In A Huge mess Need to talk to a stranger.

Guest Unregistered

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bless her. I think the agent was right.....Australian father, automatic Australian baby. So they wont deport the baby and she has breathing space in which time she will probably be in a better position to see things a bit clearer.

I cant see why she is being advised to consult an agent, its an expense they can do without. Is the Immigration Dept that bad!

Not related, but I was given false information over the phone from the Australian passport office. When I turned up with documentation, they said sorry but no. I had to make a second trip up. Unless you have an opinion in writing, it's not worth the paper...

Not related, but I was given false information over the phone from the Australian passport office. When I turned up with documentation, they said sorry but no. I had to make a second trip up. Unless you have an opinion in writing, it's not worth the paper...

Yup, my mother was lied to over the phone too. It was particularly bad because she was very vulnerable and distressed at the time, and it was very probably deliberate - the guy on the other end of the phone was in his last week in the job, and he wasn't leaving voluntarily...

Bless her. I think the agent was right.....Australian father, automatic Australian baby. So they wont deport the baby and she has breathing space in which time she will probably be in a better position to see things a bit clearer.

I cant see why she is being advised to consult an agent, its an expense they can do without. Is the Immigration Dept that bad!

Unfortunately, having a baby by an Australian doesn't give her any right of abode in Australia - if it did then it would be open slather for every young woman who fancied remaining. I think it is worth getting an agent's advice and I am not sure that the advice from DIBP is correct they are notorious for giving bad advice. It looks like registering their relationship or getting married might be the only way to be sure not to have to leave when the visa expires. Not really much breathing space there to sort things out actually.

Guest The Pom Queen
Im going to write what happened when i went to immigration department on lee street.

Spoke to a expert immigration adviser.

She said because baby daddy is full true blue australian going back generations baby so baby is his dependant and will not affect my WHV.

She told me to concentrate on the baby and stop reading this forum so thank you all and goodbye.

I can stay here until July 22nd 2017 so I we have time to decide what we want to do.

I haven't read all this thread and am not qualified to advise on the visa aspect, however, I would not rely on advice from someone who works in a call centre/reception over someone who is a registered migration agent and deals with cases like yours on a regular basis. Over the years of the forum we have seen numerous members refused visas because they relied on the advice of the Immigration Department. Please, please ask for the information they gave in writing this will hopefully cover you if it all goes wrong, although I bet they would not be willing to put it down on paper.

For your own sake get a second opinion.

Im going to write what happened when i went to immigration department on lee street.

Spoke to a expert immigration adviser.

She said because baby daddy is full true blue australian going back generations baby so baby is his dependant and will not affect my WHV.

She told me to concentrate on the baby and stop reading this forum so thank you all and goodbye.

I can stay here until July 22nd 2017 so I we have time to decide what we want to do.

It is good that this gives you a little breathing space. I am puzzled as to how the Immigration Department can grant custody of an unborn child to a father in this way though.

You do both need to take the time to consider how you will keep your little family together (assuming that you want to) after July 2017.

Either he will need a visa to live in the UK with you and the baby or you will need a permanent visa to stay in Australia. The latter is more straightforward but takes a long time to put in place - even if you start now a bridging visa will be needed.

You do need to consider the possibility of worst case scenarios such as a break-up in the relationship which could result in you having to leave the baby behind permanently in Australia when you return to the UK next July unless he granted permission for you to take his baby to the UK with you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

The government is not going to deport a mother and force her to leave her new born baby behind in Australia GGS.

Don't put those crazy thoughts in her head

The advice she was given by Immi was that she can remain in Australia until July 2017. If she has no visa in place and no pathway open to apply for one then the likelihood is she will have to leave. Better to be aware of that and take any necessary steps to avoid this scenario. Whether or not the baby can leave with her is a decision by the other parent (in accordance with The Hague Convention) and nothing to do with the government.

In practice no government is going to do that.

The stolen generation was 100 years ago. when babies were removed from their mothers.

Of course if you can tell me a case where the government has ever deported a mother forcing her baby to be left in Australia then I might believe you.

But it would not happen. She would of course be given a visa to stay on compassionate grounds.

I'd agree with seeing an Immigration agent ASAP and getting this sorted on that side. As for moving to Marrickville, if you have a baby here and plan to stay, you may want/need to be closer to your boyfriends parents then you realise. Family support makes it easier. Have you considered moving to somewhere which is more family oriented but still can commute to the city? Glenbrook, Lapstone, Emu Plains, Penrith are all less then an hour on the train from the city and can still go up the mountain easily, you will get more for your money then in in the city and may be a better lifestyle when the child becomes a baby.

The stolen generation was 100 years ago. when babies were removed from their mothers.

Of course if you can tell me a case where the government has ever deported a mother forcing her baby to be left in Australia then I might believe you.

But it would not happen. She would of course be given a visa to stay on compassionate grounds.

What is a Compassionate Visa? Do you know of any that have been granted? Do they come with work rights and/or access to child care assistance or benefits?

Guest Unregistered
I'd agree with seeing an Immigration agent ASAP and getting this sorted on that side. As for moving to Marrickville, if you have a baby here and plan to stay, you may want/need to be closer to your boyfriends parents then you realise. Family support makes it easier. Have you considered moving to somewhere which is more family oriented but still can commute to the city? Glenbrook, Lapstone, Emu Plains, Penrith are all less then an hour on the train from the city and can still go up the mountain easily, you will get more for your money then in in the city and may be a better lifestyle when the child becomes a baby.

So we live in the mountains my boyfriend works in the city if i go into early labour if i need him it will take him 2 hour to reach me from the city

where as if i live in the city it is a short taxi to hospital plus its not healthy for him to spend 20 hour a week travelling with a pregnant partner i want him with me FOCUSED AND NOT BURNED OUT.and whatever happens we need his job.

I have friends in the city from home who I am closer to than his family people from home.These people all live in the city

We don't have a car we share a car with his family

Antinatal hospital cost a 60$ taxi there and back.

When he does late nights it cost $20-30

Plus we spend $65 a week each on OPAL.

A studio in Marrickville with our own bathroom and full kitchen cost is going to cost $320 a week all bills included.Not Including internet.

It make sense to just live in the city near the hospital.

I never mentioned a compassionate visa. There is no such thing.

I said another visa would be granted. Whatever is the appropriate one.

You really should just stick to trolling elsewhere on this site and not offer visa advice. This site is very helpful to people and you making up visas which do not exist is unhelpful at best and dangerous at worst.

I have not made up any visa.

I said a visa such as partner visa and processing can be fast tracked if necessary on compassionate grounds.

If you want examples just google.

You are the one scare mongering. If you desist I wouldn't need to set the record straight.

I have not made up any visa.

I said a visa such as partner visa and processing can be fast tracked if necessary on compassionate grounds.

If you want examples just google.

You are the one scare mongering. If you desist I wouldn't need to set the record straight.

A partner visa is a fine option as long as they are still together of course. Please read my earlier posts before typing again.

Please stop with the bickering. It is not helpful to the OP.

I think most everyone of us are in agreement that a second opinion should be sought re rights and visas and that the advice of someone in the immigration department is not to be taken as gospel. Lets leave it there.

The stolen generation went on until 1970, so far less than 100 years ago. Once the OP has her baby she will not have a valid visa. While I would like to believe that immigration would not forcibly remove a new mother from the country without her child without a valid visa the OP risks exactly that. What she needs is expert advice on visa strategy and not speculation from people who know nothing about what her options may be (and I include both the department of immigration and myself in that category).

The government is not going to deport a mother and force her to leave her new born baby behind in Australia GGS.

Don't put those crazy thoughts in her head

No, they would expect her to take the baby with her. Unless she gets her visa situation sorted. If she is not prepared to spend money to do that then the best option (which has to be decided quickly) would be to return to UK and hope the father can get a visa to enter there. Given the short time they have been "partners" in the immigration sense of the word then they are going to have to do something to confirm the relationship - like registering it or getting married then they can apply for a visa to see her through. To put your head in the sand and say "oh it'll be OK on a WHV, have the baby and work it out later" is a risky strategy

This from the SMH earlier in the year

Rodan has two other clients in similar circumstances. As of the end of last year there were around 650,000 international students, skilled foreign workers and working holidaymakers living in Australia on temporary visas. With such numbers it is inevitable that occasionally a temporary visa holder will end up having a child with an Australian partner. When this happens, the child is automatically a citizen and the foreign parent can usually gain permanent residence by applying for a partner visa. But if the relationship falls apart and no partner application has been made, things get complicated. There is no way for a foreign parent to apply to remain in Australia on the basis that their child is an Australian citizen because there is no corresponding visa category. Equally, it is very difficult for a dependant child to sponsor a parent for a visa.

So we live in the mountains my boyfriend works in the city if i go into early labour if i need him it will take him 2 hour to reach me from the city

where as if i live in the city it is a short taxi to hospital plus its not healthy for him to spend 20 hour a week travelling with a pregnant partner i want him with me FOCUSED AND NOT BURNED OUT.and whatever happens we need his job.

I have friends in the city from home who I am closer to than his family people from home.These people all live in the city

We don't have a car we share a car with his family

Antinatal hospital cost a 60$ taxi there and back.

When he does late nights it cost $20-30

Plus we spend $65 a week each on OPAL.

A studio in Marrickville with our own bathroom and full kitchen cost is going to cost $320 a week all bills included.Not Including internet.

It make sense to just live in the city near the hospital.

That makes sense, you know what's best for you guys and I hope you sort out your visas you can settle down with peace of mind.