How's Corbachev doing these days?

Harpodom

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The view from afar

"If that sounds apocalyptic then so is the mood of many Labour MPs: obliged to watch at close quarters day in, day out, the incompetent antics of a leadership that has no hope of ever winning a general election but which is nonetheless impossible to dislodge."

http://www.smh.com.au/world/uk-on-brink-of-joining-syria-strikes-labour-on-brink-of-disintegration-20151201-glcz6r.html

One of the best comments I have seen on here was an astute statement that all of this talk of war on ISIL is that war is exactly what it is, and we should not be surprised when the opposing enemy seek to strike back by whatever means to hand.

It is not an astute comment at all.

ISIL have never cared who they kill.

They butcher men women and children just because they can. Doesn't matter whether they are in a western city or peacefully living in the rural countryside somewhere.

If they do not support ISIL's radical views on Islam they will be brutally murdered, usually beheaded or crucified.

Don't kid yourself that they are acting nobly in a time of war.

They butcher men women and children just because they can. Doesn't matter whether they are in a western city or peacefully living in the rural countryside somewhere.

If they do not support ISIL's radical views on Islam they will be brutally murdered, usually beheaded or crucified.

Don't kid yourself that they are acting nobly in a time of war.

There is never any nobility in war but my point is that we should not be surprised that our" enemy" fights back by whatever means possible and that includes attacking his enemy at home and on the battlefield..

Same applies to the West. We have killed well over 100,000 civilians in Iraq since 2003. So why are we any better than ISIS?

Same applies to the West. We have killed well over 100,000 civilians in Iraq since 2003. So why are we any better than ISIS?

You think we go around beheading and crucifying any civilian who doesn't support the west.

If you think we are as bad as ISIS then I feel very sorry for you.

And your comment is so disgusting I will not respond to you again.

Well if you mean they will brutally kill anyone who does not follow radical Islam, that has never surprised anyone has it ?

If that is what you mean I give you a prize for stating the bleeding obvious.

I think they have much less control and coordination than you give them credit for. It's almost like an anarchy.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/07/20/isis-chief-bans-unofficial-execution-videos-because-theyre-bad-for-pr/

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/03/why-its-so-hard-to-stop-isis-propaganda/386216/

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/2015/02/11/how-the-islamic-states-massive-pr-campaign-single-handedly-secured-its-rise/

One of the best comments I have seen on here was an astute statement that all of this talk of war on ISIL is that war is exactly what it is, and we should not be surprised when the opposing enemy seek to strike back by whatever means to hand.

This is unfortunately true. Those who advocate escalating the conflict/war need to accept that all wars last longer than the propogandists would have all believe and casualties of war on both sides are always many times higher than we are ever told. The Great War of 1914-18 was going to be over by Christmas 1914.

For those advocating 'war' so enthusiastically would it appeal so much if you suspected it would last at least a generation, produce hundreds of thousands of collateral casualties and require major cutbacks and increased taxes to kerp paying for the never-ending war effort.....or is it possible if you ever thought this might be the outcome you might exercise your mind to consider alternatives. But of course it will be another quick victory won't it?

There is never any nobility in war but my point is that we should not be surprised that our" enemy" fights back by whatever means possible and that includes attacking his enemy at home and on the battlefield..

Which means that the Japanese brought the atomic bombing of Hiroshima upon themselves because of their unprovoked attack on the USA at Pearl Harbour, IF you believe "any means possible".

And öf course it means that the US and Britain can also reply to 911 and 707 by "Any means possible."

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Which means that the Japanese brought the atomic bombing of Hiroshima upon themselves because of their unprovoked attack on the USA at Pearl Harbour, IF you believe "any means possible".

And öf course it means that the US and Britain can also reply to 911 and 707 by "Any means possible."

They certainly set in train the events that led to it.

Of course 'any means possible' applies to both sides in a war. Presumably you are comfortable with that and as long as more of the other side are dead than your side then you will have 'won', whatever that means.

They certainly set in train the events that led to it.

Of course 'any means possible' applies to both sides in a war. Presumably you are comfortable with that and as long as more of the other side are dead than your side then you will have 'won', whatever that means.

That's right. I don't want war, but there has never been a time where unilateral disarmament is a means of securing peace.

That's right. I don't want war, but there has never been a time where unilateral disarmament is a means of securing peace.

You never know, they may have weapons of mass destruction. It's like a surgeon examining you and saying, 'not really sure what's going on in your stomach, but we'll insert a small explosive device, and hopefully that will sort it out'.

I'm not adverse to military intervention. But it should be conducted by the un, and they should have a purpose and a plan.

Do you want the ira to start bombing again? It is people like corbyn who stopped the bombing. Why do you have a problem with this???[/quote

A member of her majesty's Government pays respect for a terrorist organisation , yep ok ,sorry no I don't agree with this if you think it's ok I think you have got a problem .I Thought it was Mo Mowlem who got them round the table and brought peace to the province . Can't say I had heard of Corbyn before the last labour leader election, This is from someone who had voted labour when I lived in the uk.

Do you want the ira to start bombing again? It is people like corbyn who stopped the bombing. Why do you have a problem with this???[/quote

A member of her majesty's Government pays respect for a terrorist organisation , yep ok ,sorry no I don't agree with this if you think it's ok I think you have got a problem .I Thought it was Mo Mowlem who got them round the table and brought peace to the province . Can't say I had heard of Corbyn before the last labour leader election, This is from someone who had voted labour when I lived in the uk.

Many of HM Government paid their respects to Nelson Mandele, a member of the ANC and a convicted terrorist.

A lot of wrongs were committed in Ireland over centuries. Most of them were committed by the British, I am sorry to say. Take the blinkers off.

Many of HM Government paid their respects to Nelson Mandele, a member of the ANC and a convicted terrorist.

A lot of wrongs were committed in Ireland over centuries. Most of them were committed by the British, I am sorry to say. Take the blinkers off.

As I said I don't agree with it so you think it's ok ?

Havent got any blinkers on

You our haven't answered the question , you agree it's ok to respect terrorists ?

One man's terrorist can be another man's freedom fighter. By certain definitions the Tolpuddle Martyrs, the founding fathers of the USA, and the Suffragettes were terrorists amongst many others. So the answer is yes, that it can be right. Would you say that it is never right to pay respects to someone who is defined as a terrorist.

One thing for sure is that you need to understand the terrorist and his motives. It is more complicated than carpet-bombing them into submission.