My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake was the one who suggested it. He wants to go to Bali before he leaves Darwin, I've never really fancied Bali but it would be a good way of splitting up my time between leaving here and going to cairns. If we go together it'll only be for 4 days but if I go alone I'll probably go for a few extra days

Ah jakes just a friend, we got chatting on the backpacker Facebook group and spoke to each other since summer. Then when I got to Australia we phoned each other everyday or 2. We get on well so we decided to try travelling together because neither of us are fans of the party scene type thing and he's got a van now. Going to travel to Brisbane together and then maybe go our own ways or travel the rest. Just going to see how we get on

Ah jakes just a friend, we got chatting on the backpacker Facebook group and spoke to each other since summer. Then when I got to Australia we phoned each other everyday or 2. We get on well so we decided to try travelling together because neither of us are fans of the party scene type thing and he's got a van now. Going to travel to Brisbane together and then maybe go our own ways or travel the rest. Just going to see how we get on

How many beds in the van?

Yeah I know someone who is in kuta, I don't think it would be my cup of tea. Jake prefers quieter too. I had never heard of seminyak so he must have researched it. He wants to go up a volcano though. No chance

No big deal. You can easily walk to Kuta from Seminyak. Latter is far preferable if you prefer quiet. Some good French bakery places for breakfast. A good cheap massage centre nearby. Beach easily walkable.

Volcano no biggy either. All controlled these days. A day trip have lunch and take in the sights. Very easy.

Ive walked up a volcano before. I'm just really unfit so I'd probably snuff it lol

No way I would walk up a volcano - no matter how much safety stuff they've got, they can't 100% guarantee it won't erupt. If they could be that accurate, we wouldn't have volcano scientists getting killed in eruptions would we?

Though there's another reason I'd hesitate to go up - I'm asthmatic and the fumes can set off an asthma attack, don't fancy having an emergency half way up a mountain.

Yeah I know someone who is in kuta, I don't think it would be my cup of tea. Jake prefers quieter too. I had never heard of seminyak so he must have researched it. He wants to go up a volcano though. No chance

Kuta merges into Legian, which merges into Seminyak, which merges into Kerobokan... Seminyak is the more upmarket of the 3 but they are all much of a muchness, and I love them all. In this respect - Go for it :-) Bali is amazing. The culture, the people, the heat, the food - just don't get worried by the pushy sales people.

If they ask if its your first trip, tell them no - you go twice a year. Your not shopping this holiday :-)

Its wet season at the moment but that only means an hour or so of rain every day. Its just a big downpour then back to sunniness.

There is nothing to worry about with the volcano in Bali, (Kintamani) - there is actually an amazing day trip bike ride from the top of the volcano down through villages and eventually to Ubud. Its brilliant. In 12 visits to Bali its easily the best thing I have ever done. And would do it again, time and time again.

The sensible bit... Mount Ranjani / Ash Clouds!

Before you go - check your travel insurance. There have been a lot of volcanic eruptions in Lombok recently and the ash cloud has closed Bali airport more times than I can remember. Sometimes for a week at a time, this has gone on since May, and whilst it seems to be settled at the moment it could easily erupt again. There's no risk to you in Bali - the only risk is that your flight gets cancelled, and you get stuck there for a day, or a week, or maybe 2. As this has been on going for so long a lot of insurance companies are not currently covering Bali for disruptions caused by volcanic ash clouds. Depending on when you took out your insurance, you may - or may not be covered. If you aren't covered - I would honestly say, don't go.

I hope you are covered - and you get to go, as Bali is like heaven for me and I think you'd love it.

I've decided not to go to Bali at the moment. It was going to work out quite a lot just for 4 days and then I'd still have to find the money to go to Perth for the rest of the time. I think I'll have to find a hostel that lets me work a few hours a day for my bed. Possibly even try get some casual bar work for a few weeks