My travel thread

Quokka2005

I know i sound a wimp but im not very comfortable with the sound of that. I wish i could skip that bit. I cant swim and im not comfortable in water unless its shallow which is why im wondering wether id even go in with the whale sharks even with a life jacket. I wish id went for swimming lessons before coming here. And i should probably have delayed the trip for driving lessons too haha then i wouldnt be in this problem. Rhe campsite stuff sounds fine though, im not a snob with that kind of stuff. I liked camping on the east coast. Im just not good with hiking or water. I went on national park walks on east coast but they were always proper paths.

Shh parley dont remind me of snakes lol ive still not emcounteted one over here

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How fit do you have to be? I've noticed all the tours are saying that you should be fit because of hiking on uneven slippery ground etc.

If you are under 70, weigh less than 40kg and don't have rheumatoid arthritis you will be fine. It is a get out clause in case someone is patently unfit they can be excluded.

Guest The Pom Queen
If you are under 70, weigh less than 40kg and don't have rheumatoid arthritis you will be fine. It is a get out clause in case someone is patently unfit they can be excluded.

Weigh less than 40kg, wow that me out

I went to the Kimberly's age over 70, not very fit, definitely weigh over 40kgs unfortunately, have fairly bad osteoporosis and coped with almost all of the trip, just avoided a walk in a slippery underground stream, so there's hope for Stacey.

Go for it Stacey.

Edited by ramot

I did have a group but then i went to meet them and it was really obvious that the car wasnt going to make it to broome especially with 3 people and luggage so nobody ended up going. I didnt know it was going to fall through and i thought it would be easy to find other travel mates but its not at the moment. Lots of backpackers have ssaid the same thing.

I just checked and it says 4km a day

It was a shame that the group you were expecting to travel with fell through, but from what you told me about the state, age and size of the car, I doubt it would have reached Geraldton anyway, so I think that all did you a favour in a strange way.

A big part of a WHV year is all about putting yourself into new experiences, and you have done well with that so far, so why not bite the bullet and do the trip. I know that money is an issue, but think about how disappointed you would be when you got back to Scotland if you hadn't done the one thing that you wanted to do all along. I have looked at the itinerary on that tour and honestly Stacey it is amazing and you would see and experience some of the best of the west coast. You will miss Dampier where the Red Dog Statue is, so have you researched if there is a bus you can catch from Broome to Dampier so you can see the statue, and then fly back to Perth from there? There might be someone on the tour who wants to do that, or you might even find a group who are driving south who would take you as a paying passenger to reduce their costs. Sometimes Stacey you just have to bite the bullet and go for it.... but I have said this to you before. You really have blossomed in your time here, but I think you need to just take a risk and go for this.

And 4kms is nothing for a walk dear girl..... the one you did with me and Rolo around the Canning River (through Rossmoyne, Shelley and Riverton actually, not sure if I told you that at the time), was just over 8kms.... so you would be OK with 4kms!

And by the time you have had your west coast adventure, I will be out of hospital and fully recovered (hopefully) so you can come stay with me and Rolo again so you wont have to pay hostel fees etc... and we will show you some more of our fave places closer to the city before you head off back to your Mum and Scotland. Your choice.

And so you know that your new best furry friend would love to have you stay... here is a pic I took of him this afternoon snoozing after a hectic ball game.

Rolo Nose.jpg

Rossy xx

Rolo Nose.jpg

I'm having a "Fed up with Australia" night. There's a lot I love and I will genuinely miss it especially the wildlife but it's such a rip off! I'm trying to do the west coast and really struggling to get it organised. I've tried for a week to find travel buddies, I did go meet one girl with a car but her car wouldn't have made it up there! Had no luck online. Tried the opposite way from broome to perth and its the same -not many people offering lifts. Then I went to book my flight to broome and the price had literally doubled!! From $330 to over $600. Although it does go back down next week.

I looked at doing a tour and its $1600 for 9 days one way. I realise that the distances are massive but how can they still justify that? For camping! Crazy. Few people suggested recently I take my tax refund to Asia. At first I thought hell no but now I'm pretty tempted. The main draw of the west coast for me is that I always wanted to see the red dog statue. Which probably sounds stupid. Otherwise I'll probably have missed the whale sharks and there's a 50% chance that I'd freak out and not go in because I can't swim.

I just wish it wasn't so expensive here. I'm going to have another look and see if I can even do a trip to exmouth instead of broome

Sadly it is a rip off. Wasn't always the case. Hard to believe now but there was a time travellers found Australia rather cheap. Not Asia cheap, but cheap compared to UK. It'll be interesting to read your views on Broome, if you ever get there. I made my views on Broome known on another, earlier thread. Love The Kimberley though. Cheap is not a word that slips of the tongue though.

You took long enough to come and back me up on it lol :laugh: now i look like a cheapo aus hater haha. If i go with this pair then we arent stopping in broome long cos theyve been there a few days now. The next proper stop will be karinjini. God help me :laugh:

You took long enough to come and back me up on it lol :laugh: now i look like a cheapo aus hater haha. If i go with this pair then we arent stopping in broome long cos theyve been there a few days now. The next proper stop will be karinjini. God help me :laugh:

If you can get to the Bungle Bungles while on your trip, they were one of the high lights for me, we lashed out for a helicopter flight over them.

Also really liked Katherine and took a sunset cruise on the gorge, another highlight.

Have a great time wherever you get to.

I'm not going further than broome. Just broome to perth to see ningaloo etc. Then im going somewhere in asia on the way home hopefully

Just check the tides if you are planning a trip to the reef, we were fairly dissapointed as there was a neap tide.

Broome was ok, lovely sunsets with the camels on the beach.

As I said before enjoy everything and don't go back to UK with any regrets about missing out on anything.

It's probably only when you get home you will realise how much you have experienced this year.

emailed you a couple of photos from Broome xM

Edited by ramot

Broome is ok. if a little underwhelming. Prefer Derby myself or the area around there and above. Gibb Road, big fan of eating at the Derby Jetty and swimming in the local pool and repairing at Gillards for coffee afterwards. Broome does have a great kebab place though, ran by a Middle Eastern guy. (not a great fan of kebab, but his are well above average) In general though over priced and limited but again, outside of Broome some great places. Being a fan of rocks found some of my favourites from anywhere, sadly the majority were stolen down here in Perth.

I dont have that much interest in going up to darwin. I think im happy to just go from broome to perth. It would cost even more money too and id have to wait around for a lift again. Hopefully i like exmouth etc. Maybe i'll even like karinjini. Im a bit pissed off that im probably not going to get to the red dog statue though. It was the one thing i wanted to see

Guest The Pom Queen
I dont have that much interest in going up to darwin. I think im happy to just go from broome to perth. It would cost even more money too and id have to wait around for a lift again. Hopefully i like exmouth etc. Maybe i'll even like karinjini. Im a bit pissed off that im probably not going to get to the red dog statue though. It was the one thing i wanted to see

You will be missing one of the most beautiful road trips ever. We did half of the route with @Bobj and could have spent 6 months there easily there is so much to see and do in the Kimberlies. Same with Darwin, I think it is wonderful, but then I like quiet places with nature and wildlife.

Guest The Pom Queen
My parents are grey nomads.

They are somewhere along the west coast.

Please say hello to them if you see them on the way.

They have a 4x4 and a caravan, so shouldn't be hard to miss :laugh:

Lol, them and thousands of others. What a lovely trip. I can't wait until we can do the full journey one day. I would pick @Bobj and Jo up and we would just hit the road for a year, wow that would be my dream holiday.

You will be missing one of the most beautiful road trips ever. We did half of the route with @Bobj and could have spent 6 months there easily there is so much to see and do in the Kimberlies. Same with Darwin, I think it is wonderful, but then I like quiet places with nature and wildlife.

You'll have to send me a tour guide to follow Hun [emoji7] [emoji4] xx

If I can make just one person smile, then I've made a difference.

Guest The Pom Queen
You'll have to send me a tour guide to follow Hun [emoji7] [emoji4] xx

If I can make just one person smile, then I've made a difference.

Lol we will all go together, may be a few years until I'm finally away from hospitals but it's a goal to aim towards. Bobj knows some wonderful places.

Lol, them and thousands of others. What a lovely trip. I can't wait until we can do the full journey one day. I would pick @Bobj and Jo up and we would just hit the road for a year, wow that would be my dream holiday.

They go for ten weeks every year, they haven't seen a Melbourne July or August this decade.

Lucky buggers