UK Jobs Market

JudiW101

Hi, can anyone who has already moved back tell me what the jobs market is like in the UK? We're currently living in Perth and its so tough here. We're contemplating moving back to England's North East but were wondering about the availability of jobs? Can anyone give me some idea? Would really appreciate it.

UK overall unemployment is 5.1% and falling. Generally 5% is considered to be very low, unlikely to ever get 3% say no matter how good the economy is. Things generally feel positive on the street I would say too, I am in the South East and have relatives in the Midlands and everyone is doing well.

The NE has a higher unemployment rate though at 7.8% which generally means things would be feeling a bit uncomfortable, but then I expect NE is always above average. At least it is also falling though which is good. If you have family in the area, probably wise to get some ideas from them too.

I think it's purely dependent on where you are living in the UK. We are in the North Yorkshire and we both have fairly good jobs, yet utilities our going up including council tax, nursery fees are going up, the value of our house is barely moving we have been in negative equity for 7 years, unemployment is 6% and I have now not it had a pay rise for 4 years. My oh had a 1% pay rise last year.

Currently unemployment in the north east is 8% and To give you a comparison unemployment in Kent is currently 1.6%

Depends what you're looking for. When we were coming back the NE was the only place with a job which matched my husband's skills and I know of a couple of others who have had no problems getting jobs here either.

Depending on what you want to do, there seem to be plenty of jobs around, but finding exactly what you're looking for might be more difficult wherever you decide to go.

http://www.indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=&l=North+East

This might give you an idea

Edited by caramac

perhaps you should try to get a job before you move back so you dont burn bridges & find yourself in a trickier position than you are now. unemployment rates in perth at the end of feb look a lot better than a lot of the uk especially the area you want to go to.

perhaps you should try to get a job before you move back so you dont burn bridges & find yourself in a trickier position than you are now. unemployment rates in perth at the end of feb look a lot better than a lot of the uk especially the area you want to go to.

And of course the unemployment rate in Perth also looks a lot worse than a lot of the UK.

I think it's purely dependent on where you are living in the UK. We are in the North Yorkshire and we both have fairly good jobs, yet utilities our going up including council tax, nursery fees are going up, the value of our house is barely moving we have been in negative equity for 7 years, unemployment is 6% and I have now not it had a pay rise for 4 years. My oh had a 1% pay rise last year.

Currently unemployment in the north east is 8% and To give you a comparison unemployment in Kent is currently 1.6%

You should look into your utilities, I always shop around and pay less every year as there are some great deals.

And of course the unemployment rate in Perth also looks a lot worse than a lot of the UK.

Some people are just horrified at the thought of others heading home to the UK aren't they?! :smile:

So members are allowed to tell someone in the UK to find work before coming here to Aus,as many do , all the time,, but if someone says it to someone coming to the UK they are belittled ??? I see no difference in the comments, regardless of the way they are thinking of moving.

Cal x

So members are allowed to tell someone in the UK to find work before coming here to Aus,as many do , all the time,, but if someone says it to someone coming to the UK they are belittled ??? I see no difference in the comments, regardless of the way they are thinking of moving.

Cal x

I don't think that it's the actual advice offered here Cal which is the issue, it's more about certain posters who are purportedly happy in Australia constantly drip-feeding negativity towards those seeking to return to the UK. For what it's worth, I think it's rotten too when posters attempt to put off people from moving out to Australia because they have some agenda against the place. Both sets of posters are as bad as each other in my book. :smile:

I would honestly try and find a job here before you comeback I wish I did.. The problem in the NE is there is a hell of a lot of people applying for jobs. The best website you can go on and job search to get an idea of what your up against is http://www.reed.co.uk, the reason for this it details the amount of people who applied for the role. I have applied for jobs in my field, I'm degree qualified and I tend to have about 40 other people applying for the roles I go after. I also apply for lower jobs and there is at least 100 applying. So its tough.. I don't think my WA work experience counts for much at all.. Ironic really because it was the same when I moved to Perth.

I am in the process of moving back to Perth. The reasons for me include, job market is poor in NE and I don't want a SE mortgage. Miss the sun and beach..

Some people are just horrified at the thought of others heading home to the UK aren't they?! :smile:

im not horrified. i moved back to the uk myself for a couple of years. it was a huge mistake & wasted a lot of money but sometimes you just have to do it to find out where you really want to be. people should do it with there eyes open though thats all. dont be so sensitive.

I would honestly try and find a job here before you comeback I wish I did.. The problem in the NE is there is a hell of a lot of people applying for jobs. The best website you can go on and job search to get an idea of what your up against is www.reed.co.uk, the reason for this it details the amount of people who applied for the role. I have applied for jobs in my field, I'm degree qualified and I tend to have about 40 other people applying for the roles I go after. I also apply for lower jobs and there is at least 100 applying. So its tough.. I don't think my WA work experience counts for much at all.. Ironic really because it was the same when I moved to Perth.

I am in the process of moving back to Perth. The reasons for me include, job market is poor in NE and I don't want a SE mortgage. Miss the sun and beach..

I would be very careful - the Perth job market has gone down hill a LOT in the last 18 months. I am originally from the NE - Middlesbrough and I would say it is on a par with some pockets that are worse