Why We're going

LochStock

*Spoiler – may take 10 minutes out of your day to read*

So I’ve been thinking for a while on whether or not to post this, as it’s all my thoughts put down on proverbial paper, as anyone can see from my profile; I’ve been following this forum for a long time but only recently became more active once I’d received my Visa grant notices for my partner and I.

What’s apparent, and this actually applies to every single online forum in the history of ever, is a lot of people will give their opinion in certain threads that call for it, but act like they cannot possibly conceive why other people that go through a similar experience could possibly have a different opinion on the matter.

So having read a good lot of this sites hugely entertaining and informative content I thought I’d share my story with you, as to why a 29 year old from Glasgow, Scotland, is uprooting from a very well paid web design job (relative to my age and industry) that currently supports a modest flat and two cars whilst my partner is studying and working on her own online business and gamble everything on a move to the other side of the world with no job or permanent home waiting on us when we get there.

I’ve been to Australia twice, on a WHV in 09-10 and a short holiday with my partner in 2013 for two months. She wanted to see the place a little before making a mature decision on where both our futures may or may not lie as we were getting pretty serious about each other.

We absolutely fell in love with the culture, the lifestyle and especially the weather. Over the two visits we’ve stayed in a lot of various places for a few weeks at a time in WA, Victoria, NSW and Queensland

The weather, beaches and lifestyle really appeal to us, I play a lot of outdoor sports and I appreciate a lot of people have said they actually prefer the British weather, but we don’t like it at all. Different strokes for different folks and all that, but for us there is no better feeling than stepping out into the sunshine for a walk in the park or a run or cycle or even drive somewhere, or in my case onto a grass pitch with the sun beating down getting ready to kick off a game.

Whilst those days exist in the UK, realistically in the Scottish summer you can’t plan with any degree of certainty to do an outdoor activity that benefits from sunshine, 2 - 3 weeks in advance. It always has to be a last minute decision. Whereas depending on where you stay in Australia, there’s a vastly increased likelihood you can make good weather dependant plans weeks in advance and still fulfil those.

Some people love the four seasons and actually like the snow in winter and the leaves in autumn, and again you form these opinions based on your own experiences and memories created growing up but you know what? We both hate the cold and the snow, don’t mistake me for being melodramatic I could continue to live here quite comfortably for my future and put up with it for the days / weeks out the year that we actually get it bad, but the fact the country seems to come to a grinding halt every time it does get over 6 inches deep has always made me a little embarrassed about living here.

Another major factor that largely affects Glasgow culture, not entirely sure I’ve spent enough time in Edinburgh or other cities to properly comment, is how accepting we generally are of the alcohol and violence and football problems.

To try and articulate this better - I actually really like Glasgow and recommend everyone to come and visit and spend some time here but I’d also feel compelled to say, unlike a lot of 1st world major city and tourist destinations you may have visited, you won’t really be able to get a late night coffee or restaurant meal if you’ve gone to a late showing at the cinema or the theatre because a lot of them shut down and stop serving food at around 9- 10. Largely for no other reason other than it’s an accepted part of Glasgow culture, if you stayed open later than that, they run the risk of enduring serious trouble at the hands of the odd violent drunk and it’s not worth it for them. I can live with it, I can see the good outweighs the bad in Glasgow but I’m also personally fed up with the fact that everyone’s always seemed to be quite accepting of our problem and not a lot ever seems to get done about it.

Last time I was in Melbourne, my dad’s cousin took us to a horse racing night at Mooney Valley and afterward when I asked if we were going home he said he’d take us for a good pizza, I thought he meant take out, and when we actually got to sit at a restaurant and order food and start eating around midnight, in a restaurant that was still pretty full completely blew my mind. You just couldn’t do it in Glasgow, and I daresay most of Scotland, because for all it would be just a minority there would definitely be a crowd of people that saw it as just another place where people could continue to booze and be loud, abusive and a nuisance to the other customers.

The idea that if I went out for a night out in that city and didn’t have to plan for it to be strictly over and done with in time for the last bus at 2.30am was a complete game changer. I just remember thinking over and over throughout that entire trip “I really wished I lived here” as silly as this paragraph may have been to read to some. Is that a sole reason you should uproot? no, but it’s definitely a factor in the category of a more identifiable culture or better lifestyle.

There’s also the family argument – I do completely understand people who said they’ve found it too difficult to be so far away from loved ones, but unfortunately we just can’t relate. Again, every person on this forum is different and has their valid opinions and experiences.

We do have family but neither of us are close to them at all, to the point that, when we initially talked about really doing this and reading the posts on here on the subject, something that’s regularly such an absolutely monumental deal breaker for a great deal of you, is a matter of complete and utter inconsequence for us.

So that’s how I can be in the situation I’m in, others who’ve had a different childhood and different experiences may find they could be quite content were they in my place, I may even come across as crazy to be giving all this up, but my partner and I simply just flat out don’t like living here, even with all our fortunate circumstances we’ve been lucky to take advantage of.

So we are giving everything up, I do have relatives in Australia who are giving us a place to stay for the first month and I have some contacts in the IT industry I made on my last visit that I plan to reach out to, but we’ve both looked at what we have, we both have foreseen where that leads and we’ve both agreed we want something different for our lives. We believe Australia has a great chance of providing it.

We might never get the jobs or chances to be in a similar situation we have now, we may have to work longer hours for less pay but we’re both willing to do it, we’re both willing to get involved in the local community wherever we settle and try and positively contribute. (I’m looking to set up teaching drums and see about getting the relevant coaching qualifications to perhaps help out coach in a local team) We’re willing to go through all of that hard work because we both loved our time in Australia and think it could be perfect for us and our hobbies and our lifestyle choices.

Now it could all not work out, we could end up back here in a much worse situation than when we left but neither of us wants to reach our 60’s or 70’s, look back on this time and regret not taking the chance when we had it. Most important to us is our happiness and our bright future together so that’s why we’ve taken the decision and why we’re going. See y’all next year.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can entirely understand. We're both in our early 40s and prepared to give up well paid jobs and take our 2 young children to the other side of the world, because life is too short for ifs and buts. Better to look back and say you tried than never to have tried at all. Life's for living and if we are fortunate enough to gain visas then why would you now take that leap.mappreciate everyone is different, some more risk averse than others, but hey, life would be dull if we were all the same,

wozzie ( patiently:wacko: waiting for our 12 yr old boxer dog to pass on so we can move on with the next chapter.shes one stubborn pooch!)

Thanks all, yeah I realise not having kids and a mortgage automatically removes what would be two significant factors in our decision. We plan on making all that happen for us once we've actually settled there!

I also appreciate the irony in making such a big deal about the changeable weather and then planning to emigrate to Melbourne initially of all the cities. I did live in Melbourne in the summer of 2010 and winter of 2013 though and the harshest winter day we experienced was akin to a bad rainy and windy day that we get all the time in Autumn here.

Wozzie I can completely relate to the situation with your pet, our dog was ill and we knew it would be too treacherous to try to arrange travel, she passed in MAY and I remember thinking whilst my own brother was in the room 'Well there's definitely nothing keeping me here now'

A lot of my work mates and family members have said things to me like 'I just don't understand, Scotland has absolutely everything any one cold ever want whatever their taste' it's actually a really common attitude I encounter and that may very well be true and certainly is for a lot of my friends but somehow ever since I first visited Australia I've known it's not for me.

You are only 29 with no kids and you're fairly independent of your family.

I'm the first to raise concerns when families post here about migrating - but I'm happy to tell you and anyone like you, I think you're doing the right thing, go for it!

I was in your situation, just a little older, with a partner but no kids. It was certainly easier when I migrated over 30 years ago because jobs were very plentiful and housing was far more affordable - but it hardly matters at your point in life, if things don't work out you have plenty of time to pick yourselves up and start again, and in the meantime you've had an adventure. Who knows, it might last 30 years, like mine, or even forever!

It's often a different story for an older couple with kids and an established home. You can't just throw all the kids' toys and clothes away, and you can't expect them to doss in a backpackers' hostel while you look for a home. You can't manage without a car, you have more mouths to feed while you look for work, school uniforms to buy - so for a family, it can easily cost £20,000 to £30,000 just to get to Australia and get started. That is often a huge chunk of the family savings and if things go pear-shaped, they may be too old to recoup all that they've lost. That's why you see so many people pointing out the downsides of migrating to those people.

None of that applies to you though - have a blast!

Some people love the four seasons and actually like the snow in winter and the leaves in autumn.

Yet again I find myself scratching my head over this comment.

Australia has four seasons - spring, summer, autumn and winter.

In spring all the buds come out, in summer it is warm, in autumn the leaves turn red and in winter it is cold and sometimes snows.

Maybe not as "distinct" as the UK but it still occurs in many areas.

Great post loch stock, I totally get what your saying and me myself and my husband feel the same way however we have 2 children in tow who are up for the adventure! Iam 35, my husband 40 with a 13 and 11 year old and it's now or never! Huge risk but young enough to start again if all doesn't go as planned! We are taking a massive risk but as an intensive care nurse life is definitely to short for regrets!

Good luck

Loulou

I spent 3 weeks in Perth in winter (July/Aug 2013)....I hadn't been as cold as I was then for years!! And I hate the cold. The houses without real fires just don't seem geared up for it. Single glazing and a chilly bathroom!! Brr...... The sunny days do make up for it though. But I'm going anyway (when I get that visa) and will be taking a vest or two and my hot water bottle - so don't discard all your Scottish woolies just yet!! All the very best for your adventure.

Appreciate the post but do tend to agree with some of the others that at your age, with no mortgage or kids you are pretty free to go anywhere you feel like it that appeals and don't need to justify that to anyone but yourselves (although a post is nice to read) :)

I moved overseas in my early 20's and didn't look back once. My only thought once I had left was what took me so long to leave.

Honestly, you have lots going for you. You were able to get a visa for Aus so of course, go for it and see where life takes you once you are here. Things like the weather, if you think you'll like the climate more in Melbourne, hope it proves that way for you. You of course could be one of those people 10 years from now saying they can't wait for a cold Christmas in front of a fire, big roast with the family and all that. In Scotland. Don't over think it too much going out. Its pretty simple for you atm, no real strings and it'll be an adventure. Go enjoy it :)

A good read and I can totally relate. I have a good life with a good job here in Canada, but I want to go to Australia for one simple reason. Winter. I hope I never seen snow again in my life.

Whenever I read about North American winters I always think of "Fargo?" (2nd series starting this weekend and if it's as good as the first (and the movie the first series was based upon), it will be fantastic.

I loved winter, snow and ice when I was growing up in England but when I went back to live there, I was frightened of icy roads and pavements.

I spent 3 weeks in Perth in winter (July/Aug 2013)....I hadn't been as cold as I was then for years!! And I hate the cold. The houses without real fires just don't seem geared up for it. Single glazing and a chilly bathroom!! Brr...... The sunny days do make up for it though. But I'm going anyway (when I get that visa) and will be taking a vest or two and my hot water bottle - so don't discard all your Scottish woolies just yet!! All the very best for your adventure.

It is definitely cold in many Aussie homes during the winter, and often warmer outside, the reverse of English homes with their central heating. Perhaps you can find ways of alleviating the cold by looking for a home which gets more of the sun, has reverse-cycle air-conditioning, or a unit in a more favourable position in the block.

Yet again I find myself scratching my head over this comment.

Australia has four seasons - spring, summer, autumn and winter.

In spring all the buds come out, in summer it is warm, in autumn the leaves turn red and in winter it is cold and sometimes snows.

Maybe not as "distinct" as the UK but it still occurs in many areas.

Nonsense. I've been living in Melbourne for over 3 years (a city the locals claim has 4 seasons in a day) but am yet to see a snowflake. Yes, for part of the year the weather is decidedly Autumnal (i.e. cold, wet and windy) but this turns to spring (intermittent showers and sunshine) before getting anything close to winter (snow and ice).

Nonsense. I've been living in Melbourne for over 3 years (a city the locals claim has 4 seasons in a day) but am yet to see a snowflake. Yes, for part of the year the weather is decidedly Autumnal (i.e. cold, wet and windy) but this turns to spring (intermittent showers and sunshine) before getting anything close to winter (snow and ice).

OK that's your opinion of Melbourne weather. That's fine. Inland Australia definitely has four distinct seasons. Areas inland from Sydney eg Blue Mountains, Bowral, Mount Wilson and towns like Armidale. Not sure about Queensland. For sure here in Tasmania and we also have snow.

Whenever I read about North American winters I always think of "Fargo?" (2nd series starting this weekend and if it's as good as the first (and the movie the first series was based upon), it will be fantastic.

What channel is that on mate? We saw the first series on foxtel and yes, it was brilliant

What channel is that on mate? We saw the first series on foxtel and yes, it was brilliant

It was on SBS free to air first on Thursdays. I've not checked TV times but I'm sure I saw in TV guide in SMH on Mon, SBS were showing 1st series in a marathon followed by the start of new series, maybe this weekend.

I just checked. Today and next Sat SBS showing 1st series then new series premiers on Wed 21 double header. I can't record free to air as Foxtel not set up to receive those channels. I have to switch to TV mode and I go out Wed to pub quiz so need to see if I can catch it on computer.

?Second series has good reviews too.

It was on SBS free to air first on Thursdays. I've not checked TV times but I'm sure I saw in TV guide in SMH on Mon, SBS were showing 1st series in a marathon followed by the start of new series, maybe this weekend.

SBS are showing a 5 minute "Sneak Peek of series 2" but still not clear when they'll actually start showing the series.

Archived