So you wanna move to OZ?

Huntersmummy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yes Coles has the "international section" that has cadburys, irn bru, tetley teabags. But I don't like paying $10 for 40 teabags.....although i might succumb as being british, good tea is like sex.....hot, delicious and voluntary in the mornings! ;)

The secret is NOT to stick to brands you know. Think back - way back in time, you found your favourite brands by a process of elimination, trying various brands till you found the ones you liked best. You will now see lots of new brands you've never tried - so try them! Who knows, you might decide Dilmah tea tastes even better than Tetleys! If you never try you'll never know.

I found, when I got back to the UK, that I had to change my food buying/cooking habits, otherwise I'd have been paying out a fortune. In Australia, processed foods (e.g. fish cakes, meat with sauces added, ready meals, prepared veggies) are expensive. You'll save a lot of money by learning how to DIY with fresh foods.

Tetley tea bags are on the normal section and not that expensive at all

And they're on spec at Coles atm............$5 for 200 and, I think, if you check prices, even though you think you'd pay more for something considered as "British" that they are amongst the cheapest T bags,l even when not on special. I've never moved past them. The one thing I hung onto when leaving the UK. I preferred them there, I prefer them here..............$5 for 200.................so why pay almost the same amount for half the quantity as in Dilmah, Liptons, and other brands?

Edited by Johndoe

.....although i might succumb as being british, good tea is like

Ahhh the British and their tea! It is very ingrained isn't it.

I was a big daily tea drinker in the UK like everyone I knew.

But nowadays I drink about two cups a year. Literally.

Dilmah tea is lovely. And Twinings (sold in Coles etc...) do a nice "English Breakfast". Coles Online sell PGTips and they are $4.60 for 40 bags.

A pom I know went back and visited the UK last year. He complained when he got back, that all his relatives wanted to do was sit round and drink tea all day. He never noticed it when he was living there.

Ahhh the British and their tea! It is very ingrained isn't it.

I was a big daily tea drinker in the UK like everyone I knew.

But nowadays I drink about two cups a year. Literally.

Dilmah tea is lovely. And Twinings (sold in Coles etc...) do a nice "English Breakfast". Coles Online sell PGTips and they are $4.60 for 40 bags.

A pom I know went back and visited the UK last year. He complained when he got back, that all his relatives wanted to do was sit round and drink tea all day. He never noticed it when he was living there.

I don't drink tea except occasionally to be polite if there was nothing else on offer or when I played cricket (if the bar wasn't open at teatime :wink:) I haven't had a cup of tea since I got here and wouldn't worry if I never did again and I am a born and bred Englishman from a family of tea drinkers I might add. OH is a big tea drinker but has to be Twinings Earl Grey only (yuuuk!!).

OH is a big tea drinker but has to be Twinings Earl Grey only (yuuuk!!).

Yuuuk - I agree with you there.

I have tried Earl Grey several times. Plain black. With milk. With lemon. With honey. And every way is truly vile.

I read on Wikipedia that "there is a considerable history of Earl Grey tea being used as drinks mixer in gin". Never heard of this before.

When I said I don't drink tea, I actually meant caffeine tea like PGTips.

I do actually drink a lot of caffeine-free loose leaf herbal teas. Things like: dandelion, calendula, echinacea, burdock, red clover, stinging nettle, cardamom, ginseng, cleavers, brahmi, rosemary, meadowsweet and ginger.

Yuuuk - I agree with you there.

I have tried Earl Grey several times. Plain black. With milk. With lemon. With honey. And every way is truly vile.

I read on Wikipedia that "there is a considerable history of Earl Grey tea being used as drinks mixer in gin". Never heard of this before.

When I said I don't drink tea, I actually meant caffeine tea like PGTips.

I do actually drink a lot of caffeine-free loose leaf herbal teas. Things like: dandelion, calendula, echinacea, burdock, red clover, stinging nettle, cardamom, ginseng, cleavers, brahmi, rosemary, meadowsweet and ginger.

I can't even stand the smell of it though have become accustomed over the years. My wife prefers de-caf Twinings Early Grey but can't get the decaf version over here so it is caffeinated or nothing. She drinks some herbal teas too. I have never found one I can tolerate, let alone enjoy.

I don't drink tea except occasionally to be polite if there was nothing else on offer or when I played cricket (if the bar wasn't open at teatime :wink:) I haven't had a cup of tea since I got here and wouldn't worry if I never did again and I am a born and bred Englishman from a family of tea drinkers I might add. OH is a big tea drinker but has to be Twinings Earl Grey only (yuuuk!!).

I only drink tea occasionally too - usually when the weather is colder with a nice slice of cake! Don't enjoy the herbal stuff either.

Im very sorry for the term "abbo" if used incorrectly. Ive heard it used a lot since being here and thought, naively it was a well used term to describe the locals. Like "pikes" or "chavs" back home. And yes I've read that over and sounds politically incorrect but I'm not being racist! Just a bit thick with words.

Don't worry about using "Abo" - it is what is usually said when there are no PC-idiots around, and kind of counters the "White c***" that is usually used by the abos. On the other hand, there are some - many - absolutely wonderful indigenous people around, who are a real pleasure to be with, and they are never called abo, but referred to by name and called sir if you are of a generation where good manners count.

Don't worry about using "Abo" - it is what is usually said when there are no PC-idiots around, and kind of counters the "White c***" that is usually used by the abos. On the other hand, there are some - many - absolutely wonderful indigenous people around, who are a real pleasure to be with, and they are never called abo, but referred to by name and called sir if you are of a generation where good manners count.

Totally agree. I've had the privilege of meeting some wonderful indigenous families in their communities through my work in the NT.

Unfortunately, like many things in life, it's a troublesome few who give a whole group a bad name. The sort of drunken, abusive indigenous people you're likely to encounter loitering around smith street mall in Darwin are often people who have been thrown out of their community. So for many tourists or even locals for that matter, their only experience of indigenous Australians is not a particularly favourable one.

• 4 weeks later...