England's Alliance

Johnny

II have one friend leaving Perth tomorrow, another left Blisland yesterday, another keft last week and one leaves on 10th - it really is quite busy!

The pound got hammered over the increasing probability of a "Brexit".

If the newspaper polls keep showing that the majority support leaving the EU, then it might weaken further.

But a word of caution, polls are only polls and they got the general election all wrong.

The pound got hammered over the increasing probability of a "Brexit".

If the newspaper polls keep showing that the majority support leaving the EU, then it might weaken further.

But a word of caution, polls are only polls and they got the general election all wrong.

Massive push by the " in" campaign now ...François hollande ....BMW ...they are all throwing out the scare stories now .

We will open the borders in Calais and allow all migrants through.

For me I don't want a German / Franco European failing superstate with no national identity .

Where patriotism is frowned upon .

Its Britains last chance ...OUT ...OUT ...OUT

We have always stood alone ...one more time

This is simply not true. Britain has always made strategic alliances. Just to pick one obvious example, Britain would not have won WWII by standing alone. Nations that genuinely try to stand alone - Albania, DPRK, Myanmar - tend to achieve little other than poverty.

This is simply not true. Britain has always made strategic alliances. Just to pick one obvious example, Britain would not have won WWII by standing alone. Nations that genuinely try to stand alone - Albania, DPRK, Myanmar - tend to achieve little other than poverty.

Well said.

Massive push by the " in" campaign now ...François hollande ....BMW ...they are all throwing out the scare stories now .

For me I don't want a German / Franco European failing superstate with no national identity .

Quite possible the EU could collapse over the next couple of years. It could be better to stay in and link up with the survivors.

Our alliances are with the commonwealth ( which we sadly cast adrift ,what a mistake ,look at India now ) ,and the united states.

We should go on bended knee to oz ,Canada ,n.z India and the rest of tge commonwealth and say " WE ARE SORRY ".

I love Europe ...france ,Germany ,Austria etc .

I feel lucky to be geographically so close .

But its like being married to a beautiful but dysfunctional woman ....you love her ,but you just don't want to marry her.

You give far more than you receive ,and you know deep down she don't love you anyway .

Its germanys push to finally control Europe .....

Our alliances are with the commonwealth ( which we sadly cast adrift ,what a mistake ,look at India now ) ,and the united states.

We should go on bended knee to oz ,Canada ,n.z India and the rest of tge commonwealth and say " WE ARE SORRY ".

But its like being married to a beautiful but dysfunctional woman ....you love her ,but you just don't want to marry her.

You give far more than you receive ,and you know deep down she don't love you anyway .

This is a completely mad post. Britain never had an "alliance" with the Commonwealth - it colonised it. The colonised didn't appreciate being repeatedly raped so they rose up and declared independence. The whole Commonwealth thing was never about a partnership of equals (the Queen is head of it for goodness sake) and besides, much of the British racism of the 1970s was targeted against migrants from Commonwealth countries including India.

As for the alliance with the US, it is true that Britain does have a special relationship with the US but is it one that could ever compare with the free trading area of the EU? I doubt it. The special relationship seems to me to be about giving more than we receive. The US didn't support Britain when the Falkland Islands were invaded, and they didn't support the pound when it was in freefall.

Germany has no wish to control Europe. It couldn't even sustain control of "greater Germany" and has no wish to expand its current boundaries. The thing with Europe is that it is (was?) a genuine federation of partners.

As for the bended knee stuff - nations do not form advantageous alliances through begging.

This is a completely mad post. Britain never had an "alliance" with the Commonwealth - it colonised it. The colonised didn't appreciate being repeatedly raped so they rose up and declared independence. The whole Commonwealth thing was never about a partnership of equals (the Queen is head of it for goodness sake) and besides, much of the British racism of the 1970s was targeted against migrants from Commonwealth countries including India.

As for the alliance with the US, it is true that Britain does have a special relationship with the US but is it one that could ever compare with the free trading area of the EU? I doubt it. The special relationship seems to me to be about giving more than we receive. The US didn't support Britain when the Falkland Islands were invaded, and they didn't support the pound when it was in freefall.

Germany has no wish to control Europe. It couldn't even sustain control of "greater Germany" and has no wish to expand its current boundaries. The thing with Europe is that it is (was?) a genuine federation of partners.

As for the bended knee stuff - nations do not form advantageous alliances through begging.

The u.s support Britain in the Falklands ....oh yes they did ...aak the lads from the navy who were there

The e.u is a failed project ,that's about to go up in smoke .

As I stated before ,the u.k is the worlds 5th largest economy ....we buy £59 billion more from the e.u per year than we sell .

Out for me ...

The u.s support Britain in the Falklands ....oh yes they did ...aak the lads from the navy who were there

The e.u is a failed project ,that's about to go up in smoke .

As I stated before ,the u.k is the worlds 5th largest economy ....we buy £59 billion more from the e.u per year than we sell .

Out for me ...

I've just read your post again ..." Free trade area ".....**** off

It costs £24 million a DAY to be in the "free " trade club .

A lot of that money by the way is going to the eastern members of the e.u .

Fair enough ...poland has brand new roads ,infasteucture going in .

Britain on the other hand ,the 5th biggest economy in the world ,is reduced to patch repairs ....its a ****ing joke .

No - it is a fact that the US did not support the British military engagement.

i saw a bbc documentary that said they gave missiles & other support. the doco interviewed people connected to arranging the help who said the assistance provided more or less saved the day.

No - it is a fact that the US did not support the British military engagement.

Not publicly ,as I recall alexander haigh was the peace envoy .

How did the British know of the Argentinian build up ?

The movement and whereabouts of the Argentinian navy ?

Could it possibly have been those u.s spy satellites.

I had a mate on hms arrow .....supplies were offloaded by the u.s navy

Did the bloke who arranged the trip blow his 10,000 quid or was he lucky?

I don't bet ,it doesn't interest me at all ...i couldn't live with that outlay at the moment .

One scouse lad didn't win bugger all .

All the others I think done very well .

But when you have 10k disposable income ,it doesn't matter .

We did live like kings though

Meals on the 108th floor of the mandarin hotel..

A meal in the top floor of the revolving stratosphere restaurant overlooking the strip ...6 main meals ...3 sides a beer each £500 .

But do know what it means nothing to me .....pint of guinness and a bag of crisps would do me .

Some hotels are looking slightly tired ,and quite empty now .

My 3 top hotels ...bellagio ...caesars palace and the venetian .....the others are much the same ...

5 days was enough

From what I gleaned: The yanks did indeed help in that offered surveillance and provided us with other intelligence. OTOH, they objected and insisted on a "deferral" of our special forces actually hitting the Argentinians on their homeland. "special force rumour" actually has it that the SAS team sent into Argentina to destroy their air force on the ground were betrayed by the CIA

From what I gleaned: The yanks did indeed help in that offered surveillance and provided us with other intelligence. OTOH, they objected and insisted on a "deferral" of our special forces actually hitting the Argentinians on their homeland. "special force rumour" actually has it that the SAS team sent into Argentina to destroy their air force on the ground were betrayed by the CIA

I'd never heard of this? So the UK was fighting outside of the military zone? I'll have to read up on this. Any links appreciated.

I'd never heard of this? So the UK was fighting outside of the military zone? I'll have to read up on this. Any links appreciated.

If my memory serves me, one mission failed (chat has it that the Argies were tipped off that they were coming anyway) but the squadron extracted to Chile and were repatriated which was shown on the news at the time (maggies special relationship with the dictator) Rumour has it, amongst Special Forces, that there were some successful missions on the mainland but the stories are suppressed for security reasons.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2592320/The-secret-disastrous-SAS-attempt-invade-Argentina-revealed-In-Falklands-War-crack-troops-suicidal-mission-storm-Galtieris-Exocet-missile-base-This-story-told-time.html

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/471412/Secret-death-toll-of-SAS-war-in-Argentina

It wasn't just that we cast them adrift, certainly not Australia or NZ.

In WWII, it became apparent that Britain was too weak to defend the East and after Malay and Singapore fell, Australia realised that Britain would never be as strong again, so being that closely politically aligned would expose them to threat and leave them cut off.

Britain realised that it was in no position to dictate defence policy to Australia if it couldn't back up words with actions, so they were forced to retreat and let Australia go it's own way.

A sort of amicable divorce, but Australia turned more towards the USA, who are the major defenders of the region today.

I remember when Britain dumped its Commonwealth and jumped into bed with the Euro rabble. Many Australian primary producers were driven to bankruptcy, poverty and worse. There was much ill-feeling of betrayal and disloyalty towards the British at the time. It was considered a huge insult to the memory of tens of thousands of Australian men who had fought and died fighting Britain's wars. Of course they should get out - but they should never had joined in the first place.

Archived