Should a UK General Election be triggered?

Gbye grey sky

You appear to be taking this very badly!

Well a lot of people are taking it badly. It needs to be remembered, regardless of all the huff and puff, there was no strategy in place of how to proceed if the out camp won. That was not the plan. Even that Farage character had not factored it in.

Bad policy to see a country run on cluelessness and populist emotion.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Assuming that he stands and is voted in by the party.

Is he (or any other de facto leader) then free to make any agreement he sees fit to make in your view? A big call for an elected PM let alone an unelected one.

The people have spoken so why is it such a big call?

Be it a close margin, it has got across the line and people will have to live with it.

The people have spoken so why is it such a big call?

Be it a close margin, it has got across the line and people will have to live with it.

Leaving is the easy bit. Negotiating the terms of exit and determining the future relationship with the EU is where the big calls have to be made.

Like the small boy who decides that he hates his parents and their stupid rules. Leaving the house and getting to the end of the street is easy enough. Deciding where to go next and how you will get by is a different ball game. Like the small boy nobody has properly considered that part yet.

Well a lot of people are taking it badly. It needs to be remembered, regardless of all the huff and puff, there was no strategy in place of how to proceed if the out camp won. That was not the plan. Even that Farage character had not factored it in.

Bad policy to see a country run on cluelessness and populist emotion.

Did you think in all honesty that it would have been a winning majority to vote leave , I certainly didn't think so and I feel it has caught a lot of people out

Did you think in all honesty that it would have been a winning majority to vote leave , I certainly didn't think so and I feel it has caught a lot of people out

I confess that I did or rather thought it was close to 50/50 so could go either way. I exchanged half my GBP in advance as a hedge against it (and glad that I did). I can't claim any credit for insight though as the polls suggested this.

I certainly did not think so nor hoped for, but one could perhaps assume, those advocating such a major disruption of the UK economic model, may just have had the nonce to have had a policy in place.

I confess that I did or rather thought it was close to 50/50 so could go either way. I exchanged half my GBP in advance as a hedge against it (and glad that I did). I can't claim any credit for insight though as the polls suggested this.

The closeness of the campaign should have alerted those with agenda's that a major upset could be on the cards. Astounding going with a populist approach having no policy if victorious. Laughable if not so serious for the economy.

First, the UK - like Australia - doesn't elect a Prime Minister, so their is no constitutional reason that a general election should be called.

The referendum produced a result that surprised some, though not others. I always thought it would be a narrow leave result.

I can see no reason for a general election and in fact think it would not be good for the country. What we need now is stability and all to work together. For those that want a general election, I would say be very careful what you wish for. The Labour party is in disarray and unelectable. There is therefore every chance of either a major Tory win, or, potentially worse, a big support for UKIP resulting in a UKIP / Tory coalition.

First, the UK - like Australia - doesn't elect a Prime Minister, so their is no constitutional reason that a general election should be called.

The referendum produced a result that surprised some, though not others. I always thought it would be a narrow leave result.

I can see no reason for a general election and in fact think it would not be good for the country. What we need now is stability and all to work together. For those that want a general election, I would say be very careful what you wish for. The Labour party is in disarray and unelectable. There is therefore every chance of either a major Tory win, or, potentially worse, a big support for UKIP resulting in a UKIP / Tory coalition.

Talking of being careful what you wish for ... I think Boris should be given the job of PM and negotiating our exit from the EU. He so richly deserves his place in the hot seat and will be forever remembered for it. A fitting reward for his actions.

75% of all MPs backed Remain. Even the majority of Tories backed Remain. Surely a House of Commons without these "traitors" and that better represents the views of the people is called for.

A UKIP/Tory coalition would at least best promote Leave and stand up to Brussels stopping uncontrolled immigration and limiting the money paid to the EU which is what the country wants. What could possibly go wrong?

Redding through post on here and the EU referemdon post what people are forgetting is that they can move freely to an EU member country and live under the EU again. Can't see a problem, if you don't like it leave .. Simples

Many of us can remember travelling round Europe before we joined the E.U. Of course we'll still be able to travel freely, it may just be a little more complicated. I'm all for making life more difficult, stops us getting bored with our savings and migration plans. Fiddling about with visa applications beats redding about referemdums any day.

Boris did not look on the weekend like a man anxious to step up to the plate. Playing tennis at Althorpe etc. No talking to the media. Hiding. Rather, he seemed to be realising the enormity of the nativist and racist forces he has released, how much the City and most of London hates his guts, and is very unwilling to grasp what he knows is a poisoned chalice.

Both major parties are in total disarray. No one can predict the outcome. It's not a matter of what I wish for. And it's got nothing to do with a constitution - the UK doesn't have one in the sense of a written constitution. What it does have is parliamentary practice. If a PM cannot command a majority on the floor of the house, he/she has to go to the Queen and say so. She then asks if anyone else can command a majority. If the answer is no- which it almost invariably is - then a general election must be held. I think a major realignment of political parties is a likely outcome. And that the breakup of the UK is on the cards. Corbyn is being pushed hard to resign because Labour knows that an election is very likely, very soon. It's more or less a total mess.

Both major parties are in total disarray. No one can predict the outcome. It's not a matter of what I wish for. And it's got nothing to do with a constitution - the UK doesn't have one in the sense of a written constitution. What it does have is parliamentary practice. If a PM cannot command a majority on the floor of the house, he/she has to go to the Queen and say so. She then asks if anyone else can command a majority. If the answer is no- which it almost invariably is - then a general election must be held. I think a major realignment of political parties is a likely outcome. And that the breakup of the UK is on the cards. Corbyn is being pushed hard to resign because Labour knows that an election is very likely, very soon. It's more or less a total mess.

The Tories command a majority though even though they are divided on this matter. Losing a vote on a single bill or issue would not bring about an audience with the Queen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

75% of all MPs backed Remain. Even the majority of Tories backed Remain. Surely a House of Commons without these "traitors" and that better represents the views of the people is called for.

A UKIP/Tory coalition would at least best promote Leave and stand up to Brussels stopping uncontrolled immigration and limiting the money paid to the EU which is what the country wants. What could possibly go wrong?

The house must follow the people.

What at I hope most from this is some big learning lessons. One being that MP's learn that they are not there to lead the people but to represent the people. There own views are irrelevant as it is the view of the people that counts.

The he view of the people is clear. The U.K. has voted to leave. The job of the MP's is to facilitate that.

There will be another general election this year

Although, before the referendum, I thought so. But now, I think not.

Labour are in total disarray and we could see the most incredible thing with the Labour MP's trying to kick out a leader, who is then re-elected by its members. So, the last thing they will want is an election.

The conservatives are also facing a leadership vote, which will not be concluded until September. The only option for an election this year is November and simply not enough time.

Lastly of course, I think most every persuasion recognise it isn't in the countries interest at the moment. I think it will be after the EU negotiations are complete.

Hell no. Both parties are a mess. I think DC should have taken it on the chin and got on with the job. An PM is supposed to be the voice of the nation, not himself, he's just thrown a paddy because he didn't get what he wanted. I think leaving is going to be a lot more complicated now he's resigning.

Hell no. Both parties are a mess. I think DC should have taken it on the chin and got on with the job. An PM is supposed to be the voice of the nation, not himself, he's just thrown a paddy because he didn't get what he wanted. I think leaving is going to be a lot more complicated now he's resigning.

Doing what he did ensured we can take time to reflect on the result and plan the next step carefully. If he had stayed on the pressure to trigger article 50 would have been immediate.

The house must follow the people.

What at I hope most from this is some big learning lessons. One being that MP's learn that they are not there to lead the people but to represent the people. There own views are irrelevant as it is the view of the people that counts.

The he view of the people is clear. The U.K. has voted to leave. The job of the MP's is to facilitate that.

But is the view of the people clear really?

What sort of relationship do they want with Europe? To be in the single market the UK will have to contribute net at least as much as now and agree to free movement (so no control over EU migrant numbers).

Or do they want to leave Europe on Britain's terms only even if that means having to leave the single market?

I don't know. Do you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just like we did with everything that went on when in the EU!

You vote for MEPs. You can follow the precedings. This idea of a non democratic Europe is bollocks. We just couldn't be asked following it, and the press only highlighted the loopy bits.

Archived