Jetpets Dog Death

MelanieJS

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/30706421/dog-dead-another-injured-covered-in-blood-during-terrifying-jetpet-animal-flight/

I am in the process of using Jetpets to send my two dogs from Brisbane to UK - now I'm not so sure after reading this - those poor dogs.

Not sure who else to use though. Used Dogtainers to bring my dogs from Melbourne to Brisbane and didn't really rate them.

To be honest it looks like that could happen whoever you went with. They are treated as cargo as that is what they are to the airline. The one who died, probably would have died no matter who. And the one who scratched until his claws came off, well there is nobody in the cargo hold with them, so that also could have happened. It's all well and good them saying 'he'd been on long distance flights before and had been fine'. A dog can't talk to us. We don't know how freaked out the dog had been from previous flights. Bad memories could have made it freak.

Years ago there were cases of dogs escaping onto the runways and getting lost. I'd be far more worried about stories like that.

Guest The Pom Queen

This is a tragic case and I would presume because the dog is a brachycephalic breed this has been the cause. The other dog looks like he panicked and tried to get out of the cage. I wouldn't put the blame on jet pets.

I do tend to agree with the others. The snub nosed breeds are far more at risk to fly and its at the owners risk. No matter how good the airline or shipper, those breeds are going to have a fatality now and again during transport. Its alas the down side of those breeds and choosing to fly them any distance.

With the other dog, its possible it became spooked by something and that set it off. We can't ever know. I am not surprised at the damage to his claws in such a crate. The front of that lends itself to doing damage if a dog scratches at it.

You are reading about 2 cases that happened one soon after the other. I don't read reports like this very often at all for any reputable pet shipper. Its probably not the norm for this shipper either.

I read far more decent reviews and feedback than I do negative from all the main shippers. There will always be the occasional dog that gets stressed or panics or in the worst case dies in transit.

This is a tragic case and I would presume because the dog is a brachycephalic breed this has been the cause. The other dog looks like he panicked and tried to get out of the cage. I wouldn't put the blame on jet pets.

Don't most airline refuse to fly these breeds because of the heightened risk?

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/30706421/dog-dead-another-injured-covered-in-blood-during-terrifying-jetpet-animal-flight/

I am in the process of using Jetpets to send my two dogs from Brisbane to UK - now I'm not so sure after reading this - those poor dogs.

Not sure who else to use though. Used Dogtainers to bring my dogs from Melbourne to Brisbane and didn't really rate them.

I do empathise with the dogs owners in these cases, I also feel for the others involved. I do think sometimes these days it's too easy to go online and vent when perhaps in times of intense emotions and grief .... I would also say that perhaps the owners of the dog felt that were not receiving enough compassion from Jetpets and or the Airline who flew the dogs....it's a very difficult place to be for all involved. I also think this is a bit 'sensationalised' by the 'West' ...the full autopsy results into the dogs death aren't even in yet....something not untypical in my experience myself being very familiar with decades of stories from the West Australian Newspaper.

It does sound like the snub nosed breed who unfortunately died may have gotten into respiratory distress, perhaps the summer season in Australia is also an added factor here. It can bring an increased risk when transporting these particular types of dogs and it is why airlines do choose not to transport them. The retriever who lost it's toenails it does sound like it got into 'panic' mode ...I wonder how familiarised it was to being in a crate prior to transport? I guess being put on flights to anywhere ....it's just not something most dogs do every day and yes there will be some who don't cope as well and some who unfortunately pass away.

I'm moving my 3 in May from the Uk to Melbourne ...albeit no I'm not with Jetpets ...I guess all I can offer you is some moral support and say no this story has not put me off flying my furbabies out nor would it put me off Jet Pets. I do think it's unlikely they will be found to be negligent in their degree of care ...of course that is no salve to those upset fur baby owners.

Best of luck and think positive ...these are the exceptions rather than the rule me thinks cheers Mary-Anne

Edited by maryannen

Brachileptic breeds can be a problem or so I have been told , we are flying our Shar Pei form UK to Oz in April Emiartes won't fly them in their summer is May to October ,Quantas will but with a disclaimer Maybe it was a very hot day when the mastiff was flown My son has shipped with Jetpets a couple of times and had no problems

dogs cats etc are crated up and a while before departure are delivered to the plane, they sit in their crates on a baggage trolley for a about 10 mins then are loaded.

much the same at the destination, unloaded left on pan for roughly 10 mins then collected, normally the pets are not collected by the baggage guys, they just take the pets off the aircraft and leave them somewhere out of the way for the right people to collect them.

my reason for telling you this.....

A flightline is one of the fastest, busiest, loudest places you could expect to find, take a look next time you are waiting for a flight, combine this with the sound of jet engines and APU's (small jet engines used mostly on the ground) and you have an environment which i would guess is extremely stressful for most pets.

the cargo holds are quieter but still far from serene, windowless and brightly lit with loud fans and pumps its hardly a pleasant experience.

I often hear dogs barking like mad in their cages.

this isn't something that can be addressed by using a different company or flight operator, if you fly your pets, this is generally how they go.

i'm not aware of any company who allow pets in the cabin.

Just to let you all know is all, i would guess this isn't in the brochure!

personally i'd only fly my pets if the need were dire, and definitely not do it too often.

Seemingly the hold is at a set temperature but not sure if that still applies whilst on the tarmac for refuel etc One of the reasons we want our Shar Pei to go end of April is because hopefully its not too hot in Dubai where the plane touches down UK wont be too hot and neither will Melbourne ( we hope ) Our boy is only 2 years old and very healthy so hopefully he will be fine Its not an option to leave him in the UK for us

I don't want to leave ours either but I am agonising over what's actually best for our 11 year old noise averse greyhound. She could have a perfectly nice remaining few years with my parents. Alternatively she could have a very stressful journey and then spend the rest of her years muzzled and onlead ( even in dog parks) . Even though my heart says take her....my head says it's for our not her benefit. Hmmmmm.....

I don't want to leave ours either but I am agonising over what's actually best for our 11 year old noise averse greyhound. She could have a perfectly nice remaining few years with my parents. Alternatively she could have a very stressful journey and then spend the rest of her years muzzled and onlead ( even in dog parks) . Even though my heart says take her....my head says it's for our not her benefit. Hmmmmm.....

Oh dear that's a hard one When we came back to the UK in 2013 we left our then 8 year old Pei with my granddaughter -she was a timid dog so very different from the one we will take to Oz so we felt it was best for her even though it upset us We have been back to Oz twice since then and Bonnie is fine quite happy with my granddaughter and thriving

Guess you have some heart wrenching decisions to make ,don't envy you on that one at all

Aircraft holds generally aren't at a set temperature, they are ventilated by the cabin air before it exits the aircraft.

the passenger cabin air comes from the engines,apu or a ground air conditioner (rare), its controlled by a number of thermostat zones from front to back of the cabin.

the air in these zones is obviously kept at a temperature that is pleasant for passengers.

this air then vents through the sides of the cabin into the cargo holds, some is recirculated and some is vented overboard.

on the ground with the doors open cargo holds assume the outside temperature very quickly, its usually a couple of degrees hotter in the hold than outside.

cargo holds also assume outside air temperature quickly if the cargo door is closed on the ground, as the normal movement of air ie engine-cabin-outflow is disrupted with engines off and doors open.

i'm not sure if it is standard procedure, but i would hope animals would be removed from an aircraft when the engines are not running in a hot environment, even for a short stop.

Isn't it usual to give the dog some sort of sedative before the flight to relax it ?

We we were told that animals must NOT be sedated before a flight. The animal must be alert enough to cope with air turbulence should it be a rough flight. A sedated animal would be falling about all over the place and more likely to be injured.

I'd leave her with your parents if it were me. She'll have a lovely retirement and enjoy her life plus it will give them something to focus on and care for (of yours) once you are gone.

We did this with our whippet in the end. He was only 5 when we left but timid and nervous is an understatement for him. My parents always had him when we went away and adored him. Their own dog died not long before we left and I had to go into hospital a bit for some things and he went to stay with them and never came back to us. It eased their loss of their own dog greatly and then when we moved out here, they had our darling whippet to care for and he really helped them. They still refer to him as our dog and I loved seeing him when we were back in July. I absolutely know we did the best thing for the dog though rather than shipping him because of our own feelings. End of the day, dogs bond with their carer pretty quick. I've fostered no end of dogs and they settle straight in and get on with making themselves comfortable.

And you are right about dog parks, lead and muzzles here. I've yet to see a grey off the leash here (and I am out walking my dog a lot and in different places) and while one or two are walked on leash with no muzzle (they have the paperwork for this) that is it. Its not much of a life for the dog given they are social animals and enjoy a run around. Sure there is the back yard but that isn't a long term option in my book. Also the heat here can mean the hours you can walk them are very early in the mornings and later in the evenings for the dog to be comfortable. Greys and whippets and breeds similar can and do struggle in the heat.

Even though my heart says take her....my head says it's for our not her benefit. Hmmmmm.....

That's the right attitude I think. I see owners posting that they couldn't possibly leave their pet behind because the PET would be devastated, but in many cases the pet would adapt if there is a loving home that would take them. If you truly love someone then you do what's best for them, not what's best for you.

Edited by Marisawright

Only you the owner, knows what's best for the dog: to either sedate them so that they're relaxed, or to go through a tiny bit of turbulence.

Sedation isn't allowed at all ,it used to be as our Spaniel was sedated but that's many years ago

in my case I am putting faith in the company shipping my boy and can only hope and pray all goes well

I'm not a dog owner, but have always wondered if the pet shipping companies make you aware that your dog gets put through an x-ray machine for scanning cargo before it is put on the plane.

I used to maintain these machines in UK and would sometimes be present when they scanned dogs. The dogs would always start howling as they were x-rayed. Not sure if it just because they were going into a dark tunnel or whether they could sense the x-rays. Although not as strong as medical x-rays, as humans we have to wear radiation detection badges to detect exposure and we would NEVER go in the tunnel with the x-rays on.

The newer x-ray machines are more powerful and have two views which is like going through 2 x-rays.

I never understood why it is considered unsafe for humans to be exposed, yet dogs and other animals are put through on a daily basis and whether the owners are actually aware this happens or of possible health risks to the animal.

I think each personal situation is individual ....reading some of the comments in this thread some people seem to exclude any possibility that it just might be in the animals best long term interests to go along with their family. In some cases that is the best option for both the animals and the people and it's both a head and heart decision. A pet is for life...

I feel the whole process of transporting a pet represents but a tiny amount of time in reality of a pets entire life...a few weeks as opposed to all the years ??? For me it's a no brainer ....I wouldn't leave my furry kids...in a way they are being re -homed ...to a new better home that just happens to be still with me and my family in another country. I know they will have a better life where they are going, in both my head and heart, and yes I understand that in order to do this they have to go through a process that carries a small degree of risk, and a degree of unfamiliarity, but for me, my family, and them it's worth doing.

Whilst some will always choose not to understand why people might choose to do this or choose to re home etc ....in the end it's a decision only the persons involved can make on the behalf of their animals ....They have all the facts of their situation most times we do not. As someone said above "Only you the owner, knows what's best for the dog" I think it's just a matter of respecting their choice, their decisions, and to remember that most have good outcomes...things like the original story are the exception rather then the rule.

Edited by maryannen