Should we risk all and leave our jobs in UK for 457 visa?

Needtoknow

You have certainly been through it! But it has been worth it in the end. Thank you for putting so much effort into sharing your experiences. I really hope it turns out ok. Not sure I could cope with having to leave, but like you say I have no choice. I am going to speak to an agent tomorrow and sort out CV ready to apply for jobs.

Go for it, if you have any questions or queries feel free to reach out - I am not a qualified expert but certainly have had 5 years experience of 457 visas!!!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the words of Happy Talk: “You got to have a dream. If you don’t have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true”.

But, there are things worth considering.

First: 457 visas are temporary. You are at the mercy of the sponsoring employer continuing to love you. My experience is that Australian workplaces can be very volatile and many people are fighting for survival on a daily basis.

If you are the secondary visa holder, you are also at the mercy of the primary visa holder’s employment. That would make you unattractive for an ongoing role, especially if the role is based around a year long commitment to teaching a class. Plus, many teachers in Australia are struggling to get ongoing work right now and find themselves on temporary contracts or CRT work.

A further issue is that as a temporary visa holder, you are likely to encounter additional expenses. It will be harder to get a rental property, hard to get credit, you may need to pay for services (e.g. education) that would be cheaper or free for permanent residents.

Retirement funding is also an issue – although one that would only really be an issue if you were able to get permanent residence. Australia has placed its faith in superannuation. This relies on investments growing at a rate in excess of inflation over many years. Compound interest means that being in from a young age makes a huge difference. By way of example, a primary school teacher putting $6000 a year into super and getting 5% return above the rate of inflation would end up with a fund of $200k after 20 years and $1m after 46 years (in today’s money). Hence, joining the scheme in mid forties would land you up with only 20% of the retirement fund you would have had after an entire career. This would be offset in part by the occupational pension you have accrued from the UK, but this would only ever be a partial pension because it was only accrued over half a career.

By far the biggest risk would be the likelihood that you’d have to leave Australia at some point with 3 months notice and need to start again back in the UK.

Hi again. Can I ask why you think I am unlikely to get a permanent job in Australia? Is it because it's not on the SOL list or do you just know from living there and perhaps people you know? Thanks. Leanne

First, you aren't going to be qualified to teach and getting that extra year is going to be costly in Australia as you will be an international student if you do it there. If you do it in UK you're going to be older and it could have dropped off lists even if it is still on somewhere now. Also if you go on your husband's temporary visa you wouldn't score a permanent job for obvious reasons.

Secondly, all the places that people actually want to live are awash with teachers who can't get jobs and NSW has so many that they have a sort of a points system whereby they give priority to people who have done a few years out in rural and remote settings who then want to apply for "plum" positions.

Third you will be more expensive for them than a newly minted teacher and when they are in cost cutting mode they will either go for a new grad at the bottom of the scale or they will try and cover using what they've got on hand.

And you're getting a bit long in the tooth (I know you're not "old" old but it's a young person 's game.)

If you're not set on teaching out the rest of your days you could try and use your skills elsewhere if your husband can get a visa but even then older people dependent on temporary residents struggle to get meaningful jobs with good incomes. I guess it is all going to come down to whether he can get sponsorship or a permanent visa.

Whatever you do don't give up your permanent position, take a career break (both of you)

Sounds really scary. Did it work out for you?

I decided to resign, my employer was borrowing money to pay wages. Jump before pushed.

we decided to come back to the UK, getting another 457 was going to be hard. Now I'm looking at getting or via skills or spouse

In the words of Happy Talk: “You got to have a dream. If you don’t have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true”.

But, there are things worth considering.

First: 457 visas are temporary. You are at the mercy of the sponsoring employer continuing to love you. My experience is that Australian workplaces can be very volatile and many people are fighting for survival on a daily basis.

If you are the secondary visa holder, you are also at the mercy of the primary visa holder’s employment. That would make you unattractive for an ongoing role, especially if the role is based around a year long commitment to teaching a class. Plus, many teachers in Australia are struggling to get ongoing work right now and find themselves on temporary contracts or CRT work.

A further issue is that as a temporary visa holder, you are likely to encounter additional expenses. It will be harder to get a rental property, hard to get credit, you may need to pay for services (e.g. education) that would be cheaper or free for permanent residents.

Retirement funding is also an issue – although one that would only really be an issue if you were able to get permanent residence. Australia has placed its faith in superannuation. This relies on investments growing at a rate in excess of inflation over many years. Compound interest means that being in from a young age makes a huge difference. By way of example, a primary school teacher putting $6000 a year into super and getting 5% return above the rate of inflation would end up with a fund of $200k after 20 years and $1m after 46 years (in today’s money). Hence, joining the scheme in mid forties would land you up with only 20% of the retirement fund you would have had after an entire career. This would be offset in part by the occupational pension you have accrued from the UK, but this would only ever be a partial pension because it was only accrued over half a career.

By far the biggest risk would be the likelihood that you’d have to leave Australia at some point with 3 months notice and need to start again back in the UK.

I hadn't considered the retirement thing. Yes the risk is enormous and certainly very worrying. Thank you

He could get a job anywhere in Australia as long as he was sponsored by an employer.

There's a lot of negativity on this forum re:457. And it's not easy, because you are always looking over your shoulder in case you get made redundant. BUT. You're in your 40's, your kids are practically adults, this is your time. Go for it. Take a risk. You never know what will happen in life and at least you'll have tried.

My hubby & I and my 15 year old step son came over almost 5 years ago on a 457. We were in a very precarious industry and a few times we thought we'd have to go back to the UK. However, we got PR in 2013 and then on 26 Jan this year I became a citizen (just applied for my Oz passport!). So it can work out. Just to add a bit of balance to the "got made redundant, had to go home" stories.

We we are currently in our application process for our 457, myself, husband & 4yr old daughter, we are going with that mindset, it will be a 4 year life experience that allows time with my family,

if it is forever then it was meant to be!

But they would be entitled to an Australian pension after 10 years of residence wouldn't they? and could keep paying national insurance contributions from Australia to add to the UK pension.

First, you aren't going to be qualified to teach and getting that extra year is going to be costly in Australia as you will be an international student if you do it there. If you do it in UK you're going to be older and it could have dropped off lists even if it is still on somewhere now. Also if you go on your husband's temporary visa you wouldn't score a permanent job for obvious reasons.

Secondly, all the places that people actually want to live are awash with teachers who can't get jobs and NSW has so many that they have a sort of a points system whereby they give priority to people who have done a few years out in rural and remote settings who then want to apply for "plum" positions.

Third you will be more expensive for them than a newly minted teacher and when they are in cost cutting mode they will either go for a new grad at the bottom of the scale or they will try and cover using what they've got on hand.

And you're getting a bit long in the tooth (I know you're not "old" old but it's a young person 's game.)

If you're not set on teaching out the rest of your days you could try and use your skills elsewhere if your husband can get a visa but even then older people dependent on temporary residents struggle to get meaningful jobs with good incomes. I guess it is all going to come down to whether he can get sponsorship or a permanent visa.

Whatever you do don't give up your permanent position, take a career break (both of you)

Thank you for the advice. I think I will consider doing something else and then (if money is OK) try to get extra credits from a uni course. I've been told by my headteacher that I may only need to top up, but not really sure until I ask over there.

It's difficult to think what else to do...maybe a classroom assistant for a while to get foot in the door and find out about the education system over there. Are these jobs in demand?

Bruce (name is apt for Australia :) ) would have to lose his job here, but would I be able to ask for a couple of years out of work? Does anyone know if my job could be held open for me? I might start a new thread.

Another possibility for us is to live at my mums until we have the security of permanency.This would avoid the problem of renting issues. Not ideal but it's a thought.

We we are currently in our application process for our 457, myself, husband & 4yr old daughter, we are going with that mindset, it will be a 4 year life experience that allows time with my family,

if it is forever then it was meant to be!

Good luck to the 3 of you. I hope it works out for you. What is scaring me is that we can be asked to leave literally at any time. :( Why are you going the 457 route?

Good luck to the 3 of you. I hope it works out for you. What is scaring me is that we can be asked to leave literally at any time. :( Why are you going the 457 route?

Age issues for my husband on skilled visa, over 45, I have a job with the company my brother owns, I took redundancy after 20 plus years so decided to go for it! Fingers crossed!

Ps we have used an MA

Not good Pingpoma. How old are you? Do you have plenty of time? So you are in UK now?

yep in uk

I'm in the 32-39 category, but with spouse visa you can be any age

I'm looking at skilled because its cheaper than partner visa and I am eligible

still not sure what to do, one agent says partner because its as close to entitlement as any visa can be, the other says I'm a shoe in for skilled so save the money

Thank you for the advice. I think I will consider doing something else and then (if money is OK) try to get extra credits from a uni course. I've been told by my headteacher that I may only need to top up, but not really sure until I ask over there.

It's difficult to think what else to do...maybe a classroom assistant for a while to get foot in the door and find out about the education system over there. Are these jobs in demand?

Bruce (name is apt for Australia :) ) would have to lose his job here, but would I be able to ask for a couple of years out of work? Does anyone know if my job could be held open for me? I might start a new thread.

Another possibility for us is to live at my mums until we have the security of permanency.This would avoid the problem of renting issues. Not ideal but it's a thought.

I know in health it was a sliding scale for the career break e.g. 1 year - same job, 2nd year same job but may be different location etc. What you would need to do is see what the policy is for the education dept. I can't comment for NSW but I know in WA there was a lot of cuts to education last year and a number of teaching assistants lost jobs or reduced hours. My friend is a classroom assistant and whilst her hours weren't cut, she has to now work across two classrooms. Having said that, things change all the time and sometimes for the better.

Age issues for my husband on skilled visa, over 45, I have a job with the company my brother owns, I took redundancy after 20 plus years so decided to go for it! Fingers crossed!

Ps we have used an MA

I've just been speaking to an agent and she said that PR must happen before you are 50, but you can't get it for 2 years. Will you be OK for that?

Also she said that Bruce must have worked in the job he is applying for for the past 3 years for a 457 visa. He has only been in the job for 2 and we thought this was ok?

Go for it, if you have any questions or queries feel free to reach out - I am not a qualified expert but certainly have had 5 years experience of 457 visas!!!

Hi there. An agent told me we have to have been working for 3 years for a 457 visa. Is this true because another agent said the past 12 months would do? He has been working for this company for about 18 months but before that was self employed as a builder which is not the job he is going for.

Hi there. An agent told me we have to have been working for 3 years for a 457 visa. Is this true because another agent said the past 12 months would do? He has been working for this company for about 18 months but before that was self employed as a builder which is not the job he is going for.

Needtoknow, who are these agents who've been giving you this advice? Are they MARA registered? There are some good agents out there but there are a lot of shonks as well. I think you need to find yourself a good agent like @wrussell who's on the forums here, and get the right story.

Needtoknow, who are these agents who've been giving you this advice? Are they MARA registered? There are some good agents out there but there are a lot of shonks as well. I think you need to find yourself a good agent like @wrussell who's on the forums here, and get the right story.

They are all MARA registered who I have talked to but one said 12months is adequate on 457 and another said 3 years. :(

They are all MARA registered who I have talked to but one said 12months is adequate on 457 and another said 3 years. :(

It depends how you are going to getthe PR.

If you are eligible for it without the 2 years working for an employer on the 457, yes, 12 months is fine - so is 2 months - in fact you can get it straight away and forget all about the 457

if you are looking at the route on a 457 to avoid a skills assessment then its 2 years,mnimum.

As for how long you work in a job before getting a 457, thats up to the employer. I know people who have been out of work for months before getting a 457. There is no 'rule' on that one its up to the employer - you just have to have the relevant skills to be accepted by them at the job interview, andproduce any reevant paperwork to go for the visa to showyou (or he) can do the job

It depends how you are going to getthe PR.

If you are eligible for it without the 2 years working for an employer on the 457, yes, 12 months is fine - so is 2 months - in fact you can get it straight away and forget all about the 457

if you are looking at the route on a 457 to avoid a skills assessment then its 2 years,mnimum.

As for how long you work in a job before getting a 457, thats up to the employer. I know people who have been out of work for months before getting a 457. There is no 'rule' on that one its up to the employer - you just have to have the relevant skills to be accepted by them at the job interview, andproduce any reevant paperwork to go for the visa to showyou (or he) can do the job

That's good then. So I'm understanding that we can go as long as an employer wants to give him a job even though he only has around 18 months in this current job in the uk.

So as far as you know, are there no restrictions on getting a 457 visa unless the employer restricts you in some way? Sorry for going on and on :)

That's good then. So I'm understanding that we can go as long as an employer wants to give him a job even though he only has around 18 months in this current job in the uk.

So as far as you know, are there no restrictions on getting a 457 visa unless the employer restricts you in some way? Sorry for going on and on :)

What do you mean restrictions? If an employer is eligible to recruit people on a 457 visa and he feels your husband's skills are suitable, then he can offer him the job. The employer gets to choose how long the contract can be - it might be for just a year, or it could be up to 4 years. At the end of the contract you'll have to return to the UK unless you are able to apply for PR or find another 457.

What do you mean restrictions? If an employer is eligible to recruit people on a 457 visa and he feels your husband's skills are suitable, then he can offer him the job. The employer gets to choose how long the contract can be - it might be for just a year, or it could be up to 4 years. At the end of the contract you'll have to return to the UK unless you are able to apply for PR or find another 457.

Thank you. I am clear on this now. We are going to start applying for jobs and will ask prospective employers if they have offered PR before and if there will be a chance of getting it if everything works out.

Thank you. I am clear on this now. We are going to start applying for jobs and will ask prospective employers if they have offered PR before and if there will be a chance of getting it if everything works out.

Few employers offer PR directly, even if they say to you that they will sponsor for PR after 457 things may change within their company or their is a freeze on jobs etc., If you can apply for an independent PR visa from the get go this is your best option.

Your husband needs to provide evidence that he's qualified for the job, and that can depend on the type of work. Some occupations may require a year experience and others may need 3 (or more).

Archived