Expats will you / have you registered to vote in the Brexit referendum?

Peach

Check out the AUD to USD in same period. A pick of commodities has more to do with it than brexit

I didn't claim that the fall from 2.20 to 1.82 was entirely attributable to the Brexit referendum but in case there were any doubts about the effect the increase for the £ across all major currencies was attributable to the Obama visit and speech about Brexit. I think my supposition that the effect could be the equivalent of 20c to the £ is not in any way an overstatement.

It is easy to imagine based on the above a rise to over 2.0 in the wake of a Remain vote and a fall to 1.70 if the decision is to leave.

I see that Turnbull has also waded in and said that their preference would be the UK staying in the EU thereby damaging one of the central trade arguments that Commonwealth countries would prefer to deal with the UK separately.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have registered, yes

I wouldn't vote in a general election (and indeed didn't last year) because the chances are I will not be living in the UK for the term of whatever government got elected and therefore it didn't seem appropriate to me

This is different, though: It will change the trajectory of the country for the long term. A once in 50 years sort of choice. If I ever decide to go back to the UK - and I may well do that at some point - then the outcome of the vote will affect me

You don't have to care and you are entitled to vote whatever way you want, that is how democracy works. But voting on the future of a country purely because you have an exchange rate transaction coming up, is definitely shallow.

Shallow it may be but what would you and just about anyone else do in the same circumstance?

I'll just watch with interest what happens. Been here too long to know how it is in the UK.

I have registered, yes

I wouldn't vote in a general election (and indeed didn't last year) because the chances are I will not be living in the UK for the term of whatever government got elected and therefore it didn't seem appropriate to me

This is different, though: It will change the trajectory of the country for the long term. A once in 50 years sort of choice. If I ever decide to go back to the UK - and I may well do that at some point - then the outcome of the vote will affect me

I've registered for similar reasons. I'm voting to stay in as I think we need to be at the heart of Europe if we hope to influence the direction it goes in, rather than being on the outside looking in. I'm hoping to return home in a couple of years time and I fear what withdrawing from Europe might mean for us economically and in terms of ease of travel.

I like mandatory voting.

The trouble with optional voting in my mind is that people are a lot more inclined to vote when they want change. So those who want out of EU are a lot more likely to vote.

People who are happy generally with the current status quo of whatever the issue is don't have the same motivation to vote to keep the current system.

If I were in Oz now I would register to vote, and vote to remain in, with the thought that we might be back (driven by the needs of the children).

My brother is already in Oz, and is never coming back. He is still eligible to vote, and although I think a remain vote would be preferable for myself about to transfer house sale proceeds, I've chosen not to push him to vote; He doesn't intend to come back other than as a tourist so not sure he should have a say.

My wife and I have registered for postal votes as we are leaving the UK at the end of May on 4 year visas.

I believe that whichever side loses will (in the short-to-medium term at least) be claiming the moral high ground as the UK faces tough times ahead regardless of the outcome. If we vote to leave there may well be an economic hit, whereas if we stay we will be powerless to prevent further uncontrolled immigration.

Open border EU migration is a good thing for big businesses and our GDP statistics but many average Brits have reasonable concerns about the pressure it puts on our schools, hospitals, housing and other public services...not to mention some negative social effects (which most politicians we are graced with shudder at the thought of discussing).

Both of us shall be voting out because even if there is a temporary economic hit we feel the country is strong enough to adjust and would as a result be a better place to live in the longer term.

My wife and I have registered for postal votes as we are leaving the UK at the end of May on 4 year visas.

I believe that whichever side loses will (in the short-to-medium term at least) be claiming the moral high ground as the UK faces tough times ahead regardless of the outcome. If we vote to leave there may well be an economic hit, whereas if we stay we will be powerless to prevent further uncontrolled immigration.

Open border EU migration is a good thing for big businesses and our GDP statistics but many average Brits have reasonable concerns about the pressure it puts on our schools, hospitals, housing and other public services...not to mention some negative social effects (which most politicians we are graced with shudder at the thought of discussing).

Both of us shall be voting out because even if there is a temporary economic hit we feel the country is strong enough to adjust and would as a result be a better place to live in the longer term.

Best post so far.they need us more than we need them that's why all the unelected europhiles are running around scared shitless we will still trade with Europe but also trade with the rest of the world without having the constraints of having unelected buerecrats telling what to do.VOTE OUT,money isn't everything but history and culture is.

For as long as people can remember, voting has been secret with nobody being able to trace how we vote. I propose this should be abolished for the purpose of the referendum.

Here is why.

We should vote for the good of the country at large and not our personal beliefs. However, I think many of us do vote for our personal beliefs and I can understand that. In the case of the EU, I can understand that many of us have a big fondness for our friends in mainland Europe. We enjoy visiting, we enjoy their wine, and we enjoy their cheese and hospitality. We like to be able to skip over to France on the train and not need visas. But, this is not a vote on how much we like Europe, nor is it even a vote on how much we, as individuals, like the EU. It is a vote about what is best for the UK.

So, you ask, what has this got to do with stopping secret ballot? The answer is simple. There are sadly, many who will vote Remain because of these ideas. I can understand them. But, it doesn’t mean they are right.

We can all see the effects of unrestrained migration on the UK. Every day, I see jobs that were never even close to being minimum wage jobs, but now are because market forces of too much labour has allowed employers to make them so. Many of us have friends who are things such as plumbers or electricians who are seeing their livelihoods destroyed and who have had to lay off their apprentices because they can’t compete with someone who is from a country that has average earnings of £4k a year.

We, as a society, cannot take this level of migration. It is not racist or little Englander to say we need to control migration. It is in fact the policy we have applied to the rest of the none EU world and so does every other country.

Our services cannot take it.

The majority of migrants are significant net receivers of GDP. Why? Well, do the maths. Even if a person earns £27k a year – and few migrants earn this amount – that is only about £4k a year in tax. Now, if they are a family of say 2 adults and 2 children. That £4k doesn’t even cover the cost of educating the children – not even close. That is before we factor in costs for receiving NHS treatment, benefits and every aspect of the services provided by the government.

So, my proposal is this.

If you want to vote remain, that is your right. However, the costs of that decision are enormous and far higher than what we can bear with our current taxes. So, it seems to me only fair that those that want to remain in the EU should shoulder that burden. I therefore propose that people’s votes are recorded by their names and in the event of a Remain vote, those people then pay a higher tax. It would probably need to be a large amount – we have had 3 million people move to the UK and the vast majority are net receivers. Therefore, all Remain voters should pay a tax of £500 a week to allow for extra benefits for those affected by migration and to pay for the extra services.

That to me seems fair.

I think everyone entitled to vote has a duty to do so. You may not live in the UK now but you are considered to have a right to at any time through your citizenship for example. This is a very big thing for the UK and will effect everyone. I don't personally think the pound will suffer from leaving the EU. All the evidence actually shows how the UK will prosper. There is no reliable evidence it will be worse out the EU. At present too much of the U.K. Regulations are dictated by people not elected by the UK people. That is not democracy and not what I want for the UK so I'm voting out.

The majority of migrants are significant net receivers of GDP. Why? Well, do the maths. Even if a person earns £27k a year – and few migrants earn this amount – that is only about £4k a year in tax. Now, if they are a family of say 2 adults and 2 children. That £4k doesn’t even cover the cost of educating the children – not even close. That is before we factor in costs for receiving NHS treatment, benefits and every aspect of the services provided by the government.

What about all the indirect taxes they pay ? Or do they just send the 23k 'back home' ?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

For as long as people can remember, voting has been secret with nobody being able to trace how we vote. I propose this should be abolished for the purpose of the referendum.

Here is why.

We should vote for the good of the country at large and not our personal beliefs. However, I think many of us do vote for our personal beliefs and I can understand that. In the case of the EU, I can understand that many of us have a big fondness for our friends in mainland Europe. We enjoy visiting, we enjoy their wine, and we enjoy their cheese and hospitality. We like to be able to skip over to France on the train and not need visas. But, this is not a vote on how much we like Europe, nor is it even a vote on how much we, as individuals, like the EU. It is a vote about what is best for the UK.

So, you ask, what has this got to do with stopping secret ballot? The answer is simple. There are sadly, many who will vote Remain because of these ideas. I can understand them. But, it doesn’t mean they are right.

We can all see the effects of unrestrained migration on the UK. Every day, I see jobs that were never even close to being minimum wage jobs, but now are because market forces of too much labour has allowed employers to make them so. Many of us have friends who are things such as plumbers or electricians who are seeing their livelihoods destroyed and who have had to lay off their apprentices because they can’t compete with someone who is from a country that has average earnings of £4k a year.

We, as a society, cannot take this level of migration. It is not racist or little Englander to say we need to control migration. It is in fact the policy we have applied to the rest of the none EU world and so does every other country.

Our services cannot take it.

So, my proposal is this.

If you want to vote remain, that is your right. However, the costs of that decision are enormous and far higher than what we can bear with our current taxes. So, it seems to me only fair that those that want to remain in the EU should shoulder that burden. I therefore propose that people’s votes are recorded by their names and in the event of a Remain vote, those people then pay a higher tax. It would probably need to be a large amount – we have had 3 million people move to the UK and the vast majority are net receivers. Therefore, all Remain voters should pay a tax of £500 a week to allow for extra benefits for those affected by migration and to pay for the extra services.

That to me seems fair.

Almost total nonsense. The opposite is the case and this must rank as one of the most stupid posts on this thread. Effectively ranking your own self-interest above other's self-interest as well as the country as a whole and seeking the moral high ground for so doing.

I accept some of your arguments that immigration can have the effect of driving down some wages. Whilst this may have a negative impact on some workers it can only benefit the UK economy as a whole. A lot of immigrants do not bring children with them in any case. As well as direct tax (PAYE/NIC), they help generate taxable profits for the businesses that employ them and pay VAT on goods they purchase. They are massive net contributors to the economy.

The country needs children regardless. Children are the future workforce who will pay our pensions.

It is not the young, hardworking immigrants who damage the economy of Britain but the idle, criminal and feckless (often indiginous Brits) plus the ever-increasing numbers of old retired people who are largely funded by the taxpayer. Without these immigrants Britain would be a total basket-case economically.

What about all the indirect taxes they pay ? Or do they just send the 23k 'back home' ?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

HMRC have been quoted as saying that between 2013-14 EU Migrants made a net contribution of GBP £2.5 billion.

Doesn't sound like freeloading to me.

I think everyone entitled to vote has a duty to do so. You may not live in the UK now but you are considered to have a right to at any time through your citizenship for example. This is a very big thing for the UK and will effect everyone. I don't personally think the pound will suffer from leaving the EU. All the evidence actually shows how the UK will prosper. There is no reliable evidence it will be worse out the EU. At present too much of the U.K. Regulations are dictated by people not elected by the UK people. That is not democracy and not what I want for the UK so I'm voting out.

Fair enough, everyone has their vote.

Don't be under any illusion that this will change anything in relation to freedom of movement or compliance with European regulations, both of which will be essential to secure any trade deal. The Leave Campaign have been been very pick and choose in relation to what any trade deals would mean; i.e. "We will get a Canadian deal" (no free movement). That is great, but the Canadian deal does not cover financial services either....ooops.

The Greek's gave a landslide mandate to a government that was going to reject austerity, that government then turned around and accepted it. In the same way we could leave the EU to gain "sovereignty" and then sign it all back away for trade deals and then not sit at the top table.

Is the EU perfect? Of course not, but I have not seen anything approaching a coherent economic argument for leaving as of yet.

Fair enough, everyone has their vote.

Don't be under any illusion that this will change anything in relation to freedom of movement or compliance with European regulations, both of which will be essential to secure any trade deal. The Leave Campaign have been been very pick and choose in relation to what any trade deals would mean; i.e. "We will get a Canadian deal" (no free movement). That is great, but the Canadian deal does not cover financial services either....ooops.

The Greek's gave a landslide mandate to a government that was going to reject austerity, that government then turned around and accepted it. In the same way we could leave the EU to gain "sovereignty" and then sign it all back away for trade deals and then not sit at the top table.

Is the EU perfect? Of course not, but I have not seen anything approaching a coherent economic argument for leaving as of yet.

Agree with all of this.

Yes, the EU has many shortcomings but there can be little argument that it makes economic sense to be in the club. Nor, as I said previously, that Britain gains hugely by immigration (at the expense of other countries in the union).

The reality is that the referendum would never have happened and a debate would not even have taken place if it wasn't for the rampant xenophobia, fear-mongering and lies stoked by UKIP, certain Tories, and the majority of the Press against the free movement of labour within the EU. All the other 'issues' are window-dressing to those advocating Leave.

Ultimately though free movement settles down in time. There is free movement across the United States but you don't find everyone living in California (for example). Most people remain in the State they were born and/or retain an allegiance to it and that will be even more so in Europe where there is no shared language and a more diverse cultural background. A sense of perspective is needed.

I have been thinking that the UK should leave the EU for many years. Im not sure why but I just have..

I earned a higher wage when I was 21 than when I did last year at the age of 31, and this was hugely due to the ability to take advantage of low paid workers normally from certain EU countries to do or try to do the same job as Ive been doing for a long time. My salary in Australia is nearly 5x of the salary I earned in the UK, I know its comparing apples and pears but 5x is a crazy difference in Earnings.

I really would like the UK to flourish and do well outside of the EU, Im sure 30day visas granted on a EU passport is not too hard to arrange, skilled migration, controlled migration. Trade deals will be agreed with Europe before the UK even left and the Pound will be safe.

I feel this will be the last time this opportunity will ever happen and all I ask for is a fair vote and lets see how things turn out :-)

Exactly my thoughts, parley. We're registered to vote by post and can't wait to Vote LEAVE on 23 June! If you haven't already done so, I urge you all to watch 'Brexit: The Movie' on YouTube, everyone, and find out WHY we should leave the corrupt and anti-democratic EU! Cheers, all!

Trade deals will be agreed with Europe before the UK even left and the Pound will be safe.

My understanding is that once we vote to leave there then kicks in a formal process that is enshrined in treaties that means we don't negotiate the terms of exit, it is decided by the remaining states and we automatically agree. This means we can't assume trade deals are a given, and especially not pre exit.

This means that trade deals will not be in place until after we have left. Sounds a bit risky to me ;-)

Many who are voting "remain" are doing so as they voted for a Labour UK government, and didn't get one, so they want to remain in the EU to get socialism by the back door.

The silly fools have not noticed that the Far Right parties are on a huge rise across the EU.

So at the next EU election they may find that by remaining in they are under the aegis of a hard-right-wing EU government, one over which they have no influence.