My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I experienced my first hostel shag.... And no it wasn't me doing it. 2 of them actually, might even have been 3 people haha. It was awful, there's only so much fingers in ears someone can do. Definitely moving room in the morning, one of the girls in my group went and got the security to chuck the guys out. Which did entertain me. 2 of these big Australians chucking 2 or 3 skinny English guys out and telling me them were weirdos :laugh:

i feel like I've hit all my important hostel milestones now - I tried goon at the start of the week and now this happened :laugh:

Well I experienced my first hostel shag.... And no it wasn't me doing it. 2 of them actually, might even have been 3 people haha. It was awful, there's only so much fingers in ears someone can do. Definitely moving room in the morning, one of the girls in my group went and got the security to chuck the guys out. Which did entertain me. 2 of these big Australians chucking 2 or 3 skinny English guys out and telling me them were weirdos :laugh:

i feel like I've hit all my important hostel milestones now - I tried goon at the start of the week and now this happened :laugh:

I don't know how good this hostel is Stacey, but I spoke to a young English girl in the Strawberry Hills hotel who says this is where she lives, long term hostel accomodation in a four berth room. She has also had no problem getting bar work.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g255060-d275612-Reviews-Rooftop_Travellers_Lodge-Sydney_New_South_Wales.html

some parts are nice, I really liked coogee. I'd probably like bondi and manly. But I just don't like the actual centre. I don't know wether it's because I constantly get lost lol

I loved living in Sydney but I never liked the centre either! The only reason I ever went there was to work!

I lived in Randwick but would have been happy to live in Coogee. Easy commute to the city on the bus, but actually when my niece was living in Randwick, she found it easier to find cafe work locally than in the city.

Anyway, please don't stay in Sydney just because you're scared of going anywhere else, that's a bad reason to be anywhere!

Thanks, I'll have a look

The Blue Parrot Backpackers in Potts Point gets good reviews on TripAdvisor. Don't know how expensive it is though. I loved this comment in one review:

The staff are all super friendly and helpful ( expecially the lovely scottish lad Harry).

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g255060-d286118-Reviews-Blue_Parrot_Backpackers-Sydney_New_South_Wales.html

I don't think Sydney CBD necessarily holds much interest. It is a purely functional space. I think the interesting aspect of Sydney is the differing suburbs. Suburbs like Balmain, Coogee, Potts Point, Kirribilli, Erskineville.. even Cabramatta! hold some degree of interest and variety. As a place to live.. I would have to say one of the northern suburbs and commute by train. Everyone needs a bit of peace and quiet.

I hated the CBD. And unless I'm getting some Asian tucker - I see no need to really venture there. I never liked Darling Harbour or many of those other tourist meccas. Concrete wonderlands. Sydney to me is Coogee/ Randwick - the Eastern suburbs and Circular Quay. The few places I really like being. And for that I would not pay to live there.

I love Adelaide because you basically get all this in a nutshell in a city which isn't overwhelming. Plus you can get out of the city easily. The city is clean, is adjacent to good beaches, hills and has a relaxed vibe. And it's not so touristy.

The blue parrot one is almost $170 for 4 nights.

Yeah I don't think I've been very fair on Sydney when there's other nice areas. But I'm not sure I could afford to live there and save. I reckon I'm going to have to go live in a tent on a beach somewhere haha

I think I'm going to Melbourne either at the end of this week or start of next week. Me and parley are going to be best buds

Well he's going to LOVE you if you choose his city to SYDNEY! :shocked:

But but but.. there's no beaches in Melbourne???

...And then a bit further around the coast to Adelaide which is REALLY Australia's best kept secret. (Don't worry we only put the bogans at the entrance to scare people off).

I think I'm going to Melbourne either at the end of this week or start of next week. Me and parley are going to be best buds

I told you, not Parley his son unless he votes Tory too ;)

Wow..Thanks. Sometimes you do surprise me lol. I do feel like I'm giving up on Sydney but it's just really difficult here between finding a flat and a job and it's just going to eat up my money. By the sounds of it Melbourne might be more my thing. A girl was telling me different areas to try for hospitality work, I think one of them was st kilda

I live in the Eastern Suburbs.

I have never really spent much time in the inner suburbs like St Kilda.

I expect there would be more opportunities for work close in in places like St Kilda.

Those places are very crowded and busy.

I like the more leafy Eastern Suburbs where it is a bit quieter.

Wow..Thanks. Sometimes you do surprise me lol. I do feel like I'm giving up on Sydney but it's just really difficult here between finding a flat and a job and it's just going to eat up my money. By the sounds of it Melbourne might be more my thing. A girl was telling me different areas to try for hospitality work, I think one of them was st kilda

You can try some of the cafes along Brunswick Street Fitzroy. that I know employ those on WHV's. Good area with quite a bit going on. St Kilda pretty decent as well. Melbourne would me my choice between the two. I'm reasonably sure you'll find it more manageable than Sydney.

There again not a fan of the suburbs. I used to stay in North Balwyn. Too far out. Great house though.

Archived