Will you be voting on the uk referendum

Liam13

If you live overseas and are eligible to vote it will be interesting how it will be organised.

When we were eligible to vote in UK elections it was impossible because of the time scale.

Unless it has changed, the postal vote was posted 1 week before the election, but had to be back before Election Day!!! So unless you were lucky enough to receive it in only a few days, mail can take up to 10 days for post from UK to to the Sunshine Coast, the only way we could vote was by giving someone our proxy vote.

this was our understanding at the time.

We have registered for postal vote but we are concerned about timing, especially as we are on holiday for over a week before the referendum! We used to get our ballot cards weeks in advance in Scotland but we're new to this postal lark.

Voting remain, quite resolutely.

If you live overseas and are eligible to vote it will be interesting how it will be organised.

When we were eligible to vote in UK elections it was impossible because of the time scale.

Unless it has changed, the postal vote was posted 1 week before the election, but had to be back before Election Day!!! So unless you were lucky enough to receive it in only a few days, mail can take up to 10 days for post from UK to to the Sunshine Coast, the only way we could vote was by giving someone our proxy vote.

this was our understanding at the time.

We have just found that out too. We are registered but postal vote for those living overseas it is all but impossible. Proxy or nothing. Not sure how that works.

We have just found that out too. We are registered but postal vote for those living overseas it is all but impossible. Proxy or nothing. Not sure how that works.

I thought they just mail you a form, and you mail it back. My parents spend half their time in Portugal and vote this way... I'm not an expert though. This will be my first time.

I thought they just mail you a form, and you mail it back. My parents spend half their time in Portugal and vote this way... I'm not an expert though. This will be my first time.

Post might reach Portugal in time to return? Not much hope in Australia.

proxy is easy to arrange - I've just realized that I will be away for the welsh assembly voting so I asked a friend to be my proxy by email. I googled UK proxy vote, downloaded a simple form which asked for date of birth,usual address and post code and the name and address of your proxy, also reason you are unable to vote in person. Send it back to the address on the website to arrive at least (6 or 7 can't remember which) days before the election and they will send a form to your proxy, who takes it with them on voting day and does the deed.

I was in Australia at the time of the referendum on the alternate voting system. Got my voting papers a day or two before voting day, so it effectively wasn't possible to vote. I didn't think about proxy voting as I had expected to receive papers on time, but also I think you have to get someone to go to your own (previous) constituency but I did not have anyone living nearby that I would consider asking.

Obama's visit this week certainly appears to coincide with a surge in the Remain camp. I am one that finds his interference annoying particularly as he would never want a similar "North America" arrangement with Canada and Mexico.

I will be voting Leave. No side can predict the future so I don't buy any of this 'leaving is high risk' scaremongering, as is suggestions that the EU and rest of the entire world will cut off all business ties were we outside the EU. We do however have passed experience to go with remain and I'm not impressed, the U.K. is a net contributor and some of our European 'friends' (Netherlands, Luxembourg, Ireland) are always undercutting us on corporation tax, I'm not sure how that is defined as working together. I have also seen the difference not having competition for unskilled labour has compared to when I lived in Australia where everyone gets paid reasonably well.

That said remain seems to be the clear favourite (with bookies) and if it wins I will get on with my life, fortunately my job isn't affected

by immigration (touches wood) and I will continue to pay my Polish cleaner half what any English cleaners charge, and likewise enjoy other goods and services continuing to be low priced partly due to the effect of cheap labour.

What are the rules as to who can/can't vote ? I'm emigrating in December and almost feel like I shouldn't be voting as I won't be around to feel the long term effects (although I will still vote)

FWIW I am voting to remain although it's more for selfish reasons as I'll be transferring GBP from our house sale at the end of the year. I also don't want to give SNP ammunition for another bloody independence referendum but that's another story !!!

I was in Australia at the time of the referendum on the alternate voting system. Got my voting papers a day or two before voting day, so it effectively wasn't possible to vote. I didn't think about proxy voting as I had expected to receive papers on time, but also I think you have to get someone to go to your own (previous) constituency but I did not have anyone living nearby that I would consider asking.

Obama's visit this week certainly appears to coincide with a surge in the Remain camp. I am one that finds his interference annoying particularly as he would never want a similar "North America" arrangement with Canada and Mexico.

I can understand that for an election but wasn't expecting it for a referendum though I can see why they might. I will look into it as can't think of anyone I might ask if it is our old constituency. Roll-on online voting.

I can understand that for an election but wasn't expecting it for a referendum though I can see why they might. I will look into it as can't think of anyone I might ask if it is our old constituency. Roll-on online voting.

Yes it could be for the election. As I say I didn't look into it at the time for the alternate voting system referendum, just tried to use the postal system believing it would be a bit more effective than it actually was!

I will be voting Leave. No side can predict the future so I don't buy any of this 'leaving is high risk' scaremongering, as is suggestions that the EU and rest of the entire world will cut off all business ties were we outside the EU. We do however have passed experience to go with remain and I'm not impressed, the U.K. is a net contributor and some of our European 'friends' (Netherlands, Luxembourg, Ireland) are always undercutting us on corporation tax, I'm not sure how that is defined as working together. I have also seen the difference not having competition for unskilled labour has compared to when I lived in Australia where everyone gets paid reasonably well.

That said remain seems to be the clear favourite (with bookies) and if it wins I will get on with my life, fortunately my job isn't affected

by immigration (touches wood) and I will continue to pay my Polish cleaner half what any English cleaners charge, and likewise enjoy other goods and services continuing to be low priced partly due to the effect of cheap labour.

It's not like being a member hasn't been high risk for the past seven years. Just ask Greece, Spain, Portugal, France, Italy etc

• 4 weeks later...

Yes

I have registered to vote by proxy. I think it's pretty important. The common market brainchild had plenty of relevance in 1972 and perhaps even when we had surplus butter mountains that we weren't allowed to slide down but it is no longer beneficial. Perhaps my vote will make no difference but it's the right thing to do.

Millie x

Yes

I have registered to vote by proxy. I think it's pretty important. The common market brainchild had plenty of relevance in 1972 and perhaps even when we had surplus butter mountains that we weren't allowed to slide down but it is no longer beneficial. Perhaps my vote will make no difference but it's the right thing to do.

Millie x

Does it have to be someone in your old constituency. We have drawn a blank because our previous neighbours there are going to be on holiday so are postal voting and we are not in touch with anyone else.

I emailed the returning officer to ask weeks ago but have had no response. I suspect we have missed the boat now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

when you register, you have to put your last known voting address. I haven't received my confirmation yet so I am not sure what restrictions might be on it. it's worth registering though just in case you can get it sorted later

Millie

when you register, you have to put your last known voting address. I haven't received my confirmation yet so I am not sure what restrictions might be on it. it's worth registering though just in case you can get it sorted later

Millie

We registered but don't think that we are going to be able to vote unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is good I think if the frivolous voters are weeded out.

The people who are only voting because of an exchange rate at a given date should not be included in a once in a lifetime vote on the strategic future of Britain and Europe.

So it is probably fate I would say.

Archived