bohemian side of Brighton has been to some extent replaced over the years thanks to money. While Brighton may retain the name of being the Gay City Capital outside of London in UK, and well known in European gay circles, I certainly felt less of a bohemian scene than was evident in the eighties.

It makes me sick.

I'd pick my day going to Rottnest during winter as well. It can be lovely, or a nightmare attempting to circuit on a bike in the wind and rain.

Lifestyle and places we like and dislike are very personal. It isn't an Oz / uk thing, just we all have different likes and dislikes.

For example, I really like Brighten, but my wife hates it. Neither can really say why, we just do. Likewise when we moved to WA, there were a couple of areas we visited that prior to the move we thought would be where we would move to and are very popular, but we both immediately hated them.

For some, Oz offers them the lifestyle that suits them, for others it doesn't. There are things I liked about it, but, I find the UK lifestyle suits me far better. Many love living in Perrh, personally, I grew to find it far to isolated - I love now that last week I was in the highlands of Scotland and next week will be in Whitby and all easy to get to and very different in pretty much all aspects. But, that isn't important to everyone.

Lifestyle and places we like and dislike are very personal. It isn't an Oz / uk thing, just we all have different likes and dislikes.

For example, I really like Brighten, but my wife hates it. Neither can really say why, we just do. Likewise when we moved to WA, there were a couple of areas we visited that prior to the move we thought would be where we would move to and are very popular, but we both immediately hated them.

For some, Oz offers them the lifestyle that suits them, for others it doesn't. There are things I liked about it, but, I find the UK lifestyle suits me far better. Many love living in Perrh, personally, I grew to find it far to isolated - I love now that last week I was in the highlands of Scotland and next week will be in Whitby and all easy to get to and very different in pretty much all aspects. But, that isn't important to everyone.

Hope you manage to get to see my old neck of the woods whilst you are in Scotland - Dumfries and Galloway.

That is a very nice part of the world Jock, not short on rain mind you.

It is lovely amibovered. :smile: Nice folk there too. It does get a fair old bit of rain but on the whole it's very mild compared to the east coast or north of Scotland. I remember beautiful warm summer days too.

Apart from character that would knock out Perth from the race. Not to mention 50 miles from the Big Smoke, hence London By Sea, not forgetting the nearby Downs and lovely countryside. Nor the rather 'free' feel to the place and one of most tolerant in England.

I worked there for a few weeks when I was on pipeline testing. Booked into a bed and breakfast with the other guys I worked with. First morning at breakfast the gay guy who runs the place asks everyone but me "one egg or two" then goes mincing back into the kitchen. My breakfast comes out with two eggs and he puts his hand on my shoulder and says "I brought you two, you look like a two egg man". The other guys thought it was hilarious.

We checked out and found another place.

Gays are pretty well represented there I have to say.

Hope you manage to get to see my old neck of the woods whilst you are in Scotland - Dumfries and Galloway.

probably, I cover the whole of Scotland and as well as supervise junior engineers on projects all over the place, I have projects myself that are constantly taking me to new areas. Next week I am helping the north of England office doing a job in Whitby, but tomorrow will be on the Fife coast, the week after near Fort William, then I have a project in Kilmarnock. So, lots of variety. Going to take my wife and dog to the Whitby one and they will make a little holiday of it.

..........my great uncle lives there.....has for over 50 years...

..........says it's a place he feels safe and welcomed....

..........used to run a B&B....!

..........did you ever visit sherries or the birds nest...?

...........lots came down from London ...

Sherries .....Omg the memories...........

..........my great uncle lives there.....has for over 50 years...

..........says it's a place he feels safe and welcomed....

..........used to run a B&B....!

..........did you ever visit sherries or the birds nest...?

...........lots came down from London ...

Might have Tink. Those pipeline testing days are a bit of a blur. Lived on beer and chips.

Archived