What just bit me ?

Metoo

Hi, can anybody tell me what these are please?

I was cutting the hedge back from the drive and they swarmed at me (didn't notice the nest) anyway it bloody hurt. Feels like wasp stings, both arms

Well that just put me off gardening :confused: Thanks

IMG_3607.jpg

IMG_3606.jpg

IMG_3606.jpg

IMG_3607.jpg

They look like some type of paper wasp. They are usually fine if left alone. We have a small nest out to the side and we know it's there so just give them space. No issues so far. It's when you disturb them they get cross.

I've just encountered a huuuuuge beetle on the way to the shower. Why does Australia have so much weird and scary looking stuff

There are more weird and scared backpackers floating around australia than weird and scary animals.

ETA - Although there are a few animals in the tropics that are very good at making their unwelcome way into closed tents at night...........

Edited by dmjg

Thanks guys, yes I think bob is right. The sting felt just like a wasp sting and the picture looks just like them.

After washing both both arms I covered my bites in Eurax and took an antihistamine just in case.

By the time we had had our dinner things had calmed down so we settled down on the sofa to watch a movie. I felt Mr Metoo tickling my bear shoulder. After scolding him "cos it's not funny" we both leapt off the couch. A big cockroach was actually CRAWLING ON MY SHOULDER!!!!!!! Jesus wept. He managed to get it out the patio door.

Is is it just me that's unlucky or does this happen to everyone.

Mr Metoo thinks I make a fuss about nothing and that I just have to get used to living in a country with bugs.

You do calm down about bugs, well I certainly have. We get the house sprayed once a year and have Mortein Bombs and Mortein automated sprays so we don't get anything actually inside the house now. I've had a cockroach run up my leg in our pool pump room and I just shook it off, a few years ago I'd have screamed. It's only snakes I'm scared of now :laugh:

You do calm down about bugs, well I certainly have. We get the house sprayed once a year and have Mortein Bombs and Mortein automated sprays so we don't get anything actually inside the house now. I've had a cockroach run up my leg in our pool pump room and I just shook it off, a few years ago I'd have screamed. It's only snakes I'm scared of now :laugh:

I've never minded bugs, spiders or anything creepy crawly until we discovered that the cockroaches fly!!! I can't remember what time of year they start, but hearing one start up as soon as you've hopped into bed is very disconcerting. They seem to dive bomb your face in the dark and they're so bloody loud!

They have no sense of direction either, so crash their horrible armoured bodies into anything in their path - walls, doors, mirrors, faces.... Revolting things.

I've never minded bugs, spiders or anything creepy crawly until we discovered that the cockroaches fly!!! I can't remember what time of year they start, but hearing one start up as soon as you've hopped into bed is very disconcerting. They seem to dive bomb your face in the dark and they're so bloody loud!

They have no sense of direction either, so crash their horrible armoured bodies into anything in their path - walls, doors, mirrors, faces.... Revolting things.

Thankfully I've never seen a flying one. Eurgghh.