British indian couple with young daughter just moved to Canberra from Birmingham UK

Hi everyone

We've just moved from Birmingham (born and bred) and I would like to make friends with some women and just generally have get togethers- go shopping, go for coffee and explore Canberra. I would also like to get my 4-year old meeting other children. Please let me know if you're inrerested.. we had lots of social things back at home and am looking to build that here xx

Hi everyone

We've just moved from Birmingham (born and bred) and I would like to make friends with some women and just generally have get togethers- go shopping, go for coffee and explore Canberra. I would also like to get my 4-year old meeting other children. Please let me know if you're inrerested.. we had lots of social things back at home and am looking to build that here xx

Do you think your title will restrict your options?

Lol.. just trying to make friends with others who may ne in similiar situations.. relocating all the way to the other side of the world and/or with Aussies who want to make some new friends! I have a very strong brummie accent.. but iv been told my accent is really cool! No other brummie would think so

Lol.. just trying to make friends with others who may ne in similiar situations.. relocating all the way to the other side of the world and/or with Aussies who want to make some new friends! I have a very strong brummie accent.. but iv been told my accent is really cool! No other brummie would think so

Yep! you sound pretty cool to me:cool:, even for a Brummie:tongue:

Hi everyone

Hope you can find some new friends. Not many of us live in Canberra unfortunately, one suggestion does your local library have any activities your daughter could join into.

Have moved so often because of my husbands job in my case and know how hard it can be.

Good luck and post here as you should get support from us if you need it.

Thanks Keith and Linda. We don't know anyone yet.. and I'm making an active effort to get myself out there so if anyone is up for some meet ups, in Canberra, that would be cool for me and/or playdates

It does take time, however your daughter could be the lead-in to meeting other parents, so pre school, school or other clubs (swimming) for children could be the go.

Good luck and happy times.

Sorry to jump in.

Neither the title is right nor its wrong.

No matter you shared details about you or not...

People will ask the same question after saying Hello. And that is " Where are you from ? "

So somehow kbhogal answered that in one line ..... :D

And I would say don't get wrong perception abt NewJez's comment.

Coz some people may think kbhogal looks for indian or British people only... It's their problem not the problem of the title.

Newjez just pointed to that possibility...

However, best of luck to all.

Let’s together make this forum to contribute building life time friendships among people.

Whatever else please posters don't hijack this thread into who is wrong or right.

The OP asked for help so give the OP the support she has asked for and come up with useful suggestions otherwise keep quiet.

We have all seen new posters totally put off ever posting again when faced with some of the nonsense that many posts deteriorate into.

Canberra can be a little dry of young mum chatty social interaction! I would happily have had coffee were I there but you will probably find most families are dual income and there aren't too many sahms (stay at home mums). There are groups at most of the libraries for little kids and you may connect with some mums (or in my experience) grandmas there. Some of the preschools have out of session playgroups where you are slightly more likely to find sahms. There are also loads of other interest specific groups for your kids - tots tumbling, calesthenics, circus skills, music etc so you might find some mums there but Canberra can be cliquey so don't be surprised if it takes a while to crack a social network. It was hard enough 30 of years ago when I did it and there were significantly fewer working mums than there are now. I can't even think of any young mums who don't work these days unfortunately.

Edited to say - not too many Brummies in Canberra, they may struggle with the accent :wink:

Edited by Quoll

Never picked newjez as a racist.

Canberra is not a big place, and whilst India is now one of the largest migrant country of origins, I would have thought British Indians would be fairly rare. (I do know several British Indians, mainly women who aren't that comfortable with Indians from India, not sure why)

So, I thought the OP may be restricting their potential friendship pool by putting these things in the title. I just thought they would have been better placed in the message body.

People often read a title and then decide whether to open it.

I am sure someone will latch-on to your accent, but you can also listen out for accents too, as well as football shirts.

My parents lived next to an Indian couple for years without speaking to them. Not necessarily because they were Indian. Mainly because they didn't own a dog, and my parents only speak to people who own dogs. We happened to arrive one day as they were leaving, and my wife caught her accent, and they started chatting. Apparently they were from a village only a couple of miles from my wife's mum. My mum started talking with them and they became great friends.

My mum cried when they eventually went back to England. They were lovely neighbours. Even though they never did get a dog.

are you north or south side in canberra? when im in canberra for treatment i sometimes go to the playgroup morning on tuesdays at the soft play centre called kid city in mitchell. its on the north side. it costs $10 & as well as the play equipment there is morning tea & craft activity provided for the kids. there is lots of mums & some grandparents & they are all very friendly. lots of different nationalities including sometimes people who cant speak english yet but still everyone fits in with smiles & hand gestures.

you can just turn up at 9:30 on any tuesday. theres no forms or anything official to do. you & your child get a coloured name sticker so you can see peoples names & everyone knows whos part of the group.

My parents lived next to an Indian couple for years without speaking to them. Not necessarily because they were Indian. Mainly because they didn't own a dog, and my parents only speak to people who own dogs. We happened to arrive one day as they were leaving, and my wife caught her accent, and they started chatting. Apparently they were from a village only a couple of miles from my wife's mum. My mum started talking with them and they became great friends.

My mum cried when they eventually went back to England. They were lovely neighbours. Even though they never did get a dog.

Your parents are dogists.

Canberra can be a little dry of young mum chatty social interaction! I would happily have had coffee were I there but you will probably find most families are dual income and there aren't too many sahms (stay at home mums). There are groups at most of the libraries for little kids and you may connect with some mums (or in my experience) grandmas there. Some of the preschools have out of session playgroups where you are slightly more likely to find sahms. There are also loads of other interest specific groups for your kids - tots tumbling, calesthenics, circus skills, music etc so you might find some mums there but Canberra can be cliquey so don't be surprised if it takes a while to crack a social network. It was hard enough 30 of years ago when I did it and there were significantly fewer working mums than there are now. I can't even think of any young mums who don't work these days unfortunately.

Edited to say - not too many Brummies in Canberra, they may struggle with the accent :wink:

Do you know quoll ,I never once had to repeat myself in oz ....o.k the Aussies used to take the piss out of my accent ..that never bothered me ...in fact some of my Aussie mates ,did a better brummie accent than me

I was told the further north you are from in the u.k ...the more trouble Aussies have in understanding you ?

Do you know quoll ,I never once had to repeat myself in oz ....o.k the Aussies used to take the piss out of my accent ..that never bothered me ...in fact some of my Aussie mates ,did a better brummie accent than me í*½í¸Š

I was told the further north you are from in the u.k ...the more trouble Aussies have in understanding you ?

Never met any Brummies in Canberra and Canberra is a bit rarified!!!