Cheaper way to migrate?

Sharra

Hi all,

I wondered if there is any way to migrate that's cheaper. For example, if you have a job offer, do companies ever offer to help with migration costs. I recently heard on this site that the average cost of migration for a family of four is 25 to 30 k. My jaw is still hanging open from this news. I honestly didn't think it would be over the 10 k mark! I know it's a long shot, but I just thought I'd check. I'm an early years educator by the way. Thanks in advance.

I was lucky in that my migration cost me zero. Yes I had full employer sponsorship with a relocation package. It was an internal company transfer, but I guess that if you are the only person with a desired set of skills and a company is desperate to get you, then you would be in a string negotiating position.

Unfortunately in the current economic climate, I think such migrations as mine would be few and far between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, nothing cheaper, not unless you have an amazingly rare set of skills that people might be climbing all over themselves to get hold of and early years educator really doesn't fit that bill. Actually, by the time you have got a job and set up, I would say that £25-30k is on the low side - you should factor in the possibility of being out of work for up to 6 months (not unheard of and the states recommend that you have enough to see you through that sort of period), add to that all the set up costs of cars, bonds, insurances etc etc and it all mounts up. I would say it would be more comfortable all up at £50k though of course people have done it on less but you will feel like you are haemorrhaging cash for a while there.

The cost is one of the reasons I am doing it now. I am in a good position. I live at home in the UK, I am single and have no ties. When I get to Australia I have relatives who are willing to put me up (lived with them on my WHV), so if I am out of work for a while I won't be hemorrhaging money. I also plan to move with just a few cases of belongings so won't be spending a fortune shipping items.

I don't think it's about having an "amazingly rare set of skills", it's about getting in front of the right people.

I have just transferred to Sydney from London via my job. It cost me nothing - my company sponsored me and paid for visa, legal fees, flights, shipping and accommodation. In fact I've saved money whilst not paying rent.

I'm not here in an occupation on the shortage list - my job is categorized as "Information and Organisation Professionals not elsewhere classified" and I am not a senior staff member.

My boss here transferred out from the UK office a few years ago and the company did the same for his whole family.

I think there are ways to get a relocation package if you can convince the hiring manager you're the right person for the job.

I don't think it's about having an "amazingly rare set of skills", it's about getting in front of the right people.

I have just transferred to Sydney from London via my job. It cost me nothing - my company sponsored me and paid for visa, legal fees, flights, shipping and accommodation. In fact I've saved money whilst not paying rent.

I'm not here in an occupation on the shortage list - my job is categorized as "Information and Organisation Professionals not elsewhere classified" and I am not a senior staff member.

My boss here transferred out from the UK office a few years ago and the company did the same for his whole family.

I think there are ways to get a relocation package if you can convince the hiring manager you're the right person for the job.

That is on a 457 visa though. Which means you are stuck with the same employer and at their mercy in terms of job security then. If they go belly up or make you redundant, you have a limited time in which to find a new sponsor or its leaving Aus. Its a temp 4 year visa and lots don't manage to achieve PR off the back of it for one reason or another. Some find out they have the employer from hell, others that they lose their job just as they are about to apply for PR. Its not an ideal for many families either as in most states now they have to pay state school fees for kids and this can be around the $5,000 mark per child.

Hi all,

I wondered if there is any way to migrate that's cheaper. For example, if you have a job offer, do companies ever offer to help with migration costs. I recently heard on this site that the average cost of migration for a family of four is 25 to 30 k. My jaw is still hanging open from this news. I honestly didn't think it would be over the 10 k mark! I know it's a long shot, but I just thought I'd check. I'm an early years educator by the way. Thanks in advance.

It would depend on what visa you are able to gain (and the employer). If it were a 457 then there will be some relocation costs but it will vary. If its a PR visa then chances are you are going to have to apply and gain the visa first, then move to Aus and then find a job once here. Some are lucky to secure a job once their PR visa is gained but for many, most, the reality is they have to fund their own move, go without jobs and start from scratch.

So yes often a large chunk of change is required. If you are looking at PR then the figure you mentioned is ballpark though more would be better. Some have done it on less but with 4 of you I doubt doing it for less will happen. Factor in the visa costs, medicals, shipping your belongings (even a few boxes will cost a few hundred ££, an entire house contents £4-5,000). Then you have one way flights for 4, accommodation costs for those early weeks while looking for a longer term rental, bond/deposit for the rental, rent for a few months at least in case a job isn't found, buying a car, food and other day to day expenses, medical and dental, school uniforms and fees (all state schools have a nominal fee of a couple of hundred $$ or so for each pupil for goods etc) plus rainy day funds. Sit down and total that all up, its a big chunk you need.

I doubt your profession is in such demand that you'd land an employer who will pay relocation costs and flights etc. Look at the SOL and CSOL to see if your profession is on there for anywhere and if so what visa you could apply for and go from there.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/CSOL

Hi all,

You would spend £10k on the visa and flights alone for a family of four.

If somebody gets a transfer from their current employer then yes they are likely to have costs paid but they are also likely to be on a temporary visa and hence not actually migrating.

We obtained the skilled migrant visa and job hunted on our validation trip. We were successful and so both had jobs to move to however I believe a key factor in that was that we marketed ourselves as local candidates, I think if we had announced we wanted assistance with relocation we wouldn't have got past the recruitment agent.

With jobs to go to we spent £25k for two people, we could have done it cheaper but we had good jobs and weren't on a budget.

Hi all,

Certainly didn't cost me that much in 2010 doable on much less.After booking flights for family 4 to go I took £10500 with me and that paid for short term renta,bond on long term rental,food,setting up the usual things and a second hand car.I did have a job lined up wich I started after 2 weeks but I managed fine.Prior to that it was visa medical costs as employer paid for application and removal costs.We also went to OZ year before to look and I had an interview so that cost too.Things were slightly cheaper back in 2010 I guess but I managed fine.

Certainly didn't cost me that much in 2010 doable on much less.After booking flights for family 4 to go I took £10500 with me and that paid for short term renta,bond on long term rental,food,setting up the usual things and a second hand car.I did have a job lined up wich I started after 2 weeks but I managed fine.Prior to that it was visa medical costs as employer paid for application and removal costs.We also went to OZ year before to look and I had an interview so that cost too.Things were slightly cheaper back in 2010 I guess but I managed fine.

When people mention the £25-30k figure they are usually talking about the overall cost, visas, shipping, flights etc. not necessarily just what they took with them. Visas are more expensive now, that alone would be over £4k for a family., our visa cost £1k in 2009.

But the key thing to note is you had a job to go to. If OP doesn't they need to factor in several months of living costs too and with no income they would probably need to demonstrate that they can pay rent for at least six months through savings. It is all these things that get the figure up.

When people mention the £25-30k figure they are usually talking about the overall cost, visas, shipping, flights etc. not necessarily just what they took with them. Visas are more expensive now, that alone would be over £4k for a family., our visa cost £1k in 2009.

But the key thing to note is you had a job to go to. If OP doesn't they need to factor in several months of living costs too and with no income they would probably need to demonstrate that they can pay rent for at least six months through savings. It is all these things that get the figure up.

As I said in my post if you take into account the family trip to OZ in 2009 for interview and reccie the year before I actually went and removal costs it was close to £20000. Not everyone goes for a reccie or interview but as you said they may have visa costs where I only had medical costs as employer sorted out my PR and I had a job also.These opportunities are more limited 5 years on.

That is on a 457 visa though. Which means you are stuck with the same employer and at their mercy in terms of job security then. If they go belly up or make you redundant, you have a limited time in which to find a new sponsor or its leaving Aus. Its a temp 4 year visa and lots don't manage to achieve PR off the back of it for one reason or another. Some find out they have the employer from hell, others that they lose their job just as they are about to apply for PR. Its not an ideal for many families either as in most states now they have to pay state school fees for kids and this can be around the $5,000 mark per child.

This all depends non what state you move to.

Surely if you have enough money to feed, house, and get a car etc for 4-8 weeks and have a secured job to go to you don't need 6 months worth of funds?

This all depends non what state you move to.

Surely if you have enough money to feed, house, and get a car etc for 4-8 weeks and have a secured job to go to you don't need 6 months worth of funds?

I thinkthe point is that the majority of PR visa holders don't have a job lined up though, and it can easily take 6 months or more to find one.

I thinkthe point is that the majority of PR visa holders don't have a job lined up though, and it can easily take 6 months or more to find one.

Yeah I guess unless your in a profession that's willing to do an overseas interview and from what I see these are mainly in the medical profession you would need a good 6mths worth of money.

Company sponsorship on a 457 is NOT migrating. This is a temporary short term work permit.

Playing with words. It doesn't matter what badge you pin to it. 457 is still migrating for those who choose that option. Many people with skilled independent visas "migrate" and last only a year! It's still a migration. Birds migrate; it doesn't have to be a permanent move to still be a migration!

The OP's question was specifically about costs for migrating and also possibilities for sponsorship and relocation packages.

The costs for migrating are largely similar for getting you, your family and belongings to Australia and setting yourself up with accommodation and transport, regardless of the visa option you choose to migrate on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing with words. It doesn't matter what badge you pin to it. ...

The costs for migrating are largely similar for getting you, your family and belongings to Australia and setting yourself up with accommodation and transport, regardless of the visa option you choose to migrate on.

You're right, the costs are about the same whether you're moving countries for a year or forever. However, I think VeryStormy is just taking the opportunity to make the point about a 457 - too many people come to this forum thinking the 457 is an automatic path to migration and we all know it isn't. I just replied to someone on another thread who had no idea it was only a temp visa - and it would have been easy for me to answer his questions without pointing that out, but I think it was important to do so. Now he knows what research he needs to do.

Edited by Marisawright

But it can be a path to permanent migration and i think readers get frustrated when people keep saying it isnt, yes its good for members to hear the downside but not many who point this out ,mention it is totally do-able to stay here in Aus if you follow the correct steps and thousands of people do it /have done it.

Cal x

But it can be a path to permanent migration and i think readers get frustrated when people keep saying it isnt, yes its good for members to hear the downside but not many who point this out ,mention it is totally do-able to stay here in Aus if you follow the correct steps and thousands of people do it /have done it.

Cal x

By the same token though, ANY visa can be part of a pathway to permanency - even a tourist visa or a whv can be the start of a pathway.